FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#1002339 --- 04/01/09 06:57 AM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: BJ Radford]
HighC Offline

Loc: Out of my mind
Since today is April 1, Did Lakeside complete the required Federal Floor Stock Inventory?

Are you planning on remitting payment for the Federal floor stock tax on Aug 1, 2009?
The tobacco increases are as follows:
Cigarettes: 62 cents per pack
Large Cigars: up to $.40 per large cigar
Little Cigars: 96 cents per pack
Pipe Tobacco: $1.71 per pound
Roll-Your-Own Tobacco: $23.53 per pound
Chewing Tobacco: 30.5 cents per pound
Snuff: 91.5 cents per pound

For those who are not aware, this is a federal excise tax increase that is going to fund childrens health care (SCHIP). This is a tax the manufacturers pay and build into the price of their product. The floor tax is to retrieve the money from product already in retail.

FingerLakes1.com
#1002377 --- 04/01/09 08:19 AM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: justaxme]
BJ Radford Offline

Loc: Geneva
A very good, hard working cashier made an error, as I said. I'm surprised you find that so hard to believe. Scan back through some of the past issues of the Finger Lakes Times. You will see where other cashiers at other stores have made the same error. It is usually on page six and is just a couple of sentences - not front page news. It would be hard for our cashiers to sell booze to a minor, or anyone else!

#1002378 --- 04/01/09 08:19 AM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: HighC]
BJ Radford Offline

LakeSide Trading has always, and as far as I know, will continue to pay federal excise taxes on cigarettes.

#1002388 --- 04/01/09 08:47 AM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: BJ Radford]
trump Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: BJ Radford
Trump- Yes I am an American citizen. The use of the word belief in your next question negates my willingness to answer it. Yes Seneca County DOH sent a minor into LakeSide Trading and the minor was sold cigarettes. A cashier made an error. I paid the fine. Yes - Seneca County Weights and Measures certifies the pumps at LakeSide Trading.

New York charges a 4% sales tax. Seneca County adds on a 4% sales tax. The Seneca County sales tax is part of the county income to support Seneca DOH and Seneca County Weights and Measures. Therefore you use these Seneca County services yet refuse to pay your fair share? How in the heck do you justify this in your own mind? You are cheating on other businesses and other people that pay that tax. I see no other way to look at it. You are trying to play both ends against the middle.

Examples have been posted on here for businesses run by white people that have been closed down to their failure to pay their sales tax. There is absolutely no reason these laws should not apply to everyone equally. Is there?

A while ago someone posted a comment on here that 200 years ago black people in America were treated much worse than Indians were. So now would it make sense for President Obama to declare that black people don't have to pay all the taxes that white people do? Of course not. Americas tax laws apply equally to everyone. If you are not paying all the taxes due, you are not a good American citizen.

I could probably come up with a lot more questions to ask you but why should I bother? You have already showed me that you run an illegal operation. The only thing I don't understand is why the NY state government and the federal government let you go on breaking the law day after day year after year.

#1002389 --- 04/01/09 08:48 AM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: BJ Radford]
trump Offline

LakeSide Trading has always, and as far as I know, will continue to pay federal excise taxes on cigarettes.

So your operation picks and chooses which taxes they want to pay? nice. I bet we all wish we could do that.

#1002396 --- 04/01/09 09:07 AM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: trump]
SilverFox Offline

Loc: Waterloo
I may be wrong but I don't think they have a choice on the Federal Excise tax. I believe that is collected at the distributor level and not left to the retailer.

BJ, the only facts you are providing are the twisted brain washed facts provided by your employer. Others on the forums had provided documented facts backed up by State and Federal courts that you continue to deny and don't want to hear.

No, I am not surprised or disappointed in your twisted replies.I expected exactly that from you. We all knew that is why you came on the forums. If you choose to believe the twisted truths as presented by theses Cayuga "Nation" wannabees that is certainly your right. I only hope the courts continue to see the real truth through balony the Cayugas are spreading and enforce the laws as established equally.

#1002415 --- 04/01/09 09:28 AM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: BJ Radford]
HighC Offline

Loc: Out of my mind

My question was "Are you planning on remitting payment for the Federal floor stock tax on Aug 1, 2009?"

The Tobacco Excise tax is normally taxed at the manufacturer level. Retailers are to remit the increased tax rate to the federal government on the March 31 floor stock inventory.

#1002462 --- 04/01/09 11:02 AM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: BJ Radford]
justaxme Offline

Loc: On top?
A very good, hard working cashier made an error, as I said. I'm surprised you find that so hard to believe. Scan back through some of the past issues of the Finger Lakes Times. You will see where other cashiers at other stores have made the same error. It is usually on page six and is just a couple of sentences - not front page news. It would be hard for our cashiers to sell booze to a minor, or anyone else!

Enlighten me. How does that happen? You ask for proof of age and do the math. Was there a math "mistake"? As far as others go, they're just as bad.

#1002499 --- 04/01/09 12:39 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: HighC]
SilverFox Offline

Thank you for your explanation. I appreciate it. \:\)

#1002502 --- 04/01/09 12:58 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: SilverFox]
Code Red Offline

Loc: Out of my mind....
A math mistake, very likley. Over the years they have been paid, and paid, and paid some more, for land they only had use of. Maybe not a math problem but an over sight. If I had so much sweetness and sunshine pumped up my backside, that my eyes glowed, like some of the people feeling sorry for the Cayugas. I wouldn't be able to see their ID to proof them. You believe what you want to believe and I believe what I believe. But your eyes are glowing, and I'm not going to bend over for some of what you got.

#1002507 --- 04/01/09 01:11 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: BJ Radford]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Did the tribe not fail to convince the Judge that the reservation still exists?
Or did the tribe blame NY state for not collecting the cig/gas taxes?
Does paying the Federal government not go against the "sovereignty" claim by the tribes?

#1002524 --- 04/01/09 01:31 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: bluezone]
SilverFox Offline

Simple twisted logic on the part of the Cayugas.

#1002613 --- 04/01/09 04:59 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: BJ Radford]
SFisWonderful Offline

Loc: NEW YORK

You are 100% right, other stores have made the same mistake of selling to minors. Here is the difference, the BIG difference!

Lakeside Trading stores whined and cried about the $300 fine and said that "your" laws dont apply to us! They finally paid this fine but not after making a big deal out of it.

The other stores paid the fine and took disciniplary with the employee that made the error and PAID the fine just to move forward. These stores didnt come up with every excuse they could think of, they paid the fine and moved on.

#1002618 --- 04/01/09 05:06 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: BJ Radford]
SFisWonderful Offline

Blue zone- I appreciate you answering my question re. the ad for cigarettes. I had forgotten all about the ad you correctly refer to. It's part of the NASCAR page and was booked back in the Fall for the whole season. I'll get it corrected today.

Silver Fox- You are correct- my presence here was bound to elicit all sorts of comments. But as I stated originally, I choose to only post matters of fact. Glad I not only didn't dissappoint you, but behaved as you would reasonably expect me to based on that original post.

Trump- Yes I am an American citizen. The use of the word belief in your next question negates my willingness to answer it. Yes Seneca County DOH sent a minor into LakeSide Trading and the minor was sold cigarettes. A cashier made an error. I paid the fine. Yes - Seneca County Weights and Measures certifies the pumps at LakeSide Trading.

SFisWonderful- If you want facts I'm your girl. It appears though what you want is an opportunity to discuss your opinions. Your right to do and my right not to do. For that you will have to look elsewhere.

My opinions? NO, these are facts. You cant expect roads, streets, highways, bridges, and water/sewer lines to be maintained without those who use them to pay in. Sure, you might pay the taxes now, but as you said, this is only a game that you are playing to get this land into trust so they can come off of the tax roles.

You can twist, beat, and make your words come out both sides of your mouth all you want but you end up saying the same thing in the end. Which is, you feel that native americans, not all, but the ones you represent (halftown, twoguns, halftowns mommy) should all be granted above-the-law-citizenship.

#1002649 --- 04/01/09 06:14 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: SFisWonderful]
trump Offline

Originally Posted By: SFisWonderful

You are 100% right, other stores have made the same mistake of selling to minors. Here is the difference, the BIG difference!

Lakeside Trading stores whined and cried about the $300 fine and said that "your" laws dont apply to us! They finally paid this fine but not after making a big deal out of it.

The other stores paid the fine and took disciniplary with the employee that made the error and PAID the fine just to move forward. These stores didnt come up with every excuse they could think of, they paid the fine and moved on.

Wow. I didn't know all this. Very interesting. BJ Radford, Is this what happened?

#1002658 --- 04/01/09 06:35 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: trump]
SFisWonderful Offline

Originally Posted By: trump

Wow. I didn't know all this. Very interesting. BJ Radford, Is this what happened?

Well, I would let her answer, but she feels as though everything we say is an OPINION. I wonder how she feels about what LEE ALCOTT says. Alcott boldly stated that they are above the laws that all the other slum citizens must live by. Here is the article:
Lawyer: Cayugas won't pay fine
Nation cites its sovereignty in rebuffing penalty for selling cigarettes to a minor.
Friday, June 20, 2008
By Scott Rapp
Staff writer
The Cayuga Indian Nation will not pay a $300 fine for selling cigarettes to a minor at its LakeSide Trading gas station and convenience store in the town of Seneca Falls, a nation lawyer said Thursday.

The Seneca County health board imposed the penalty on Wednesday, setting up another legal clash over the issue of sovereignty.

Saying it has sovereign rights, the nation believes it can operate its Route 89 store beyond the reach of local and state laws. The county disagrees, holding to its long-standing position against Indian sovereignty.

"They have no jurisdiction. . . . They're clearly without the authority to impose the fine and to collect the fine," said Lee Alcott, a Syracuse lawyer representing the Cayugas.

The nation was cited for selling cigarettes to a minor - a violation of state public health law - after the county's first inspection at LakeSide Trading on April 25, County Attorney Frank Fisher said.

The citation was upheld after an administrative hearing May 21.

At the hearing, Alcott disputed the county's right to conduct the inspection while Fisher said the county has every right to enforce the law at the business, which the Cayugas acquired in October 2003.

"There's nothing about that facility that makes it unique. Their claim that they're on an Indian reservation is not correct," Fisher said.

The state Health Department did not object to the county inspecting the store, said Beth Goldberg, a department spokeswoman.

The Cayugas own a similar business in Union Springs, but Cayuga County has never tried to enforce the law regulating tobacco sales to minors at that store, said Scott King, a spokesman for the Cayuga County Health Department.

"We've been consistently told by the state Health Department not to regulate that facility," he said.

In 2005, the Cayugas lost a federal lawsuit to regain sovereign title to some 64,000 acres of ancestral land around the north end of Cayuga Lake. Since then, the nation has applied to put some of its growing land holdings in both Seneca and Cayuga counties into sovereign federal trust. Both counties oppose the move, which remains pending before the U.S. Department of Interior....

#1002668 --- 04/01/09 06:47 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: SFisWonderful]
SilverFox Offline

Maybe we should give Lee Alcott a break. He has been so brain washed by Twoguns and Halftown that he believes all the Cayuga twisted logic and history. Poor guy will probably die of embarassment when the truth comes out. Or, maybe he will die laughing on the way to the bank with all the legal fees they have paid him.

#1002842 --- 04/02/09 05:47 AM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: SFisWonderful]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

In 2005, the Cayugas lost a federal lawsuit to regain sovereign title to some 64,000 acres of ancestral land around the north end of Cayuga Lake. Since then, the nation has applied to put some of its growing land holdings in both Seneca and Cayuga counties into sovereign federal trust.

Sounds like there ain't no reservation.
There would be no need for trust if a reservation were to exist.

#1002846 --- 04/02/09 05:54 AM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: ]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Festus!
Can the county bring charges under RICO?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/30/us/tribe-loses-suit-on-tax-free-tobacco.html

#1002874 --- 04/02/09 06:10 AM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: HighC]
BJ Radford Offline

Sorry - guess I need to be more direct - YES

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >