FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#980361 --- 02/16/09 06:14 PM A dedicated hard drive for the OS...
Octelly Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
Hey all,

I am just wondering how much of a speed boost will I get if I grab a second HD to be soley dedicated to the Operating System.
I am running Vista with 4 gigs of ram and a duo core intel chip.
It isn't as horrible as some people say.

My other comp runs XP, but has a slower CPU, less ram, and a less beefy video card.

I am just looking to get a few more fps from the games I play.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

FingerLakes1.com
#980424 --- 02/16/09 07:23 PM Re: A dedicated hard drive for the OS... [Re: Octelly]
Bing Bong Offline

Loc: the road to hell
I don't think you'll see a speed increase at all. Why would you?

#980486 --- 02/16/09 09:39 PM Re: A dedicated hard drive for the OS... [Re: Bing Bong]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Finger Lakes National Forest, ...
I'm kinda outta my element here as a the dad of a super computer game playing video freak who's good at what he does.

And that's online gaming. WOW now. Was all first person shoter a while back ... and, watching him, I thought for sure he was cheating. He was too good. He walked through Grand Theft Auto and owned anyone online he went against.

But he had done what you suggested; he had two hard drives with one dedicated soley to gaming, nothing on it but his access codes and ISP address (gaming verification for their "Punk Busters.")

As I got into first person shooters for a few years myself, I learned quickly that the more bandwith = the better.

I know that has nothing to do with your hard drive/drives other than without your hard drive ya can't uses it to get ya online ... but ...

If you had a real clean, powerful hard drive, with a state of the art processor and a KICKASS video card with lotsa RAM...

your "PING" time went down, and, the slower the PING, the faster you are than that guy out in Chicago that's trying to kill that cyber you.

If his ping is, say 100, sorta real high, and yours is 18 ...You gonna win that fight.

We can fix that.

America is not THE problem.

Next time. Vote for the AMERICAN.

#980499 --- 02/16/09 10:39 PM Re: A dedicated hard drive for the OS... [Re: SkySoldier]
Octelly Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
Thanks Sky.

When I used the abbreviation "fps", I ment "Frames per Second" not "First Person Shooter" (sorry, I should have wrote it out). I also play WoW, and I wanted to try and smooth out some of the more populated (laggy) zones.

#981011 --- 02/18/09 04:38 AM Re: A dedicated hard drive for the OS... [Re: SkySoldier]
PYmastersteve Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: SkySoldier
I'm kinda outta my element here as a the dad of a super computer game playing video freak who's good at what he does.

And that's online gaming. WOW now. Was all first person shoter a while back ... and, watching him, I thought for sure he was cheating. He was too good. He walked through Grand Theft Auto and owned anyone online he went against.

But he had done what you suggested; he had two hard drives with one dedicated soley to gaming, nothing on it but his access codes and ISP address (gaming verification for their "Punk Busters.")

As I got into first person shooters for a few years myself, I learned quickly that the more bandwith = the better.

I know that has nothing to do with your hard drive/drives other than without your hard drive ya can't uses it to get ya online ... but ...

If you had a real clean, powerful hard drive, with a state of the art processor and a KICKASS video card with lotsa RAM...

your "PING" time went down, and, the slower the PING, the faster you are than that guy out in Chicago that's trying to kill that cyber you.

If his ping is, say 100, sorta real high, and yours is 18 ...You gonna win that fight.
Stop playing WoW!!! its horrible! Play counter strike source!! I have my own server, ill be more then happy to give you the Ip and let you play there!

#981012 --- 02/18/09 04:39 AM Re: A dedicated hard drive for the OS... [Re: Octelly]
PYmastersteve Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: Octelly
Thanks Sky.

When I used the abbreviation "fps", I ment "Frames per Second" not "First Person Shooter" (sorry, I should have wrote it out). I also play WoW, and I wanted to try and smooth out some of the more populated (laggy) zones.
Unfortunately nothing will fix your ping unless you move to the country the server is from...Ping is how fast your net connects with the net the server is running on, i get 20-40 ping on my server, based right here in NY

#981119 --- 02/18/09 07:38 AM Re: A dedicated hard drive for the OS... [Re: PYmastersteve]
Bing Bong Offline

Originally Posted By: PYmastersteve
Unfortunately nothing will fix your ping unless you move to the country the server is from...Ping is how fast your net connects with the net the server is running on, i get 20-40 ping on my server, based right here in NY

Your point is correct: You can speed up your machine but you can't speed up the net. Pings are somewhat deceptive, since the route a ping takes may not be the route that your packets will take while you're playing. The web is dynamic, and the routing is constantly changing as the traffic load changes. Also, your outbound route is usually different from your inbound route, adding to the variables.

#981124 --- 02/18/09 07:51 AM Re: A dedicated hard drive for the OS... [Re: Bing Bong]
Gold Member

Everyone should have a dedicated hard drive.

(And a romantic bone)

Edited by Festus! (02/18/09 07:52 AM)

#981127 --- 02/18/09 08:01 AM Re: A dedicated hard drive for the OS... [Re: ]
Bing Bong Offline

Originally Posted By: Festus!
Everyone should have a dedicated hard drive.

(And a romantic bone)

I have the bone...