FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#922043 --- 11/20/08 02:25 PM Patterson and spending cuts
Night prowler Offline

Loc: ny
http://www.wcbs880.com/NY-Governor-s-Mansion-Gets--21-000-Rug/3355679

New York Governor's Mansion Gets $21,000 Antique Rug

ALBANY, NY (AP) -- Times are tough, but evidently not so tough New York couldn't spend $21,000 on an antique Turkish rug for the governor's mansion.

That purchase came as Gov. David Paterson was ordering state agencies to cut spending and warning of dire economic hardships to come as budget deficits mount to $2 billion this year alone.

The Times Union of Albany reports Thursday that Office of General Services records show the 10-foot-by-15-foot custom-stitched rug was shipped July 31. An OGS spokesman said the purchase was part of routine maintenance.

Critics say government should cut waste before asking citizens to sacrifice.

Elsewhere, the Texas House of Representatives recently ordered about $140,000 in items for its lounge, including antique chandeliers and big screen televisions.

FingerLakes1.com
#922048 --- 11/20/08 02:30 PM Re: Patterson and spending cuts [Re: Night prowler]
HarleyBobT Offline

Loc: Walloon Freedom Fighter
Originally Posted By: Night prowler
http://www.wcbs880.com/NY-Governor-s-Mansion-Gets--21-000-Rug/3355679

New York Governor's Mansion Gets $21,000 Antique Rug

ALBANY, NY (AP) -- Times are tough, but evidently not so tough New York couldn't spend $21,000 on an antique Turkish rug for the governor's mansion.

That purchase came as Gov. David Paterson was ordering state agencies to cut spending and warning of dire economic hardships to come as budget deficits mount to $2 billion this year alone.

The Times Union of Albany reports Thursday that Office of General Services records show the 10-foot-by-15-foot custom-stitched rug was shipped July 31. An OGS spokesman said the purchase was part of routine maintenance.

Critics say government should cut waste before asking citizens to sacrifice.

Elsewhere, the Texas House of Representatives recently ordered about $140,000 in items for its lounge, including antique chandeliers and big screen televisions.

It was just routine maintenance. ahahaha How can I get in on that gig.

#922130 --- 11/20/08 05:33 PM Re: Patterson and spending cuts [Re: HarleyBobT]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Loc: between here and there
I wouldn't know what a 21 thousand dollar rug looks like. Do they walk on it?
I think he should send it back.

#922196 --- 11/20/08 06:55 PM Re: Patterson and spending cuts [Re: reilley]
HarleyBobT Offline

Loc: Walloon Freedom Fighter
Originally Posted By: reilley
I wouldn't know what a 21 thousand dollar rug looks like. Do they walk on it?
I think he should send it back.

If I had a $21000.00 rug and somebody walked on it I'd be more that pi$$ed off.

#922485 --- 11/21/08 08:43 AM Re: Patterson and spending cuts [Re: HarleyBobT]
Senecamom Offline

Loc: On a journey......
They could hang it on the wall, covering windows and turn off the heat.

#922540 --- 11/21/08 11:09 AM Re: Patterson and spending cuts [Re: Senecamom]
wildman69 Offline

Loc: Cheney's Basement
I love how they threw in Texas. Unless they are also 2 billion in debt that has no bearing on the article.

#922582 --- 11/21/08 12:08 PM Re: Patterson and spending cuts [Re: wildman69]
Night prowler Offline

Loc: ny
That's how liberals feel good about themselves.

#922938 --- 11/22/08 08:01 AM Re: Patterson and spending cuts [Re: Night prowler]
Rascal Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brewerton, NY, USA
Gov. Paterson yesterday raised the specter of hiking the state's already sky-high gasoline tax as an option for closing looming budget deficits.

Appearing on Syracuse radio station WSYR, Paterson was asked if a gas-tax hike might be in the cards.

"That's something that might be considered," said the governor, claiming that when local gasoline sales taxes were cut in the past, the savings weren't passed on to motorists.

New York imposes a tax of more than 32 cents a gallon on gasoline, and city and county levies bring the total tax to over 40 cents a gallon, more than double the federal tax. It's one of the highest state and local gasoline tax rates in the nation.

Paterson mentioned the gasoline tax less than 24 hours before he was scheduled to provide a detailed plan for cutting the state's current budget by some $2 billion.

The governor has warned that the current budget is running a deficit of at least $1.5 billion while noting that the projected deficit for the budget beginning next April 1 is a massive $12.5 billion.

http://jammiewearingfool.blogspot.com/2008/11/as-prices-plummet-ny-governor-floats.html

#922944 --- 11/22/08 08:19 AM Re: Patterson and spending cuts [Re: Night prowler]
Teacher73 Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY, Seneca
Maybe they could have found something nice on e-bay. Bureaucratic inertia and the preservation of the Governor's Mansion which is essentially more of a museum and historic preservation site than an actual home is at the center of why there were those who had no problem spending that kind of cash on a rug. In the name of having a suitably appropriate edifice for the Governor to entertain and live those who can afford and happen to "like nice things" lose site of the fact that there are one helluva lot of folks who don't have the luxury of choosing between expensive baubles to decorate with.
There should be a middle ground somewhere but of course now in our current economic situation any and every expense is under scrutiny and rightly so. Politicians all have learned that they can set themselves up and quickly lose a sense of perspective. Having spent a lifetime in the bureaucracy I know that if you have money in the budget, like in this example for decorations of the Gov's Mansion, and it doesn't get spent, the thinking is to find something to buy so that your budget will not be cut. If you don't spend it you lose it in next years budget so to keep that cash coming you do what you need to do to stay on the teat. Such institutional, entrenched, and accepted practices abound in all levels of government. It would be a great place for the Gov. to focus on for cuts but it involves looking at virtually every aspect and listening to each Dept. head justify their funding projections. A daunting task but also very necessary.
Somewhere the pols lose who they are working for and get blinded by the potential of having it all look great. Great for who, them or us?

#923435 --- 11/23/08 08:22 AM Re: Patterson and spending cuts [Re: Teacher73]
threeputt Offline

Loc: Waterloo
bingo.