Hello Grinch:

Very interesting.

The actual act is at http://www.hud.gov/offices/pih/ih/codetalk/negreg/briefingbook/nahasda25.pdf

According to the act the tribe must have already submitted a plan for a housing unit to be located in Indian Country AND has already worked out cooperating agreements with the local communities. I would imagine that would be for fire, ambulance, water, sewer, etc. Seems strange they don't even know where they're going to locate yet. They, OBVIOUSLY, have no such agreement considering both counties rejected their offer. AND they have no Indian Country here on which to put it. I think we should ask HUD to see a copy of their "plans".

They, furthermore, are "supposed" to be low income. I see their numbers have jumped on paper to 500 from the 400 they had during trial, only 150 of which they testified lived in NYS. Even so, they are pulling in as much as this grant is, every week, in sales and excise taxes not remitted to the state. Hardly what I'd consider to be "low income".

Top that off with the Boston Globe reporting last week that President Bush said there would be NO trust applications approved for AT LEAST eighteen months.

It would seem if someone were to go after this, they could have those funds cut off. However, the 1988 Tribal Self Governance Act allowed tribes to decide for themselves how to spend their federal funds and eliminated all oversight. Consequently, tribes get the money and do what they want with it.

Any bets they don't make some political contributions with it? I see that ICT has endorsed Hillary for Pres. Think that may be a thanks for her vote in June to continue excluding tribes from the campaign finance law?

Good to see Okla back on the forum. Welcome back Okla. Things were getting quiet.

The cut & paste below has some off characters in it, but I'm not taking the time to clean it up.

NATIVE AMERICAN HOUSING ASSISTANCE
AND SELF-DETERMINATION ACT OF 1996
PUBLIC LAW 104–330—OCT. 26, 1996 110 STAT. 4023

Section 102:

(b) PLAN REQUIREMENT.—
(1) IN GENERAL.—The Secretary may make a grant under this Act on behalf of an Indian tribe for a fiscal year \only if—
(A) the Indian tribe has submitted to the Secretary an Indian housing plan for such fiscal year under section 102; and
(B) the plan has been determined under section 103 to comply with the requirements of section 102.
(2) WAIVER.—The Secretary may waive the applicability of the requirements under paragraph (1), in whole or in part, if the Secretary finds that an Indian tribe has not complied or cannot comply with such requirements due to circumstances beyond the control of the tribe.
(c) LOCAL COOPERATION AGREEMENT.—The Secretary may not make any grant under this Act on behalf of an Indian tribe unless the governing body of the locality within which any affordable housing to be assisted with the grant amounts will be situated has entered into an agreement with the recipient for the tribe providing for local cooperation required by the Secretary pursuant to this Act.
(f) PLANS FOR SMALL TRIBES.—
(1) SEPARATE REQUIREMENTS.—The Secretary may—
(B) waive any requirements under this section that the Secretary determines are burdensome or unnecessary for such tribes and housing entities.

SEC. 201. NATIONAL OBJECTIVES AND ELIGIBLE FAMILIES.
(a) PRIMARY OBJECTIVE.—The national objectives of this Act are—
(1) to assist and promote affordable housing activities to develop, maintain, and operate affordable housing in safe and healthy environments on Indian reservations and in other Indian areas for occupancy by low-income Indian families;