https://www.newsweek.com/farmer-2018-bailout-trump-announces-16-billion-subsidy-1435626

FARM ORGANIZATION PRESIDENT SAYS HE HASN'T RECEIVED SUBSIDIES FROM LAST YEAR AS TRUMP ANNOUNCES $16 BILLION BAILOUT

BY DANIEL MORITZ-RABSON ON 5/24/19 AT 2:38 PM EDT

The president of the National Black Farmers Association said he still hadn't received money from President Donald Trump's first farm bailout in 2018 after the White House announced on Thursday it would provide farmers with another $16 billion to offset their losses from the ongoing trade war with China.

"Right now, I still haven't received my payments from the last round that the president—the $12 billion that he promised farmers. And generally when the government gets involved, and there's paperwork and necessary things that have to be filled out in order to participate in a certain subsidy, that means bad news for black farmers and small-scale farmers," John Boyd Jr. said while speaking with CNN anchor Don Lemon on Thursday night.

Boyd questioned why farmers, who voted overwhelmingly for Trump in the 2016 election, continued to support the president despite suffering financial damage from the trade war.

"White farmers are hurting more than we are, and I don't understand for the life of me why they aren't more vocal about the financial conditions that they're in," he said. "These farmers are going to end in bankruptcy and committing suicide and losing their farms and they're still talking about supporting the president."