Comedian Bill Maher Comments On Maui’s Monsanto Predicament

December 29th, 2014

MN: Similarly, you may have heard that Maui had its own “power of the people” moment with respect to passing a bill calling for the suspension on the growth, testing and cultivation of GMO crops here in Maui County?

BM: All I can say to the folks on Maui who were a part of this is “You go, girl!” That’s fantastic. I’m jealous. We tried to do something like that in California a couple years ago.

In that case, we weren’t asking Monsanto to change anything. We were just asking that they let us know: Give us the information, label the products, so we can decide for ourselves.

Well, of course, a company like Monsanto, which owns all the great lobbyists in the world, went to work and they convinced people that it would cost them more money at the grocery store.

It was a disingenuous and dishonest thing to say, but it worked and people voted it down.

But we’ll be back again.

These things always take more than one time – medical marijuana, legal marijuana, gay marriage – it takes a while before people get used to an idea. They’ll get used to this, and we’ll have success.

MN: On this end, the bill is moving to federal court. The giant is awake, as it were. From your own firsthand experience ruffling political feathers, do you have any advice you can share?

BM: Get a good lawyer!

You have got to fight these people on their own turf with their own tools. You can’t fight them singing Kumbaya.

Monsanto is – from my point of view – the most evil company in the world and that’s saying something in a world that also includes ExxonMobil, pharmaceutical companies, defense department companies and all sorts of merchants of death.

Monsanto has the potential to REALLY f#@k with all of us.

And they’re ruthless. They’re the Scientologists of the corporate world. I worry a lot about Monsanto, honestly, and I suppose my advice would be don’t bring a knife to a gun fight.

http://mauinow.com/2014/12/29/comedian-bill-maher-comments-on-mauis-monsanto-predicament/