Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#921085 --- 11/18/08 11:43 PM Truckers Convoy Nov 28
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Loc: between here and there
Truckers plan to give Skaneateles a Dickens of a time
by Matt Michael / The Post-Standard Monday November 17, 2008, 9:40 PM
SKANEATELES, NY -- Even Scrooge couldn't have thought this one up.On Nov. 28 -- the day after Thanksgiving and opening day for Dickens Christmas celebration in Skaneateles -- the village of Skaneateles could turn into a parking lot for about 400 trucks and tractor-trailers.Truckers and Citizens United, a national group that represents 15,000 drivers and trucking employees, is planning a convoy and rally that will start at Exit 41 on the New York State Thruway and end in downtown Skaneateles.Charlie Claburn, the organization's Northeast regional director, said the convoy will protest Gov. David Paterson's push to restrict truck traffic on certain rural state roads."When did we start living in a country where they have to tell us which way to go to get somewhere?" Claburn said.Claburn said the trucks will leave Exit 41 about 10 a.m. and rumble from routes 414 to 318 to 20 in Auburn and then Skaneateles.At noon on the same day, the annual Dickens Christmas will kick off at the Sherwood Inn, on Genesee Street (Route 20), with a proclamation by an actor playing Charles Dickens, the author of "A Christmas Carol." Dickens Christmas features Dickens characters performing interactive street theater in the village.The day after Thanksgiving is traditionally the biggest day of the year for the shops along Genesee Street, said Sue Dove, executive director of the Skaneateles Chamber of Commerce."(The trucks) will just detract from the whole ambience of stepping back in time to a gentler, more peaceful way of life," Dove said. "If they do come, we will go forward and we hope things will be in place to make it safe for everyone."In September, Truckers and Citizens United planned to send more than 200 trucks to Washington, D.C., to protest high gas prices. About 20 truckers showed, and organizers blamed the low turnout on the high fuel prices.Claburn said he expects 400 mostly New York truck drivers to attend the protest Nov. 28.In May, Paterson visited Skaneateles to announce that the state Department of Transportation would implement policies to prevent big rigs from taking shortcuts through towns and villages.When residents yelled that they had been waiting decades for such a solution, Paterson said, "You've been waiting 20 years? Well, there's a new sheriff in town."Under the latest plan that DOT officials unveiled earlier this month, trucks could travel on seven roads -- including routes 41, 41A, 90 and 38 in Onondaga, Cayuga and Cortland counties -- only if the roads provide the sole route for the trucks to perform their pickups or deliveries. In all other cases, trucks would be required to use major highways, such as Interstate 81 or the Thruway.Charles Carrier, speaking for the state DOT, said the plan is the result of months of dialogue with the trucking industry, municipal and business leaders and residents who attended a public hearing in Syracuse in September. By the end of this month, Carrier said, the proposal will be forwarded to the Governor's Office of Regulatory Reform, which helps state agencies write rules and regulations.Then there's a 45-day public comment period. If there is not strong opposition to the plan, it could become law early next year, Carrier said.Citizens and Truckers United scheduled the protest to bring attention to the plan and to ask residents to oppose it.Claburn said there are more than 500,000 trucking jobs in the state, and most of the truckers are with small fleets. He said it will cost these workers millions of dollars in fuel, tolls and operating costs to avoid rural roads.Claburn said the trucking group is protesting in Skaneateles because village officials and residents have been vocal about keeping trucks off the local roads. He acknowledges the trucks will "really tie things up" in Skaneateles, but he said he's asking residents to be patient and consider the truckers' side.Claburn said he'd like to meet Nov. 28 with Skaneateles Mayor Robert Green to talk about a compromise that would keep trucks on rural roads, but away from schools and downtowns.The mayor said he doesn't know how the protest will change residents' minds."It could have the reverse effect for what they're trying to accomplish," Green said.Skaneateles Police Chief Lloyd Perkins said he has heard the rumors about the convoy, and he has had conversations with the state police about it. He said his main concern is that emergency vehicles be able to get in and out of the village.Perkins said the police won't try to stop the convoy as long as it's peaceful.

FingerLakes1.com
#921155 --- 11/19/08 05:14 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: reilley]
Mountain Man Offline

Loc: out there
Idiots

#921227 --- 11/19/08 07:28 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Mountain Man]
justaxme Offline

Loc: On top?
Sounds like a good way to get the public on your side!!!

#921357 --- 11/19/08 11:56 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: justaxme]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
As much as I find Skaneateles annoying disrupting a holiday gathering and potentially putting people in harms way is asinine...

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#921496 --- 11/19/08 04:31 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Livelihoods being disrupted how?

#921752 --- 11/20/08 04:38 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Then maybe they should get into another line of work.

#921764 --- 11/20/08 05:07 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ]
SFisWonderful Offline

Loc: NEW YORK
Originally Posted By: jakki
If these routes are going to be prohibited for the trucks to utilize...then they will have to go many miles out of their way to reach destinations...losing time allowed for the trip (logs), extra fuel expense, losing time to be home, not to mention if they are forced to use the NYS thruway...the tolls on there for semi trucks is outrageous...they already pay dear for FHUT and NYSHUT to travel the highways...and tax at the pump too.
Ex. If they have to go one hour out of their way to their destination...and lose another hour on their return trip...they have wasted 2 hours of their 10 hour allowed log time for the said day. Not to mention...did you know they only get between 4 and 7 miles per gallon ... did you know fuel oil is much more expensive than gasoline? Did you know the tires on these trucks are from $450 to $700+ per tire? 40.00 per tire tobe balanced and mounted.
They cannot afford to be forced off these highways. The Rts. 89 and 96 affect our business more than the Skane. So yes, these retrictions will be costly to the trucks (more so to the owner-operators)...<hence> disrupting and gouging into their already pinched livelihoods.

Yea. . definitely sounds expensive. I think the trash haulers have ruined it for every other driver that has respect for the small communities. I see trucks rollin' into the Village of SF as though they didnt even see the 30 mph sign.

I dont have the numbers. . .but I cant even imagine how many more trucks have been cutting through small villages all over NY since Seneca Meadows has increased its volume.

BLAME THE DUMP JACKI. . .not the people that dislike the smell of trash.

#921773 --- 11/20/08 05:21 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SFisWonderful]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

I dont like how fast they drive through my village. The trucks actually shake my windows. I for one hope they pass the law but to protest through a small village that supports a ban is not going to endear themselves very much or drum up much support.

#921934 --- 11/20/08 11:28 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ]
ForTheParty Offline

Loc: Seneca County
I have worked in every aspect of this industry. I don't agree w/the plan of disturbance that these O/O's and companies are planning. However, how "endearing" is it for a community to say they are too nice of a town for trucks? Even though there is NOTHING any of these residences touch during a day that wasn't braught to them by truck.
I've said it before...pay closer attention to the types of haulers rampaging through your town. I'll guarantee it's more of one type.
Here's a real idea: Speed traps! Commercial tickets/fines are higher. More revenue for the jurisdictions giving them out. I keep hearing and seeing complaints about garbage flying from these trucks. Add some littering fines. Maybe DOT needs to set-up camp a little more often in these areas. Implament a Jake Brake forbiddance.
Even though fuel is lowering, most places besides NY, freight prices are lowering EXTREMELY. Add the toll hikes. Come on!

#921981 --- 11/20/08 12:54 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: jakki
Originally Posted By: Gio
Then maybe they should get into another line of work.

Well, if the majority decided to do that...what do you think would happen?

The trains would start hauling the freight like they use to and prices would go down as transportation costs would not be as much.

Edited by Gio (11/20/08 12:55 PM)

#922065 --- 11/20/08 02:59 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Fingerlakes Railway is doing it now. They are saving towns and businesses thousands of dollars on transportation costs. Only a matter of time before it becomes the norm again.

#922086 --- 11/20/08 03:41 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Gio]
ForTheParty Offline

Yes, and I work for a trucking company that contracts w/companies to pick their stuff up at rail yards and redistribite it...often back along the same route again. Only after they have paid reloading costs and additional handling and freight charges.
How are towns saving so much money in re: to train use?

#922109 --- 11/20/08 04:41 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ForTheParty]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: ForTheParty
Yes, and I work for a trucking company that contracts w/companies to pick their stuff up at rail yards and redistribite it...often back along the same route again. Only after they have paid reloading costs and additional handling and freight charges.
How are towns saving so much money in re: to train use?

Contact Fingerlakes Railway.

#922110 --- 11/20/08 04:43 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Gio]
ForTheParty Offline

You spoke w/no actual statistics?

#922119 --- 11/20/08 05:08 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Seneca Falls,NY,
I salute the truckers for what they bring. If not for them being able to travel these roads, of course, the goods you are paying for will need to have a cost increase.

#922240 --- 11/20/08 07:53 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: sassyone]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Well good for all of you. Now that we have gotten off track it still is asinine to protest through a small vilage by clogging up the narrow roadways with big trucks when that is one of the major complaints to begin with...

#922289 --- 11/20/08 09:37 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ForTheParty]
sickofbigrigs Offline

Loc: ny
Is everyone just so in need of crap that we have to have trucks everywhere day and night. what ever happened to using what we have til it breaks? I have this computer which is one year old, but also watch a 23 year old tv and drive an 11 year old car, don't own a cell phone and by the way most of the furniture in my house is used or hand me downs. Do we need all these trucks if we don't buy as much crap? Peace and quiet is more important than a big screen tv. Instead of shopping and buying stuff, look out at nature or go help your neighbor.

#922322 --- 11/20/08 11:24 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ]
sickofbigrigs Offline

No I don't take meds No I don't eat meat. If I buy vegtables or fruit I do so from a local farmer. I go to the store once a week. I don't have a father in the trucking business. My dad didn't live to be old. I don't find the smell of diesel fuel comforting and would rather hear the birds singing than a truck pulling in my driveway. Call me crazy but peace and quiet are important to me. If I wanted to hear trucks I move to a big city.I certainly wouldn't live in a rural town. You'd think people were asking for to want quiet. Trucks are like a disease. They keep coming in bigger sizes and more of them every year.

#922448 --- 11/21/08 07:18 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: sickofbigrigs]
ForTheParty Offline

Sickofbigrigs, I do understand your plea, and that of Gio's. However, there is no end to the future of truck use in the transportation industry. And both trucks and trains are a noise problem, depending on where you are standing. So are cars w/blaring stereos and bad exhausts going by my home. You just have too let things go. And your not going to get fresh fruits and veggies from the farmer in January.
Buyer beware! Freight costs on trucks has gone up 5% in the last year. Mainly due to fuel increases. Train freight rates has gone up 12%. The shipper charges the receiver. The receiver charges...you.

