FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#938612 --- 12/15/08 02:36 PM Left wingers skit
Night prowler Offline

Loc: ny
It's funny they get up set at this, and they laughed at the palin skit. I thought they were both funny.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2008/12/gov-paterson-di.html

FingerLakes1.com
#938618 --- 12/15/08 02:47 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: Night prowler]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Who exactly is "they"? Governor Patterson? Maybe he didn't find the Palin skit funny at all.

You can't really accuse "them" of being amused by one and not the other if you don't know if the "they" who are complaining were offended by the Palin skits or not. The skit was ABOUT Patterson so it stands to reason that he would release a statement if he didn't find it funny and was offended by the portrayal (I have it on my DVR but haven't watched it yet). I doubt Patterson releases a statement about every SNL skit he doesn't find funny and sticks to the ones that actually have him as the subject.

And I'm assuming even Palin laughed at the Palin skits, considering she appeared on SNL herself after they aired.

Edited by past tense (12/15/08 02:50 PM)

#938620 --- 12/15/08 02:49 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: past tense]
Night prowler Offline

I'm not, read the news!

#938623 --- 12/15/08 02:51 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: Night prowler]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Night prowler
I'm not, read the news!

*sigh*

Let's try this again.

Patterson released statements condemning the skit. He didn't find it funny. Did he release statements saying he found the Palin skit funny? No? Then you can't really know if he did or not, since in general people don't randomly comment on skits that AREN'T about them one way or the other.

The news is REPORTING that Patterson wasn't amused by his portrayal in the skit. You are CLAIMING that he found one funny and not the other, which you can't possibly know.

#938629 --- 12/15/08 03:01 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: past tense]
LaughinWillow Offline

Loc: State of Emergency
As someone who has worked with people with disabilities, I don't think it's funny to make fun of people's disabilities at all. I think the difference between making fun of Sarah Palin for not knowing anything politics and making fun of someone because they are blind is clear. If they wanted to make fun of the guy's lack of experience or something having to do with politics, ok, fair game. But having him stumbling around because he's blind is offensive and an unfair representation of people who live with blindness.

All that said, freedom of speech means SNL can be as offensive as they like as far as I'm concerned. I actually came in at the middle of the skit on Saturday, and didn't know exactly who the guy was supposed to be - but I thought it was messed up that they were making fun of blind people. So my personal problem with it has nothing to do with the guy being on the "left" or "right." If they had made fun of Sarah Palin's kid having Down Syndrome, that would have been screwed up too. But unless y'all want to admit that Palin is actually mentally challenged, making fun of her inability to answer simple questions from reporters is certainly not on this level.

#938631 --- 12/15/08 03:01 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: past tense]
Night prowler Offline

Do you think he seen it?

Show me where I said Patterson said the Palin skit was funny. Now your making up stuff.

Edited by Night prowler (12/15/08 03:04 PM)

#938633 --- 12/15/08 03:03 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: Night prowler]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I don't know - and neither do you - and thank you for making a GREAT POINT! He may not have seen the Palin skit at all, nor seen the skit about him during the airing - it could easily have been brought to his attention the next day.

I didn't even realize you were possibly wrong on two levels - thanks!

#938637 --- 12/15/08 03:05 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: past tense]
Night prowler Offline

Reread my last post. I had to change. C'mon PT let's not make up stuff.

Edited by Night prowler (12/15/08 03:06 PM)

#938638 --- 12/15/08 03:06 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: Night prowler]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Do you think he seen it?

Show me where I said Patterson said the Palin skit was funny. Now your making up stuff.

*sigh*

You said "they" found one skit funny and not the other. The "they" in question is PATTERSON. If you meant "the LA Times" "they" didn't comment on the hilarity or lack thereof, they are reporting the statements made BY PATTERSON, the "they" who didn't find it funny.

You don't even know who you're talking about - shocker.

#938639 --- 12/15/08 03:06 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: Night prowler]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Reread my last post. I had to change. C'mon PT let's not make up stuff.

It's funny they get up set at this, and they laughed at the palin skit. I thought they were both funny.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2008/12/gov-paterson-di.html

"They" is Patterson, per the article YOU LINKED.

I'm not making stuff up. You're back pedaling because you realize you don't know what you're talking about.

Edited by past tense (12/15/08 03:07 PM)

#938641 --- 12/15/08 03:07 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: past tense]
Night prowler Offline

If you look at the title it says Left Wingers. You don't suppose he is the only left winger do you?

#938643 --- 12/15/08 03:08 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: Night prowler]
Night prowler Offline

lol, Im not back pedaling. that's not on a Patterson web site. your not that simple minded are you?

#938644 --- 12/15/08 03:09 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: Night prowler]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

If you look at the title it says Left Wingers. You don't suppose he is the only left winger do you?

LOL

First of all, the article is about the Governor's distaste for the skit. Just because YOU SAY it's "left wingers" who are offended doesn't mean that's what the article is about.

And I'm willing to bet there are a few blind Republicans who would also find that skit distasteful.

I'm so NOT shocked that you are fumbling around in this one.

#938645 --- 12/15/08 03:10 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: Night prowler]
Night prowler Offline

Did I stump you on that? Where did you go?

#938647 --- 12/15/08 03:10 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: Night prowler]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

lol, Im not back pedaling. that's not on a Patterson web site. your not that simple minded are you?

Are you this stupid? Really? The LA Times is reporting this story because EVERYONE is reporting this story.

The LA Times takes no position on the skit - they are just reporting that the Governor didn't like it because he released a statement about it!

LOLOLOLOL

#938650 --- 12/15/08 03:12 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: Night prowler]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Did I stump you on that? Where did you go?

OMG

You couldn't stump me on your best day and my worst day.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

The article you quoted isn't about LEFT WINGERS it's about GOVERNOR PATTERSON.

I'm sure plenty of liberals will find this funny and plenty of conservatives won't. It's got nothing to do with ideology and everything to do with the kind of humor that appeals to you.

Do you really think that Governor Patterson would have found this skit funny if it were about a blind conservative Republican?

hahahahahaha

You probably do.

#938652 --- 12/15/08 03:15 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: past tense]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

And before you get excited, I'm "going" now - not because you stumped me but because I'm out of food and I'm going grocery shopping.

Have fun arguing nonsense you don't even understand yourself!

#938654 --- 12/15/08 03:15 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: Night prowler]
Night prowler Offline

Regardless, no one came to Palins defense. Sorry, when your in public office that goes with the job, bad taste or not. People just need to be a little thicker skinned about it. Patterson is not doing a very good job. He is probably more upset about the cocaine bit then anything else. I don't think we will get anyone better then him because people vote on not what they stand for, but who they hear more about. I stand by my statement. BOTH SKITS WERE FUNNY.

Seriously how can anyone come up with a Cow fart tax and not be looked down upon?

#938660 --- 12/15/08 03:22 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: Night prowler]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Regardless, no one came to Palins defense.

And as I stated, most of the time public figures only comment on the skits that parody THEM - Palin doesn't have a long track record of commenting on the skits about Hilary that had been running for YEARS before you even knew who Palin was - often unflattering skits that showed Hilary as an opportunist, a carpetbagger, a scorned wife. Bush didn't go on record about skits about Clinton, etc.

You're arguing nonsense - because Patterson never condemned the skits about Palin, he automatically found them funny? Palin didn't condemn the skits about her, either. In fact, she went on the show.

Just because Patterson didn't comment or condemn skits about other politicians you can't POSSIBLY assume he found them funny. If for no other reason than because SNL is rarely funny.

Armisen has played Patterson before - seated at a desk and not stumbling around - and Patterson never took issue with his portrayal before this skit. Are you willing to admit that it could POSSIBLY be that he really thinks they went too far, not that he doesn't like the way they "do him" on SNL?

Sorry, when your in public office that goes with the job, bad taste or not. People just need to be a little thicker skinned about it.

So now your objection is that he was offended at all?

Oy.

Patterson is not doing a very good job.

Tangent!

He is probably more upset about the cocaine bit then anything else.

Um, I'm willing to bet he's upset about exactly what he said he was upset about.

I don't think we will get anyone better then him because people vote on not what they stand for, but who they hear more about.

Tangent!

I stand by my statement. BOTH SKITS WERE FUNNY.

Feel free to stand by it - I never said they weren't. I said I have this skit on my DVR and haven't watched it yet.

I'm not saying it's offensive either, I'm just trying to explain to you why your claims that "they" found one funny and not the other are based on your assumptions, not on what "they" really thought or not.

Seriously how can anyone come up with a Cow fart tax and not be looked down upon?

Tangent!

If they had satirized the cow fart tax I doubt he would have released a statement but instead they satirized his blindness, with which he did take issue.

Edited by past tense (12/15/08 03:25 PM)

#938663 --- 12/15/08 03:25 PM Re: Left wingers skit [Re: Night prowler]
HarleyBobT Offline

Loc: Walloon Freedom Fighter
It was funny NP and it was as funny as the Palin skits.

You also have to remember to a liberal it's only funny if it happens to a republican, not to them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >