FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1513413 --- 02/24/18 05:16 PM Home made bread cost?
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
has anyone ever priced how much the ingredients would be if one would make their own bread at home?

white bread cost per loaf made at home?

wheat bread cost per loaf made at home?

FingerLakes1.com
#1513428 --- 02/26/18 01:12 PM Re: Home made bread cost? [Re: bluezone]
SilverFox Offline

Loc: Waterloo
I don't know if it would be cheaper to make your own bread but it would be healthier. Homemade bread does not have all the preservatives that commercial bread have to prevent spoilage. Simple solution is to freeze the homemade bread.

#1513552 --- 03/08/18 12:36 PM Re: Home made bread cost? [Re: SilverFox]
DeReRustica Offline

Loc: Boondox, Seneca Co.
Capital cost (amortized over 100 loaves)
Bowl: $0.10
Measuring cup: $0.02
Loaf pan: $0.02

Variable cost

Flour: 4 cups $0.22 (generic all purpose)
or $0.90 (King Arthur Bread Flour)
Salt 1 tsp $0.01
Yeast 1 tsp $0.35
Water 2 cups $0.00
Oven 2.5 KWh $0.25

Total cost $0.97 (plain) or $1.85 (fancy)

The cost for whole wheat bread is the same as the King Arthur version.

#1514131 --- 04/12/18 03:43 PM Re: Home made bread cost? [Re: DeReRustica]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
found a different break down

Quote:
The Price Breakdown
Iíll go through the ingredient list and do a price breakdown so that we can figure out whatís cheaperÖstore bought or homemade.
5 3/4-6 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
I often get my flour for $.99/5 lb bag. However, letís assume that youíre paying $2.50 for that bag. That means each cup of flour costs $0.125. So, six cups of flour costs $0.75.
1 pkg (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
I buy my yeast in bulk, which is the only way to go if you want to save money by baking. Yeast in packets is way, way, too expensive. Two pounds of yeast costs me about $3.50. As best I can figure, this means that each 2 1/4 teaspoon portion of yeast costs almost $0.03.
2 1/4 cups milk
The cheap store-bought bread contains water, not milk. Water costs a negligible amount, so Iím not even going to count that in the cost per loaf.
2 tablespoons sugar
There are 180 tablespoons of sugar in a 5 pound bag. Generic sugar can be had for $2.50/bag, which makes each tablespoon cost $.013. So, two tablespoons costs $.026, and weíll round it up to 3 cents to be generous.
1 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil
The store bought bread uses oil, so thatís what weíll use too. Generic vegetable oil is usually about $3 for 48 oz, which means that each tablespoon costs $o.03.
2 teaspoons salt
Generic salt is $.50 or less (I think itís $.33 at Aldi), and there are 122.75 teaspoons in a 26 oz container. So, two teaspoons of salt costs $o.008. Ď
So, the ingredients for this recipe (which makes two loaves) comes to $0.818. Weíll round it up to $0.82 to make things simple. This makes two loaves of bread, though, so the ingredients for a single loaf only cost $0.41.
What about electricity costs for the baking, though? Mr. Electricity estimates (though he thinks this is high) that an hour of 350 degree baking costs $.24. This assumes a price of $.012/kwh, which is higher than what I pay (I pay below $0.10/kwh).
So, the half hour of baking this bread calls for would cost $.12, and we can assume this is probably on the high end of things.
If I baked only one loaf of bread at a time (I almost never do that!), the ingredients would cost me $.041 and the baking would cost me $0.12. Thatís still only $0.53 for a loaf of bread. If I bake two at a time, the cost per loaf goes down to $0.47/loaf.
What about the time cost?
Bread baking does take a few hours from start to finish, but actually requires very little hands-on time. It takes me about 10-15 minutes to make a batch of dough, and then the dough needs to rise for an hour.
It then takes me another 5 minutes to shape the risen dough into loaves, at which point the dough needs to rise for another 30-45 minutes.
And then it takes me all of about 1 minute to put the risen loaves into the oven, where they bake for 25-30 minutes.
Add in another few minutes for doing dishes and wiping counters, and Iíd say thereís maybe a 25 minute hands-on time investment. I have bread baking down to a science, though, so I think I get it done in less than 25 minutes.
Whatís the bottom line?
A loaf of storebought white bread costs $.99 (though it might be less at Aldi. Readers?).
A loaf of homemade white bread costs $0.47-$0.53 plus a 25 minute time investment.
So, without including the time factor, homemade bread is cheaper or at least as cheap as most storebought white bread, especially if you take into consideration the fact that a loaf of homemade bread weighs more than 16 ounces.
Once you add in the time factor, though, storebought bread wins. Even assuming a minimum wage time value, 25 minutes of effort bumps the homemade bread cost way up.
Why donít I give up baking my bread?
Mainly itís because I like good bread. Comparing a loaf of freshly-baked homemade bread to a loaf of processed, airy bread isnít really fairÖitís almost like comparing apples and oranges.
It would be much more fair to compare a loaf of homemade bread to a loaf from Panera, and if I did that, the homemade bread would win hands-down price-wise.
So, itís much cheaper to satisfy my desire for good bread by baking my own than by buying good bread.
Along those same lines, once you start getting away from bargain basement bread comparisons, homemade bread really starts to gain an advantage. Whole grain bread, English muffins, bagels, cinnamon swirl loaves, coffeecakes, dinner rolls and the like are all fairly expensive, and I am positive that the homemade versions save me money. Maybe making sandwich bread doesnít save me a bundle, but making cinnamon bread does.
What should you do?
I donít knowÖthatís for you to decide! Your time, your tastes, and your priorities may be different than mine, so I canít say whether or not you should take up yeast baking. Iím positive that Iím going to keep baking most of my familyís baked goods as long as Iím able, but that might not be the best choice for you.
If you are a happy baker like myself, though, I think you can rest assured that at the very least, youíre not putting yourself into the poorhouse by baking from scratch.