Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#921085 --- 11/18/08 11:43 PM Truckers Convoy Nov 28
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Loc: between here and there
Truckers plan to give Skaneateles a Dickens of a time
by Matt Michael / The Post-Standard Monday November 17, 2008, 9:40 PM
SKANEATELES, NY -- Even Scrooge couldn't have thought this one up.On Nov. 28 -- the day after Thanksgiving and opening day for Dickens Christmas celebration in Skaneateles -- the village of Skaneateles could turn into a parking lot for about 400 trucks and tractor-trailers.Truckers and Citizens United, a national group that represents 15,000 drivers and trucking employees, is planning a convoy and rally that will start at Exit 41 on the New York State Thruway and end in downtown Skaneateles.Charlie Claburn, the organization's Northeast regional director, said the convoy will protest Gov. David Paterson's push to restrict truck traffic on certain rural state roads."When did we start living in a country where they have to tell us which way to go to get somewhere?" Claburn said.Claburn said the trucks will leave Exit 41 about 10 a.m. and rumble from routes 414 to 318 to 20 in Auburn and then Skaneateles.At noon on the same day, the annual Dickens Christmas will kick off at the Sherwood Inn, on Genesee Street (Route 20), with a proclamation by an actor playing Charles Dickens, the author of "A Christmas Carol." Dickens Christmas features Dickens characters performing interactive street theater in the village.The day after Thanksgiving is traditionally the biggest day of the year for the shops along Genesee Street, said Sue Dove, executive director of the Skaneateles Chamber of Commerce."(The trucks) will just detract from the whole ambience of stepping back in time to a gentler, more peaceful way of life," Dove said. "If they do come, we will go forward and we hope things will be in place to make it safe for everyone."In September, Truckers and Citizens United planned to send more than 200 trucks to Washington, D.C., to protest high gas prices. About 20 truckers showed, and organizers blamed the low turnout on the high fuel prices.Claburn said he expects 400 mostly New York truck drivers to attend the protest Nov. 28.In May, Paterson visited Skaneateles to announce that the state Department of Transportation would implement policies to prevent big rigs from taking shortcuts through towns and villages.When residents yelled that they had been waiting decades for such a solution, Paterson said, "You've been waiting 20 years? Well, there's a new sheriff in town."Under the latest plan that DOT officials unveiled earlier this month, trucks could travel on seven roads -- including routes 41, 41A, 90 and 38 in Onondaga, Cayuga and Cortland counties -- only if the roads provide the sole route for the trucks to perform their pickups or deliveries. In all other cases, trucks would be required to use major highways, such as Interstate 81 or the Thruway.Charles Carrier, speaking for the state DOT, said the plan is the result of months of dialogue with the trucking industry, municipal and business leaders and residents who attended a public hearing in Syracuse in September. By the end of this month, Carrier said, the proposal will be forwarded to the Governor's Office of Regulatory Reform, which helps state agencies write rules and regulations.Then there's a 45-day public comment period. If there is not strong opposition to the plan, it could become law early next year, Carrier said.Citizens and Truckers United scheduled the protest to bring attention to the plan and to ask residents to oppose it.Claburn said there are more than 500,000 trucking jobs in the state, and most of the truckers are with small fleets. He said it will cost these workers millions of dollars in fuel, tolls and operating costs to avoid rural roads.Claburn said the trucking group is protesting in Skaneateles because village officials and residents have been vocal about keeping trucks off the local roads. He acknowledges the trucks will "really tie things up" in Skaneateles, but he said he's asking residents to be patient and consider the truckers' side.Claburn said he'd like to meet Nov. 28 with Skaneateles Mayor Robert Green to talk about a compromise that would keep trucks on rural roads, but away from schools and downtowns.The mayor said he doesn't know how the protest will change residents' minds."It could have the reverse effect for what they're trying to accomplish," Green said.Skaneateles Police Chief Lloyd Perkins said he has heard the rumors about the convoy, and he has had conversations with the state police about it. He said his main concern is that emergency vehicles be able to get in and out of the village.Perkins said the police won't try to stop the convoy as long as it's peaceful.

FingerLakes1.com
#921155 --- 11/19/08 05:14 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: reilley]
Mountain Man Offline

Loc: out there
Idiots

#921227 --- 11/19/08 07:28 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Mountain Man]
justaxme Offline

Loc: On top?
Sounds like a good way to get the public on your side!!!

#921357 --- 11/19/08 11:56 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: justaxme]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
As much as I find Skaneateles annoying disrupting a holiday gathering and potentially putting people in harms way is asinine...

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#921496 --- 11/19/08 04:31 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Livelihoods being disrupted how?

#921752 --- 11/20/08 04:38 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Then maybe they should get into another line of work.

#921764 --- 11/20/08 05:07 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ]
SFisWonderful Offline

Loc: NEW YORK
Originally Posted By: jakki
If these routes are going to be prohibited for the trucks to utilize...then they will have to go many miles out of their way to reach destinations...losing time allowed for the trip (logs), extra fuel expense, losing time to be home, not to mention if they are forced to use the NYS thruway...the tolls on there for semi trucks is outrageous...they already pay dear for FHUT and NYSHUT to travel the highways...and tax at the pump too.
Ex. If they have to go one hour out of their way to their destination...and lose another hour on their return trip...they have wasted 2 hours of their 10 hour allowed log time for the said day. Not to mention...did you know they only get between 4 and 7 miles per gallon ... did you know fuel oil is much more expensive than gasoline? Did you know the tires on these trucks are from $450 to $700+ per tire? 40.00 per tire tobe balanced and mounted.
They cannot afford to be forced off these highways. The Rts. 89 and 96 affect our business more than the Skane. So yes, these retrictions will be costly to the trucks (more so to the owner-operators)...<hence> disrupting and gouging into their already pinched livelihoods.

Yea. . definitely sounds expensive. I think the trash haulers have ruined it for every other driver that has respect for the small communities. I see trucks rollin' into the Village of SF as though they didnt even see the 30 mph sign.

I dont have the numbers. . .but I cant even imagine how many more trucks have been cutting through small villages all over NY since Seneca Meadows has increased its volume.

BLAME THE DUMP JACKI. . .not the people that dislike the smell of trash.

#921773 --- 11/20/08 05:21 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: SFisWonderful]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

I dont like how fast they drive through my village. The trucks actually shake my windows. I for one hope they pass the law but to protest through a small village that supports a ban is not going to endear themselves very much or drum up much support.

#921934 --- 11/20/08 11:28 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ]
ForTheParty Offline

Loc: Seneca County
I have worked in every aspect of this industry. I don't agree w/the plan of disturbance that these O/O's and companies are planning. However, how "endearing" is it for a community to say they are too nice of a town for trucks? Even though there is NOTHING any of these residences touch during a day that wasn't braught to them by truck.
I've said it before...pay closer attention to the types of haulers rampaging through your town. I'll guarantee it's more of one type.
Here's a real idea: Speed traps! Commercial tickets/fines are higher. More revenue for the jurisdictions giving them out. I keep hearing and seeing complaints about garbage flying from these trucks. Add some littering fines. Maybe DOT needs to set-up camp a little more often in these areas. Implament a Jake Brake forbiddance.
Even though fuel is lowering, most places besides NY, freight prices are lowering EXTREMELY. Add the toll hikes. Come on!

#921981 --- 11/20/08 12:54 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: jakki
Originally Posted By: Gio
Then maybe they should get into another line of work.

Well, if the majority decided to do that...what do you think would happen?

The trains would start hauling the freight like they use to and prices would go down as transportation costs would not be as much.

Edited by Gio (11/20/08 12:55 PM)

#922065 --- 11/20/08 02:59 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Fingerlakes Railway is doing it now. They are saving towns and businesses thousands of dollars on transportation costs. Only a matter of time before it becomes the norm again.

#922086 --- 11/20/08 03:41 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Gio]
ForTheParty Offline

Yes, and I work for a trucking company that contracts w/companies to pick their stuff up at rail yards and redistribite it...often back along the same route again. Only after they have paid reloading costs and additional handling and freight charges.
How are towns saving so much money in re: to train use?

#922109 --- 11/20/08 04:41 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ForTheParty]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: ForTheParty
Yes, and I work for a trucking company that contracts w/companies to pick their stuff up at rail yards and redistribite it...often back along the same route again. Only after they have paid reloading costs and additional handling and freight charges.
How are towns saving so much money in re: to train use?

Contact Fingerlakes Railway.

#922110 --- 11/20/08 04:43 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: Gio]
ForTheParty Offline

You spoke w/no actual statistics?

#922119 --- 11/20/08 05:08 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Seneca Falls,NY,
I salute the truckers for what they bring. If not for them being able to travel these roads, of course, the goods you are paying for will need to have a cost increase.

#922240 --- 11/20/08 07:53 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: sassyone]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Well good for all of you. Now that we have gotten off track it still is asinine to protest through a small vilage by clogging up the narrow roadways with big trucks when that is one of the major complaints to begin with...

#922289 --- 11/20/08 09:37 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ForTheParty]
sickofbigrigs Offline

Loc: ny
Is everyone just so in need of crap that we have to have trucks everywhere day and night. what ever happened to using what we have til it breaks? I have this computer which is one year old, but also watch a 23 year old tv and drive an 11 year old car, don't own a cell phone and by the way most of the furniture in my house is used or hand me downs. Do we need all these trucks if we don't buy as much crap? Peace and quiet is more important than a big screen tv. Instead of shopping and buying stuff, look out at nature or go help your neighbor.

#922322 --- 11/20/08 11:24 PM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ]
sickofbigrigs Offline

Loc: ny
No I don't take meds No I don't eat meat. If I buy vegtables or fruit I do so from a local farmer. I go to the store once a week. I don't have a father in the trucking business. My dad didn't live to be old. I don't find the smell of diesel fuel comforting and would rather hear the birds singing than a truck pulling in my driveway. Call me crazy but peace and quiet are important to me. If I wanted to hear trucks I move to a big city.I certainly wouldn't live in a rural town. You'd think people were asking for to want quiet. Trucks are like a disease. They keep coming in bigger sizes and more of them every year.

#922448 --- 11/21/08 07:18 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: sickofbigrigs]
ForTheParty Offline

Sickofbigrigs, I do understand your plea, and that of Gio's. However, there is no end to the future of truck use in the transportation industry. And both trucks and trains are a noise problem, depending on where you are standing. So are cars w/blaring stereos and bad exhausts going by my home. You just have too let things go. And your not going to get fresh fruits and veggies from the farmer in January.
Buyer beware! Freight costs on trucks has gone up 5% in the last year. Mainly due to fuel increases. Train freight rates has gone up 12%. The shipper charges the receiver. The receiver charges...you.

#922450 --- 11/21/08 07:25 AM Re: Truckers Convoy Nov 28 [Re: ForTheParty]
mutantmaster Offline

Maybe they can build pipelines to all of the gas stations so that the trucks would not have to go there, or run some railroad tracks to every local store that you visit? I would love to see the trucking industry boycott that snooty little town. Then the people would have something to bitch about while they wait for the next boat to pull up to shore with goods to spend their money on. It's always something.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >