FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#938704 --- 12/15/08 04:25 PM Governor
Sovereign King Offline

Loc: Auditioning on Broadway
I'd rather have a Governor in office that uses tax payer money for hookers than an idiot who taxes EVERYTHING we use including soda!

FingerLakes1.com
#938712 --- 12/15/08 04:37 PM Re: Governor [Re: Sovereign King]
kimmer Offline

Loc: here,there and back again
Now, now - it's only non-diet soda that will be taxed. When I saw this little story on the news they were focusing on the fact that so many children are overweight. Ok, what is the real purpose of this? Raising money for the state or the state doing something parents should be doing - controlling soda intake by their kids? What about all those perfectly healthy, buff bodied soda drinkers out there? Why should they have to pay a sin tax? What's next?? Seems to me if you're taxing non-diet soda why not sin tax all things bad for you like nasty McDonalds food?

#938716 --- 12/15/08 04:41 PM Re: Governor [Re: kimmer]
WilllOWisp Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Diet soda causes weight gain as well.
Google it.
diet soda causes obesity

#938731 --- 12/15/08 05:00 PM Re: Governor [Re: WilllOWisp]
kimmer Offline

Loc: here,there and back again
Yeah, I've heard that. There's also the argument that the sweetener causes cancer.

#938756 --- 12/15/08 05:46 PM Re: Governor [Re: kimmer]
Ethel Offline

The more I read about the Govenor the more I think he is a whack job. I can't believe he is taxing non-diet soda. As a matter of fact it infuriates me. What's next. How about we tax diabetics who buy what they are not suppose to eat. How about taxing white bread, that is suppose to be bad for you. I might drink 2 cans of soda a year, don't care for it so it won't affect me in the pocketbook but people shouldn't be taxed on the type of soda they wish to consume. I can see having strict rules when it comes to nutrition in schools, hospitals, nursing homes, etc. but for the private citizen is BS. I cannot believe what this State is coming to. These are tough times and I am truly worried about what is to come down the road if this is the beginning. I would hope that any Governor could think of a better way to help the economic situation. Maybe he should stop hiring more staff for himself.

#938769 --- 12/15/08 06:00 PM Re: Governor [Re: Ethel]
Geneva_grl Offline

Loc: G-Town
I have to agree. That man is nuts. Better take 2nd and 3rd jobs because with him as Gov. we will all be broke. Who ever heard of an "obesity tax". Tax non-diet soda but raise welfare. Now that makes sense..NOT

#938899 --- 12/15/08 08:52 PM Re: Governor [Re: Geneva_grl]
Sovereign King Offline

As long as the State is not broke the man could not care if we all work our hands to the bone to pay for it with out a penny to show for it...

I hope no one is fulled into thinking this is about health, it is about MONEY!!!

He did this almost a year ago raising the cigarette tax to the highest in the nation... For health reason to force NY'ers to quit. Yea right, its because of th billions it puts into the economy! ...He taxes everything, but in the past ten months he has almost bankrupt the state...

THE MAN NEEDS TO BE IMPEACHED, HE IS A THREAT TO NEW YORK!!!!

#939012 --- 12/16/08 04:58 AM Re: Governor [Re: Sovereign King]
AnneSmile Offline

Loc: Amusement
OH OH OH OH OH (Imagine Horshak for Welcome Back Kotter)

235 Years ago to the day ....

The incident, which took place on Thursday, December 16, 1773 ..... what am I talking about ...... Boston Tea Party .... Coincendence?

Who's for dumping all the soda into Seneca Lake, LOL

Relax, I'm kidding and taking literary license for my joke ;\)

Or am I \:o

#939025 --- 12/16/08 05:43 AM Re: Governor [Re: AnneSmile]
Ranger Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: GOD's 1/2 acre
Get used to it, it's called,
"sharing the wealth"

#939045 --- 12/16/08 06:07 AM Re: Governor [Re: Ranger]
AnneSmile Offline

Loc: Amusement

#939059 --- 12/16/08 06:24 AM Re: Governor [Re: Ranger]
Teacher73 Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY, Seneca
So I guess we should just forget about anything that we can do to help get folks to live healthier. Taxing products that aren't good for us to a prohibitive level hasn't shown much success but then again NOTHING seems to do much to impact behavior. So maybe the do gooders should back off. Yeah like that is going to happen. Somehow there is an element of human behavior in which individuals disallow their own failings while finding fault with others; commenting on the sliver in someone else's eye while ignoring the stick in theirs.
But then again we now live in a world where individual responsibility is an endangered activity. It used to be that you were expected to be on top of your issues and take ownership but now there are those who prefer to be told what to do. Just another example of how our culture is heading down the wrong road.

#939064 --- 12/16/08 06:26 AM Re: Governor [Re: Ranger]
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Ranger
"sharing the wealth"

Jerk

#939189 --- 12/16/08 10:30 AM Re: Governor [Re: ]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Loc: Geneva
Let me see...the state is in a deficit of billions of dollars. There is no control of spending so they raise taxes and INCREASE the welfare payout.

We are soo screwed.

#939288 --- 12/16/08 01:38 PM Re: Governor [Re: Taxpayer14456]
Sovereign King Offline

I gotta go talk to my accountant about saving for the TV will rot your brain / is bad for your eyes tax.

#939289 --- 12/16/08 01:40 PM Re: Governor [Re: Sovereign King]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester
Let see SK, you already pay tax for your television viewing. You pay tax when you buy the actual television. If you have a cable service, you pay tax on your current bill.

#939351 --- 12/16/08 03:18 PM Re: Governor [Re: ]
Night prowler Offline

Loc: ny
Originally Posted By: Festus!
"sharing the wealth"

Jerk

Don't be upset Festus, this is what you voted for. Just wait, it will get even better!

Edited by Night prowler (12/16/08 03:20 PM)

#939362 --- 12/16/08 03:28 PM Re: Governor [Re: Night prowler]
wildman69 Offline

Loc: Cheney's Basement
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States.

-- Declaration of Independence

the Celente post may have it correct. I smell tax riots. It is becoming more apparent to all that the gov't can't do anything right and as dumb as the avergae joe may be we know how to spend our own money to benefit us the most better than the gov't can.

Edited by wildman69 (12/16/08 03:28 PM)

#939363 --- 12/16/08 03:31 PM Re: Governor [Re: wildman69]
Night prowler Offline

Speaking of taxes, I wonder if the indians will close off their area of the thruway?

#939383 --- 12/16/08 04:03 PM Re: Governor [Re: Night prowler]
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Night prowler
Originally Posted By: Festus!
"sharing the wealth"

Jerk

Don't be upset Festus, this is what you voted for. Just wait, it will get even better!

Sometimes I think Ranger is ALMOST as big an idiot as you.

#940091 --- 12/17/08 03:09 PM Re: Governor [Re: ]
Night prowler Offline

That makes me Number one? sweet......