FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 ... 37 38 >
Topic Options
#96453 --- 01/06/05 09:49 AM Diet and Exercise Support Thread
AEGurrrl Offline

Loc: Right here!
Well I figure since a lot of us want to lose weight and get healthy I'd start a thread. We can post long and short term goals, exercise tips, anything related. Like the depression thread let's keep it nice and supportive. No bashing here. A lot of people need friendly support, so let's start here.

Anyone have any ideas?

FingerLakes1.com
#96454 --- 01/06/05 09:54 AM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
#1 - Breakfast is so, so, so important. I know lots of people hate to eat breakfast, and I used to be one of those people. Problem was I'd overeat at lunch, or grab a bad snack mid-morning. I have to get up earlier in order to eat breakfast, b/c I can't eat the minute I wake up. I usually prepare the breakfast, and eat it when I get to work. Usually it is oatmeal, but today I had Grape Nuts w/ a banana and some dates. I have a banana and some melon for a snack. Breakfast is KEY, and I guarantee adding breakfast, a mid-morning snack, and cutting lunch back to a "normal" size will do as much as any other change you make.

***Note: bagel lovers - a bagel has 300 calories - that is a lot. That does not take any topping into account. If you have to eat bagels, eat the low-carb, or eat half of a multi-grain instead of a whole.

#96455 --- 01/06/05 09:59 AM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
KoDSC Offline

Loc: Here.
This morning I had a breakfast bar thingy- one of those nutrigrain and fruit bars.
Lunch will be a hot ham and cheese I made at home. Just have to nuke it as long as Jim doesnt claim the nuker.

#96456 --- 01/06/05 10:12 AM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
AEGurrrl Offline

I tried to do a tai chi workout tape I got at xmas, but the poses went too fast. LOL I think I need a beginner course in the poses first! It was invigorating, the part I managed to do.

#96457 --- 01/06/05 10:29 AM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
KoDSC Offline

Loc: Here.
Ubu bought me a beginner's yoga from the discovery store.. it has 3 different levels to it. Some of even the lowest level stuff I can't do- my knee wont let me.

#96458 --- 01/06/05 10:33 AM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
KatBurglar Offline

Loc: Sneaky Falls
Don't eat meat and dairy and you will drop a ton of weight!
I was on 85mg of steroids a day in May and still lost 23lbs in 4 weeks on this vegan diet.

By the way SJ- I ate Full Carb Bagels almost everyday
Low Carb Diets blow...and the Atkins Diet (and other similair diets) will clog your arteries.

if you do eat less dairy make sure you take a calcium supplemenmt

#96459 --- 01/06/05 10:36 AM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
Queenofparties Offline

Loc: fingerlakes region
Eat at least 5 small meals a day and if you are reeeallly craving something( uh chocolate..:)) then have a piece..I have found when I go without something that I really want, I over eat that..also that combined with excercise especially walking, should be a go..

#96460 --- 01/06/05 10:37 AM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

You are on a vegan diet though. People who still eat meat and dairy are more likely to be cutting carbs. Your carbohydrate intake is crucial to your daily ability to function basically, since you are not getting as much protein as the rest of us.

Those on regular diets, low-carb or not, shouldn't go overboard on bagels, b/c 300 calories is a lot for something that is only going to keep you full for an hour or two.

#96461 --- 01/06/05 10:38 AM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
KatBurglar Offline

But throw on some hot pepper jelly and the 300+ calories are well worth it!!!

#96462 --- 01/06/05 10:39 AM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

lol

Maybe on your "day off"!

#96463 --- 01/06/05 10:43 AM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
Queenofparties Offline

drink at least 6-8 glasses of water before each meal.. It helps fill you up before ya eat.. At least for me anyway..
Would love to start walking either at the mall or somewhere indoor if anyone wants to join or have ideas of where... Let me know..

#96464 --- 01/06/05 10:45 AM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
KatBurglar Offline

I think people walk at the Chiropractic College during the winter when it is cold.

I have a treadmill for cold snowy days - sure does hold a lot of my winter clothing

#96465 --- 01/06/05 10:47 AM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
Queenofparties Offline

Do you need a pass to get in or can anyone go and walk there?

#96466 --- 01/06/05 10:57 AM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

idk but you can go and walk at Mynderse Academy also I believe.

#96467 --- 01/06/05 11:15 AM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
AEGurrrl Offline

Quote:

Don't eat meat and dairy and you will drop a ton of weight!

LOL there goes eating for me!

I have a long term goal of 110 pounds. (How did THAT happen??) My short term is 10 pounds.

I've cut down to one soda a day. I'm drinking lots more water. Now I gotta get moving!!

#96468 --- 01/06/05 11:23 AM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
KatBurglar Offline

Never said it was easy
I don't drink soda or coffee either (When I am on this diet)
normally coffee is my best friend.

I live on Gatorade

#96469 --- 01/06/05 05:47 PM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
no doubt Offline

Loc: hometown: Waterloo
I have been walking on the treadmill for some time now. But I get bored (even in front of the TV) so I usually quit before 40 minutes. My brother told me to raise the platform - which I haven't thought to do. WOW - what a workout and I am not the least bit bored. I'm sweating and crying.

#96470 --- 01/06/05 07:23 PM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
coolmom Offline

Loc: Waterloo
hey kat, you have to join the gym at the chiro college but it gives you access to so much, you will enjoy it if you join, pool, weight room, treadmills, free weights etc. etc.
good luck to all, I would love to lose 20 or so myself, it sure is easy going on, I don't know why it has to be so hard coming off....

#96471 --- 01/06/05 08:15 PM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
Where's the love Offline

Loc: Tahiti - I can dream...
Diet trick...brush your teeth and gargle with Listerine when a craving hits!

Coolmom - the weight is easy going on - because it is so gradual - taking it off - we pretty much want it done in a day or two.

I'm to lazy. If I spent the time on the treadmill like I do on the computer...hmmm...just imagine...I cheat and have my doctor give me a prescription! It really works...when I take the pills...it's that the alzheimers kicks in and I forget! Another 15 pounds would make me feel great. Hopefully after I get moved in and get my little "gym" set up - I will use my "free" time...who am I kidding - there is no such thing!!

Why is coffee not a "diet food"? Or is it the cream and sugar in the coffee you are referring to? I switched to Chamomille Tea and splenda when I did the Atkins (which made me lose weight - but I gained it all back...darn PIZZA isn't on that diet!)

Good Luck. I will get into this diet craze with you guys...I need the support - I'm such a slacker. Add menu's and recipes of things that work!!

#96472 --- 01/07/05 07:39 AM Re: Diet and Exercise Support Thread
KatBurglar Offline

Quote:

hey kat, you have to join the gym at the chiro college but it gives you access to so much, you will enjoy it if you join, pool, weight room, treadmills, free weights etc. etc.
good luck to all, I would love to lose 20 or so myself, it sure is easy going on, I don't know why it has to be so hard coming off....

I assume you are talking to me...there is a user Kat on these threads, so sometimes it is difficult to figure out whom you are referring to...but, if you are indeed speaking to me... I had a membership at Maximum Fitness In town, which I loved and had all of those things...it recently ran out and I am debating about re-joining. I own a treadmill which is a very nice model- gives your calories used, miles walked, time spent, and fat calories...

I like to weight train more than anything else, that is where you really see results

Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 ... 37 38 >