FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#927094 --- 11/29/08 01:08 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SilverSurfer]
Rich_Tallcot Offline

Loc: Greeneville, TN
Watch the protest as it goes through Skaneateles here
http://videos.syracuse.com/2008/11/trucks_in_skaneateles.html

I don't know how long the video will be active.

The article in the Citizen appeared to show everyone there in favor of the truckers but one. That one lived on State Rt 41 and he claimed they shouldn't be allowed to drive on State Route 41 because it was a county road.

That's news to me. I grew up on State Rt. 41 which runs well into Cortland County.

FingerLakes1.com
#927135 --- 11/29/08 04:50 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Rich_Tallcot]
Ranger Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: GOD's 1/2 acre
Originally Posted By: Rich_Tallcot
Watch the protest as it goes through Skaneateles here
http://videos.syracuse.com/2008/11/trucks_in_skaneateles.html

I don't know how long the video will be active.

The article in the Citizen appeared to show everyone there in favor of the truckers but one. That one lived on State Rt 41 and he claimed they shouldn't be allowed to drive on State Route 41 because it was a county road.
That's news to me. I grew up on State Rt. 41 which runs well into Cortland County.

If it's a county road why do they call it STATE ROUTE 41 durr

#927188 --- 11/29/08 07:00 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SilverSurfer]
woodsman Offline

Loc: Ovid/Ithaca
Originally Posted By: SilverSurfer
Originally Posted By: woodsman
these idiots caused traffic from route 89 in seneca county to the middle of auburn to come to a stand-still. this demonstration only hurt their cause by pissing people off- if they were trying to make a point that they should be allowed to drive wherever they want, they made a convincing argument of the exact opposite. i've never had any ill-will toward any trucker before today. i felt like flipping each and every one of them the bird for being selfish.

You speak of being selfish...read your own signature line. I do believe truckers were taking a stand regarding their liberties. You're a piece of work, bro. Quoting one of Ben Franklin's famous quotes, and then post that statement about truckers.

Amazing!!!

Safe Trails and God Bless,
Frederick (SilverSurfer) Schaffner

-yes. being selfish at the expense of every other citizen trying to use the road.

My point is that they aren't helping their cause, but hurting it. When people picket, they don't physically prevent anyone from going anywhere- that would be illegal- but this is exactly what they were doing.

ha, and my tagline has nothing to do with truckers holding up traffic- that's not exactly a security issue, as much as a public nuisance issue.

Sorry if you happen to be a trucker, or a sympathizer, but I'm just stating how I felt after living through their "demonstration".

#927220 --- 11/29/08 07:45 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: woodsman]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Seneca Falls,NY,
Oh God, did he live thru it?

#927609 --- 11/29/08 10:25 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: sassyone]
SilverSurfer Offline

Loc: Texas
Woodsman...

No disrepect intended, but are you that out of touch with what's happening around your community? Truckers didn't just show up un-announced. You made the decision to put yourself in the middle of what all of Skaneateles was aware of, and then want to make it sound as though truckers made it unbearable for you. I'm not even going to waste the time to explain the trucker's issues...you'd probably refuse to except it anyways.

#927694 --- 11/30/08 07:06 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SilverSurfer]
woodsman Offline

Loc: Ovid/Ithaca
I'm actually from Seneca county, and don't always have time to read local news/ watch TV, so yes, I was out of the loop. Also, I would think that at least a few thousand other people who were with me on 5&20 would probably agree with me when I say that there were better ways for the truckers to make their point without infringing upon the rights of other citizens to freely use that (or any) roadway. Picket? Pass around a Petition?? This Definitely got attention, but I'm afraid too much of it was negative. I would probably agree with plenty of their issues, but send me a petition to sign- don't clog up the road so innocent people who didn't have the time to read or watch every bit of local news have to endure the madness.

Believe it or not, alternative opinions to your own do actually exist, and they are just that- opinions. You have your agenda, and thousands of others just wanted to drive 5&20 to auburn without issue, and without a need to make sure that they were up to date with all of the latest news from Skaneateles and their truckers.

I am being sincere when i say i hope your issues are resolved, but the way you went about protesting didn't help you gain much third-party sympathy.

#927845 --- 11/30/08 12:34 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: woodsman]
SilverSurfer Offline

Originally Posted By: woodsman
I'm actually from Seneca county, and don't always have time to read local news/ watch TV, so yes, I was out of the loop. Also, I would think that at least a few thousand other people who were with me on 5&20 would probably agree with me when I say that there were better ways for the truckers to make their point without infringing upon the rights of other citizens to freely use that (or any) roadway. Picket? Pass around a Petition?? This Definitely got attention, but I'm afraid too much of it was negative. I would probably agree with plenty of their issues, but send me a petition to sign- don't clog up the road so innocent people who didn't have the time to read or watch every bit of local news have to endure the madness.

Believe it or not, alternative opinions to your own do actually exist, and they are just that- opinions. You have your agenda, and thousands of others just wanted to drive 5&20 to auburn without issue, and without a need to make sure that they were up to date with all of the latest news from Skaneateles and their truckers.

I am being sincere when i say i hope your issues are resolved, but the way you went about protesting didn't help you gain much third-party sympathy.

I thank you for this respectful and well stated response.

Truckers have exhausted all other avenues. Truckers spoke with the governor last June in Skaneateles. They have spoke with state representatives all year. They have even went to the federal level to try to address this unjustified action by your state officials. That resulted in FHWA informing NY if they pursue adopting this ban into law, NY will lose it's federal highway funding. This action was necessary to get the attention of everyone, since the media refuses to report on anything truckers have done to inform NY state residents of what's going on.

They even gave your state government a deadline to address this issue before they came...but to no avail. Your state officials obviously intend to go forward with forcing truckers onto the Thruway to generate revenue. This is extortion in it's truest form. Rt20 is the only alternative route to the Thruway and there MUST be an alternative route to tollways. This is why FHWA was required to take some type of action against NY state's intention of restricting truck traffic from Rt20. Our constitution prevents direct federal intervention in state issues, but federal government does have the ability to influence state decisions.

Convoy's are the "picket line" of truckers. We don't want to inconvenience citizens, but when all other avenues are met with complete resistance...this is what must be done. Last April, when the fuel crisis was beginning, I personally, with many other truckers, went to D.C. after months of petitions and communication with government officials. A few of us, myself included, personally spoke with Representatives and Senators. Did they listen? Yes. Did they act? No. Until we convoyed into D.C., the American people were unaware of the impending crisis of our energy costs...which actually began months before we convoyed. But after, millions became aware and began speaking out. Thus, proof that when truckers convoy...there's something serious going on that the American citizens are not being informed about.

Our government's refusal to act in the best interest of Americans resulted in all American citizens to experience one of the worst economic impact in decades. And the result of that inaction has created the effect we are now experiencing in our financial economy. 1.2 million jobs lost, millions of families lost their homes, thousands of companies bankrupt and our nation's deficit has increased by over 2 trillion dollars...and it's not over yet. Skaneateles is only one small issue compared to this, but it's an issue of corruption and detrimental actions by our government which isn't in the best interest of Americans...both truckers and citizens.

We are constantly calling upon citizens to contact their representatives and speak out. But it is difficult for people to speak about something they are unaware of, and thus sometimes actions such as convoys are necessary to bring this info front and center of the citizens. If you would, contact your representatives. Let them know how you feel - and do this often...not just one time. As to petitions, we all have learned this summer, our government does nothing when presented with them. The fuel petitions millions signed is evidence of this fact. We must stand up and speak out as a nation united.

I am sorry you experienced this action in the way you did. But this was necessary, and your own statement of not being aware is evidence of it's necessity. Also, I am very much aware there are alternative opinions, and with all due respect...when extortion tactics are being pursued by government (both state and federal,) there is no opinion justified in the allowance of these extortion tactics upon America.

#927888 --- 11/30/08 01:47 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SilverSurfer]
SFisWonderful Offline

Loc: NEW YORK
SilverSurfer - Have the trucker's ever tried to lobby for lower tolls on the thruway or special rates? Some type of plan where the more a company uses the thruway the lower the rates are. I understand that more miles = more costs but I would think the thruway is safer than traveling through small towns and villages and risking hitting another vehicle or being held up with all the traffic lights and slow pokes.

Do you think all the trash trucks driving to Seneca Meadows ruins the image that proud and respectable truck drivers, such as yourself, try to uphold.

#927979 --- 11/30/08 03:57 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SFisWonderful]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Loc: between here and there
SF yes the trucker industry has tried for lower tolls,special deals .no go .. the thruway can make the money off the truckers .. its by axle ,do you think the state is gonna give that up ? some trailers have a extra 4 or 6 axles, the trucker who have them bring them up when they get close to the tolls just so they don't have to pay the extra money.
I really think if everone wants to live in peace, get the speeders,the ones who don't tarp,grab the over weight ones,and yes a free inspection doesn't hurt everyonce in awhile, BUT Skaneateles was nailing every truck that was going through for a free inspection and many had no violations , why don't they do cars? Some people drive with no insurance,suspended,cars that shouldn't be on the road...come on .. whos picking on who??

#928167 --- 11/30/08 08:22 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: reilley]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sunny and warm
I sat in that line going to Auburn....I turned around in someones driveway to go back the other way so that I could cut across onto West Genesee. Unfortunately I needed to get to a funeral and the line was all the way back to Turnpike road.

#928228 --- 11/30/08 10:30 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SFisWonderful]
SilverSurfer Offline

Originally Posted By: SFisWonderful
SilverSurfer - Have the trucker's ever tried to lobby for lower tolls on the thruway or special rates? Some type of plan where the more a company uses the thruway the lower the rates are. I understand that more miles = more costs but I would think the thruway is safer than traveling through small towns and villages and risking hitting another vehicle or being held up with all the traffic lights and slow pokes.

Do you think all the trash trucks driving to Seneca Meadows ruins the image that proud and respectable truck drivers, such as yourself, try to uphold.

Yes, many attempts have been made. The only result has been the Commercial E-ZPass. If a company, owner-operator or independent driver spends over $1,000.00/month they get a 10% discount - $2,000.00/month gets a 15% discount - $3,000.00/month gets a 20% discount. This is the only progress that has been made in regards to truckers and the thruway commission. Small trucking companys, out-of-state truckers and the independents don't benefit from this program...only the big corporate trucking companies.

Truckers are not using alternate routes for any other reason than to shave costs. Rates truckers are being paid have not increased anywhere close to adequate for decades, yet their costs have increased dramatically. We would rather stay on interstates than run through small towns, but during this current economic crisis we face, truckers truely don't have a choice. The use of Rt20 for many literally means the difference between survival or failure. If our federal government would have taken action a year ago, which truckers attempted to get them to act in regards to our energy crisis, you would not have seen a dramatic increase in truck traffic through Skaneateles. And I do believe if Skaneateles residents truely reflect on this, they will find this to be true.

In regards to truckers image...I do not believe the majority of the trash haulers are acting inappropriately. But I do believe there may be a larger number than usual of trash haulers acting in complete disregard to the citizens in Skaneateles and the surrounding areas. Common sense dictates this must be true due to the recent outcry of many citizens. And I do believe the citizens, and the local city officials could do something about this without effecting hundreds of thousands of other truckers doing their job right.

Image of our industry is a very difficult issue. It only takes a few to destroy the image of the whole. And the American public has a tendency to condemn the whole for the actions of the few.

The issue here is so much bigger than people are being made aware of. NY officials are pursueing an action which forces commercial vehicles onto the Thruway. We believe their reasons for this action is due to the major decline in state revenues due to our current economic crisis. I have yet to locate where studies have been done to support any statement of unsafe circumstances on Rt20, warranting a commercial vehicle ban on that route. I have found no economic impact studies, no financial impact studies - no studies of any kind in regards to supporting the need for a ban on Rt20. Our federal government requires there to be a route available as an alternative to the Thruway, and has informed the state of NY if they pursue making this ban a law...NY will lose federal highway funding. The only logical presumption that can be made is the generation of state revenues. This is an extortion tactic by all means, in my opinion.

SS

#928235 --- 11/30/08 10:47 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SilverSurfer]
SFisWonderful Offline

Loc: NEW YORK
Originally Posted By: SilverSurfer
Originally Posted By: SFisWonderful

Yes, many attempts have been made. The only result has been the Commercial E-ZPass. If a company, owner-operator or independent driver spends over $1,000.00/month they get a 10% discount - $2,000.00/month gets a 15% discount - $3,000.00/month gets a 20% discount. This is the only progress that has been made in regards to truckers and the thruway commission. Small trucking companys, out-of-state truckers and the independents don't benefit from this program...only the big corporate trucking companies.

Truckers are not using alternate routes for any other reason than to shave costs. Rates truckers are being paid have not increased anywhere close to adequate for decades, yet their costs have increased dramatically. We would rather stay on interstates than run through small towns, but during this current economic crisis we face, truckers truely don't have a choice. The use of Rt20 for many literally means the difference between survival or failure. If our federal government would have taken action a year ago, which truckers attempted to get them to act in regards to our energy crisis, you would not have seen a dramatic increase in truck traffic through Skaneateles. And I do believe if Skaneateles residents truely reflect on this, they will find this to be true.

In regards to truckers image...I do not believe the majority of the trash haulers are acting inappropriately. But I do believe there may be a larger number than usual of trash haulers acting in complete disregard to the citizens in Skaneateles and the surrounding areas. Common sense dictates this must be true due to the recent outcry of many citizens. And I do believe the citizens, and the local city officials could do something about this without effecting hundreds of thousands of other truckers doing their job right.

Image of our industry is a very difficult issue. It only takes a few to destroy the image of the whole. And the American public has a tendency to condemn the whole for the actions of the few.

The issue here is so much bigger than people are being made aware of. NY officials are pursueing an action which forces commercial vehicles onto the Thruway. We believe their reasons for this action is due to the major decline in state revenues due to our current economic crisis. I have yet to locate where studies have been done to support any statement of unsafe circumstances on Rt20, warranting a commercial vehicle ban on that route. I have found no economic impact studies, no financial impact studies - no studies of any kind in regards to supporting the need for a ban on Rt20. Our federal government requires there to be a route available as an alternative to the Thruway, and has informed the state of NY if they pursue making this ban a law...NY will lose federal highway funding. The only logical presumption that can be made is the generation of state revenues. This is an extortion tactic by all means, in my opinion.

SS

Thank You for your detailed response! Our government makes it tough for anyone to get ahead these days. Taxes, taxes, and more taxes! I hope a resolution that makes the truckers happy as well as the small towns can be agreed upon.

As far as the dump and the trucks hauling in trash, I wish that could go away altogether! I agree, nothing is moved without the help of a TRUCK!

btw. . .I used to love the show Trick My Truck! I'm surprised some trucker never pulled a gun on those guys messin around-good thing that never happened!

#928237 --- 11/30/08 11:15 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SFisWonderful]
SilverSurfer Offline

Your welcome, SF. And I also am hopeful for a positive outcome. It's not going to be easy though - Skaneateles's mayor is supporting the state government's action of a ban, and from what I've been told is refusing to consider any alternatives. This will prove to be difficult in getting a quick resolution. As to the dump and trash trucks...I'm actually surprised residents in the surrounding towns were not informed about the impact of trash truck traffic through there communities before the dump site was considered. Skaneateles was a town long before that site was put in place.

I hear ya about the Trick-My-Truck crew's messing around...lol. I know CB and have met most of the crew - you'd have to meet them to understand their antics. They're actually a great bunch of guys with a weird sense of humor...if ya know what I mean.

SS

#928347 --- 12/01/08 07:41 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SilverSurfer]
roadtech Offline

Loc: Phelps, NY
I just wanted to say that I am very impressed by SilverSurfer's responses to this topic. My family and I were involved with the convoy, it was a very eye opening experience. To see how many people came out to support from the young to the old was absolutely amazing. I have spent many years working within the trucking industry and my family certainly makes a living by it, but I still didn't grasp the effectiveness of people coming together to stand up for what they believe in until now. For those who don't agree I understand your complaints but as much as people were upset on rt20 just remember thats how a trucker feels when he/she is being forced to use an alternative route. Hopefully people will feel inspired to stand up for anything they believe in.

#928653 --- 12/01/08 05:15 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: roadtech]
SilverSurfer Offline

Thank you, Roadtech. I do try my best to inform people while respecting their right to have an opposing view. Citizens don't know what's truely being done to truckers by our government, and we all must keep this in mind when trying to bring them into an understanding of what's going on. We do not want to take actions such as this, but a stand must be taken.

The support of the majority in Skaneateles was beautiful. Even if they're not fully aware of the wrong being done to truckers, they are behind us...and this is a start. I truely have began to believe they want truckers to take the stand and fight the fight for all of us. We must keep the pressure on for truckers and citizens.

There was a meeting today with state officials, and United LIVE with Overtime will be broadcasting Dec 2 at 9pm to share with us the outcome of all this. I have his show player on my site for those who want to listen in, or join in the chat. We encourage people to call and participate. My site is http://www.theamericandriver.com , and the player is in our "Truckers and Citizens of America" section. Hopefully everyone will join us tomorrow night.

SS

#930039 --- 12/03/08 05:31 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: mutantmaster]
iprotectmine Offline

Loc: home
Let the disgruntled towns people go without the goods, that are delivered to their quaint lil town. Maybe then they'll get some common sense?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >