#1513268 --- 02/16/18 05:41 AM Re: Breaking News [Re: Formermac]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Above ground

#1513270 --- 02/16/18 06:46 AM Re: Breaking News [Re: Formermac]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

The GOP hypocrisy is once again at the forefront of our American society. We can debate and argue about immigration policies while accusing immigrants as being the source of crime here but when the criminals are home grown and many times particularly non minority, the explosive backpedaling and denial becomes very prevalent. Our Conservative friends seek to deport, demonize, falsely blame the innocent but never in any type motivation, address the horrific act carried out by our own, in particular, mass killings. GOP, your actions or better said, the lack thereof is so blatantly discriminatory and obvious that even the young people suffering at the hands of these mass murderer are now calling you out. I find it very offensive and hypocritical when a bunch of old rich White men call themselves the mouth piece for guns when in reality, it's the young & minority facing the crime which is overtaking our country. Their answer to this subject "just get rid of them" but simultaneously doubling and tripling the amount of guns manufactured and purchased. Consider our neighboring country Canada which is very diverse as well, maybe someone can explain their lack of mass murdering, particularly in their school system.

#1513276 --- 02/16/18 12:12 PM Re: Breaking News [Re: Formermac]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

#1513357 --- 02/21/18 11:48 AM Re: Breaking News [Re: Formermac]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teens-hold-lie-white-house-slideshow-wp-185947842.html

Very proud of our young people who are making their voices heard but as always, the Republican accused them of being puppets for the Democrats. Fact: The Conservative groups can't conceive of peaceful coexistence let along organized rallys in which they contend must create hatred, screams of racist remarks and guns to make for a true rally.

#1513362 --- 02/22/18 07:16 AM Re: Breaking News [Re: kyle585]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Yesterday at the town hall meeting with our intelligent young people, our dysfunctional president suggested that teacher be adept at carrying a conceal weapons in a previously labeled gun free zone but as of this morning another lie proceeds his usual trend of changing his tune the day after by saying he never said arming teachers but quote, training certain teacher who would be adept at shooting a gun. Yes he is just as "adept" as a chameleon, the ability to contradict himself and change at the drop of a hat. In the real world, it's known as being a pathological liar. Also note the lack of presence by Trump and governor Rick Scott at a one on one later on in an open forum whereas your lies are not so easily pushed on to these wonderful kids.

One young lady articulated it correctly, Republicans will continue to support the NRA while she called it BLOOD MONEY.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-pathetically-weak-apos-father-032232595.html

#1513371 --- 02/22/18 06:30 PM Re: Breaking News [Re: Formermac]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018...pped/365122002/

This article blows a hole in the premise of teachers or citizens for that matter who think that they need a gun in their possession (note I said possession).Our obsession with guns and the mentality that we can mimic what we see on TV is totally a myth and the truth be told, shooting at live target verses a stationary one is heart pumping and nerve wracking for many. I will not pass judgement on anyone that looks down the barrel of a gun knowing that they must either kill or be killed. You Republicans talk a good game but I suspect that most of you are like Barney Fife, all braggadocio but in reality, nervous as a cat in the room full of moving rocking chair.

#1513385 --- 02/23/18 05:35 PM Re: Breaking News [Re: Formermac]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

More companies cut ties with the NRA after customer backlash

by BEN POPKEN

More and more American businesses, including car rental companies, an insurance giant and a major bank, are severing ties with the National Rifle Association in the face of torrents of criticism from customers on social media.

The backlash began on Thursday after the First National Bank of Omaha (FNBO), which has an NRA-branded Visa credit card, said in a statement that it had decided not to renew the contract.

Shortly afterward, other companies announced they would end their NRA membership discount programs.

The groundswell comes amid calls for tighter gun control after the shooting at a high school in Parkland, Florida, last week that claimed the lives of 17 people. Those calls have been rejected by the NRA, which instead has pointed the finger at school security, the mental health system and the FBI.

The Nebraska-based First National Bank of Omaha said Thursday they will not renew its contract to issue the group's National Rifle Association Visa Card. Nati Harnik / AP
A spokesman for Visa said in a statement: "FNBO has informed us of its intention not to renew the NRA co-branded card program when its agreement with the NRA expires. We will support the issuer’s efforts to wind down the portfolio smoothly."

