FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#931251 --- 12/05/08 04:47 AM media balance?
Mountain Man Offline

Loc: out there
This video from Fox News was sent to me by a very strong republican. Before jumping me for supporting Bush or McCain, you already know I voted for neither. I also did not vote for Obama, I voted Independent simply as a protest.

The point goes back to a previous thread where we discussed media bias and how we do NOT get the facts, we get their agenda.

Granted, we all know Fox News is decidedly conservative, but the news footage and comments by Bush, McCain and Barny Frank can't be ignored or played off as not happening.

My concern is less about who is in the White House and more along the lines that we cannot trust the media with our futures and how we formulate our opinions based on what they report or choose not to report.

If you comment, don't comment on who is in the White House, just know that if the media at large has an agenda, they will push it.

The current spin is that this is Bush's recession. What are your thoughts? Comment on the facts and footage, not your political position. This bothers me as I am concerned we are led around like cattle. This can easily apply to any important American issue. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMnSp4qEXNM&NR=1

FingerLakes1.com
#931415 --- 12/05/08 07:31 AM Re: media balance? [Re: Mountain Man]
Al Kida Offline

Those things never happen!!!

They all lies!!!

Is Bush fault!!!

If they did happen we would have seen on CNN or NBC!!!

#931421 --- 12/05/08 07:46 AM Re: media balance? [Re: Al Kida]
Mountain Man Offline

Al Kida, unfortunately, the masses are asses, and your comment reflects more reality than hyperbole

#931472 --- 12/05/08 09:25 AM Re: media balance? [Re: Mountain Man]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Finger Lakes National Forest, ...
So just who pushed loans to buy houses on crack dealers, gangbangers, jobless, homeless, alcoholics, career criminals etc ad nauseum?.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivmL-lXNy64

"AGRESSIVELY take a greater risk? Yes. Give morgatges who would not qualified otherwise? Yes."

"I am sure there will be a higher default rate on those mortages."

ACORN, Obama, Barney Frank .... all agressively pushed low or no ioncome mortages and resisted warnings of immient crises.

Way to go.

Now blame Bush.

We can fix that.

America is not THE problem.

Next time. Vote for the AMERICAN.

#931482 --- 12/05/08 09:42 AM Re: media balance? [Re: SkySoldier]
Mountain Man Offline

That's my point, SkySoldier. There was and is adequate evidence that what we are calling Bush's recession was indeed predicted by him and others, McCain being one, but that the media was more interested in portraying something different.

What it leaves is this: the American people cannot make informed choices unless they examine all sides on their own, not relying on a biased media.

We really need a place that can be trusted to share the real news and leave the editorializing to the talk shows and editorial pages of papers. We miss a lot of the real news.

#931485 --- 12/05/08 09:47 AM Re: media balance? [Re: Mountain Man]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Finger Lakes National Forest, ...
I studied Journalism in college.

Who what where when and why.

Those are ALL a journalist are supposed to put into a story. The NEWS of the event.

We don't have news anymore.

We have talking heads with agendas spinning things to the left ( mostly) or to the right ( on Fox).

We can fix that.

America is not THE problem.

Next time. Vote for the AMERICAN.

#931515 --- 12/05/08 11:18 AM Re: media balance? [Re: SkySoldier]
LaughinWillow Offline

Loc: State of Emergency
Anyone who thinks that this recession/economic collapse is the fault of one political party is a moron. Everyone is to blame - including the American public. Reaganites started deregulation and Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II all continued it, which contributed to the problem. Democrats pushed banks to give loans to people who weren't reliable, which contributed to the problem. Upper Middle-class Americans took loans for ridiculous houses they couldn't afford, which contributed to the problem. American corporations participated in a "race to the bottom," which means American workers can't compete and has resulted in lower actual wages than in 1950, which contributed to the problem. The US government has borrowed massive amounts of money from the Federal Reserve and China, which has devalued our currency and increased inflation, which contributed to the problem. And all along, the American people have put up with it, because they like their cheap plastic crap and their mindless entertainment. We've sold our right to participatory democracy for a handful of magic beans, and now we've found out our beans are actually little bits of rabbit poo.

The fact is, our economy is not the result of the "mortgage crisis." Our economy is crap for a wide variety of reasons, and if we don't address the REAL reasons for it, it's only going to get worse. The fact that the only "solution" lawmakers on BOTH SIDES seem to be able to come up with is handing trillions of dollars to bankers is evidence that this is not a "liberal" or "conservative" issue. News networks like FOX and MSNBC only serve to have people like those on these boards blaming each others' "party" for the mess.

Meanwhile, as we speak, the Bush regime is cutting even more protections for worker health, environmental regulations, and pardoning tax evaders on the way out. Measure how much you hear about that vs. the tired rhetoric you keep hearing from these "news" stations about "who's to blame" for the economy - then MAYBE you'll figure out that you're being screwed from both sides by a bunch of rich jerks who DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU. POLITICIANS DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU!!!! Don't be stupid, folks.

#931622 --- 12/05/08 02:16 PM Re: media balance? [Re: LaughinWillow]
Al Kida Offline

Originally Posted By: LaughinWillow
Reaganites started deregulation and Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II all continued it, which contributed to the problem.

I not knowing president can make law!!!

I thought congress made law!!!

Please tell us what bills passes by congress Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II vetoed to stop regulation???

#931683 --- 12/05/08 03:41 PM Re: media balance? [Re: LaughinWillow]
HarleyBobT Offline

Loc: Walloon Freedom Fighter
Anyone who thinks that this recession/economic collapse is the fault of one political party is a moron. Everyone is to blame - including the American public. Reaganites started deregulation and Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II all continued it, which contributed to the problem. Democrats pushed banks to give loans to people who weren't reliable, which contributed to the problem. Upper Middle-class Americans took loans for ridiculous houses they couldn't afford, which contributed to the problem. American corporations participated in a "race to the bottom," which means American workers can't compete and has resulted in lower actual wages than in 1950, which contributed to the problem. The US government has borrowed massive amounts of money from the Federal Reserve and China, which has devalued our currency and increased inflation, which contributed to the problem. And all along, the American people have put up with it, because they like their cheap plastic crap and their mindless entertainment. We've sold our right to participatory democracy for a handful of magic beans, and now we've found out our beans are actually little bits of rabbit poo.

The fact is, our economy is not the result of the "mortgage crisis." Our economy is crap for a wide variety of reasons, and if we don't address the REAL reasons for it, it's only going to get worse. The fact that the only "solution" lawmakers on BOTH SIDES seem to be able to come up with is handing trillions of dollars to bankers is evidence that this is not a "liberal" or "conservative" issue. News networks like FOX and MSNBC only serve to have people like those on these boards blaming each others' "party" for the mess.

Meanwhile, as we speak, the Bush regime is cutting even more protections for worker health, environmental regulations, and pardoning tax evaders on the way out. Measure how much you hear about that vs. the tired rhetoric you keep hearing from these "news" stations about "who's to blame" for the economy - then MAYBE you'll figure out that you're being screwed from both sides by a bunch of rich jerks who DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU. POLITICIANS DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU!!!! Don't be stupid, folks.

You mean to tell me Barry Hussein Obama doesn't care about me, he only cares about his own butt not mine . He's not going to put gas in my Caddy or make my house payment,Barry Hussein Obama lied to me. thank God you voted for the fool. Boy I'm glad I didn't vote for him. ahahahah

#931698 --- 12/05/08 03:59 PM Re: media balance? [Re: HarleyBobT]
LaughinWillow Offline

Loc: State of Emergency
Look, even before voting for Obama, I said that he might be full of crap - but it was worth giving him a try (especially considering the alternative), based on his record, which is one of taking lower-paying positions where he could help poor people, rather than a 6-figure salary at a law firm (and I'm sure he'd have his pick, as a magna cum laude grad of Harvard).

I've said repeatedly, I have serious concerns about Obama - especially because he voted for the bailout and seems to be pushing for more of the same. I have serious concerns about any politician. But perhaps I exaggerated in my last post, because I do think there are a small number of politicians who actually care about their constituents, or at least the Constitution - Kucinich and Ron Paul come to mind. I'm waiting to see what Obama does when he gets in office, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

My point is simply that there is no one political party or individual (or even several individuals) who are completely to blame for our dying economy. Like I said, we're all as much to blame as our "leaders." China wouldn't be dominating us now if we all weren't willing to ignore their human rights record because we'd rather pay $9.99 for a t-shirt than $20. And here we all sit, bitching at each other about this stuff, while our "government" funnels trillions of dollars of our hard-earned money to the wealthiest people in the society. But I guess, you want to keep bitching at me, go ahead. You think everything's so freaking funny? Keep laughing it up.

#931971 --- 12/05/08 07:42 PM Re: media balance? [Re: LaughinWillow]
Bing Bong Offline

Loc: the road to hell
Anyone who thinks that this recession/economic collapse is the fault of one political party is a moron. Everyone is to blame - including the American public.

Holy Geezus, Fartin' Willow! This makes twice in one day that I agree with you. Scary.

Quote:
... you're being screwed from both sides by a bunch of rich jerks who DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU. POLITICIANS DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU!!!!

Wha- THREE TIMES!!! IN ONE DAY!!

This cannot go on.

#931975 --- 12/05/08 07:44 PM Re: media balance? [Re: SkySoldier]
Bing Bong Offline

Loc: the road to hell
Originally Posted By: SkySoldier
I studied Journalism in college.

Who what where when and why.

Those are ALL a journalist are supposed to put into a story. The NEWS of the event.

We don't have news anymore.

We have talking heads with agendas spinning things to the left ( mostly) or to the right ( on Fox).

That's right. Journalism has become a dog'n'pony show -- with tits!

#932079 --- 12/06/08 02:47 AM Re: media balance? [Re: Bing Bong]
Eomer Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Temporarily Assigned
The disgrace here is we are all fools for drinking the Kool-Aid and voting the incompetence in office.

Not news to me.

Edited by Eomer (12/06/08 02:47 AM)

#932080 --- 12/06/08 02:48 AM Re: media balance? [Re: Eomer]
Eomer Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Temporarily Assigned
For the record, I agree with LW

Scary for me too BingBong

#932087 --- 12/06/08 04:40 AM Re: media balance? [Re: Eomer]
Mountain Man Offline

The point is we should all agree with Willow. I am not happy about our political process at all, and that is why I threw my vote away to a third party. I was hoping enough people did it so that it made the news. Of course, it did not.

I have said this many, many times on the boards. The root of these financial woes is based on a mix of things that came together in American.

First, sub-prime mortgages. Where do you think they came from? A desire to sell more homes? No, a desire to sell homes at all. The loosening of lending rules was made to accommodate the fact that more and more Americans simply have less than good credit ratings. We're underemployed and our personal credit status is that of overload. Without the slackening of solid rules for lending (all good rules by the way) homes sales would have been dead by the side of the road years ago.

The American people got greedy buying with all kinds of crazy deals, homes they shouldn't be in, and the lenders became predators creating all kings of deals unimaginable for people who shouldn't even qualify for a home.

Our means of production for everything (here and abroad) is so fast that with declining wages and a culture where buying stuff is the new religion, personal credit is the only way we can buy what's on the shelves in such vast quantities. So, once again, like Willow said, we are to blame. We the people bought stuff at an alarming rate on personal credit, slowly filling up individual credit buckets to overflowing.

We now have massive personal debt, the need to keep companies moving (like the auto industry), but the fact is I don't care what they build, we can't afford to buy enough of them anymore.

Our leaders of all persuasions have been complicit in the demise of the American worker. Our financial leaders gave too much credit, credit beyond individual means to repay, and people used more and more credit to pay off credit or buy themselves into oblivion.

We are screwed, and now the very agencies, leaders of industry and capital want the printing presses rolling to make fabricate money from thin air.

We ARE all to blame, but our leaders in govt and industry are to blame the most as they outsourced our jobs, reduced our wages and we still fell prey to the allure of things great and small rather than living lives of moderation and putting life and other people before extraneous pleasure and accumulation of debt and products.

That's how I see it. Obama is from the old school on making all this happen. He was part of it. I doubt he can dig us out.

OK, I'm off my soapbox (which was a thumbnail sketch of what we've done as a nation). I'm ready for a lashing from the non-believers!