FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#1001369 --- 03/30/09 12:43 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: Rich_Tallcot]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Rich_Tallcot
Originally Posted By: Festus!
Can the county bring charges under RICO?
Booomburg was authorized by the Second Circuit to use RICO against the L.I. tribes and Washington State is using RICO against the Yakama. Anything is possible. The right connections have to be made to proceed with such an action. Basically, I think all that has to be proven is that sales to a non-tribal citizen were being resold. That may or may not have been done. Once applied, tribes have NO sovereign immunity from it. BUT, the tribe already opened the door to the courts by filing the initial lawsuit. Furthermore, these laws apply TO reservations. Their arguments claiming the laws do not apply because of claimed reservation status are hollow. The fact this is NOT a reservation only makes the situation more obvious, except for those that refuse to accept the obvious.

;\)

FingerLakes1.com
#1001617 --- 03/31/09 04:11 AM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: bluezone]
justaxme Offline

Loc: On top?
Yesterday I heard Lakeside ads on FL1 Radio advertise their savings on tobacco products and how concerned they are about our well being during this recent economic downturn. Yeah right.

#1001713 --- 03/31/09 06:47 AM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: justaxme]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Is that why the tribe is costing the county/taxpayers millions of dollars of lost revenue each year?

#1001780 --- 03/31/09 09:42 AM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: justaxme]
trump Offline

Originally Posted By: justaxme
Yesterday I heard Lakeside ads on FL1 Radio advertise their savings on tobacco products and how concerned they are about our well being during this recent economic downturn. Yeah right.

I heard that this morning. That is truly unbelievable.

#1001893 --- 03/31/09 01:33 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: trump]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

So does that mean they are still selling the ilegal cigs?
or is this just false advertising?

#1001896 --- 03/31/09 01:35 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: bluezone]
trump Offline

Originally Posted By: bluezone
So does that mean they are still selling the ilegal cigs?
or is this just false advertising?

The ad doesn't say cigarettes. It says tobacco products.

#1001902 --- 03/31/09 01:42 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: trump]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Sounds like they are grasping for any coin they can get their hands on. I saw an advertisement in a local paper the other day and it did say cigarettes.

#1001956 --- 03/31/09 02:52 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: bluezone]
BJ Radford Offline

Loc: Geneva
I would appreciate knowing where you saw an ad advertising cigarettes, as I am not aware of one.
We are advertising tobacco products as we are still selling tobacco products, just not cigarettes!

#1001961 --- 03/31/09 02:57 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: BJ Radford]
trump Offline

Originally Posted By: BJ Radford
I would appreciate knowing where you saw an ad advertising cigarettes, as I am not aware of one.
We are advertising tobacco products as we are still selling tobacco products, just not cigarettes!

Are you collecting sales tax on any of these tobacco products or are you undercutting other merchants who must collect these sales taxes?

#1001967 --- 03/31/09 03:19 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: trump]
BJ Radford Offline

Wouldn't it be more interesting to ask a question that you didn't already know the answer to?
As you know, LakeSide Trading does not collect or remit sales tax.

#1001968 --- 03/31/09 03:21 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: BJ Radford]
trump Offline

Wouldn't it be more interesting to ask a question that you didn't already know the answer to?

And you think that is fair? I think that is outrageous.

#1001972 --- 03/31/09 03:32 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: trump]
BJ Radford Offline

As I stated in an earlier post, I am not interested in discussing my(or anyone's elses!)opinions on these forums. I have no interest in attempting to convince people that my religion is better, my political party affiliation is the right one, or that my views on any subject should be someone else's views. Actually, I'm offended when someone thinks their thoughts or views are so damn correct that I should be subjected to listening to them without asking for them. I do understand not everyone feels this way and these forums are a great way for people to express those views. I'm choosing to limit my involvement to merely trying to provide matters of fact if indeed people are interested or incorrect. Sorry if that dissappoints!

#1001995 --- 03/31/09 04:17 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: BJ Radford]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Finger Lakes Times
Tuesday March 24, 2009
page-9B
Upper left corner

Lakeside Trading
An enterprise of the Cayuga Nation
LOWEST PRICES ON CIGARETTES & GAS

RT.90 UNION SPRINGS RT.89 SENECA FALLS

(usually it is a full page ad)

#1001996 --- 03/31/09 04:18 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: BJ Radford]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

The reason would be?

#1002002 --- 03/31/09 04:26 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: BJ Radford]
SilverFox Offline

Loc: Waterloo
Sorry, but when you came on this forum and identified yourself you openned yourself up to responses from all other posters. Disappointed? Not at all. Expected of you? Definitely.

#1002006 --- 03/31/09 04:32 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: BJ Radford]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

I'm choosing to limit my involvement to merely trying to provide matters of fact if indeed people are interested or incorrect.

Facts are always welcome and will garner interest.

#1002065 --- 03/31/09 06:15 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: BJ Radford]
trump Offline

As I stated in an earlier post, I am not interested in discussing my(or anyone's elses!)opinions on these forums. I have no interest in attempting to convince people that my religion is better, my political party affiliation is the right one, or that my views on any subject should be someone else's views. Actually, I'm offended when someone thinks their thoughts or views are so damn correct that I should be subjected to listening to them without asking for them. I do understand not everyone feels this way and these forums are a great way for people to express those views. I'm choosing to limit my involvement to merely trying to provide matters of fact if indeed people are interested or incorrect. Sorry if that dissappoints!

OK. Let me ask you some questions. Are you an American citizen? Do you believe your reservation around Cayuga Lake is a sovereign nation? I believe the Seneca County government came and and validated the accuracy of your gas pumps? Why would you allow another nation to to do that? I believe an American anti-smoking organization caught you selling cigs to minors? And you paid a fine to another nation? The USA. Is that correct?

#1002071 --- 03/31/09 06:49 PM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: trump]
SFisWonderful Offline

Loc: NEW YORK
Originally Posted By: trump

OK. Let me ask you some questions. Are you an American citizen? Do you believe your reservation around Cayuga Lake is a sovereign nation? I believe the Seneca County government came and and validated the accuracy of your gas pumps? Why would you allow another nation to to do that? I believe an American anti-smoking organization caught you selling cigs to minors? And you paid a fine to another nation? The USA. Is that correct?

And. . .
-If you want to be independent of the United States of America, why are the tribal governments always looking for government "injection" monies?

-How do you feel the United States of America should maintain its infrastructure without tax dollars? If everyone chose to not pay taxes, how would the infrastructure be maintained? Do you feel it's ok for some to pay but others get a free ride?

#1002218 --- 04/01/09 03:32 AM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: SFisWonderful]
BJ Radford Offline

Blue zone- I appreciate you answering my question re. the ad for cigarettes. I had forgotten all about the ad you correctly refer to. It's part of the NASCAR page and was booked back in the Fall for the whole season. I'll get it corrected today.

Silver Fox- You are correct- my presence here was bound to elicit all sorts of comments. But as I stated originally, I choose to only post matters of fact. Glad I not only didn't dissappoint you, but behaved as you would reasonably expect me to based on that original post.

Trump- Yes I am an American citizen. The use of the word belief in your next question negates my willingness to answer it. Yes Seneca County DOH sent a minor into LakeSide Trading and the minor was sold cigarettes. A cashier made an error. I paid the fine. Yes - Seneca County Weights and Measures certifies the pumps at LakeSide Trading.

SFisWonderful- If you want facts I'm your girl. It appears though what you want is an opportunity to discuss your opinions. Your right to do and my right not to do. For that you will have to look elsewhere.

#1002328 --- 04/01/09 06:40 AM Re: Judge: Cayugas can't sell tax-free cigarettes [Re: BJ Radford]
justaxme Offline

Loc: On top?
WOW!!!

"Yes Seneca County DOH sent a minor into LakeSide Trading and the minor was sold cigarettes."

That's unbelievable!! How does someone make a "mistake" like that? I think selling cigs to minors is no mistake. It's maybe incompetence, knowingly selling to a minor or feeling above the law. Do they sell booze too?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >