FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#924471 --- 11/25/08 08:10 AM Re: Marine Denied Medal of Honor after Covering Grenad [Re: Night prowler]
trump Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Night prowler
wait till you wake up.

The nation has woke up and elected for president the man that RF and PT suported.

FingerLakes1.com
#924473 --- 11/25/08 08:14 AM Re: Marine Denied Medal of Honor after Covering Gr [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY

The Medal of Honor, established by joint resolution of Congress, 12 July 1862 (amended by Act of 9 July 1918 and Act of 25 July 1963) is awarded in the name of Congress to a person who, while a member of the Armed Services, distinguishes himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in an action against any enemy of The United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which The United States is not a belligerent party. The deed performed must have been one of personal bravery or self-sacrifice so conspicuous as to clearly distinguish the individual above his comrades and must have involved risk of life. Incontestable proof of the performance of service is exacted and each recommendation for award of this decoration is considered on the standard of extraordinary merit. Full-text Listings of Medal of Honor Citations The President, in the name of Congress, has awarded more than 3,400 Medals of Honor to our nation's bravest Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen since the decoration's creation in 1861.

http://www.medalofhonor.com/

Here is the process:

The following organizations and individuals play key roles in the Army Medal of Honor recommendation process:

* CHAIN OF COMMAND
Submits award recommendation that meets the two year submission time limit to Department of the Army Personnel Command
* MEMBER OF CONGRESS
Submits award recommendation that is outside the two year limit for submission to Department of the Army Personnel Command or the Secretary of the Army who forwards request to Personnel Command.
* DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY PERSONNEL COMMAND
Army Decoration Board - Merit Review, can disprove based on criteria (Cdr, HRC can overrule)
Senior Army Decorations Board - Recommends approval, disapproval, or downgrade.
* MANPOWER AND RESERVE AFFAIRS
Concurs or nonconcurs with Board recommendation
* CHIEF OF STAFF OF THE ARMY
* SECRETARY OF THE ARMY
Recommends approval or can disapprove. Also forwards packet to Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff for comment.
* SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
Recommends approval or can disapprove.
* PRESIDENT
Approves or disapproves.

http://www.medalofhonor.com/RecommendationProcess.htm

Sounds to me like Peralta meets the criteria, and Bush could award him the MOH posthumously.

#924474 --- 11/25/08 08:15 AM Re: Marine Denied Medal of Honor after Covering Grenad [Re: trump]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: trump
wait till you wake up.

The nation has woke up and elected for president the man that RF and PT suported.

Is there really a need, by anyone, to make this thread a partisan issue? Really?

#924475 --- 11/25/08 08:20 AM Re: Marine Denied Medal of Honor after Covering Gr [Re: Night prowler]
Reinhart Faust Offline

Loc: This Island Earth
Originally Posted By: Reinhart Faust
Why do you care how I feel about Gore?

Why did you think this thread was an appropriate place to whine about Gore? You're the one who brought it up. Does his Nobel have any bearing on this soldier or his family?

I guess that means you don't think this soldier deserves the medal of honor?

I guess you're just a giant tool who likes to exploit the legitimate tragedies of fallen servicemen in pursuing your petty grievances.

I made the comparison because it makes no sense, not to be attacked by some snot nosed punk. This young man gave his life to save others, yet he is UNWORTHY of the medal of honor? That's crap and everyone knows it! Yet Gore gets a Nobel prize for lies! Yes Two different subjects, but one gets something he did not deserve and the other Has to die to not even get the honor he deserves. It's not my problem you took issue with it, it is mine that you attacked me.

If it sticks in your craw that bad, then start another thread for it. This is not the place for your petty political axe grinding.

#924477 --- 11/25/08 08:24 AM Re: Marine Denied Medal of Honor after Covering Grenad [Re: Strawberry Jam]
trump Offline

Originally Posted By: Strawberry Jam
wait till you wake up.

Is there really a need, by anyone, to make this thread a partisan issue? Really?

No there isn't. Night Prowler should of never started it.

#924512 --- 11/25/08 09:36 AM Re: Marine Denied Medal of Honor after Covering Grenad [Re: trump]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

wait till you wake up.

And others could have let it go as well.

Back on topic, I think it is a shame that his family has to fight for something that Peralta is clearly entitled to.

#924529 --- 11/25/08 10:02 AM Re: Marine Denied Medal of Honor after Covering Grenad [Re: Strawberry Jam]
trump Offline

wait till you wake up.

Back on topic, I think it is a shame that his family has to fight for something that Peralta is clearly entitled to.

I agree with you on Peralta.

#924553 --- 11/25/08 10:25 AM Re: Marine Denied Medal of Honor after Covering Grenad [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Ms Cracktholomew Offline

Loc: emailing FL1
wait till you wake up.

It's a shame this young man is being denied the honor he deserves.

It's also a shame that those two idiots, HarleyBT and Nightprowler had to ruin the thread with their mindless ramblings.

#924561 --- 11/25/08 10:35 AM Re: Marine Denied Medal of Honor after Covering Gr [Re: Bing Bong]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Originally Posted By: Bing Bong
I've learned that if I follow PT around she will usually lead me to some stunning examples of mental dwarfism.

I'm not disappointed this time.

I can't tell you how that devastates me.

We have about 5.5 hours of sunlight at the moment, losing about 7 minutes per day.

I didn't have a power outage, just better things to do.

#924562 --- 11/25/08 10:38 AM Re: Marine Denied Medal of Honor after Covering Grenad [Re: trump]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
wait till you wake up.

Don't get your boner working.

I voted for Obama, I didn't actively campaign for him or anything. And I got on board late - well after Palin joined the McCain ticket.

And trust me, my parents don't care what YOU think of their parenting either.

#924571 --- 11/25/08 10:55 AM Re: Marine Denied Medal of Honor after Covering Grenad [Re: past tense]
NYTwinsFan Offline

Loc: Valiente Corazones Fantasma
~

Edited by NYTwinsFan (11/25/08 11:11 AM)

#924581 --- 11/25/08 11:06 AM Re: Marine Denied Medal of Honor after Covering Gr [Re: ]
Bing Bong Offline

Loc: the road to hell
Originally Posted By: Festus!
Could Bush, as Commander-in-Chief, ORDER the Medal be awarded?

I think Congress has to do that.

#924583 --- 11/25/08 11:09 AM Re: Marine Denied Medal of Honor after Covering Gr [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

The Medal of Honor, established by joint resolution of Congress, 12 July 1862 (amended by Act of 9 July 1918 and Act of 25 July 1963) is awarded in the name of Congress to a person who, while a member of the Armed Services, distinguishes himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in an action against any enemy of The United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which The United States is not a belligerent party. The deed performed must have been one of personal bravery or self-sacrifice so conspicuous as to clearly distinguish the individual above his comrades and must have involved risk of life. Incontestable proof of the performance of service is exacted and each recommendation for award of this decoration is considered on the standard of extraordinary merit. Full-text Listings of Medal of Honor Citations The President, in the name of Congress, has awarded more than 3,400 Medals of Honor to our nation's bravest Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen since the decoration's creation in 1861.

http://www.medalofhonor.com/

Here is the process:

The following organizations and individuals play key roles in the Army Medal of Honor recommendation process:

* CHAIN OF COMMAND
Submits award recommendation that meets the two year submission time limit to Department of the Army Personnel Command
* MEMBER OF CONGRESS
Submits award recommendation that is outside the two year limit for submission to Department of the Army Personnel Command or the Secretary of the Army who forwards request to Personnel Command.
* DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY PERSONNEL COMMAND
Army Decoration Board - Merit Review, can disprove based on criteria (Cdr, HRC can overrule)
Senior Army Decorations Board - Recommends approval, disapproval, or downgrade.
* MANPOWER AND RESERVE AFFAIRS
* CHIEF OF STAFF OF THE ARMY
* SECRETARY OF THE ARMY
Recommends approval or can disapprove. Also forwards packet to Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff for comment.
* SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
Recommends approval or can disapprove.
* PRESIDENT
Approves or disapproves.

http://www.medalofhonor.com/RecommendationProcess.htm

Sounds to me like Peralta meets the criteria, and Bush could award him the MOH posthumously.

#924827 --- 11/25/08 02:47 PM Re: Marine Denied Medal of Honor after Covering Grenad [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Cleopatra Offline

Loc: Egypt
wait till you wake up.

This is a shame! Thanks for the posting.

#926169 --- 11/26/08 09:14 PM Re: Marine Denied Medal of Honor after Covering Grenad [Re: Cleopatra]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Finger Lakes National Forest, ...
A young man, a grenadier with the 173d Airborne Infantry named Barnes, smothered the blast of a hand grendade with his body in Dak To during the "Battle of the Slopes" in 1967.

A Col first refused to consider him for ANY medal let alone the CMH.

The COl's words in denying submitting Barnes for the Medal of Honor were ...

And I quote ...

"We don't give medals for suicide."

The uproar among the troops of the Sky Soldiers, caused by that comment, cannot be understated.

Barnes was awarded the Medal Of Honor after that unit stood up to a man and officer rock solid behind Barnes.

http://www.mishalov.com/Barnes.html

The Medal was, of course, awarded posthumously.

We can fix that.

America is not THE problem.

Next time. Vote for the AMERICAN.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4