Via MIT Scientist Stephanie Seneff

"Hector is one of my personal heroes. Read about how his university is treating him..."

“I saw the removal of my field laboratory as an infringement of my academic freedom,” he says. “The college prevented me from exploring new methods of agriculture that challenged the college’s central vision about the future of agriculture in Hawai‘i.”

Banned from Three Islands

...Keyser stated in an email that if Valenzuela held one more community meeting on the island he could no longer use the university’s research station there to conduct workshops.

Monsanto Money and Influence

...taking money from corporations like Monsanto can influence “in troubling ways” the intellectual inquiry that should be at the heart of education and research.

Valenzuela “Shocked, Insulted and Humiliated” by Attacks

Valenzuela said many of the personal attacks against him came from university administrators “under the approving eye of the dean, as they continued to persist over the years.”

“Silicon Valley of the Plant World”

...the university started to market seeds for a genetically modified type of papaya that it had co-developed with Cornell University.

New Pesticides, Old Concerns

...they are applying chlorpyrifos at a rate that’s five times the national average. Chlorpyrifos, the most widely used bug killer in the world, is a neurotoxin found to damage the brains of developing children.

...they are applying the weed killer atrazine at a rate that’s 14 times the national average.

Silencing Valenzuela’s Allies

A few other faculty members at the University of Hawai‘i have privately revealed in emails to Valenzuela their concerns about biotechnology and the way he has been treated. But none of the other faculty members were willing to divulge their names, for fear of retaliation.

http://times.org/2015/05/19/the-silencing-of-hector-valenzuela/