#922450 --- 11/21/08 07:25 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ForTheParty]
mutantmaster Offline

Maybe they can build pipelines to all of the gas stations so that the trucks would not have to go there, or run some railroad tracks to every local store that you visit? I would love to see the trucking industry boycott that snooty little town. Then the people would have something to bitch about while they wait for the next boat to pull up to shore with goods to spend their money on. It's always something.

#922454 --- 11/21/08 07:35 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: mutantmaster]
ForTheParty Offline

Maybe a real boycott would be trucker's refusal to deliver to ALL warehouses/distributors of any and all goods going to any business in the village of Skaneatles, or that sells goods to people residing there.
Let's not forget kids, USPS, UPS, FED Ex, DHL all use tractor trailers. This time of year USPS even contracts with other trucking companies and O/O's to help w/extra shipments/mail. Let them boycott also.

#922654 --- 11/21/08 03:16 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ForTheParty]
nomi Offline

Loc: new york usa
When these garbage truckers pass my house they do not appear to be driving the speed limit. They stop at a local parking area in and clean the remaining garbage out of their trucks and leave it in the parking area. Why don't they clean their trucks out at the landfill?

At least two of the trucks have caught on fire in my area and one tipped over in my neighberhood dumpinh his load all over the peoples yard.

If you think these garbage haulers are so great park in Geneva near the 5& 20 / pre-emption rd. intersection , count how many truckers are going so fast in the speed zone , that they can not slow down and run the red light.

Many communitys hace restrictions on trucks , weight restrictions on roads and only allow trucks to use their roads that are delivering locally!

I personnally agree with the people of Skaneatles and support what they are doing. I have lost a lot of respect for the truckers whom are planning this protest. That they have threatened and plan on holding a community hostage is horrible!!

I will shop in Skaneatles after or before the truckers protest there!!!

Edited by nomi (11/21/08 03:18 PM)

#922691 --- 11/21/08 04:57 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: nomi]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

I used to go to Skinny Atlas, but I won't bother any longer. Your right, they really are snooty.

#922816 --- 11/21/08 09:03 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Gio]
the congressman Offline

Loc: uas
yeah the rail roads will save ya bunch then see you people in that little town would still whine because now see they would have to put train tracks into town, because you don't want trucks hmm seems like a real smart idea listen bottom line rail isn't bringing it to walmart if your going to make comments like that know what your talking about

#923339 --- 11/22/08 09:59 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: the congressman]
Rich_Tallcot Offline

Loc: Greeneville, TN
The purpose of a protest is primarily media attention to gain support for a goal.

The goal in this case is to get the state to release restrictions and open routes up to truckers.

As evidenced on this thread, people that have their mind made up in support of or opposed to restrictions are not likely to change their opinion.

Many of the complaints regarding truckers is they're speeding, not tarpped, littering and breaking the laws anyway. Garbage stinks, I have no answer.

I agree with Gio in that the trucks rolling through our villages seldom do the speed limit. They didn't do that when Barney Fife and Louie Lee were in Cayuga. Everybody knew enough to slow down or pay the price.

People that live outside of the truck routes may not know there are restrictions or what the issues are.

Skaneateles has been most vocal for many years AND a prime reason for the change. The truckers really don't have to be concerned about making those in Skaneateles mad.

Slowing down shoppers on Black Friday in Skaneateles is the only way to way to even get their attention to wonder what's happening and why. Because, people don't wake up until an issue affects them directly. If they get mad and complain to the Governor or their politicians, it doesn't matter what they say. Then the heat is back on the politicians to deal with it. That's the purpose.

It's also the ideal setup for media coverage, which always covers Skaneateles on Black Friday anyway.

Compound that with a rally and the purpose becomes maximized. The problem with doing something big is, if something goes wrong, it can easily have the opposite effect. The problem with not doing anything is, they already lost if they don't.

Granted, the reroutes cost big bucks. They add more miles and take more time. That's where I get confused because that's what I thought truckers get paid for. They should be making more money. But I don't know why the added costs can't be passed on. The truckers shouldn't have to pay the difference.

#923382 --- 11/23/08 04:52 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: the congressman]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: the congressman
yeah the rail roads will save ya bunch then see you people in that little town would still whine because now see they would have to put train tracks into town, because you don't want trucks hmm seems like a real smart idea listen bottom line rail isn't bringing it to walmart if your going to make comments like that know what your talking about

Try reading and understanding what I wrote not what you want it to say. The question was asked what would we do with no trucking and I threw out rail service.

#923498 --- 11/23/08 12:13 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Gio]
SilverSurfer Offline

Loc: Texas
The ignorance of the few in Skaneateles is amazing. You talk of shopping, but ignore the fact that shopping would not be possible without trucks. You think trains are going to be your solution, but have probably never lived in a town where tracks must come directly through to deliver your supplies...along with the fact that your little town will have to foot the bill to build those tracks. And if the train industry deems it cost effective to run through your town...you'll be experiencing a lot more train traffic than you want to bargain with. You speak of speeding trucks, but neglect to talk about your police not doing their job to prevent this. You speak about littering, and yet once again you neglect to talk about your police not doing their job to stop this.

In a time of our nation's need to conserve our energy supply and cut greenhouse gases, you want to create a scenario which requires vehicles to use more fuel and create even more greenhouse gases...at the cost of American truckers. Where is the common sense in your position. To cause the use of additional fuel, more greenhouse gases and the burdon of millions of dollars of additional costs to businesses because your piece and quite is disrupted is what's asinine. There may come a day soon when you'll be crying for those trucks to bring you your supplies when they decide all together to stop going to your little town.

And what about the farmers being harrassed as well. Your little town is being run by the few and is effecting the whole. Have the few truely considered the fact that state routes were built with road tax dollars? And the majority of those dollars came from trucking businesses. You are now advocating the banning of vehicles which pay for the maintenance of those roads. You are advocating the diversion of vehicles which are being forced onto the thruway, costing trucking businesses millions in additional fuel and tolls. You are advocating millions of dollars of additional costs to your local farmers. Something's seriously wrong here. Instead of banning trucks, resulting in more greenhouse gases and the use of millions of gallons of fuel...how about y'all work on fixing the problems which you complain about. Maybe talking with the trucking companies about their driver's littering, or speeding. How about requiring your police to do their job. Maybe even consider a route around your little town which would only result in a few additional miles, instead of hundreds of additional miles.

The convoy coming on black friday is the trucker's way of speaking out about a wrong being done. To bring this wrong front and center of everyone's attention...not just the few that have pull with the local and state government.

People...you are flirting with a very precarious situation. In our current economic circumstance, you may find yourselves without any deliveries of supplies. Companies may decide to avoid your city altogether because of your direct cause of additional costs to them...and you will be forced to travel further to get those supplies.

Here's one more thing I will point out. Was not this state route a truck route when you decided to settle into your home? Are the surrounding cities, the trucking industry and the local farmers suppose to be dramatically effected because you few have decided you don't want the trucks coming by anymore? The additional costs will be passed onto the consumer eventually. Not just your little town, but the surrounding towns as well. This is one of the most selfish situations I've ever heard of.

Safe Trails and God Bless,
Frederick (SilverSurfer) Schaffner

#923501 --- 11/23/08 12:22 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Rich_Tallcot]
SilverSurfer Offline

Originally Posted By: Rich_Tallcot
The purpose of a protest is primarily media attention to gain support for a goal.

The goal in this case is to get the state to release restrictions and open routes up to truckers.

As evidenced on this thread, people that have their mind made up in support of or opposed to restrictions are not likely to change their opinion.

Many of the complaints regarding truckers is they're speeding, not tarpped, littering and breaking the laws anyway. Garbage stinks, I have no answer.

I agree with Gio in that the trucks rolling through our villages seldom do the speed limit. They didn't do that when Barney Fife and Louie Lee were in Cayuga. Everybody knew enough to slow down or pay the price.

People that live outside of the truck routes may not know there are restrictions or what the issues are.

Skaneateles has been most vocal for many years AND a prime reason for the change. The truckers really don't have to be concerned about making those in Skaneateles mad.

Slowing down shoppers on Black Friday in Skaneateles is the only way to way to even get their attention to wonder what's happening and why. Because, people don't wake up until an issue affects them directly. If they get mad and complain to the Governor or their politicians, it doesn't matter what they say. Then the heat is back on the politicians to deal with it. That's the purpose.

It's also the ideal setup for media coverage, which always covers Skaneateles on Black Friday anyway.

Compound that with a rally and the purpose becomes maximized. The problem with doing something big is, if something goes wrong, it can easily have the opposite effect. The problem with not doing anything is, they already lost if they don't.

Granted, the reroutes cost big bucks. They add more miles and take more time. That's where I get confused because that's what I thought truckers get paid for. They should be making more money. But I don't know why the added costs can't be passed on. The truckers shouldn't have to pay the difference.

Trucker's are not paid on odometer miles. They are paid on either pratical miles or city limit to city limit miles. Trucker's paid by the mile are not compensated for the additional miles being re-routed...they are paid on the calculated miles from point A to point B. Which in this situation runs through this little city...not around it.

I hope this clears up your confusion about mileage pay. And the added costs will eventually be passed on, but the companies will benefit from those increases...not the truckers. Unless the TRUCC bill is passed through Congress - Carriers and brokers will continue to retain revenue due the truckers.

#923685 --- 11/23/08 08:50 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SilverSurfer]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

I don't blame people for getting upset about the garbage BUT trucks that deliver should not be stopped unless they are breaking the laws. If my husband was speeding anywhere and got caught, I would expect him to pay the ticket. The garbage haulers trucks and trailers have so many things wrong with them plus they don't cover them ,then they should be stopped and red flagged.This guy from NYC ,who thinks he is Tony Saprano ,says everyone is picking on the garbage haulers and they have given all truckers a bad rap. When you buy in a town or village you know that trucks go through and you need to make the decision to move there or not. Red Star Expesss was going through Skaneateles 50 years ago and the speed limit was 65 then. I know , they rumbled past our house hundred times day and nite. But we had no garbage trucks,milk trucks ,cabbage trucks and red star (we called them cannon ball express)
My husband gets paid practial miles and if they is a detour,he doesn't get paid fot it ,he works 70 hrs a week when he is running,hrs and miles make the money,when he has to go the long way , it waste fuel,time and money.
He never has to go through Skaneateles, but he does go through Seneca Falls,Auburn,and towns and villages in between,he has said when he goes through some of these towns ,he goes the speed limit or just under when traffic is heavy and cars go around him like he is standing still.

#923738 --- 11/24/08 03:57 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: reilley]
sparky's back Offline

Loc: At Home..in the kitchen!!
I heard something last week reilley on the radio when I took Patti to school that the snooty folks of Skaneatetes were complaining about the big bucks they spent to live there.. and now they have all this noise traffic from garbage trucks...what would they do with their trash if it wasn't picked up?..lol

#923832 --- 11/24/08 07:15 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Rich_Tallcot]
ForTheParty Offline

They don't usually make money because of ADDED miles. Brokers base the route on a predesignated program, usually PC MIler. Extra problems/mileage due to other issues, not their problem or expense. Just the truck's.

Edited by ForTheParty (11/24/08 07:15 AM)

#923978 --- 11/24/08 10:45 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ForTheParty]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Oh I know Sparkey , isn't that the way? But maybe their garbage doesn't stink.

#924129 --- 11/24/08 05:13 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: reilley]
SFisWonderful Offline

Originally Posted By: reilley

Are you serious?? Put your disagreements with Skaneateles aside for on second! Maybe if Seneca Meadows didnt increase their intake in trash-maybe the surrounding communities would be much happier!

I would love to do a survey in Skaneateles to see if the majority of the residents want ALL trucks banned or just some. I am pretty sure the garbage trucks make up a good portion of the problem.

Like I said before, Seneca County needs to charge a $100 dollar dumping fee for Non Seneca County trash. Maybe more, maybe $100 dollars is getting off way to cheap! NYC has the money, if they don't, well they can sit in their trash and like, along with every other town that think their trash magically just dissappears.

#924252 --- 11/24/08 07:49 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SFisWonderful]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: SFisWonderful
Originally Posted By: reilley

Are you serious?? Put your disagreements with Skaneateles aside for on second! Maybe if Seneca Meadows didnt increase their intake in trash-maybe the surrounding communities would be much happier!

I would love to do a survey in Skaneateles to see if the majority of the residents want ALL trucks banned or just some. I am pretty sure the garbage trucks make up a good portion of the problem.

Like I said before, Seneca County needs to charge a $100 dollar dumping fee for Non Seneca County trash. Maybe more, maybe $100 dollars is getting off way to cheap! NYC has the money, if they don't, well they can sit in their trash and like, along with every other town that think their trash magically just dissappears.

Yes I am serious !
Why aren't communities pushing for a garbage fee? instead of asking me if I am serious, ask the board members and your reps to do something like a good size fee.
There are other places they could dump the trash ... it doesn't have to be Seneca Meadows,but they have made it easy for the haulers to come and dump

#926693 --- 11/28/08 09:44 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Gio]
Cayuga Lake Man Offline

Loc: Cayuga Lake

#926751 --- 11/28/08 12:18 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Cayuga Lake Man]
watchdog1 Offline

Does anyone know that EVERY truck over 18000# that travels in New York pays a special tax called Highway Use Tax or HUT, it is unique to New York. The average Tractor-Trailer annually pays $6000.00+ in road use taxes. The state says it goes towards road repair? In addition most all of the evil garbage trucks have a non-divisable permit and that is another $1500+ a year. This is all in addition to the trucks regular NYS registration which can run over $1000+ a year.

So will the state and the Governor be lowering the road use taxes that they so happly take from the trucking industry because they are now limiting what roads they can travel on????

#927008 --- 11/28/08 07:19 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: watchdog1]
woodsman Offline

Loc: Ovid/Ithaca
these idiots caused traffic from route 89 in seneca county to the middle of auburn to come to a stand-still. this demonstration only hurt their cause by pissing people off- if they were trying to make a point that they should be allowed to drive wherever they want, they made a convincing argument of the exact opposite. i've never had any ill-will toward any trucker before today. i felt like flipping each and every one of them the bird for being selfish.

#927036 --- 11/28/08 08:18 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: woodsman]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

You should try living where I do and have them flying through a 30MPH zone at 55MPH.

#927081 --- 11/28/08 10:33 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Gio]
SilverSurfer Offline

Originally Posted By: Gio
You should try living where I do and have them flying through a 30MPH zone at 55MPH.

Are we to presume the police won't work your street. I do believe you can go to the police commander and speak out about this issue you seem to have with hundreds of truckers speeding by your house. I believe you're exasterbating the speeding issue. There are many avenues you can pursue without financially crippling the many.

Also, and I was listening to your police's frequency today...there was no incidents or problems with the hundreds of trucks coming into Skaneateles to protest your state government's extortion tactics. Hell, from the reports the majority of the citizens lining the streets were cheering and waving signs. It must be very lonely with the few, supporting your state government's extortion tactics. When they're done robbing the trucker's...who do you think they're going to come for next?

#927083 --- 11/28/08 10:38 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: woodsman]
SilverSurfer Offline

Originally Posted By: woodsman
these idiots caused traffic from route 89 in seneca county to the middle of auburn to come to a stand-still. this demonstration only hurt their cause by pissing people off- if they were trying to make a point that they should be allowed to drive wherever they want, they made a convincing argument of the exact opposite. i've never had any ill-will toward any trucker before today. i felt like flipping each and every one of them the bird for being selfish.

You speak of being selfish...read your own signature line. I do believe truckers were taking a stand regarding their liberties. You're a piece of work, bro. Quoting one of Ben Franklin's famous quotes, and then post that statement about truckers.

Amazing!!!

#927094 --- 11/29/08 01:08 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SilverSurfer]
Rich_Tallcot Offline

Loc: Greeneville, TN
Watch the protest as it goes through Skaneateles here
http://videos.syracuse.com/2008/11/trucks_in_skaneateles.html

I don't know how long the video will be active.

The article in the Citizen appeared to show everyone there in favor of the truckers but one. That one lived on State Rt 41 and he claimed they shouldn't be allowed to drive on State Route 41 because it was a county road.

That's news to me. I grew up on State Rt. 41 which runs well into Cortland County.

#927135 --- 11/29/08 04:50 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Rich_Tallcot]
Ranger Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: GOD's 1/2 acre
Originally Posted By: Rich_Tallcot
Watch the protest as it goes through Skaneateles here
http://videos.syracuse.com/2008/11/trucks_in_skaneateles.html

I don't know how long the video will be active.

The article in the Citizen appeared to show everyone there in favor of the truckers but one. That one lived on State Rt 41 and he claimed they shouldn't be allowed to drive on State Route 41 because it was a county road.
That's news to me. I grew up on State Rt. 41 which runs well into Cortland County.

If it's a county road why do they call it STATE ROUTE 41 durr

#927188 --- 11/29/08 07:00 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SilverSurfer]
woodsman Offline

Originally Posted By: SilverSurfer

You speak of being selfish...read your own signature line. I do believe truckers were taking a stand regarding their liberties. You're a piece of work, bro. Quoting one of Ben Franklin's famous quotes, and then post that statement about truckers.

Amazing!!!

-yes. being selfish at the expense of every other citizen trying to use the road.

My point is that they aren't helping their cause, but hurting it. When people picket, they don't physically prevent anyone from going anywhere- that would be illegal- but this is exactly what they were doing.

ha, and my tagline has nothing to do with truckers holding up traffic- that's not exactly a security issue, as much as a public nuisance issue.

Sorry if you happen to be a trucker, or a sympathizer, but I'm just stating how I felt after living through their "demonstration".

#927220 --- 11/29/08 07:45 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: woodsman]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Oh God, did he live thru it?

#927609 --- 11/29/08 10:25 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: sassyone]
SilverSurfer Offline

Woodsman...

No disrepect intended, but are you that out of touch with what's happening around your community? Truckers didn't just show up un-announced. You made the decision to put yourself in the middle of what all of Skaneateles was aware of, and then want to make it sound as though truckers made it unbearable for you. I'm not even going to waste the time to explain the trucker's issues...you'd probably refuse to except it anyways.

#927694 --- 11/30/08 07:06 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SilverSurfer]
woodsman Offline

I'm actually from Seneca county, and don't always have time to read local news/ watch TV, so yes, I was out of the loop. Also, I would think that at least a few thousand other people who were with me on 5&20 would probably agree with me when I say that there were better ways for the truckers to make their point without infringing upon the rights of other citizens to freely use that (or any) roadway. Picket? Pass around a Petition?? This Definitely got attention, but I'm afraid too much of it was negative. I would probably agree with plenty of their issues, but send me a petition to sign- don't clog up the road so innocent people who didn't have the time to read or watch every bit of local news have to endure the madness.

Believe it or not, alternative opinions to your own do actually exist, and they are just that- opinions. You have your agenda, and thousands of others just wanted to drive 5&20 to auburn without issue, and without a need to make sure that they were up to date with all of the latest news from Skaneateles and their truckers.

I am being sincere when i say i hope your issues are resolved, but the way you went about protesting didn't help you gain much third-party sympathy.

#927845 --- 11/30/08 12:34 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: woodsman]
SilverSurfer Offline

I'm actually from Seneca county, and don't always have time to read local news/ watch TV, so yes, I was out of the loop. Also, I would think that at least a few thousand other people who were with me on 5&20 would probably agree with me when I say that there were better ways for the truckers to make their point without infringing upon the rights of other citizens to freely use that (or any) roadway. Picket? Pass around a Petition?? This Definitely got attention, but I'm afraid too much of it was negative. I would probably agree with plenty of their issues, but send me a petition to sign- don't clog up the road so innocent people who didn't have the time to read or watch every bit of local news have to endure the madness.

Believe it or not, alternative opinions to your own do actually exist, and they are just that- opinions. You have your agenda, and thousands of others just wanted to drive 5&20 to auburn without issue, and without a need to make sure that they were up to date with all of the latest news from Skaneateles and their truckers.

I am being sincere when i say i hope your issues are resolved, but the way you went about protesting didn't help you gain much third-party sympathy.

I thank you for this respectful and well stated response.

Truckers have exhausted all other avenues. Truckers spoke with the governor last June in Skaneateles. They have spoke with state representatives all year. They have even went to the federal level to try to address this unjustified action by your state officials. That resulted in FHWA informing NY if they pursue adopting this ban into law, NY will lose it's federal highway funding. This action was necessary to get the attention of everyone, since the media refuses to report on anything truckers have done to inform NY state residents of what's going on.

They even gave your state government a deadline to address this issue before they came...but to no avail. Your state officials obviously intend to go forward with forcing truckers onto the Thruway to generate revenue. This is extortion in it's truest form. Rt20 is the only alternative route to the Thruway and there MUST be an alternative route to tollways. This is why FHWA was required to take some type of action against NY state's intention of restricting truck traffic from Rt20. Our constitution prevents direct federal intervention in state issues, but federal government does have the ability to influence state decisions.

Convoy's are the "picket line" of truckers. We don't want to inconvenience citizens, but when all other avenues are met with complete resistance...this is what must be done. Last April, when the fuel crisis was beginning, I personally, with many other truckers, went to D.C. after months of petitions and communication with government officials. A few of us, myself included, personally spoke with Representatives and Senators. Did they listen? Yes. Did they act? No. Until we convoyed into D.C., the American people were unaware of the impending crisis of our energy costs...which actually began months before we convoyed. But after, millions became aware and began speaking out. Thus, proof that when truckers convoy...there's something serious going on that the American citizens are not being informed about.

Our government's refusal to act in the best interest of Americans resulted in all American citizens to experience one of the worst economic impact in decades. And the result of that inaction has created the effect we are now experiencing in our financial economy. 1.2 million jobs lost, millions of families lost their homes, thousands of companies bankrupt and our nation's deficit has increased by over 2 trillion dollars...and it's not over yet. Skaneateles is only one small issue compared to this, but it's an issue of corruption and detrimental actions by our government which isn't in the best interest of Americans...both truckers and citizens.

We are constantly calling upon citizens to contact their representatives and speak out. But it is difficult for people to speak about something they are unaware of, and thus sometimes actions such as convoys are necessary to bring this info front and center of the citizens. If you would, contact your representatives. Let them know how you feel - and do this often...not just one time. As to petitions, we all have learned this summer, our government does nothing when presented with them. The fuel petitions millions signed is evidence of this fact. We must stand up and speak out as a nation united.

I am sorry you experienced this action in the way you did. But this was necessary, and your own statement of not being aware is evidence of it's necessity. Also, I am very much aware there are alternative opinions, and with all due respect...when extortion tactics are being pursued by government (both state and federal,) there is no opinion justified in the allowance of these extortion tactics upon America.

#927888 --- 11/30/08 01:47 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SilverSurfer]
SFisWonderful Offline

SilverSurfer - Have the trucker's ever tried to lobby for lower tolls on the thruway or special rates? Some type of plan where the more a company uses the thruway the lower the rates are. I understand that more miles = more costs but I would think the thruway is safer than traveling through small towns and villages and risking hitting another vehicle or being held up with all the traffic lights and slow pokes.

Do you think all the trash trucks driving to Seneca Meadows ruins the image that proud and respectable truck drivers, such as yourself, try to uphold.

#927979 --- 11/30/08 03:57 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SFisWonderful]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

SF yes the trucker industry has tried for lower tolls,special deals .no go .. the thruway can make the money off the truckers .. its by axle ,do you think the state is gonna give that up ? some trailers have a extra 4 or 6 axles, the trucker who have them bring them up when they get close to the tolls just so they don't have to pay the extra money.
I really think if everone wants to live in peace, get the speeders,the ones who don't tarp,grab the over weight ones,and yes a free inspection doesn't hurt everyonce in awhile, BUT Skaneateles was nailing every truck that was going through for a free inspection and many had no violations , why don't they do cars? Some people drive with no insurance,suspended,cars that shouldn't be on the road...come on .. whos picking on who??

#928167 --- 11/30/08 08:22 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: reilley]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sunny and warm
I sat in that line going to Auburn....I turned around in someones driveway to go back the other way so that I could cut across onto West Genesee. Unfortunately I needed to get to a funeral and the line was all the way back to Turnpike road.

#928228 --- 11/30/08 10:30 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SFisWonderful]
SilverSurfer Offline

SilverSurfer - Have the trucker's ever tried to lobby for lower tolls on the thruway or special rates? Some type of plan where the more a company uses the thruway the lower the rates are. I understand that more miles = more costs but I would think the thruway is safer than traveling through small towns and villages and risking hitting another vehicle or being held up with all the traffic lights and slow pokes.

Do you think all the trash trucks driving to Seneca Meadows ruins the image that proud and respectable truck drivers, such as yourself, try to uphold.

Yes, many attempts have been made. The only result has been the Commercial E-ZPass. If a company, owner-operator or independent driver spends over $1,000.00/month they get a 10% discount - $2,000.00/month gets a 15% discount - $3,000.00/month gets a 20% discount. This is the only progress that has been made in regards to truckers and the thruway commission. Small trucking companys, out-of-state truckers and the independents don't benefit from this program...only the big corporate trucking companies.

Truckers are not using alternate routes for any other reason than to shave costs. Rates truckers are being paid have not increased anywhere close to adequate for decades, yet their costs have increased dramatically. We would rather stay on interstates than run through small towns, but during this current economic crisis we face, truckers truely don't have a choice. The use of Rt20 for many literally means the difference between survival or failure. If our federal government would have taken action a year ago, which truckers attempted to get them to act in regards to our energy crisis, you would not have seen a dramatic increase in truck traffic through Skaneateles. And I do believe if Skaneateles residents truely reflect on this, they will find this to be true.

In regards to truckers image...I do not believe the majority of the trash haulers are acting inappropriately. But I do believe there may be a larger number than usual of trash haulers acting in complete disregard to the citizens in Skaneateles and the surrounding areas. Common sense dictates this must be true due to the recent outcry of many citizens. And I do believe the citizens, and the local city officials could do something about this without effecting hundreds of thousands of other truckers doing their job right.

Image of our industry is a very difficult issue. It only takes a few to destroy the image of the whole. And the American public has a tendency to condemn the whole for the actions of the few.

The issue here is so much bigger than people are being made aware of. NY officials are pursueing an action which forces commercial vehicles onto the Thruway. We believe their reasons for this action is due to the major decline in state revenues due to our current economic crisis. I have yet to locate where studies have been done to support any statement of unsafe circumstances on Rt20, warranting a commercial vehicle ban on that route. I have found no economic impact studies, no financial impact studies - no studies of any kind in regards to supporting the need for a ban on Rt20. Our federal government requires there to be a route available as an alternative to the Thruway, and has informed the state of NY if they pursue making this ban a law...NY will lose federal highway funding. The only logical presumption that can be made is the generation of state revenues. This is an extortion tactic by all means, in my opinion.

SS

#928235 --- 11/30/08 10:47 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SilverSurfer]
SFisWonderful Offline

Originally Posted By: SilverSurfer

Yes, many attempts have been made. The only result has been the Commercial E-ZPass. If a company, owner-operator or independent driver spends over $1,000.00/month they get a 10% discount - $2,000.00/month gets a 15% discount - $3,000.00/month gets a 20% discount. This is the only progress that has been made in regards to truckers and the thruway commission. Small trucking companys, out-of-state truckers and the independents don't benefit from this program...only the big corporate trucking companies.

Truckers are not using alternate routes for any other reason than to shave costs. Rates truckers are being paid have not increased anywhere close to adequate for decades, yet their costs have increased dramatically. We would rather stay on interstates than run through small towns, but during this current economic crisis we face, truckers truely don't have a choice. The use of Rt20 for many literally means the difference between survival or failure. If our federal government would have taken action a year ago, which truckers attempted to get them to act in regards to our energy crisis, you would not have seen a dramatic increase in truck traffic through Skaneateles. And I do believe if Skaneateles residents truely reflect on this, they will find this to be true.

In regards to truckers image...I do not believe the majority of the trash haulers are acting inappropriately. But I do believe there may be a larger number than usual of trash haulers acting in complete disregard to the citizens in Skaneateles and the surrounding areas. Common sense dictates this must be true due to the recent outcry of many citizens. And I do believe the citizens, and the local city officials could do something about this without effecting hundreds of thousands of other truckers doing their job right.

Image of our industry is a very difficult issue. It only takes a few to destroy the image of the whole. And the American public has a tendency to condemn the whole for the actions of the few.

The issue here is so much bigger than people are being made aware of. NY officials are pursueing an action which forces commercial vehicles onto the Thruway. We believe their reasons for this action is due to the major decline in state revenues due to our current economic crisis. I have yet to locate where studies have been done to support any statement of unsafe circumstances on Rt20, warranting a commercial vehicle ban on that route. I have found no economic impact studies, no financial impact studies - no studies of any kind in regards to supporting the need for a ban on Rt20. Our federal government requires there to be a route available as an alternative to the Thruway, and has informed the state of NY if they pursue making this ban a law...NY will lose federal highway funding. The only logical presumption that can be made is the generation of state revenues. This is an extortion tactic by all means, in my opinion.

SS

Thank You for your detailed response! Our government makes it tough for anyone to get ahead these days. Taxes, taxes, and more taxes! I hope a resolution that makes the truckers happy as well as the small towns can be agreed upon.

As far as the dump and the trucks hauling in trash, I wish that could go away altogether! I agree, nothing is moved without the help of a TRUCK!

btw. . .I used to love the show Trick My Truck! I'm surprised some trucker never pulled a gun on those guys messin around-good thing that never happened!

#928237 --- 11/30/08 11:15 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SFisWonderful]
SilverSurfer Offline

Your welcome, SF. And I also am hopeful for a positive outcome. It's not going to be easy though - Skaneateles's mayor is supporting the state government's action of a ban, and from what I've been told is refusing to consider any alternatives. This will prove to be difficult in getting a quick resolution. As to the dump and trash trucks...I'm actually surprised residents in the surrounding towns were not informed about the impact of trash truck traffic through there communities before the dump site was considered. Skaneateles was a town long before that site was put in place.

I hear ya about the Trick-My-Truck crew's messing around...lol. I know CB and have met most of the crew - you'd have to meet them to understand their antics. They're actually a great bunch of guys with a weird sense of humor...if ya know what I mean.

SS

#928347 --- 12/01/08 07:41 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SilverSurfer]
Happy Birthday roadtech Offline

Loc: Phelps, NY
I just wanted to say that I am very impressed by SilverSurfer's responses to this topic. My family and I were involved with the convoy, it was a very eye opening experience. To see how many people came out to support from the young to the old was absolutely amazing. I have spent many years working within the trucking industry and my family certainly makes a living by it, but I still didn't grasp the effectiveness of people coming together to stand up for what they believe in until now. For those who don't agree I understand your complaints but as much as people were upset on rt20 just remember thats how a trucker feels when he/she is being forced to use an alternative route. Hopefully people will feel inspired to stand up for anything they believe in.

#928653 --- 12/01/08 05:15 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: roadtech]
SilverSurfer Offline

Thank you, Roadtech. I do try my best to inform people while respecting their right to have an opposing view. Citizens don't know what's truely being done to truckers by our government, and we all must keep this in mind when trying to bring them into an understanding of what's going on. We do not want to take actions such as this, but a stand must be taken.

The support of the majority in Skaneateles was beautiful. Even if they're not fully aware of the wrong being done to truckers, they are behind us...and this is a start. I truely have began to believe they want truckers to take the stand and fight the fight for all of us. We must keep the pressure on for truckers and citizens.

There was a meeting today with state officials, and United LIVE with Overtime will be broadcasting Dec 2 at 9pm to share with us the outcome of all this. I have his show player on my site for those who want to listen in, or join in the chat. We encourage people to call and participate. My site is http://www.theamericandriver.com , and the player is in our "Truckers and Citizens of America" section. Hopefully everyone will join us tomorrow night.

SS

#930039 --- 12/03/08 05:31 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: mutantmaster]
iprotectmine Offline

Loc: home
Let the disgruntled towns people go without the goods, that are delivered to their quaint lil town. Maybe then they'll get some common sense?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >