FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#973117 --- 02/03/09 08:10 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: VM Smith]
Under Dog Offline

Loc: He's Everywhere
The facts escape me but did SF have the opportunity to own/use the hydroelectric station down by the locks. I believe the property and rights were ultimately sold.

My understanding was it could provide all the necessary power required to light up the community.

Was this another fine example of poor decision making on the part of our leaders???

I'm sure someone can fill in the details. Thanks.

FingerLakes1.com
#973169 --- 02/03/09 09:21 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: Under Dog]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
Tony C wanted to buy it when it was for sale during his tenure. He could not get support from Diana Smith at the time whose ward the power plant is located in.

#973292 --- 02/03/09 12:26 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: BraveHeart]
Estelle Offline

Loc: The Beautiful NYS Finger Lakes
Will they give us reliable service
for this increase?

Have they fixed the problems
that put entire areas in a blackout
if there's a thunderstorm, blizzard
or a tree falls in Brooklyn?
THAT might make 9% worth it.

But in this recession/depression,
it is inconscionable for them
to even think about doing this.

#973419 --- 02/03/09 02:56 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: Estelle]
grinch Offline

Loc: New York State
I just received my Gas and Electric bill for the past month. I am not on a budget.

The way they manipulate the prices, add fees of all sorts, they do not have to worry about getting a 9% increase.

If the weather is warm, they add a factor, if it is 11 degs colder as it was this year they adjust at a price below what they add when the weather is warmer.

The cost of natl gas has been down, yet the market rate charged is higher than what they are offering as a fixed rate. So strike that option. If you question them, their response will be they bought when the price was higher so they have to recoup the cost.

To sum it up my cost was 31% higher this month than the corresponding month last year.

#973433 --- 02/03/09 03:08 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: Under Dog]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
"Was this another fine example of poor decision making on the part of our leaders???"

Yes. Having the blessing of an already built resource like that on your doorstep, and available on the market, and then passing it up, is sufficient reason for those who opposed it never to be trusted with any elected office, IMO.

Look at the bright side, though; you've probably got the nicest dog poop stations in the area!

#973451 --- 02/03/09 03:16 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: grinch]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: grinch
... If you question them, their response will be they bought when the price was higher so they have to recoup the cost.

They said the opposite when I questioned them about the price spike right after hurricane Katrina. I asked them if they lock in the price during the summer to control costs but they said that they cannot do that.

#973593 --- 02/03/09 06:19 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: bluezone]
snowbird99 Offline

Loc: Port Orange, Fl.
You think you have problems in NY? I spend the winter months in Florida. Two of the major utility companies down here have requested a 25 percent rate increase. Needless to say, people are screaming mad.

#973988 --- 02/04/09 02:53 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: snowbird99]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

How much do they charge per kilowatt in Florida? ($0.05, $0.10, $0.15...)
What was the reason given for the 25% increase?

#974020 --- 02/04/09 04:30 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: bluezone]
snowbird99 Offline

Loc: Port Orange, Fl.
With the new increase the price is $.137 per kwh. Reasons given for the increase are fuel costs, new construction of a nuclear powered plant and installation of clean-air technology to an existing coal fired plant.

#974315 --- 02/05/09 06:50 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: snowbird99]
jojotaxpayer Offline

Loc: Ontario County
Florida could get hurt by that, as they rely heavily on air conditioning which costs $$$$.

Too bad all of the utility companies feel the need to take advantage of us. The FTC feels the need to let them repeatedly do it.

#974324 --- 02/05/09 07:10 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: jojotaxpayer]
codyboy Offline

Loc: here
If one opts for fixed billing, can they still raise the rates on you?

#974345 --- 02/05/09 08:20 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: codyboy]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

If one selects another supplier than will this charge still be on the bill?

#974397 --- 02/05/09 09:48 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: bluezone]
Senecamom Offline

Loc: On a journey......
Originally Posted By: bluezone
If one selects another supplier than will this charge still be on the bill?

http://www.energyguide.com/finder/showof...OilOfferCount=0

check this site for comparisons available in your zip code.

#974921 --- 02/06/09 07:48 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: snowbird99]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: snowbird99
With the new increase the price is $.137 per kwh. Reasons given for the increase are fuel costs, new construction of a nuclear powered plant and installation of clean-air technology to an existing coal fired plant.

We pay about $.075 per kwh with a variable rate. The fixed rate is around $.11 per kwh. Your utility bill should still be considerable lower than compared to us up north as we have to heat the homes for half of the year. The cost of coal, natural gas... has dropped a considerable amount and I do not see how the utilities can claim that the prices have increased for them. Even the price of gasoline has come down thereby helping to save the utilities money with their fleet operations.

Time to put up our own personal wind turbines in the back yard.

http://www.wifi-parts.com/seahawk.html

#977433 --- 02/11/09 09:05 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: Senecamom]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

I just checked Penn Yan and Fairports websites to see what they charge for electricity and the rates are about 4 times LESS than NYSEG. Why would that be?

