FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#937689 --- 12/14/08 01:32 PM Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog
BAGHDAD (Reuters) – An Iraqi reporter called visiting U.S. President George W. Bush a "dog" in Arabic on Sunday and threw his shoes at him during a news conference in Baghdad.Iraqi security officers and U.S. secret service agents leapt at the man and dragged him struggling and screaming out of the room where Bush was giving a news conference with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki.

The shoes missed their target about 15 feet (4.5 metres) away. One sailed over Bush's head as he stood next to Maliki and smacked into the wall behind him. Bush smiled uncomfortably and Maliki looked strained.

[b]"It doesn't bother me," Bush said, urging everyone to calm down as a ruckus broke out in the conference room.[/b]
When asked about the incident shortly after, Bush made light of it. "I didn't feel the least threatened by it," he said.

Other Iraqi journalists apologised on behalf of their colleague, a television journalist.

FingerLakes1.com
#937698 --- 12/14/08 02:10 PM Re: Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog [Re: Retired Soldier]
Bing Bong Offline

Loc: the road to hell
Originally Posted By: Retired Soldier
BAGHDAD (Reuters) – An Iraqi reporter called visiting U.S. President George W. Bush a "dog" in Arabic on Sunday and threw his shoes at him during a news conference in Baghdad.

Well. That's assertive.

Another ill-mannered foreigner, so near and dear to RBSer's heart.

#937705 --- 12/14/08 02:26 PM Re: Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog *DELETED* [Re: Bing Bong]
My view Offline

Loc: USA
Post deleted by My view

Edited by My view (12/14/08 02:33 PM)

#937714 --- 12/14/08 02:42 PM Re: Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog [Re: My view]
Brad ONeill Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls NY
The video is funny as hell!!!

#937742 --- 12/14/08 03:32 PM Re: Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog [Re: Brad ONeill]
My view Offline

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/14/mccain-urges-bankruptcy-like-solution-for-auto-makers/

December 14, 2008, 11:00 am
McCain Faults Detainee Treatment, and Auto Industry
By Brian Knowlton

Senator John McCain, the ranking Republican on the Armed Services Committee, said Sunday that “history obviously will render a very harsh judgment” on its treatment of its detainees.

The former presidential candidate said on ABC that he and Senator Lindsey Graham had once visited a prison in Iraq and were allowed to meet with a senior al-Qaeda leader. Asked how the extremist group had been able to sow so much trouble in Iraq in the chaotic months after the U.S. invasion, the man replied that a key factor was Abu Ghraib. Furious reaction to detainee abuse at the Iraqi prison helped al-Qaeda recruit thousands of militants, the man said.

“You can’t underestimate the damage that our treatment of prisoners” did, McCain said.

Edited by My view (12/14/08 03:42 PM)

#937750 --- 12/14/08 03:44 PM Re: Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog [Re: Retired Soldier]
Al Kida Offline

BAGHDAD (Reuters) – An Iraqi reporter called visiting U.S. President George W. Bush a "dog" in Arabic on Sunday and threw his shoes at him during a news conference in Baghdad.

That was Iraqi reporter???

I thought was NBC reporter!!!

#937776 --- 12/14/08 04:47 PM Re: Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog [Re: My view]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

Yes, I saw the interview this morning on George Stephanopolis' show.

#938057 --- 12/14/08 10:25 PM Re: Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog [Re: Retired Soldier]
Brightday Offline

The incident was misunderstood. The Iraqi wanted his shoes shined.

#938314 --- 12/15/08 07:01 AM Re: Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog [Re: Retired Soldier]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

Iraqis Pick Up Their Shoes: Reaction From Around the Country
By Eric Owles

President Bush got a taste of dissent at a Baghdad press event Sunday. (Photo: APTN/Associated Press)BAGHDAD — An American military patrol in Najaf on Monday was pelted by shoes thrown by supporters of Moktada al-Sadr, the radical Shiite cleric. In Tikrit, journalists demonstrated in support of an Iraqi
reporter who threw his shoes at President Bush during a news conference yesterday. And across Iraq, everyone seemed to have an opinion the flying footwear incident.

Hitting someone with a shoe is a strong insult in Iraq. It means the person is as low as the dirt underneath the sole of a shoe and the actions of Muntader al-Zaidi, a correspondent for an independent Iraqi television station, were condemned by Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Malaki, the Iraqi government and other reporters at the Sunday news conference. Mr. Bush was unhurt and make a joke afterward, but the shoes have overshadowed other news coverage of the trip including an attempt to showcase the new security agreement.

In Najaf

In the holy Shiite city of Najaf, 100 miles south of Baghdad, the demonstrators chanted: “Bush, Bush, is a cow, your farewell was by a shoe” and “the shoe got its goal straightly, but Maliki turned it away.”

“These demonstrators are refusing the president of evil as well as renewing their refusing to the [security] pact,” said Hazim Araji. “And we have coordinated such demonstrations in the whole of Iraq”.

In Mosul

In Mosul, the largely Sunni Arab capital of Nineveh Province, residents supported the shoe-tossing Iraqi journalist.

“I swear by God that this man has freely expressed all Iraqis’ opinions and brought their wishes to reality,” Mudhar Adeeb, an engineer, said.

Fawaz Ahmad, a 45-year-old day laborer, said “He performed an excellent job and a great challenge. Bush deserves more than that.”

“He has done what the whole world could not,” Hazim Edress said.

“This is the second insult directed to America after September’s events,” said Jasim Abdullah, a 29-year-old shopkeeper, in reference to the Sept. 11 attacks. “I suggest having an auction to sell the shoe”.

Yaareb Yousif Matti, a 45-year-old teacher said “This is the killers and criminals’ dessert. They are Iraqi people’s killers. I swear by God that all Iraqis with their different ationalities are glad about this act”.

In Kirkuk

In the tense northern city of Kirkuk, where at least 48 people were killed in a restaurant bombing last week, many people praised the actions of the Iraqi journalist.

“Muntadhar’s action is the top of heroism,” said Farhan Khalaf, a teacher. “He represents all Iraqis’ tragedies and sadness but he has not suicided himself nor planted an I.E.D. nor beheaded anyone. He practiced the democracy which brought by the American. He has to be released at once. He is in all people’s hearts in Iraq and in the whole world. I am sure that he will supported by the Democrats in America.”

Sarkoon Hanna, a Christian pharmacist said “The journalist is supposed to cover the event not to give Iraqi’s a bad reputation, embarrassing the government and the journalists who were at the conference in the Green Zone.”

Shirzad Rasheed al-Barazanji, an agricultural engineer, said “What happened showed the hatreds planted in Iraqi hearts. I am a Kurd and if I was in his place I would ask Bush an embarrassing question, but not acting like that. I do not set aside that behind that journalist there is a political agenda against Bush and Maliki.”

He added that “when the American army got inside Iraq people welcomed them by throwing flowers, but Bush was told farewell by a shoe. So the new American authority has to be careful in their strategy in Iraq.”

Maten Omar Karkoli, a Turkmen shopkeeper, said “Muntadhar has represented the peaceful resistance. It is the language of democracy which was brought by America, but I just wonder if Bush was beaten by a shoe then by what would Iraqi people beat their political leaders and representatives?”

Atyya Mejbil Obaidi, a governmental employee, said “Bush threw bombs and rockets at Iraq and he destroyed my home by drawing a divisive strategy. So does he not deserve to get something from Iraqis?”

In Sulaimaniya

Not everyone supported the Iraqi journalist’s actions. In the Kurdish city of Sulaimaniya, in northern Iraq, residents condemned the incident.

“This is unsuitable action by an Iraqi journalist. I was watching TV last night when I saw it. His action served terrorism and radical national extremism. I think he could send the same message by asking
Bush embarrassing questions,” said Kamal Wahbi, a 49-year-old engineer.

“I spent five years in Saddam’s jails. This journalist has to throw flowers on Bush not a shoe, because Bush saved the Iraqi people from a bloody regime. Malaki has to raise a case against this journalist,”
said Saman Qadir, a 51-year-old mechanic.

“This journalist wanted to show himself to the world but he did not get any interest for Iraq. It was an immoral act by a person claimed to be a journalist. I am surprised about the announcer in the journalists’ channel whom read a statement about their employee. He was the same announcer who was reading Saddam’s statements in the former regime,” said Sherwan Kameran, 42.

“If this journalist had a specific opinion about something he could show it in professional manner, i.e. asking a provocative question, not by an action unsuitable to our occupation,” Serwan Ghareeb, a
25-year-old journalist said.

Buhra Najeeb, a 38-year-old housewife said “I was watching TV when I saw that action and I was afraid that Bush may launch a war against Iraq, but I felt assured when I saw Bush laughing. Anyway the action was unacceptable.”

Reporting was contributed by Atheer Kakan from Baghdad; and Iraqi employees of The New York Times from Najaf, Mosul, Kirkuk and Sulaimaniya.

#938346 --- 12/15/08 07:53 AM Re: Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog [Re: Retired Soldier]
Gold Member

It wasn't a reporter, and it wasn't an Iraqi.

It was none other than Rick Wagoner.

#938408 --- 12/15/08 10:03 AM Re: Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog [Re: Retired Soldier]
Bing Bong Offline

Loc: the road to hell
Iraqis Pick Up Their Shoes: Reaction From Around the Country

Looks like we've reached a tipping point. Now there will be millions of shoeless Iraqis running around. It may even become a global fashion.

#939130 --- 12/16/08 08:08 AM Re: Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog [Re: My view]
My view Offline

Originally Posted By: My view
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/14/mccain-urges-bankruptcy-like-solution-for-auto-makers/

December 14, 2008, 11:00 am
McCain Faults Detainee Treatment, and Auto Industry
By Brian Knowlton

Senator John McCain, the ranking Republican on the Armed Services Committee, said Sunday that “history obviously will render a very harsh judgment” on its treatment of its detainees.

The former presidential candidate said on ABC that he and Senator Lindsey Graham had once visited a prison in Iraq and were allowed to meet with a senior al-Qaeda leader. Asked how the extremist group had been able to sow so much trouble in Iraq in the chaotic months after the U.S. invasion, the man replied that a key factor was Abu Ghraib. Furious reaction to detainee abuse at the Iraqi prison helped al-Qaeda recruit thousands of militants, the man said.

“You can’t underestimate the damage that our treatment of prisoners” did, McCain said.

When the Abu Graib situation came to light, some people laughed it off as similiar to a college prank. Now we see how wrong they were. Abu Graib did serious damage to the US reputation world wide and especially in the Islamic world. I would have a lot more respect for John McCain if he brought this information to light before the election and made a clean break with the Bush administration at that time.

#940157 --- 12/17/08 05:35 PM Re: Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog [Re: Al Kida]
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Al Kida

That was Iraqi reporter???

I thought was NBC reporter!!!

You're not equipped to think, Dummy.

#940164 --- 12/17/08 05:45 PM Re: Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog [Re: ]
oldmedic Offline

Loc: Seneca County

dum⋅my   /ˈdʌmi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [duhm-ee] Show IPA Pronunciation
noun, plural -mies, adjective, verb, -mied, -my⋅ing.
–noun 1. a representation or copy of something, as for displaying to indicate appearance: a display of lipstick dummies made of colored plastic.
2. a representation of a human figure, as for displaying clothes in store windows.
3. Informal. a stupid person; dolt.
4. a person who has nothing to say or who takes no active part in affairs.
5. one put forward to act for others while ostensibly acting for oneself.
6. Slang. a. Offensive. a person who lacks the power of speech.
b. a person who is characteristically and habitually silent.

7. Bridge. a. the declarer's partner, whose hand is exposed and played by the declarer.
b. the hand of cards so exposed.
c. a game so played.
d. an imaginary player represented by an exposed hand that is played by and serves as partner to one of the players.

8. British. pacifier (def. 2).
9. Printing. sheets folded and made up to show the size, shape, form, sequence, and general style of a contemplated piece of printing.
10. a rammer for pushing out dents in lead pipe.
11. Computers. an artificial address, instruction, or other datum fed into a computer only to fulfill prescribed conditions and not affecting operations for solving problems.
12. Military. a nonexplosive bomb used for practice exercises.
13. Dentistry. pontic.
–adjective 14. noting or pertaining to an imitation, representation, or copy.
15. counterfeit; sham; fictitious.
16. put forward to act for others while ostensibly acting for oneself.
17. Cards. played with a dummy.
–verb (used with object) 18. Printing. to prepare a dummy of (often fol. by up): The designer dummied up the book so that they could study the format.
19. to represent in a dummy (often fol. by in): to dummy in an illustration.
—Verb phrase20. dummy up, Informal. to keep silent; refuse to answer: If anybody asks you, just dummy up.

#940168 --- 12/17/08 05:46 PM Re: Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog [Re: oldmedic]
Gold Member

Yep. He's a DUMMY.

#940175 --- 12/17/08 05:49 PM Re: Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog [Re: ]
oldmedic Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Originally Posted By: Festus!
Yep. He's a DUMMY.

You should have never told me about Dictionary.com