FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#949928 --- 01/04/09 09:30 PM Richardson Drops Post amid grand jury Investigatio
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Finger Lakes National Forest, ...
Govenor Bill Richardson Drops Secretary Bid

By NEDRA PICKLER, AP

WASHINGTON (Jan. 4) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson on Sunday announced that he was withdrawing his nomination to be President-elect Barack Obama's commerce secretary amid a grand jury investigation into how some of his political donors won a lucrative state contract.

Richardson's withdrawal was the first disruption of Obama's Cabinet process and the second "pay-to-play" investigation that has touched Obama's transition to the presidency.

The president-elect has remained above the fray in both the case of arrested Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich and the New Mexico case.

A federal grand jury is investigating how a California company that contributed to Richardson's political activities won a New Mexico transportation contract worth more than $1 million.

Richardson said in a statement issued by the Obama transition office that the investigation could take weeks or months but expressed confidence it will show he and his administration acted properly.

"I have concluded that the ongoing investigation also would have forced an untenable delay in the confirmation process," Richardson said.

"Given the gravity of the economic situation the nation is facing, I could not in good conscience ask the president-elect and his administration to delay for one day the important work that needs to be done."

Richardson said he will remain as governor and told Obama, "I am eager to serve in the future in any way he deems useful."

We can fix that.

America is not THE problem.

Next time. Vote for the AMERICAN.

FingerLakes1.com
#949930 --- 01/04/09 09:33 PM Re: Richardson Drops Post amid grand jury Investigatio [Re: SkySoldier]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

And I really liked this guy. I would have voted for him for president in a heartbeat.

Oh well, Spitzer, Blogavitch, Craig, Jefferson, the lists keep growing.

Politicians suck.

Edited by SkySoldier (01/04/09 09:34 PM)

We can fix that.

#949935 --- 01/04/09 09:43 PM Re: Richardson Drops Post amid grand jury Investigatio [Re: SkySoldier]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Govenor Richardson, now target of Grand Jury investigation.

We can fix that.

#949937 --- 01/04/09 09:48 PM Re: Richardson Drops Post amid grand jury Investigatio [Re: SkySoldier]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
I liked him, too, although he didn't get fat enough along so that I bothered to learn everything about him. I also don't know everything about the latest flap, and will wait for the investigation to conclude. Sometimes, even if there's smoke, there is no fire.

#949938 --- 01/04/09 09:52 PM Re: Richardson Drops Post amid grand jury Investigatio [Re: VM Smith]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

"A federal grand jury is investigating how a California company that contributed to Richardson's political activities won a New Mexico transportation contract worth more than $1 million. "

Should be interesting. Hey, could be just a coincidence, aye?

We can fix that.

#949940 --- 01/04/09 09:57 PM Re: Richardson Drops Post amid grand jury Investigatio [Re: SkySoldier]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Could be; sometimes the fire turns out to be just political pre-emptive attack; a blind chop to the back of the neck; I'll wait on the investigation.

#949967 --- 01/04/09 10:53 PM Re: Richardson Drops Post amid grand jury Investigatio [Re: VM Smith]
justaxme Offline

Loc: On top?
It was a Billion $ contract.

"A federal grand jury is investigating how a California company that contributed to Richardson's political activities won a New Mexico state contract worth more than $1 billion.

CDR and its CEO, David Rubin, have contributed at least $110,000 to three political committees formed by Richardson, according to an AP review of campaign finance records."

I think I know how they got it.

#949969 --- 01/04/09 10:59 PM Re: Richardson Drops Post amid grand jury Investigatio [Re: justaxme]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I've been aware of what they're investigating. You assume you know how they got it, and you may well be right; I'll await the results of the investigation.

#950024 --- 01/05/09 12:01 AM Re: Richardson Drops Post amid grand jury Investig [Re: VM Smith]
justaxme Offline

Loc: On top?
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
I've been aware of what they're investigating. You assume you know how they got it, and you may well be right; I'll await the results of the investigation.

Republican or Democrat, doesn't matter. When you become a professional lifetime politician your vote and power is for sale to the highest bidder. It's all about getting reelected and keeping their throne.

#950026 --- 01/05/09 12:03 AM Re: Richardson Drops Post amid grand jury Investig [Re: justaxme]
Fernando Offline

Loc: Fernando

#950224 --- 01/05/09 04:41 AM Re: Richardson Drops Post amid grand jury Investig [Re: Fernando]
LaughinWillow Offline

Loc: State of Emergency
Just want to point out that a lot of companies probably contributed to Richardson's campaign, and the company in question probably contributed to other people. Not to say that Richardson wasn't bought off - it's as likely as not. But there is so much corporate involvement in politics now, it's difficult to find a politician who hasn't taken corporate money...

#950592 --- 01/05/09 09:30 PM Re: Richardson Drops Post amid grand jury Investig [Re: justaxme]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: justaxme
Originally Posted By: VM Smith

Republican or Democrat, doesn't matter. When you become a professional lifetime politician your vote and power is for sale to the highest bidder. It's all about getting reelected and keeping their throne.

Bingo.

We can fix that.

#951214 --- 01/06/09 02:01 PM Re: Richardson Drops Post amid grand jury Investig [Re: justaxme]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

"When you become a professional lifetime politician your vote and power is for sale to the highest bidder."

Most of the time, it is for sale, and, as I said, you may well be right.

However, it has to be proven. I suspect foul play, also, and I'm glad he's being investigated, but I also believe in "innocent until proven guilty".