Get arch supports and never go barefoot. I had the same problem a few years back. I don't remember the exact name of the condition, but it is a result of the arch falling. The tendon that runs through the arch begins to shrink and where it attaches to your heel and the ball of your foot, it rips away, causing the pain. The doctor I went to recommended I get the Spenco Orthotic insoles. They are a hard plastic insole that doesn't give. Amazing how much better my feet felt after using them. They are a bit expensive. I think the last pair I bought were around 25 bucks.
It's hard for a gay man to feel bad about himself when his urologist asks him out on a date!