Originally Posted By: Timbo
Originally Posted By: kyle585
]Inn terms of this thread, I would say that removing the obligation to pay taxes (state or federal) in most cases is appropriate. There may be some possible exceptions, but none presently come to mind.
How about county sales taxes on their businesses?(This is just a pass through tax which you collect from your customer at point of sale). How about local county and town property taxes and local school taxes?
Originally Posted By: Timbo

No, not if they are wholly Indian owned.

I would however consider taxes or fees for certain acts upon the environment that are the result of Indian actions which could cause possible harm or damage outside of Indian/tribal land to be a potentially reasonable requirement (and vice versa).

And I stress the word "potentially".
As an example: an Indian buys a large prosperous crop and dairy farm anywhere in New York state for a million dollars with a beautiful home on it and 100 acres of land. It has been owned by non-Indians for 200 years who are currently paying $10,000 annually in local property and school taxes on it. Do the new Indian owners have to continue to pay these local taxes?