FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#948264 --- 01/01/09 06:28 PM Global warming news.
Night prowler Offline

Loc: ny
Forget global warming: Welcome to the new Ice Age

Lorne Gunter, National Post Published: Monday, February 25, 2008

Snow cover over North America and much of Siberia, Mongolia and China is greater than at any time since 1966.

The U.S. National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) reported that many American cities and towns suffered record cold temperatures in January and early February. According to the NCDC, the average temperature in January "was -0.3 F cooler than the 1901-2000 (20th century) average."

China is surviving its most brutal winter in a century. Temperatures in the normally balmy south were so low for so long that some middle-sized cities went days and even weeks without electricity because once power lines had toppled it was too cold or too icy to repair them.

There have been so many snow and ice storms in Ontario and Quebec in the past two months that the real estate market has felt the pinch as home buyers have stayed home rather than venturing out looking for new houses.

In just the first two weeks of February, Toronto received 70 cm of snow, smashing the record of 66.6 cm for the entire month set back in the pre-SUV, pre-Kyoto, pre-carbon footprint days of 1950.

And remember the Arctic Sea ice? The ice we were told so hysterically last fall had melted to its "lowest levels on record? Never mind that those records only date back as far as 1972 and that there is anthropological and geological evidence of much greater melts in the past.

The ice is back.

Gilles Langis, a senior forecaster with the Canadian Ice Service in Ottawa, says the Arctic winter has been so severe the ice has not only recovered, it is actually 10 to 20 cm thicker in many places than at this time last year.

OK, so one winter does not a climate make. It would be premature to claim an Ice Age is looming just because we have had one of our most brutal winters in decades.

But if environmentalists and environment reporters can run around shrieking about the manmade destruction of the natural order every time a robin shows up on Georgian Bay two weeks early, then it is at least fair game to use this winter's weather stories to wonder whether the alarmist are being a tad premature.

And it's not just anecdotal evidence that is piling up against the climate-change dogma.

According to Robert Toggweiler of the Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory at Princeton University and Joellen Russell, assistant professor of biogeochemical dynamics at the University of Arizona -- two prominent climate modellers -- the computer models that show polar ice-melt cooling the oceans, stopping the circulation of warm equatorial water to northern latitudes and triggering another Ice Age (a la the movie The Day After Tomorrow) are all wrong.

"We missed what was right in front of our eyes," says Prof. Russell. It's not ice melt but rather wind circulation that drives ocean currents northward from the tropics. Climate models until now have not properly accounted for the wind's effects on ocean circulation, so researchers have compensated by over-emphasizing the role of manmade warming on polar ice melt.

But when Profs. Toggweiler and Russell rejigged their model to include the 40-year cycle of winds away from the equator (then back towards it again), the role of ocean currents bringing warm southern waters to the north was obvious in the current Arctic warming.

Last month, Oleg Sorokhtin, a fellow of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, shrugged off manmade climate change as "a drop in the bucket." Showing that solar activity has entered an inactive phase, Prof. Sorokhtin advised people to "stock up on fur coats."

He is not alone. Kenneth Tapping of our own National Research Council, who oversees a giant radio telescope focused on the sun, is convinced we are in for a long period of severely cold weather if sunspot activity does not pick up soon.

The last time the sun was this inactive, Earth suffered the Little Ice Age that lasted about five centuries and ended in 1850. Crops failed through killer frosts and drought. Famine, plague and war were widespread. Harbours froze, so did rivers, and trade ceased.

It's way too early to claim the same is about to happen again, but then it's way too early for the hysteria of the global warmers, too.

FingerLakes1.com
#948276 --- 01/01/09 07:21 PM Re: Global warming news. [Re: Night prowler]
Samuel Offline

Loc: Potter, NY
Thanks for a dose of reality. I never believed a bit of the global warming myth. Al Gore better turn in his award.

#948438 --- 01/02/09 02:05 AM Re: Global warming news. [Re: Samuel]
threeputt Offline

Loc: Waterloo
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

#948454 --- 01/02/09 03:05 AM Re: Global warming news. [Re: threeputt]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Finger Lakes National Forest, ...
I see that in your post. Threeputt.

Ask any one of tens of thousands of scientist who aint buying al Gores $ song or credits.

While I believe the earth has suffered much at the hands of man through pollution I also KNOW that climate change is nothing new.

It was going on in cycles long before the first Hominids lurched to their feet in Africa.

Seems that an inconvenient truth has made Al Gore a rich man. How convenient for Al.

And a rich source for jokes.

Is mans' carbon footprint and other destructive influances (pollution, over cutting of rain forests, etc.) on this planet a danger to the earth?

I think so. But Al Gote's making millions on a BS tip.

"The Antarctic, which contains 90% of the worlds ice, now has the most ice ever recorded! When combining the ice at both Poles there is no net loss of polar ice! The October 2008 Arctic sea ice freeze is at the most rapid pace ever recorded. So where is the global warming we are preparing for? Is a carbon cap and trade system that would raise hundreds of billions of dollars each year for the government necessary to prevent global warming if in fact the global warming was caused by the Sun and that there will be global cooling in the coming decades? It appears to me that the fear of global warming is looking more and more like the Y2K scare of the late 1990s.

If you have doubts about the conventional beliefs of global warming and want to learn more please do read on."

Geoff Pohanka

Vienna, VA 1/09

geoff@isthereglobalcooling.com

We can fix that.

America is not THE problem.

Next time. Vote for the AMERICAN.

#948544 --- 01/02/09 12:09 PM Re: Global warming news. [Re: SkySoldier]
Teacher73 Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY, Seneca
We'll see.

#948753 --- 01/02/09 09:06 PM Re: Global warming news. [Re: Teacher73]
Night prowler Offline

Yes we will! The global temp has gone down since 1998, that's 11 years ago for your information. I hope you are not a teacher, I get the feeling you would spread lies rather then teach facts and how to figure things out for a students own way of thinking. So tell me, are you a teacher?

#948758 --- 01/02/09 09:16 PM Re: Global warming news. [Re: Night prowler]
Brightday Offline

I can see your conversion when Rush Limbaugh announces his belief in global warming.

#948771 --- 01/02/09 09:37 PM Re: Global warming news. [Re: Brightday]
4thOfJuly Offline

Loc: 42.67N -76.76W
Rush is an idiot, so are you.

#948820 --- 01/02/09 11:27 PM Re: Global warming news. [Re: 4thOfJuly]
Night prowler Offline

I don't listen to Rush, why are you obsessed with him? I'm an idiot because I can see the truth by looking at a wide range of facts? I am not the brain dead idiot that believes everything that you hear on TV. Hey, believe what you want, then learn history for yourself.
You can choose to believe real science, or Al Gore's science fiction.

#948852 --- 01/03/09 12:04 AM Re: Global warming news. [Re: Night prowler]
LaughinWillow Offline

Loc: State of Emergency
Global warming is absolutely irrelevant. There are so many truly serious environmental issues that are measurable, documented, and endangering life on this planet. Air, water, and soil pollution, despeciation and massive reduction in biodiversity, destruction of the rainforest - the 2nd largest producer of oxygen in our atmosphere, loss of native forests, genetically modified contamination, contaminated public water supplies with outdated filtration systems - ALL of these are problems that could be addressed if we want to talk about the environment. Suspicious, then, that our "leaders" have chosen to focus on an issue that can't be proven and is incredibly divisive.

#948931 --- 01/03/09 03:06 AM Re: Global warming news. [Re: LaughinWillow]
HarleyBobT Offline

Loc: Walloon Freedom Fighter
Originally Posted By: LaughinWillow
Global warming is absolutely irrelevant. There are so many truly serious environmental issues that are measurable, documented, and endangering life on this planet. Air, water, and soil pollution, despeciation and massive reduction in biodiversity, destruction of the rainforest - the 2nd largest producer of oxygen in our atmosphere, loss of native forests, genetically modified contamination, contaminated public water supplies with outdated filtration systems - ALL of these are problems that could be addressed if we want to talk about the environment. Suspicious, then, that our "leaders" have chosen to focus on an issue that can't be proven and is incredibly divisive.

So tell me about the contaminated public water supplies and outdated filtration systems. Should I stick to drinking bottled water?

#948981 --- 01/03/09 05:39 AM Re: Global warming news. [Re: HarleyBobT]
LaughinWillow Offline

I'd personally recommend installing a reverse osmosis system in your home, which will usually run you around $600-$800. I try to avoid drinking tap water much at all, and especially don't like to give it to my kids. According to experts, pregnant women, kids, and the elderly are most at risk from chemical contaminants in water. You can get water testing kits online or in natural food/supply stores, so you might want to test your water before investing in reverse osmosis. Some areas have good water quality, though that's increasingly rare. Rural areas used to be better, but with huge agribusiness overfertilizing and spraying, those supplies are generally unsafe now as well, unless they are coming from a very deep well.

When I lived in Madison, WI - not a huge city - the public water system had a pamphlet informing pregnant women that consuming more than 4 glasses of tap water was not recommended, due to the risk of miscarriage. This is becoming more and more common - chlorine, in particular, is linked to miscarriage in the first trimester. So that's my experience, but here's some more info:

Prescription drugs found in water supply of 24 major metropolitan areas:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-03-10-drugs-tap-water_N.htm

http://swimming.about.com/od/allergyandasthma/a/cl_pool_problem_2.htm
Recent Studies on THMs in tap water include:
A study by California health department investigators Kirsten Waller and Shanna Swann examined the records of 5,144 pregnant women from the Fontana, Santa Clara and Walnut Creek areas. They reported a 15.7% higher chance of miscarriage among women who drank 5 or more glasses of chlorinated water per day.

A Canadian study reports that women who drink tap water containing high levels of trihalomethanes are twice as likely to have stillbirths. This Dalhousie University study reported that pregnant women increase their risk the more they drink or bathe in water containing the compounds. This study was reported in the scientific journal Epidemiology.

A Norwegian study of 141,000 births over a three-year period found a fourteen percent increased risk of birth defects in areas with chlorinated water.

Women consuming tap water with far higher levels of chlorine than have been determined safe:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/women/2002-01-08-water-pregnancy.htm

From http://environment.about.com/od/waterpollution/a/tap_water_probe.htm
Public water supplies in 42 U.S. states are contaminated with 141 unregulated chemicals for which the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has never established safety standards, according to an investigation by the Environmental Working Group (EWG).
Tainted Tap Water Used by Millions of Americans
Another 119 regulated chemicals - a total of 260 contaminants altogether - were found by the environmental group in a two-and-a-half-year analysis of more than 22 million tap water quality tests. The tests, which are required under the federal Safe Drinking Water Act, were conducted at nearly 40,000 utilities that supply water to 231 million people.

Pollution Threatens Tap Water Quality
According to a report by the EWG, the top 10 states with the most contaminants in their drinking water were California, Wisconsin, Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, Texas, New York, Nevada, Pennsylvania and Illinois - in that order. EWG said the biggest sources of contaminants were agriculture, industry and pollution from sprawl and urban runoff.

What's in your water:
http://environment.about.com/gi/dynamic/...er/contaminants

Natural Resources Defense Council says US water systems outdated:
http://www.uswaternews.com/archives/arcquality/3grosay6.html

The American Society of Civil Engineers recently graded the nation's dams a D, and wastewater and drinking water systems a D-, the lowest grades of any infrastructure category.
http://www.americanrivers.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=12129

#948989 --- 01/03/09 08:27 AM Re: Global warming news. [Re: Night prowler]
Teacher73 Offline

Originally Posted By: Night prowler
Yes we will! The global temp has gone down since 1998, that's 11 years ago for your information. I hope you are not a teacher, I get the feeling you would spread lies rather then teach facts and how to figure things out for a students own way of thinking. So tell me, are you a teacher?

