FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#939236 --- 12/16/08 12:09 PM Suspect to be Named in Adam Walsh Slaying
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester

FingerLakes1.com
#939250 --- 12/16/08 12:35 PM Re: Suspect to be Named in Adam Walsh Slaying [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
I was watching AMW not to long ago and commented on how stoic Walsh has been all these years. Helping others get the kind of justice he has long awaited for his own child...if any justice can truly be had for that horrific crime.

#939253 --- 12/16/08 12:39 PM Re: Suspect to be Named in Adam Walsh Slaying [Re: Strawberry Jam]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

I would think this would be bittersweet for John Walsh and his family. After all the main suspect is already dead.

#939270 --- 12/16/08 01:08 PM Re: Suspect to be Named in Adam Walsh Slaying [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Loc: Geneva
I have the utmost respect and admiration for Mr. Walsh.

#939279 --- 12/16/08 01:22 PM Re: Suspect to be Named in Adam Walsh Slaying [Re: Taxpayer14456]
Ovidian Offline
Silver Member

Loc: gone
I thought Otis Toole had been positively pegged for that crime years ago?

#939280 --- 12/16/08 01:23 PM Re: Suspect to be Named in Adam Walsh Slaying [Re: Ovidian]
Ovidian Offline
Silver Member

Loc: gone
He's that sick SOB that hung with that other killer Henry Lee Lucas--right?

#939282 --- 12/16/08 01:26 PM Re: Suspect to be Named in Adam Walsh Slaying [Re: Ovidian]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

According to the article on CNN this afternoon, Toole had admitted to the crime a couple times and then recanted his story. John Walsh has alwasy felt Otis Toole is the perp., but so far there has been no hard evidence. Speculation according to the article is there may now be something that does link him. It went on to state that the bloody carpet in Toole's car had been misplaced or lost years ago and DNA testing was never done.

#939841 --- 12/17/08 07:49 AM Re: Suspect to be Named in Adam Walsh Slaying [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Toole had confessed to his niece on his death bed back in the 90's.

http://news.aol.com/article/police-say-walshs-1981-murder-solved/279175

#939844 --- 12/17/08 07:51 AM Re: Suspect to be Named in Adam Walsh Slaying [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

From the article:

What it also did, said Mount Holyoke College sociologist and criminologist Richard Moran, is make children and adults alike exponentially more afraid.
"He ended up really producing a generation of cautious and afraid kids who view all adults and strangers as a threat to them and it made parents extremely paranoid about the safety of their children," Moran said.

Maybe it was time to make parents more aware of what was going on around them. I applaud Walsh for the strides he made in getting more attention and help when it came to missing children.

#939866 --- 12/17/08 08:26 AM Re: Suspect to be Named in Adam Walsh Slaying [Re: Strawberry Jam]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Strawberry Jam
Maybe it was time to make parents more aware of what was going on around them. I applaud Walsh for the strides he made in getting more attention and help when it came to missing children.

I completely agree with you SBJ. Although I find it sad that society has come to the point where parent's need to keep an eye on their kids 24x7 to ensure they are safe from sexual preditors. I remember as a kid being able to wonder through the woods and fields near my home for hours without any concern. I'm really glad I grew up in a different time.

#939884 --- 12/17/08 09:11 AM Re: Suspect to be Named in Adam Walsh Slaying [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: TRD_Tacoma
Originally Posted By: Strawberry Jam

I completely agree with you SBJ. Although I find it sad that society has come to the point where parent's need to keep an eye on their kids 24x7 to ensure they are safe from sexual preditors. I remember as a kid being able to wonder through the woods and fields near my home for hours without any concern. I'm really glad I grew up in a different time.

I remember those times, too. But I remember when it really hit home for me, and that was in 1993 when Sara Ann Wood went missing from a rural road in a nearby town. Her father was the local minister and she was walking home from the church. Her body was never recovered, but a man who had confessed was arrested. To this day he refuses to say where her body is located, only that it's near Racquette Lake which is hours away from here.

After that, I stopped letting my daughter go even across the street to the Fay's Drugstore alone. She was 9.

Sadly, I took care of both Sara's grandparents a few years back, her picture stood out in their room. A great sadness, and the grandmother saw me looking at it one day and spoke to me about it. "Our little angel, all we want to do is bring her back home...", we had a good cry together. My heart just breaks for all families left without closure when a child is abducted or murdered.

#939887 --- 12/17/08 09:15 AM Re: Suspect to be Named in Adam Walsh Slaying [Re: Strawberry Jam]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

I seem to remember hearing about that one. I can not even imagine what that family has gone through.