FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#975811 --- 02/08/09 12:53 AM Pactiv Works to Save Jobs
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Alternatives to unemployment benefits

New York State is offering companies an alternative to layoffs. Officials are encouraging companies to take advantage of The Shared Work Program.

This is how it works: Instead of giving pink slips the company can cut hours and wages. Then, the state will step in and pay employees a percentage of lost wages. Under this program a person who makes $400 a week would get a $320 check from his/her employer and $40 in Shared Work benefits. If the same person was laid off he/she would only get $200 in unemployment benefits.

Fifty-four local companies are taking advantage of the program, saving nearly 4,000 jobs, including Pactiv in Canandaigua. According to the State Department of Labor, 650 Pactiv employees are receiving benefits.

"These people really care about their employees, they want to help their employees," said Michael Manikowski, Executive Director of The Ontario County Office of Economic Development. “They're doing everything possible to help these people hang in there."

Updated at: 02/06/2009 6:08 PM
By: Deanna King

FingerLakes1.com
#975866 --- 02/08/09 07:33 AM Re: Pactiv Works to Save Jobs [Re: newsman38]
jojotaxpayer Offline

Loc: Ontario County
Stupid, just another band aid to stop the bleeding.

The state needs to take whatever money they have left and put it into repairing the mortal wounds. Not the superficial ones.

#975873 --- 02/08/09 08:01 AM Re: Pactiv Works to Save Jobs [Re: jojotaxpayer]
P Offline

Loc: Fingerlakes ny
Originally Posted By: jojotaxpayer

The state needs to take whatever money they have left and put it into repairing the mortal wounds. Not the superficial ones.

Pray tell, In this down turned ecomomy...... offer some solutions (not that your voice will be heard in Congress) Who has the mortal wounds & which group only need a band-aid? Any attempt to prevent more (As you say)bleeding can be effective. Here in Ontario County, the unemployment rate is equal to the state and national rate(almost 8 percent) why do we wish to see another company lay off workers and add to this rate locally?

#975874 --- 02/08/09 08:05 AM Re: Pactiv Works to Save Jobs [Re: P]
dummy2 Offline

Loc: Penn Yan
I saw the Channel 10 news there yesterday. Wonder what for? I hope they do well at keeping jobs.

#975946 --- 02/08/09 11:30 AM Re: Pactiv Works to Save Jobs [Re: dummy2]
Sovereign King Offline

Loc: Auditioning on Broadway
Originally Posted By: dummy2
I saw the Channel 10 news there yesterday. Wonder what for?

To go bobsledding... What do you think? Probably to do a story a story on this.

#975948 --- 02/08/09 11:42 AM Re: Pactiv Works to Save Jobs [Re: Sovereign King]
Sovereign King Offline

The State obviously needs to do something, but what? The whole idea of business is pretty much succeed or go out of business, provide a product or service in need or go out of business. So NY is gonna start handing out mini bailouts to bigger companies in NY threatening layoffs? Why is that fair? Why should one business get help to stay in business and not give help to another? Just because they employ more people? For example why shouldn't the book nook have gotten a bail out? Sure it's easy to say we are helping them out because we don't want people laid off. ...but you are defeating the idea of free enterprise. SUCCEED OR FAIL. All this will start doing is keeping big companies from restructuring or re prioritizing to offer a product or service in need. Just threaten a layoff and get some of that gov't cheddar...

The money would be better spent by forming a program in NYS (on top of unemployment) that pays laid off workers to help fix up the community or help out in a school that cannot afford additional hands due to budget cuts. The last thing they should be doing is just giving money to big business. Who knows creating a program I've mentioned could put laid off workers into a factory to clean up and paint. Making the empty factory more attractive to a business that can compete in these times...

#975949 --- 02/08/09 11:45 AM Re: Pactiv Works to Save Jobs [Re: Sovereign King]
Samuel Offline

Loc: Potter, NY
Originally Posted By: Sovereign King
Originally Posted By: dummy2
I saw the Channel 10 news there yesterday. Wonder what for?

To go bobsledding... What do you think? Probably to do a story a story on this.

Don't get smart with me mister!! Hey, I saw Ronald McDonald on the Main Street bridge this morning. What's going on with that?

#975954 --- 02/08/09 12:05 PM Re: Pactiv Works to Save Jobs [Re: Samuel]
Sovereign King Offline

Originally Posted By: Samuel
Hey, I saw Ronald McDonald on the Main Street bridge this morning. What's going on with that?

Has Aunt Bee been putting peyote in your oatmeal again?

#975958 --- 02/08/09 12:13 PM Re: Pactiv Works to Save Jobs [Re: Sovereign King]
Samuel Offline

Loc: Potter, NY
Originally Posted By: Sovereign King
Originally Posted By: Samuel
Hey, I saw Ronald McDonald on the Main Street bridge this morning. What's going on with that?

Has Aunt Bee been putting peyote in your oatmeal again?

Never tried any. What's it do? Your forgetting I am THE original redneck from Potter. I got a buzz from smoking baling twine.

#975962 --- 02/08/09 12:23 PM Re: Pactiv Works to Save Jobs [Re: P]
jojotaxpayer Offline

Loc: Ontario County
Originally Posted By: Papa4
Originally Posted By: jojotaxpayer

Pray tell, In this down turned ecomomy...... offer some solutions (not that your voice will be heard in Congress) Who has the mortal wounds & which group only need a band-aid? Any attempt to prevent more (As you say)bleeding can be effective. Here in Ontario County, the unemployment rate is equal to the state and national rate(almost 8 percent) why do we wish to see another company lay off workers and add to this rate locally?

They need to get deeper to the root of the problem. Like high taxes and living expenses caused by organized labor unions, health care and welfare. It causes a ripple effect and makes central NY a very expensive place to live and conduct business.