A marketing website for the card was offline as of Friday. But a cached version of it said customers would "DEFEND FREEDOM with the NRA Visa Card" by helping fund NRA programs. The ad said it gave members $35 after their first transaction, "enough to reimburse your one-year NRA membership!"

Survivors of the Parkland shooting and customers took to social media to demand that companies end any NRA-related programs.

David Hogg, a survivor of the Parkland massacre, tweeted his gratitude to companies who announced they were ending their partnerships, and, in a series of individual tweets, Hogg asked other companies to follow suit.

Some did. Among those cutting ties with the NRA were the car rental groups Enterprise, Hertz, Avis and Budget; the insurance giant MetLife; the software firm Symantec; and the Boston-based home security company SimpliSafe.

NYU marketing professor Scott Galloway said the companies are making a smart business move to protect their brand.

"The most valuable person in world of consumer business is an 18 year old. They have influence over what the rest of us believe is 'cool' and have a lifetime of discretionary spending ahead of them," Galloway told NBC News. "Their recent galvanization against the issue has made the NRA very uncool and an easy target for firms wanting to say to the most important cohort 'Hey, we get it, and are with you.'"

But Matt Schulz, senior industry analyst at CreditCards.com, said that the firms are walking a thin line.

"This is a bold move," said Schulz in an email, "but also a risky one because passions burn so hot on both sides of the topic of guns. Many will applaud the move, but NRA members are famously loyal and the organization has shown itself as being very good at mobilizing its members, so there's a real possibility of a significant backlash."

Amid the genuine customer and user outrage, it appeared that Russian trolls might be taking part in the campaign as well. Accounts with suspicious profiles that matched signs flagged by researchers as being likely trolls or bots tweeted about and directly at the individual companies. Some of the accounts taking aggressive stances also used hashtags flagged by Hamilton 68, which tracks activity by known Kremlin-linked accounts, and showed signs of automated behavior.

Suspicious Twitter accounts also jumped into the social media debate in the immediate aftermath of the shooting to stoke divides on both sides of the gun control debate and spread hoaxes.

#1513411 --- 02/24/18 04:45 PM Re: Breaking News [Re: Formermac]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-agre...ctions?ref=home

Democrats Shred Devin Nunes’ Surveillance Memo

The memo is in response to one declassified by President Trump alleging surveillance abuses by the FBI.

#1513427 --- 02/26/18 12:49 PM Re: Breaking News [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

MY god. Is there anyone who believes this? Anyone?

CNN
&#8207;Verified account @CNN
52m52 minutes ago

Trump on Florida shooting: 'I really believe I'd run in there, even if I didn't have a weapon' http://cnn.it/2CkAQYs

#1513429 --- 02/26/18 01:42 PM Re: Breaking News [Re: kyle585]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

Not even his crazy supporters believe that one.
No smiley face or joke here, one of the biggest insults he could levy on the grieving families.

#1513434 --- 02/26/18 06:11 PM Re: Breaking News [Re: kyle585]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: kyle585
Trump on Florida shooting: 'I really believe I'd run in there, even if I didn't have a weapon' http://cnn.it/2CkAQYs

Do you mean like THIS? grin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KMA3-pGgTs

#1513442 --- 02/27/18 05:48 AM Re: Breaking News [Re: kyle585]
cwjga Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: kyle585
https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-agre...ctions?ref=home

Democrats Shred Devin Nunes’ Surveillance Memo

The memo is in response to one declassified by President Trump alleging surveillance abuses by the FBI.

Analysis: How Adam Schiff's Much-Hyped 'Counter-Memo' Actually Hurts His Case
Guy Benson

Let's take a moment to once again step back and re-set where things stand in DC's dizzying memo wars. Earlier this month, House Intelligence Committee Republicans released a memo that raised questions about the methods through which the Obama-era Justice Department conducted a wiretap investigation on former Trump campaign aide Carter Page during the 2016 election season. In my analysis of that document, I concluded that it was neither the outrageous bombshell being hyped by some Republicans, nor the irrelevant flop claimed by Democrats. The truth, I wrote, fell somewhere in between -- cautioning that more information would be needed to reach an accurate assessment. The most concerning allegations put forward by Devin Nunes and committee Republicans were: (1) That the FISA warrant application to monitor Page relied on the unverified contents of an anti-Trump dossier compiled by ex-British spy Christopher Steele (which included hearsay from top Russian sources), and (2) that the FISA court was not made aware that the Steele dossier was funded by Hillary Clinton's campaign and the Democratic National Committee. Were those claims true?

The apparent answer to that question arrived in the form of a more specific (and, frankly, more damning) memo written by Republican Senators Chuck Grassley and Lindsey Graham, which we dissected here. Grassley and Graham cited intelligence and evidence demonstrating that the DOJ leaned heavily on the Steele dossier to obtain the FISA warrant, without independently corroborating its content. The Senators also revealed that in seeking the warrant, federal investigators did not even remotely adequately notify the judges that the central basis for the warrant (Steele's dossier) was opposition research funded by the Democratic Party. These are alarming facts, even if one isn't inclined to believe this was all part of a witch hunt -- after all, Carter Page had been the target of federal surveillance vis-a-vis Russian connections years earlier, and the feds' counter-intelligence investigation into Russian election meddling predated the Page warrant, and was triggered by the actions of a separate Trumpworld figure.

In any case, for weeks, Adam Schiff and his fellow partisans loudly insisted that the Nunes memo misleadingly cherry-picked information in order to distort the wider picture. Their counter-memo would expose the GOP's chicanery, they said, while blasting Republicans for supposedly compromising intelligence 'sources and methods' through the publication of their initial memo. On that last point, the Nunes file did nothing of the sort, as became clear to anyone who bothered to read it. It was the Democrats' version that actually risked national security information, according to the FBI, which requested redactions to protect...sources and methods. That's why the release of Schiff's memo was delayed as long as it was. This episode represented a one-two punch of dishonesty and hypocrisy on the part of Schiff. As for its substance, calling it a dud may be generous. After cutting through the haze of attacks and accusations, Schiff's memo does not rebut -- and therefore effectively affirms -- the two primary points raised by Nunes and seemingly confirmed by Grassley/Graham. Former federal prosecutor Andrew McCarthy reviews the facts and determines that Schiff has inadvertently vindicated the core of Nunes' case:

The FBI and the Justice Department heavily relied on the Steele dossier’s uncorroborated allegations. You know this is true because, notwithstanding the claim that “only narrow use” was made “of information from Steele’s sources,” the Democrats end up acknowledging that “only narrow use” actually means significant use — as in, the dossier was the sine qua non of the warrant application. The memo concedes that the FISA-warrant application relied on allegations by Steele’s anonymous Russian hearsay sources...Another major takeaway from the Schiff memo is that the FBI and the DOJ withheld from the FISA court the fact that Steele’s work was a project of the Clinton campaign. Naturally, the reader must ferret this admission out of a couple of dense paragraphs, in which Democrats risibly claim that the “DOJ was transparent with the Court about Steele’s sourcing.”

...A prosecutor does not get to tell a judge reasons that a source’s reports should be thought free of bias while leaving out why they should not be thought free of bias. If you know it’s necessary to disclose that “identified U.S. person” [Fusion GPS founder] Simpson was being paid by “a U.S.-based law firm” (Perkins-Coie), then it is at least equally necessary to disclose that, in turn, the law firm was being paid by its clients: the Clinton campaign and the DNC. To tell half the story is patently misleading...In sum, the Schiff memo does more to harm than to advance the Democrats’ defense of the Obama administration and the use of the FISA process by the FBI and the DOJ.

His full breakdown is quite lengthy and significantly more detailed than the excerpt I've relayed. I'd encourage you to give it a careful read, but I'll highlight a few more points that jumped out at me: First, in applying to renew the FISA warrant against Page, the DOJ was apparently not forthcoming about why the FBI decided to cut ties with Steele: "The Schiff memo is disingenuous in claiming that the warrant applications were forthright with the FISA court about the reasons for Steele’s termination as an FBI source. The Grassley-Graham memo explains that the court was apparently told that Steele was dismissed over contacts with the press. The FISA judges were not told that Steele had lied to the FBI about contacts with the press." That's an important distinction. Steele's credibility was of enormous relevance to the legitimacy of the warrant, due to his work's outsized influence in securing the warrant in the first place (especially because his findings were seemingly presented without independent verification). The FBI decided to cut him loose because he was lying to them, a fact that does obvious and serious damage to Steele's reputation as a reliable source. It should have been transparently disclosed to FISA judges, not withheld and obfuscated.

One last point, via McCarthy, that I feel obliged to flag: In my original post about the Nunes memo, I partially downplayed the seriousness of the Obama Justice Department targeting Carter Page because the warrant application was filed after Page had left the Trump campaign. That struck me as a salient strike against the notion that a Democratic administration may have been spying on a Republican campaign operative for sketchy reasons. But it's not quite that simple, McCarthy writes (emphasis his): "The Schiff memo repeats the canard that the Obama administration was not really spying on the Trump campaign because the DOJ waited until the Trump campaign cut ties with Page before seeking a surveillance warrant. What Democrats fail to mention is that the surveillance enabled the FBI to intercept not only his forward-going communications but also any stored emails and texts he might have had. Clearly, they were hoping to find a motherlode of campaign communications. Remember, Page was merely the vehicle for surveillance; the objective was to probe Trump ties to Russia."

I'm still not convinced that we're looking at some malicious conspiracy to prevent Trump from getting elected (if that's what it was, it manifestly failed), but the warrant's capacity to ensnare retroactive communications is a relevant piece of information that cuts against an argument I'd previously advanced. All in all, it seems to me that the Nunes memo was over-hyped in advance by some of its supporters, then the Democrats similarly oversold the impact of their response. The good news is that when taken together, the Nunes, Schiff and Grassley/Graham documents paint a clearer picture of what happened here. Namely, it appears as though the DOJ may have cut ethical corners (I don't know if any of this amounts to misconduct or illegality) in the process of tracking a Trump-tied figure (of whom they'd been wary long before Trump sought the presidency) and his connections with the Kremlin.

I'm hopeful that Robert Mueller's eventual conclusions will address not only any crimes that may have been committed by Russians -- or by members of the Trump administration and campaign -- but any overreach or abuses undertaken by the Justice Department in the early stages of the probe he inherited. Separately but relatedly, a nonpartisan Inspector General will soon render a verdict about the Justice Department's bizarre and controversial handling of the Clinton email scandal, which I hope will also be clear-eyed and definitive.

#1513443 --- 02/27/18 06:11 AM Re: Breaking News [Re: cwjga]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

When will we ever learn that partisan issues only divide the country, he said she said along with opinion. It's very evident that your narrowed minded issue is just that but in the end reality and truth will find it's way to the surface. Fact, several Trump associates plead guilty, fact, our nation is in turmoil in regard to race, gender, gun control but you harp on submitted suggestions......Let's see what materialize in November but I'll guaranteed you this much, I have the common sense to keep my mouth shut and see what happens versus a idiot tweeting everyday with nonsense and nothing else.

#1513444 --- 02/27/18 06:14 AM Re: Breaking News [Re: cwjga]
Formermac Offline
Silver Member

The reason we know that you're narrowed minded, where is the other side of the equation of a dysfunctional government that is criminally crooked, corrupted and dirty? or do you submitted that this is only a Democratic issue? Yep, you're just that one sighted in your thinking. laugh

#1516644 --- 07/11/18 05:04 PM Re: Breaking News [Re: Formermac]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Charley Utah &#10084;&#65039; &#128509; &#9996;&#65039; &#10052;&#65039; Retweeted

Ed Krassenstein
&#8207;
@EdKrassen
33m33 minutes ago
More
A pregnant immigrant woman lost her baby, when a detention center official refused to allow the bleeding woman to see a doctor. Don't claim you are "pro-life" if you defend President Trump's policies which allow this sh*t to happen!

You say "all lives matter!"
I say "BULLSH*T!"

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7