Show me your documentation regarding the eleven years of global temps going down. Now that's the average global temp, right? Just asking a question, so don't get all pissy and have a flashback. My sources show that there is reason to support a warming trend but if you can show me otherwise with substantiated, accreditied, and peer reviewed scientific research that is fine. No need to call me a liar and get all lathered up for reasons which I surmise are real to you but don't have much to do with me. FYI I am a retired school teacher and quite frankly I don't miss it much because it gets very, very tiresome dealing with folks who react like you. The tone of your remarks call to mind how hard it is to try to actually be involved in education let alone in the real world where the quest for answers continues without character assasination. I suppose your anger feels justified to you whatever your excuse. STBY.
Here's hoping that in those moments where you deal face to face with others you interact more appropriately than you do in the quiet anonymous solitude of the blogosphere.

#949026 --- 01/03/09 12:49 PM Re: Global warming news. [Re: Teacher73]
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Teacher73

Show me your documentation regarding the eleven years of global temps going down. Now that's the average global temp, right? Just asking a question, so don't get all pissy and have a flashback. My sources show that there is reason to support a warming trend but if you can show me otherwise with substantiated, accreditied, and peer reviewed scientific research that is fine. No need to call me a liar and get all lathered up for reasons which I surmise are real to you but don't have much to do with me. FYI I am a retired school teacher and quite frankly I don't miss it much because it gets very, very tiresome dealing with folks who react like you. The tone of your remarks call to mind how hard it is to try to actually be involved in education let alone in the real world where the quest for answers continues without character assasination. I suppose your anger feels justified to you whatever your excuse. STBY.
Here's hoping that in those moments where you deal face to face with others you interact more appropriately than you do in the quiet anonymous solitude of the blogosphere.

You don't think Limbaugh is a credible source?

#949093 --- 01/03/09 02:48 PM Re: Global warming news. [Re: ]
Night prowler Offline

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/earth_warm.html

Are you going to tell me NASA is not credible?

#949320 --- 01/03/09 11:33 PM Re: Global warming news. [Re: Night prowler]
Night prowler Offline

Teacher who is your source, CNN, the Weather Channel?

#949395 --- 01/04/09 01:02 AM Re: Global warming news. [Re: Night prowler]
Teacher73 Offline

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/earth_warm.html

Are you going to tell me NASA is not credible?

Thanks for posting the NASA site. I looked at it and basically their conclusion is that there is a distinct warming trend that has become more noticeable over the past thirty years. I don't have an arguement with that, evidence has been mounting for several years that our planet is warming. Ice caps and glaciers receding, permafrost melting as reported on various news outlets including the National Geographic, History, and Science channel to name a few. Global warming has become an ideological football between the believers and the non-believers. I want to know and am not interested in buying into a "belief structure". It is also certainly true there is more to be learned about this complex and serious situation. However it seems clear that the planet is warming up. I was under the impression that you would not find that conclusion to be true but maybe I am wrong.

#949425 --- 01/04/09 01:41 AM Re: Global warming news. [Re: LaughinWillow]
HarleyBobT Offline

Loc: Walloon Freedom Fighter
I'd personally recommend installing a reverse osmosis system in your home, which will usually run you around $600-$800. I try to avoid drinking tap water much at all, and especially don't like to give it to my kids. According to experts, pregnant women, kids, and the elderly are most at risk from chemical contaminants in water. You can get water testing kits online or in natural food/supply stores, so you might want to test your water before investing in reverse osmosis. Some areas have good water quality, though that's increasingly rare. Rural areas used to be better, but with huge agribusiness overfertilizing and spraying, those supplies are generally unsafe now as well, unless they are coming from a very deep well.

When I lived in Madison, WI - not a huge city - the public water system had a pamphlet informing pregnant women that consuming more than 4 glasses of tap water was not recommended, due to the risk of miscarriage. This is becoming more and more common - chlorine, in particular, is linked to miscarriage in the first trimester. So that's my experience, but here's some more info:

Prescription drugs found in water supply of 24 major metropolitan areas:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-03-10-drugs-tap-water_N.htm

http://swimming.about.com/od/allergyandasthma/a/cl_pool_problem_2.htm
Recent Studies on THMs in tap water include:
A study by California health department investigators Kirsten Waller and Shanna Swann examined the records of 5,144 pregnant women from the Fontana, Santa Clara and Walnut Creek areas. They reported a 15.7% higher chance of miscarriage among women who drank 5 or more glasses of chlorinated water per day.

A Canadian study reports that women who drink tap water containing high levels of trihalomethanes are twice as likely to have stillbirths. This Dalhousie University study reported that pregnant women increase their risk the more they drink or bathe in water containing the compounds. This study was reported in the scientific journal Epidemiology.

A Norwegian study of 141,000 births over a three-year period found a fourteen percent increased risk of birth defects in areas with chlorinated water.

Women consuming tap water with far higher levels of chlorine than have been determined safe:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/women/2002-01-08-water-pregnancy.htm

From http://environment.about.com/od/waterpollution/a/tap_water_probe.htm
Public water supplies in 42 U.S. states are contaminated with 141 unregulated chemicals for which the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has never established safety standards, according to an investigation by the Environmental Working Group (EWG).
Tainted Tap Water Used by Millions of Americans
Another 119 regulated chemicals - a total of 260 contaminants altogether - were found by the environmental group in a two-and-a-half-year analysis of more than 22 million tap water quality tests. The tests, which are required under the federal Safe Drinking Water Act, were conducted at nearly 40,000 utilities that supply water to 231 million people.

Pollution Threatens Tap Water Quality
According to a report by the EWG, the top 10 states with the most contaminants in their drinking water were California, Wisconsin, Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, Texas, New York, Nevada, Pennsylvania and Illinois - in that order. EWG said the biggest sources of contaminants were agriculture, industry and pollution from sprawl and urban runoff.

What's in your water:
http://environment.about.com/gi/dynamic/...er/contaminants

Natural Resources Defense Council says US water systems outdated:
http://www.uswaternews.com/archives/arcquality/3grosay6.html

The American Society of Civil Engineers recently graded the nation's dams a D, and wastewater and drinking water systems a D-, the lowest grades of any infrastructure category.
http://www.americanrivers.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=12129

You're so full of it that it's bubbling out of you ears. If you don't like the water here, move back to your home planet.

#949518 --- 01/04/09 03:58 AM Re: Global warming news. [Re: HarleyBobT]
LaughinWillow Offline

Why did you even ask? Oh, wait. Just to be a jerk, I know.

#949694 --- 01/04/09 02:33 PM Re: Global warming news. [Re: LaughinWillow]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Finger Lakes National Forest, ...

Yes it is. I find it pleasing when I can agree with you on something. ;\)

Is mans' carbon footprint and other destructive influances (pollution, over cutting of rain forests, etc.) on this planet a danger to the earth?

I think so. But Al Gote's making millions on a BS tip.

"The Antarctic, which contains 90% of the worlds ice, now has the most ice ever recorded! When combining the ice at both Poles there is no net loss of polar ice! The October 2008 Arctic sea ice freeze is at the most rapid pace ever recorded. So where is the global warming we are preparing for? Is a carbon cap and trade system that would raise hundreds of billions of dollars each year for the government necessary to prevent global warming if in fact the global warming was caused by the Sun and that there will be global cooling in the coming decades? It appears to me that the fear of global warming is looking more and more like the Y2K scare of the late 1990s.

If you have doubts about the conventional beliefs of global warming and want to learn more please do read on."

Geoff Pohanka

Vienna, VA 1/09

geoff@isthereglobalcooling.com

We can fix that.

America is not THE problem.

Next time. Vote for the AMERICAN.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >