FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#922454 --- 11/21/08 07:35 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: mutantmaster]
ForTheParty Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Maybe a real boycott would be trucker's refusal to deliver to ALL warehouses/distributors of any and all goods going to any business in the village of Skaneatles, or that sells goods to people residing there.
Let's not forget kids, USPS, UPS, FED Ex, DHL all use tractor trailers. This time of year USPS even contracts with other trucking companies and O/O's to help w/extra shipments/mail. Let them boycott also.

FingerLakes1.com
#922654 --- 11/21/08 03:16 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ForTheParty]
nomi Offline

Loc: new york usa
When these garbage truckers pass my house they do not appear to be driving the speed limit. They stop at a local parking area in and clean the remaining garbage out of their trucks and leave it in the parking area. Why don't they clean their trucks out at the landfill?

At least two of the trucks have caught on fire in my area and one tipped over in my neighberhood dumpinh his load all over the peoples yard.

If you think these garbage haulers are so great park in Geneva near the 5& 20 / pre-emption rd. intersection , count how many truckers are going so fast in the speed zone , that they can not slow down and run the red light.

Many communitys hace restrictions on trucks , weight restrictions on roads and only allow trucks to use their roads that are delivering locally!

I personnally agree with the people of Skaneatles and support what they are doing. I have lost a lot of respect for the truckers whom are planning this protest. That they have threatened and plan on holding a community hostage is horrible!!

I will shop in Skaneatles after or before the truckers protest there!!!

Edited by nomi (11/21/08 03:18 PM)

#922691 --- 11/21/08 04:57 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: nomi]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Seneca Falls,NY,
I used to go to Skinny Atlas, but I won't bother any longer. Your right, they really are snooty.

#922816 --- 11/21/08 09:03 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Gio]
the congressman Offline

Loc: uas
yeah the rail roads will save ya bunch then see you people in that little town would still whine because now see they would have to put train tracks into town, because you don't want trucks hmm seems like a real smart idea listen bottom line rail isn't bringing it to walmart if your going to make comments like that know what your talking about

#923339 --- 11/22/08 09:59 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: the congressman]
Rich_Tallcot Offline

Loc: Greeneville, TN
The purpose of a protest is primarily media attention to gain support for a goal.

The goal in this case is to get the state to release restrictions and open routes up to truckers.

As evidenced on this thread, people that have their mind made up in support of or opposed to restrictions are not likely to change their opinion.

Many of the complaints regarding truckers is they're speeding, not tarpped, littering and breaking the laws anyway. Garbage stinks, I have no answer.

I agree with Gio in that the trucks rolling through our villages seldom do the speed limit. They didn't do that when Barney Fife and Louie Lee were in Cayuga. Everybody knew enough to slow down or pay the price.

People that live outside of the truck routes may not know there are restrictions or what the issues are.

Skaneateles has been most vocal for many years AND a prime reason for the change. The truckers really don't have to be concerned about making those in Skaneateles mad.

Slowing down shoppers on Black Friday in Skaneateles is the only way to way to even get their attention to wonder what's happening and why. Because, people don't wake up until an issue affects them directly. If they get mad and complain to the Governor or their politicians, it doesn't matter what they say. Then the heat is back on the politicians to deal with it. That's the purpose.

It's also the ideal setup for media coverage, which always covers Skaneateles on Black Friday anyway.

Compound that with a rally and the purpose becomes maximized. The problem with doing something big is, if something goes wrong, it can easily have the opposite effect. The problem with not doing anything is, they already lost if they don't.

Granted, the reroutes cost big bucks. They add more miles and take more time. That's where I get confused because that's what I thought truckers get paid for. They should be making more money. But I don't know why the added costs can't be passed on. The truckers shouldn't have to pay the difference.

#923382 --- 11/23/08 04:52 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: the congressman]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
Originally Posted By: the congressman
yeah the rail roads will save ya bunch then see you people in that little town would still whine because now see they would have to put train tracks into town, because you don't want trucks hmm seems like a real smart idea listen bottom line rail isn't bringing it to walmart if your going to make comments like that know what your talking about

Try reading and understanding what I wrote not what you want it to say. The question was asked what would we do with no trucking and I threw out rail service.

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#923498 --- 11/23/08 12:13 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Gio]
SilverSurfer Offline

Loc: Texas
The ignorance of the few in Skaneateles is amazing. You talk of shopping, but ignore the fact that shopping would not be possible without trucks. You think trains are going to be your solution, but have probably never lived in a town where tracks must come directly through to deliver your supplies...along with the fact that your little town will have to foot the bill to build those tracks. And if the train industry deems it cost effective to run through your town...you'll be experiencing a lot more train traffic than you want to bargain with. You speak of speeding trucks, but neglect to talk about your police not doing their job to prevent this. You speak about littering, and yet once again you neglect to talk about your police not doing their job to stop this.

In a time of our nation's need to conserve our energy supply and cut greenhouse gases, you want to create a scenario which requires vehicles to use more fuel and create even more greenhouse gases...at the cost of American truckers. Where is the common sense in your position. To cause the use of additional fuel, more greenhouse gases and the burdon of millions of dollars of additional costs to businesses because your piece and quite is disrupted is what's asinine. There may come a day soon when you'll be crying for those trucks to bring you your supplies when they decide all together to stop going to your little town.

And what about the farmers being harrassed as well. Your little town is being run by the few and is effecting the whole. Have the few truely considered the fact that state routes were built with road tax dollars? And the majority of those dollars came from trucking businesses. You are now advocating the banning of vehicles which pay for the maintenance of those roads. You are advocating the diversion of vehicles which are being forced onto the thruway, costing trucking businesses millions in additional fuel and tolls. You are advocating millions of dollars of additional costs to your local farmers. Something's seriously wrong here. Instead of banning trucks, resulting in more greenhouse gases and the use of millions of gallons of fuel...how about y'all work on fixing the problems which you complain about. Maybe talking with the trucking companies about their driver's littering, or speeding. How about requiring your police to do their job. Maybe even consider a route around your little town which would only result in a few additional miles, instead of hundreds of additional miles.

The convoy coming on black friday is the trucker's way of speaking out about a wrong being done. To bring this wrong front and center of everyone's attention...not just the few that have pull with the local and state government.

People...you are flirting with a very precarious situation. In our current economic circumstance, you may find yourselves without any deliveries of supplies. Companies may decide to avoid your city altogether because of your direct cause of additional costs to them...and you will be forced to travel further to get those supplies.

Here's one more thing I will point out. Was not this state route a truck route when you decided to settle into your home? Are the surrounding cities, the trucking industry and the local farmers suppose to be dramatically effected because you few have decided you don't want the trucks coming by anymore? The additional costs will be passed onto the consumer eventually. Not just your little town, but the surrounding towns as well. This is one of the most selfish situations I've ever heard of.

Safe Trails and God Bless,
Frederick (SilverSurfer) Schaffner

#923501 --- 11/23/08 12:22 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Rich_Tallcot]
SilverSurfer Offline

Originally Posted By: Rich_Tallcot
The purpose of a protest is primarily media attention to gain support for a goal.

The goal in this case is to get the state to release restrictions and open routes up to truckers.

As evidenced on this thread, people that have their mind made up in support of or opposed to restrictions are not likely to change their opinion.

Many of the complaints regarding truckers is they're speeding, not tarpped, littering and breaking the laws anyway. Garbage stinks, I have no answer.

I agree with Gio in that the trucks rolling through our villages seldom do the speed limit. They didn't do that when Barney Fife and Louie Lee were in Cayuga. Everybody knew enough to slow down or pay the price.

People that live outside of the truck routes may not know there are restrictions or what the issues are.

Skaneateles has been most vocal for many years AND a prime reason for the change. The truckers really don't have to be concerned about making those in Skaneateles mad.

Slowing down shoppers on Black Friday in Skaneateles is the only way to way to even get their attention to wonder what's happening and why. Because, people don't wake up until an issue affects them directly. If they get mad and complain to the Governor or their politicians, it doesn't matter what they say. Then the heat is back on the politicians to deal with it. That's the purpose.

It's also the ideal setup for media coverage, which always covers Skaneateles on Black Friday anyway.

Compound that with a rally and the purpose becomes maximized. The problem with doing something big is, if something goes wrong, it can easily have the opposite effect. The problem with not doing anything is, they already lost if they don't.

Granted, the reroutes cost big bucks. They add more miles and take more time. That's where I get confused because that's what I thought truckers get paid for. They should be making more money. But I don't know why the added costs can't be passed on. The truckers shouldn't have to pay the difference.

Trucker's are not paid on odometer miles. They are paid on either pratical miles or city limit to city limit miles. Trucker's paid by the mile are not compensated for the additional miles being re-routed...they are paid on the calculated miles from point A to point B. Which in this situation runs through this little city...not around it.

I hope this clears up your confusion about mileage pay. And the added costs will eventually be passed on, but the companies will benefit from those increases...not the truckers. Unless the TRUCC bill is passed through Congress - Carriers and brokers will continue to retain revenue due the truckers.

#923685 --- 11/23/08 08:50 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SilverSurfer]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Loc: between here and there
I don't blame people for getting upset about the garbage BUT trucks that deliver should not be stopped unless they are breaking the laws. If my husband was speeding anywhere and got caught, I would expect him to pay the ticket. The garbage haulers trucks and trailers have so many things wrong with them plus they don't cover them ,then they should be stopped and red flagged.This guy from NYC ,who thinks he is Tony Saprano ,says everyone is picking on the garbage haulers and they have given all truckers a bad rap. When you buy in a town or village you know that trucks go through and you need to make the decision to move there or not. Red Star Expesss was going through Skaneateles 50 years ago and the speed limit was 65 then. I know , they rumbled past our house hundred times day and nite. But we had no garbage trucks,milk trucks ,cabbage trucks and red star (we called them cannon ball express)
My husband gets paid practial miles and if they is a detour,he doesn't get paid fot it ,he works 70 hrs a week when he is running,hrs and miles make the money,when he has to go the long way , it waste fuel,time and money.
He never has to go through Skaneateles, but he does go through Seneca Falls,Auburn,and towns and villages in between,he has said when he goes through some of these towns ,he goes the speed limit or just under when traffic is heavy and cars go around him like he is standing still.

#923738 --- 11/24/08 03:57 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: reilley]
sparky's back Offline

Loc: At Home..in the kitchen!!
I heard something last week reilley on the radio when I took Patti to school that the snooty folks of Skaneatetes were complaining about the big bucks they spent to live there.. and now they have all this noise traffic from garbage trucks...what would they do with their trash if it wasn't picked up?..lol

#923832 --- 11/24/08 07:15 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Rich_Tallcot]
ForTheParty Offline

Loc: Seneca County
They don't usually make money because of ADDED miles. Brokers base the route on a predesignated program, usually PC MIler. Extra problems/mileage due to other issues, not their problem or expense. Just the truck's.

Edited by ForTheParty (11/24/08 07:15 AM)

#923978 --- 11/24/08 10:45 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ForTheParty]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Oh I know Sparkey , isn't that the way? But maybe their garbage doesn't stink.

#924129 --- 11/24/08 05:13 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: reilley]
SFisWonderful Offline

Loc: NEW YORK
Originally Posted By: reilley

Are you serious?? Put your disagreements with Skaneateles aside for on second! Maybe if Seneca Meadows didnt increase their intake in trash-maybe the surrounding communities would be much happier!

I would love to do a survey in Skaneateles to see if the majority of the residents want ALL trucks banned or just some. I am pretty sure the garbage trucks make up a good portion of the problem.

Like I said before, Seneca County needs to charge a $100 dollar dumping fee for Non Seneca County trash. Maybe more, maybe $100 dollars is getting off way to cheap! NYC has the money, if they don't, well they can sit in their trash and like, along with every other town that think their trash magically just dissappears.

#924252 --- 11/24/08 07:49 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SFisWonderful]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: SFisWonderful
Originally Posted By: reilley

Are you serious?? Put your disagreements with Skaneateles aside for on second! Maybe if Seneca Meadows didnt increase their intake in trash-maybe the surrounding communities would be much happier!

I would love to do a survey in Skaneateles to see if the majority of the residents want ALL trucks banned or just some. I am pretty sure the garbage trucks make up a good portion of the problem.

Like I said before, Seneca County needs to charge a $100 dollar dumping fee for Non Seneca County trash. Maybe more, maybe $100 dollars is getting off way to cheap! NYC has the money, if they don't, well they can sit in their trash and like, along with every other town that think their trash magically just dissappears.

Yes I am serious !
Why aren't communities pushing for a garbage fee? instead of asking me if I am serious, ask the board members and your reps to do something like a good size fee.
There are other places they could dump the trash ... it doesn't have to be Seneca Meadows,but they have made it easy for the haulers to come and dump

#926693 --- 11/28/08 09:44 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Gio]
Cayuga Lake Man Offline

Loc: Cayuga Lake

#926751 --- 11/28/08 12:18 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Cayuga Lake Man]
watchdog1 Offline

Loc: ny
Does anyone know that EVERY truck over 18000# that travels in New York pays a special tax called Highway Use Tax or HUT, it is unique to New York. The average Tractor-Trailer annually pays $6000.00+ in road use taxes. The state says it goes towards road repair? In addition most all of the evil garbage trucks have a non-divisable permit and that is another $1500+ a year. This is all in addition to the trucks regular NYS registration which can run over $1000+ a year.

So will the state and the Governor be lowering the road use taxes that they so happly take from the trucking industry because they are now limiting what roads they can travel on????

#927008 --- 11/28/08 07:19 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: watchdog1]
woodsman Offline

Loc: Ovid/Ithaca
these idiots caused traffic from route 89 in seneca county to the middle of auburn to come to a stand-still. this demonstration only hurt their cause by pissing people off- if they were trying to make a point that they should be allowed to drive wherever they want, they made a convincing argument of the exact opposite. i've never had any ill-will toward any trucker before today. i felt like flipping each and every one of them the bird for being selfish.

#927036 --- 11/28/08 08:18 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: woodsman]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
You should try living where I do and have them flying through a 30MPH zone at 55MPH.

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#927081 --- 11/28/08 10:33 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Gio]
SilverSurfer Offline

Originally Posted By: Gio
You should try living where I do and have them flying through a 30MPH zone at 55MPH.

Are we to presume the police won't work your street. I do believe you can go to the police commander and speak out about this issue you seem to have with hundreds of truckers speeding by your house. I believe you're exasterbating the speeding issue. There are many avenues you can pursue without financially crippling the many.

Also, and I was listening to your police's frequency today...there was no incidents or problems with the hundreds of trucks coming into Skaneateles to protest your state government's extortion tactics. Hell, from the reports the majority of the citizens lining the streets were cheering and waving signs. It must be very lonely with the few, supporting your state government's extortion tactics. When they're done robbing the trucker's...who do you think they're going to come for next?

#927083 --- 11/28/08 10:38 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: woodsman]
SilverSurfer Offline

Originally Posted By: woodsman
these idiots caused traffic from route 89 in seneca county to the middle of auburn to come to a stand-still. this demonstration only hurt their cause by pissing people off- if they were trying to make a point that they should be allowed to drive wherever they want, they made a convincing argument of the exact opposite. i've never had any ill-will toward any trucker before today. i felt like flipping each and every one of them the bird for being selfish.

You speak of being selfish...read your own signature line. I do believe truckers were taking a stand regarding their liberties. You're a piece of work, bro. Quoting one of Ben Franklin's famous quotes, and then post that statement about truckers.

Amazing!!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >