IN AMERICA: It usually starts small

Mr. Trump complaining that the news he doesnít like must be slanted started out slowly.

A comment here and a comment there. Just a touch of complaining at the beginning of his campaign.

(Some may even have cheered this practice. I mean, really, who hasnít wanted to tell someone off when they say something you donít want to hear?)

And as the campaign went on he started to complain a bit more. And then a bit more.

And now that heís the President he complains almost constantly. So much so that itís now normal to have him make the most utterly outrageous statements concerning the media and we all just sit by and let him rant...

I wrote this column with a great deal of understanding of how a dictatorship starts. My mom grew up and lived through Hitlerís Nazi Germany, and as a child I heard stories that you didnít read in our history books. I sat at the dinner table after we had eaten and Mom would talk about the Nazi party members intimidating anyone that didnít agree with them ... how my grandfather was accosted over and over for not spouting the party doctrine that was broadcast over the airwaves. And how the news media was your enemy.

By PETE MITCHELL