------------------------------------------

Village of Penn Yan Services

Electric Rates
Residential (per meter, per month)

Energy Charge (per KWH)

April - November $0.0297

December - March (first 1250 KWH) $0.0297

December - March (over 1250 KWH) $ 0.05590

----------------------------------

Village of Fairport

Residential – S.C. 1

Customer Charge (per month) $ 4.00
Energy Charge, per kwh
April 1 to Nov 31 and first 1000 kwh (all months) $ .035
Winter (Dec 1 to March 31) usage over 1000 kwh $ .0525

#977804 --- 02/11/09 08:35 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: bluezone]
Dinky Dau Offline

Loc: Confused
This really burns me. Last September my electric bill better that tripled in usage. I called NYSEG and asked if they would check my meter.They said my meter was fine and to pay my bill. The following month it again ran high in usage and again i called and was told to pay my bill. I normally use appr. 1,300 kwh per month. The highest bill was for 4,865 kwh for 1 month. The following bill was for 2,500 kwh. So i decided to call the PSC. lord behold the next day NYSEG called and said they would check the meter. Finally i thought after more than 2 months.The meter techs came down. After playing with their equipment for about half hour they got it to work. Sir your meter just checked at 101% accurate. This was on Friday appr. 1400 hrs. I also allowed NYSEG to go through my house and even they said no way could you use that much power. At 1600 hrs my meter stoped registering. Yea i'm getting free electric as it was on in the house but not registering. So i called NYSEG right away and reported a stuck meter. They finally showed up on monday by that time the meter was running again. Oh did i mention i live just 2 blocks from the NYSEG ofiice and watch their vehicles pass every day. I had been documenting meter readings for some time.

So they said everything is fine it is working again. Still complaining how can a meter be accurate when it stoped working for appr. 20 hrs. I called the PSC back and was told NYSEG reported to them i was satisfied with the meter check and the matter had been resolved. So i told PSC no way was that ever said.

I told the PSC even NYSEG could not justify that much power usage so here we go again. PSC steps up the investigation and here comes NYSEG again. This time with 4 employees to go through my house again. And again they could not justify the power usage and NYSEG completed an estimate of how much power i could draw with what appliances were in the house. Their estimate was conducted if i ran my furnace and all my air cond. and if my sump pump was all to run 24 / 7 i could use a maximum of 1,662 kwh per month. Not even close to what they were billing me. So NYSEG installed a second meter to run inline with the old one. Because they ran it for a couple weeks and no drastic differance between the two registered they reported to the PSC the old meter was fine and that they conducted an estimated usage of electric and it was inline with my bill.

So when i recieved the letter from the PSC stating this again i called. I offered to send them a copy of the estimated usage NYSEG conducted and they were NOT inline. So this makes the second time NYSEG was caught lieing to the PSC. This time i'm upset and asked the PSC why were they allowing NYSEG to get away with filing false reports to them Of course no answer. So i asked who over sees the PSC and i was told the Governors office was over them You got it i sat down and e-mailed the governors office. That was just done today.

When NYSEG was in the house i asked. What was NYSEG'S cost for a new electric meter as this one was appr. 30 years old and they had already refused my request for a new meter. The tech said appr. $25.00 for a new meter is what NYSEG pays. I reached in my pocket and pulled out $25.00 and offered to pay for a new meter. I was told by the supervisor she would have to get permission from corporate. I later rec'd a letter from NYSEG stating the PSC would not allow them to change my meter. When i was talking to the PSC i asked them why they wouldn't allow a new meter to be installed. They informed me the PSC has no control over NYSEG'S equipment. It is entirely up to NYSEG when to change a meter.

Appr. 4 months and the saga continues. These crooks want an increase.

I might also add the old meter would register more usage at night when everybody is asleep and very little power was being used that during the day when more power was being used. However when they installed the second meter the old one started running better that it had before. hhhmmmm

#977806 --- 02/11/09 08:42 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: Dinky Dau]
Dinky Dau Offline

Loc: Confused
A simple question. I had 4 NYSEG employees tied up trying to justify not changing my meter for a total of appr. 4 hrs. NYSEG paid Salary times 4 verses a $25.00 meter. what would have been the cheaper way for NYSEG to go.

Edited by Dinky Dau (02/11/09 08:44 PM)

#978124 --- 02/12/09 10:38 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: trump]
vamp Offline

Ok...here is my 2 cents...I have family that work for NYSEG higher paid employees with many years and low paid one as well. Guess what?? They all pay the increase too and it is hard for them as well. I think if you have to worry about your family member possibly electricuting themselves everytime they go and work 18 hour days to restore power to thousands of people in all types of weather conditions maybe it wouldnt be so easy to trash them. To talk garbage because they get a meal???? Are you serious??? As far as I am concerned they dont get paid enough sometimes. And if you see them with a hour of down time I say GREAT they deserve it. With the high winds we are having I am sure you would like a prompt and knowledgable crew to come to your rescue. Ok I feel better!

#978342 --- 02/12/09 03:35 PM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: Dinky Dau]
jojotaxpayer Offline

Loc: Ontario County
That's a good NYSEG story, it's funny that you called the PSC and it made them jump. I'll have to remember that, good to have someone to back you up against them, it's like fighting goliath.

#978709 --- 02/13/09 07:48 AM Re: NYSEG asking for a 9 % increase. [Re: Dinky Dau]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Dinky Dau
... The highest bill was for 4,865 kwh for 1 month.

I might also add the old meter would register more usage at night when everybody is asleep and very little power was being used that during the day when more power was being used.

How many major appliances do you have?

Do you have a day/night meter?

What is the amps of your main panel? (100, 150, 200 amps)

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >