FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#929537 --- 12/03/08 05:11 AM Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil
Mountain Man Offline

Loc: out there
He's flopped on a key issue for the middle class. He was for this at any price to help low and middle class families. His dreams are all noble, but they will not play out in practicality. The fun's about to start!

FingerLakes1.com
#929560 --- 12/03/08 05:27 AM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: Mountain Man]
Ranger Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: GOD's 1/2 acre
business as usual, tell the people what they want to hear, and then once you get elected, anything goes...............

doesn't mattter which party it is, they're both the same, now that the election is over, everybody is buddy-buddy again

#929578 --- 12/03/08 05:50 AM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: Ranger]
Mountain Man Offline

Ranger, I wonder why that cry wasn't heard long ago? Are we really this stupid?

#929669 --- 12/03/08 07:37 AM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: Mountain Man]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
CHICAGO/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President-elect Barack Obama is not planning to implement a windfall profit tax on oil companies because prices have dropped below $80 a barrel, an aide said on Tuesday.

"President-elect Obama announced the policy during the campaign because oil prices were above $80 per barrel," an aide on Obama's transition team said. "They are currently below that now and expected to stay below that."

Oil prices have fallen from a record $147 a barrel in July to under $50 this week.

Obama, who signaled early in his campaign for the White House that he would take an active approach to oil markets as president, had planned to use the revenue from a windfall profits tax to fund a tax rebate for low- and middle-income families struggling with high energy prices.

But the aide said Obama's presidential campaign had already taken the price drop into account six weeks ago. When Obama laid out his economic plan for the middle class in mid-October, revenue from a windfall profit tax was not included because of the price change, he said.

#929690 --- 12/03/08 08:22 AM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: Retired Soldier]
threeputt Offline

Loc: Waterloo
Nice spin. I'm disappointed, to say the least.

#929691 --- 12/03/08 08:26 AM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: threeputt]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

Obama has not said there will not be a windfall profits tax. He has said that now is not the time to implement it.

#929702 --- 12/03/08 08:42 AM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: Ranger]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Finger Lakes National Forest, ...
Originally Posted By: Ranger
business as usual, tell the people what they want to hear, and then once you get elected, anything goes...............

doesn't mattter which party it is, they're both the same, now that the election is over, everybody is buddy-buddy again

Exactly .... Ranger, MountainMan ... there is nothing a politician will not say, swear to ...or promise "We The People" in order to get themselves elected.

I see another one termer being sworn in on the 20th of January.

We can fix that.

America is not THE problem.

Next time. Vote for the AMERICAN.

#929714 --- 12/03/08 09:06 AM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: SkySoldier]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

You appear far more intelligent when you don't post anything.

#929715 --- 12/03/08 09:07 AM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: Retired Soldier]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

You appear.

That means 6 more months of winter.

Freaking rodent.

We can fix that.

#929723 --- 12/03/08 09:12 AM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: SkySoldier]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

I never left little ss. I notice you avoided the thread about Palin and Chambliss, and the attack on a disabled Vietnam combat veteran. You are a gutless wonder.

#929726 --- 12/03/08 09:14 AM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: Retired Soldier]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

LOLOLOLOL

Rock on rbser.

Keep collecting those zeros zero.

We can fix that.

#929729 --- 12/03/08 09:18 AM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: SkySoldier]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Ranger

Originally Posted By: SkySoldier
Exactly .... Ranger, MountainMan ... there is nothing a politician will not say, swear to ...or promise "We The People" in order to get themselves elected.

I see another one termer being sworn in on the 20th of January.

Still waiting for that next great politician.

;\)

We can fix that.

#929776 --- 12/03/08 10:46 AM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: SkySoldier]
Night prowler Offline

Loc: ny
Just the thought of a windfall tax makes me cringe in disbelief. How can anyone think that this could happen without the people being the ones that the cost would be passed onto? It would not be the oil people paying for it, they have to earn money too. It would only raise oil even more.

#929790 --- 12/03/08 11:10 AM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: Night prowler]
Mountain Man Offline

Exactly, night Prowler....anyone who bought in wasn't duped...they were stupid

#929818 --- 12/03/08 11:50 AM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: Night prowler]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Night prowler
Just the thought of a windfall tax makes me cringe in disbelief. How can anyone think that this could happen without the people being the ones that the cost would be passed onto? It would not be the oil people paying for it, they have to earn money too. It would only raise oil even more.

Gee, Palin did it in Alaska and they didn't have a problem there. Must be they passed it on to us in the lower 48?
Perhaps you need to take basic Economics and Accounting. Then maybe you'd understand.

#929834 --- 12/03/08 12:06 PM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: Retired Soldier]
Night prowler Offline

Oil is higher because of it. You actually think the oil execs are going to pay out of their own pockets? Where do you suppose they get money? Even this is simple enough for you to comprehend. No businessperson in their right mind would say, "Gee, we have to pay more taxes lets lower the price we charge" If they remain in business with out going under, they have no choice but to raise prices. You have to have an operating cash flow. A business can't wait for welfare to keep them going. Now if you want to Create a situation like Chavez has, then by all means, raise taxes on oil, then take government control of all your oil business and turn all your citizens into brain dead sheep, then your on the right path

Edited by Night prowler (12/03/08 12:09 PM)

#929864 --- 12/03/08 12:50 PM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: Night prowler]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

The oil windfall profits tax made huge sense when oil was above $100 a barrel, and the oil companies were reaping windfall profits that had nothing to do with the value added they were contributing in the refining and wholesale areas.
As I posted earlier, your 'goddess" thinks its a great idea for Alaska, and they have an oil windfall profits tax.

#929871 --- 12/03/08 01:03 PM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: Retired Soldier]
Night prowler Offline

OK, so you agree with Palin? What has Obama done that you agree with. I know he has a long list of accomplishments.

#929910 --- 12/03/08 02:05 PM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: Night prowler]
Mountain Man Offline

Obama's accomplishment, as far as I can tell, is that he can convince a crowd before him that what he's selling will cure them. A huckster, a snake oil salesman, a carny barker.

By the way, I don't and didn't support the republican platform, so don't start yelling that I love Palin and McCain. America was fooled by both parties this year, and the Democrats were REALLY fooled when McCain/Palin ran against them. It was a guaranteed loss for the GOP, and they are quite happy to not have the White House in 2009.

#929916 --- 12/03/08 02:32 PM Re: Obama backs off windfall profit tax for big oil [Re: Mountain Man]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

Well, I guess we will all have to wait. So far a super majority of Americans are pleased with his cabinet selections and proposals. We still have to endure another month and a half of bush, and then Obama will have his opportunity to show us.
I have not been this happy about an election since 1960. That is a long time. Sorry that you can't join the party, but I'll celebrate for both of us.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >