FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#994305 --- 03/14/09 08:47 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: justaxme]
Sweetcakes Offline

Loc: Southeast of Disorder
I guess i get my turn to deal with them Mon.. Just got a bill for just under a grand..My monthly bill usually runs around 350!!!!

FingerLakes1.com
#994349 --- 03/14/09 09:35 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: reilley]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
Originally Posted By: reilley
go get tham buzzards! They are nasty,nasty people. If I was that nasty to people , I couldn't sleep at night.

I agree. I got a termination notice from them for $13.00 one time. I can't think of 1 good thing to say about NYSEG.

#994368 --- 03/14/09 10:39 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: justaxme]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Loc: between here and there
Ha! I know that feeling , I had gotten a very large sum of money a couple of years ago. Everything had cleared so there was no holds on any of the money... I wrote a check for $10.00, it bounced,I had over $30,000 in the bank and it BOUNCED !!!! I went to Auburn and blew my top.... they tried to blame ME! I Then started making calls in front of the manager, she said she would take care of it asap,in 10 min, I had the ck fee back in there and everything was set. 20 minutes later I walked out of the bank with $35,000 and went to a different bank... they were so pissed ,They wanted to give me a check I said no ...
They even tried to call my hubby but he wouldn't answer the phone(he had no idea who it was).. The next bank was suprised to see me with all that cash.
So Yes banks can be nasty too,but gees I found a bank that was great to me.

#994377 --- 03/14/09 11:42 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: reilley]
Phit Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I have had problems with banks in the past, but when I went into credit unions I found peace.

#994536 --- 03/15/09 06:46 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: Della]
*Sparkey* Offline

Loc: Baby Jail
Originally Posted By: Della
Originally Posted By: reilley
go get tham buzzards! They are nasty,nasty people. If I was that nasty to people , I couldn't sleep at night.

I agree. I got a termination notice from them for $13.00 one time. I can't think of 1 good thing to say about NYSEG.

They are crazy people..my Jan bill..$450.00..then my Feb..$1888????..so I pay $1800..they were knocking on my door for the $88..then I get a bill last week that says it is $1600..it says that when I paid the $1800 the bill was really $2600..and the new charges are $800..NO WAY..I will be calling tomorrow!

#994664 --- 03/15/09 09:11 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: *Sparkey*]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
Good God!

#994677 --- 03/15/09 09:29 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: Sweetcakes]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Loc: Geneva
I'm on the budget. NYSEG estimates my usage higher than my actual usage. I pay every month on time and then I get a bill for a little over $1000.

I will be calling them Monday as well.

Definitely going to make a complaint with the PSC.

#994683 --- 03/15/09 09:34 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: Taxpayer14456]
justaxme Offline

Loc: On top?
Originally Posted By: Taxpayer14456
I'm on the budget. NYSEG estimates my usage higher than my actual usage. I pay every month on time and then I get a bill for a little over $1000.

I will be calling them Monday as well.

Definitely going to make a complaint with the PSC.

I hate the budget. I pay as I go. If the bills are to high, I just turn down the heat. And in the summer I am rewarded with $35-$45 bills. I read every other month. I am not loaning NYSEG any money!!!!

#994699 --- 03/15/09 09:49 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: justaxme]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

I found it easier. I am re-thinking that tho. Usually in February in the past I have paid $0 up to a couple hundred and change to play catch up.

Now I get a bill for a little over $1000.

I just did a little on-line research and there are alot of complaints made about the same thing as i'm experiencing.

#994700 --- 03/15/09 09:50 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: Taxpayer14456]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Here you go folks:

http://www.dps.state.ny.us/

File your complaints.

This many people experiencing the same problem all can't be wrong.

#994710 --- 03/15/09 10:13 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: Taxpayer14456]
justaxme Offline

Loc: On top?
I found it easier. I am re-thinking that tho. Usually in February in the past I have paid $0 up to a couple hundred and change to play catch up.

I just did a little on-line research and there are alot of complaints made about the same thing as i'm experiencing.

I'm curious. Is $1000 for your home? I have a 2500 sq ft home and my worst might be $400.

#994742 --- 03/15/09 11:08 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: justaxme]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

holy my god, are you guys kidding? I thought my daughter was joking when she said her bill was 800.00. temp is down,no lights except 4 hrs a nite.... Boy I think the phone wires are gonna be hot tomarrow

#994796 --- 03/15/09 01:40 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: justaxme]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Originally Posted By: justaxme

I'm curious. Is $1000 for your home? I have a 2500 sq ft home and my worst might be $400.

Yes just for my home.

All this and they still want 9% on top of that.

#994799 --- 03/15/09 01:46 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: *Sparkey*]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: *Sparkey*

They are crazy people..my Jan bill..$450.00..then my Feb..$1888????..so I pay $1800..they were knocking on my door for the $88..then I get a bill last week that says it is $1600..it says that when I paid the $1800 the bill was really $2600..and the new charges are $800..NO WAY..I will be calling tomorrow!

Was the Feb bill estimated by NYSEG?
If so, then I would start calling in your readings on the months that NYSEG does not read it.

#994947 --- 03/15/09 06:57 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: Taxpayer14456]
Sweetcakes Offline

Loc: Southeast of Disorder
Im not on the budget..My g&e usually runs about 350. My tenants also had the same problem. Theirs usually runs about 300 They got a bill for 600.

#995040 --- 03/15/09 09:59 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: Taxpayer14456]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Is this just for electric or gas/electric?

#995045 --- 03/15/09 10:05 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: bluezone]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Finger Lakes National Forest, ...
Mine runs about 45 to 80 bucks a month ... depending on the season.

I use more electricity in the winter as my wood stove has one electric motor to power the hot air blower, and the coal stove has three; one for exhaust, 1 for controlling the coal flow, and 1 for the blower.

I paid $350 for coal ... and cut my own firewood. Ny cieling fan runs year round in two different modes.

With repairs on saws, gas and oil ... my wood, besides a really good summer's workout, cost me $150.00.

Water is heated by elctricity, stove runs on the same. .... I keep most lights off unless in use and pretty much have music playing 24/7.

I have a small fridge that has one third of its structure devoted to freezer, and a stand up freezer in the basement. both well stocked with game taken during hunting season.

I also have a full tank of propane for the forced air furnace that has not been touched in years. ;\)

Edited by SkySoldier (03/15/09 10:09 PM)

We can fix that.

America is not THE problem.

Next time. Vote for the AMERICAN.

#995048 --- 03/15/09 10:15 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: SkySoldier]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: SkySoldier
I paid $350 for coal ... and cut my own firewood. Ny cieling fan runs year round in two different modes.

How much coal do you normal use in a winter?
How many cords of wood per winter?

#995049 --- 03/15/09 10:18 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: BraveHeart]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

HA I JUST SAW THIS ...

Schumer: Investigate NY electric rates
By: The Associated Press

Sunday, March 15, 2009 9:44 AM EDT

ALBANY -- U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer is calling for an investigation of what he says are unnecessarily high electricity rates in New York caused by deregulation of the industry, citing a study that a trade group calls seriously flawed.
The Democrat pointed to a recent report that says New Yorkers pay about 10 percent more in their bills than they should and face higher bills than residents and businesses in neighboring states. However, the industry says the report is deeply flawed in its data and analysis and New Yorkers are paying less because the industry is regulated more by market forces than government.

"New York's energy auction system needs to come out of the shadows before New Yorkers have to needlessly shell out another nickel to power generators who could be gaming the system to reap profits at consumers' expense," Schumer said. He said New Yorkers are paying as much as $2.3 billion more annually than necessary under a secretive auction process in which an industry-created group sets rates.

Gavin Donohue of the Independent Power Producers of New York, a trade group for generators, said New York's rates are far lower, accounting for inflation, than when the industry was regulated more by government a decade ago. The high cost of natural gas and other fuels masks the savings and New York's high taxes, environmental protection fees and undersized transmission system also add substantially to New Yorkers' bills, he said.

Donohue said the current system puts more risk and costs on shareholders rather than on rate payers. He said it also has drawn more competition into New York, brought more reliability to the system in an era when blackouts can cost New Yorkers $10 million a day, and created an incentive for more wind and other cleaner power sources.

"It's a complicated subject and there's no problem discussing it because we have a great story to tell," Donohue said. "But this commodity is unlike any other commodity. You can't store it and you need it when you need it."

At issue is an "auction" system used to set rates by the industry's Independent System Operator. The ISO is now being reviewed by the Assembly. Assemblyman Richard Brodsky of Westchester called the price-setting system a form of collusion by the industry.

Operators say the process works this way: Power producers using fossil fuels, hydro, wind or nuclear power submit bids on a price for the megawatt hours available at a specific time. Those prices range from zero for producers with excess power to unload to $1,000 per unit. The ISO could choose the lowest bidder, but when that generator's units are expended, the ISO moves to the next highest bidders, in order, until all the megawatts needed are secured. Each time the ISO moves to a higher bidder, all of the lower bidders are paid the price offered in the highest bid used.

Schumer said these auctions must be monitored more closely to make sure bidders aren't strategically withholding power to increase the price.

"I am hoping that the new administration will energize (the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) to once again be the cop on the beat to protect energy consumers and to investigate potential threats to operating the most efficient and fair energy markets," Schumer said.

He cited a recent report by energy expert Robert McCullough that concluded the price of power was 10 percent higher than it should be in New York and much higher than in many other states.

Donohue said the report is flawed because only 15 of 300 plants were studied and the 11-page report didn't accurately evaluate the massive, $10 billion industry and the unique challenges in New York. Among them, he said, is the state's failure to increase the number of transmission lines for natural gas to provide cheaper fuel to power plants.

But Schumer says New York's high rates are part of why the number of residential accounts terminated for nonpayment was recently reported by utilities as 329,817, up from 277,771 in 2007.

#995063 --- 03/16/09 12:30 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: bluezone]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Finger Lakes National Forest, ...
Originally Posted By: bluezone
Originally Posted By: SkySoldier
I paid $350 for coal ... and cut my own firewood. My ceiling fan runs year round in two different modes.

How much coal do you normal use in a winter?
How many cords of wood per winter?

I use the coal stove primarily for back up for my wood stove ... or to supplement it through the very cold days of winter.

When the temps settle down into the single digets, the wood stove cannot keep it warm enough upstairs for comfort. Nothing will freeze up, but, unless I want to deal with 45 degrees in the main living areas and my third floor loft/bedroom/bath ... I have to burn coal to back up the wood burner.

The coal stove is in the main living room on the 2nd floor.

I have a Stoker Coal Burner. So I can fill the hopper and leave for 3 to 5 days, depending on the setting and the outside temps. The colder outside, the higher the setting and so the more coal I must use for the heat to keep up.

It will be cold inside, but will not be freezing.

I bought a ton of coal from Holden, in Ovid this year ... and still have 800 pounds left over. So far.

Wood takes me all summer to gather, zipped into 18" lengths, and split using a hand mall and wedges.

I started with 7 rows of split hardwood. Each row measured 6 feet high, 18 inches wide and 25 feet long.

As needed, I fill the wood room in the finished basement. This room has a concrete floor, concrete block walls, is unfinished and directly adjacent to the wood stove.

I built a trap door under my deck that leads directly into the wood room. Thereby keeping the debris from firewood inside the house restricted to that room, and around the wood stove.

It's a constant cleaning of both the stove to prevent chimney fires and to keep up with the wood debris.

The dust from both the coal and the wood is killer. It's a filthy way to heat ... but saves me thousands on oil or gas heat.
I would guesstimate I use ten to 15 full cord a year. A cord is what? 4' wide X 4' high X 8' long? So that sounds about right.

I start stacking wood in the late spring and do wood all summer long; as soil conditions allow me into my woods to retrieve downed trees.

I have yet to had have to cut down a live tree for firewood.

With about 30 acres of wood lot, enough dies off, or is downed by storms, that there is always an abundance of hard wood like black cherry, oak, silver maple and, mostly, ash either standing dead or downed to be harvested to burn.

But living alone, it's a lot of work ... worth it for the savings but you cannot NOT get up and toss a couple logs on the fire if you expect to make it through the winter without the pipes freezing up. I have lived here for ten winters now and have yet to freeze my plumbing.

I have, however, had to deal with several chimney fires over the years. I put them out by firing 200 grains of black powder in my .50 caliber TC Fire muzzle loader UP the chimney through the plug in the bottom under the main deck.

It not only puts the fire out instantly, it cleans ALL the creosote out from top to bottom.

Since the wood stove is in the basement, and the chimney is 25 feet of triple wall that runs up through the roof, I repeat the procedure two or three times a winter to keep the chimney clean while burning.

( I let the wood stove go out for maitanance - unless there's fire at the top of the chimney ... and then it's "git r done" time.)

Short answer ... I use about a ton of coal and 12 to 15 full cord of mixed hardwoods from early September to mid-May each year.

Edited by SkySoldier (03/16/09 12:39 AM)

We can fix that.

America is not THE problem.

Next time. Vote for the AMERICAN.

Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >