FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#912067 --- 11/04/08 11:59 PM Thank You Geneva for Voting
Genevan Offline

Loc: Geneva
I would like to thank all Geneva and Geneva minority folks for getting out there and voting for Obama - our next president. Hopefully some folks without hope in our community will be motivated to improve their lives and prove all the racist hate mongers on this forum wrong. Time to say farewell to the babyboomers and usher in the next generation. GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FingerLakes1.com
#912073 --- 11/05/08 02:47 AM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: Genevan]
MorganHills Offline

Loc: On a tangent
umm, I believe babyboomers helped elect Obama , and many of them are only in their 50's..not quite ready for the elephant graveyard

#912117 --- 11/05/08 04:57 AM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: MorganHills]
Sweetcakes Offline

Loc: Southeast of Disorder
Why world you seperate Geneva and Genvea minority folks? You right there put Geneva citizens into two classes!

#912144 --- 11/05/08 05:36 AM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: Sweetcakes]
Mountain Man Offline

Loc: out there
I can understand how a minority thinks this is HUGE deal, but it isn't. White people of all ages contributed to Obama's victory as well as minorities. In fact, without the colorblind vote Obama would be an also ran.

Keep in mind when I say this isn't a big deal I mean so in terms of how Blacks are accepted by Whites. Black men and women are respected members of our communities, respected teachers, doctors, lawyers (if one can respect lawyers at all)and captains of industry and corporations.

These highly regarded positions have been held by Blacks for decades, and in any environment other than a redneck one, no one is surprised if a Black person is the leader, doctor, the intellectual. So what's your point.

It seems like the overt cry of racism has to die on this one. Surely, it is clear to every one that this is, in general, a colorblind nation. Sure, there are creeps on both sides of the racism issue, but it seems to rest mostly in the demographic that is the underclass economically now.

It will never be a perfect world, but the separation of Genevans and Genevan minorities continues to draw an unnecessary line between good people.

...oh yeah, white guy, 56. No, I didn't vote for Obama (and not for race reasons...voted 3rd party as a protest), but now that he is in all Americans should work together toward his success in what ever way a locality can do so.

#912148 --- 11/05/08 05:44 AM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: Genevan]
Geneva_grl Offline

Loc: G-Town
Women, of all colors, are also the "minority". Statistically, there are more women than there are men, so why are women a minority? We are lower paid than men, we are overlooked in high power positions more often than men, etc. So, when you use the term "minority", don't forget that you are also including women.

Also, I cannot believe that you singled out Geneva "minority" from all other Genevans. We are a community, no matter what the color of our skin. How is a community supposed to come together with an attitude such as your's. Shame on you.

#912196 --- 11/05/08 06:35 AM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: Genevan]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sunny and warm
Originally Posted By: Genevan
I would like to thank all Geneva and Geneva minority folks for getting out there and voting for Obama - our next president. Hopefully some folks without hope in our community will be motivated to improve their lives and prove all the racist hate mongers on this forum wrong. Time to say farewell to the babyboomers and usher in the next generation. GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the most ignorant statement I have read in a long time.

#912198 --- 11/05/08 06:37 AM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: MorganHills]
PYmastersteve Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: MorganHills
umm, I believe babyboomers helped elect Obama , and many of them are only in their 50's..not quite ready for the elephant graveyard
Nope, 30 and younger helped him...the older population majority voted mccain saw it on news last night...

#912247 --- 11/05/08 07:48 AM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: PYmastersteve]
Judy Offline

As a 68 year old white woman who was a civil rights volunteer many moons ago, I'm thrilled and amazed this morning that a black President could be elected in my lifetime. I never would have thought it in the early 60's.

Of course, as a 68 year old white woman who is retired on what Social Security pays when I was paid small salaries at 50% of what the guys got for the same work, well, let me tell you, that's a gift that keeps on giving. Let's say I'm no where near the "average Social Security check" even though I worked for 33 years.

#912294 --- 11/05/08 09:10 AM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: Judy]
woodsman Offline

Loc: Ovid/Ithaca
well said, mountain man!

#912303 --- 11/05/08 09:18 AM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: woodsman]
Geneva2008 Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes, NY
I did not vote for President Elect Obama, but I have followed and admired his tenacity and conviction over the last several years. I truly hope with his new position he can heal and place a positive face on america for all races. We all deserve it no matter what color, race or economic status we derive from. You know what we can all get along, we have to.

#912369 --- 11/05/08 10:23 AM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: Genevan]
lazysummer Offline

While I completely agree that Genevan did not make the best choices in wording this expression of hope, it was an expression of hope for our community and our country. And, I will add to that my hope that we will turn our focus to valuing the best in people even when they make mistakes rather than make sport of tearing them down! Here's to a hopeful, optimistic, and united future!!

#912375 --- 11/05/08 10:31 AM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: Genevan]
NWofNYC Offline

Loc: 42.865245, -76.977403

According to the poll results, Ontario county was Red.

#912484 --- 11/05/08 12:52 PM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: NWofNYC]
Genevan Offline

My apologies if I have offended some folks.
Perhaps Dylon said it best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgECKj9LSH4

#912551 --- 11/05/08 03:01 PM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: Yetta Nother]
Sovereign King Offline

Loc: Auditioning on Broadway
Originally Posted By: Yetta Nother

Anyone who voted for Obama simply because of the of the color his skin is as ignorant as anyone who would've voted for Hilary Clinton simply because she was a women...

I (a white male in my 20's not from Geneva) and many others voted for Obama because he was the right person for the job!

#912553 --- 11/05/08 03:03 PM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: Sovereign King]
Jelloshot Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Right behind you.
man, rough crowd - the poster apologized already, sheesh!

#912558 --- 11/05/08 03:06 PM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: Jelloshot]
Sovereign King Offline

it wasn't directed to the OP, just what I feel, felt it fit in this thread...

#912583 --- 11/05/08 03:27 PM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: Sovereign King]
Mountain Man Offline

Well, SK, you can be sure a large contingent of the vote was because he is black, in both the white and black voters. I am also sure a large contingent would have voted for Hillary based on her gender before all else. Sad.

I do find Obama eminently unqualified for the position. I hope you're right since he is in there now. McCain was not a good choice either. Obama reminds me of a huckster selling snake oil from a carnival wagon, a con man. I hope I am wrong.

#912647 --- 11/05/08 04:38 PM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: Sovereign King]
Redbutch Offline

Originally Posted By: Sovereign King
Originally Posted By: Yetta Nother

Anyone who voted for Obama simply because of the of the color his skin is as ignorant as anyone who would've voted for Hilary Clinton simply because she was a women...

I (a white male in my 20's not from Geneva) and many others voted for Obama because he was the right person for the job!

Well said King! As a woman I was chastised by my friends for being a Hillary supporter but I didn't feel she would be a good president. I am proud to be a Barack Obama supporter, especially since I think he did the best he could NOT to make race an issue until the final word was in last night. (At some points in the campaign there was no avoiding it but at least it wasn't the main focus of his campaign.) Hopefully he will inspire all our leaders to enact some change in the way the world works, even on the local level. Of course, if he doesn't lead as he promised, then you will see the apathy return, stronger than ever.

#912695 --- 11/05/08 06:02 PM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: Redbutch]
Genevan Offline

Without lecturing here, its terribly naive of us to suggest race is no longer an issue in our country. That said, last nights election is proof we have "overcome" a great deal and should be proud. I was extending gratitude to those minorities who, in the past, may have felt their voice never mattered, but this election they decided to vote while living in a red county (as pointed out). My apology was to the baby boomers who may have felt slighted by my generational comment. At the same time, the face of the next generation will soon be what is now the minority. Respectfully, its time for the old guard to make way. I thank those boomers who voted to support this change.

#912706 --- 11/05/08 06:12 PM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: Judy]
MorganHills Offline

Loc: On a tangent
thank you for your service as a civil rights volunteer; it apparently has paid off \:\)

#912742 --- 11/05/08 06:56 PM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: MorganHills]
Sovereign King Offline

Originally Posted By: MorganHills
thank you for your service as a civil rights volunteer; it apparently has paid off \:\)

Agreed! I've heard so many people thanking the troops and veterans for doing what they do to protect our right to vote... until now, I don't think I've heard anyone thank any civil rights leaders, workers, or volunteers for doing what they have done throughout history to make it possible to have the first African American elected President!

#912769 --- 11/05/08 07:41 PM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: Sovereign King]
paramedic268 Offline

Loc: Phelps NY
Well we will see how long it takes for President-elect Obama to back off the campaign promises...Oh wait, it started last night when he said that the economy is on a slippery slope, and he may not be able to fix it in four years....geez couldn't we have dreamed that he was going to fix all the problems like he said, at least for one night.

Nothing changed, it was an anti Bush/Republican night...it will be a long four years

#912825 --- 11/05/08 08:44 PM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: Mountain Man]
P Offline

Loc: Fingerlakes ny
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
I can understand how a minority thinks this is HUGE deal, but it isn't. White people of all ages contributed to Obama's victory as well as minorities. In fact, without the colorblind vote Obama would be an also ran.

Keep in mind when I say this isn't a big deal I mean so in terms of how Blacks are accepted by Whites. Black men and women are respected members of our communities, respected teachers, doctors, lawyers (if one can respect lawyers at all)and captains of industry and corporations.

These highly regarded positions have been held by Blacks for decades, and in any environment other than a redneck one, no one is surprised if a Black person is the leader, doctor, the intellectual. So what's your point.

It seems like the overt cry of racism has to die on this one. Surely, it is clear to every one that this is, in general, a colorblind nation. Sure, there are creeps on both sides of the racism issue, but it seems to rest mostly in the demographic that is the underclass economically now.

It will never be a perfect world, but the separation of Genevans and Genevan minorities continues to draw an unnecessary line between good people.

...oh yeah, white guy, 56. No, I didn't vote for Obama (and not for race reasons...voted 3rd party as a protest), but now that he is in all Americans should work together toward his success in what ever way a locality can do so.

Well spoken...... The question should be ask why so much devisiveness? The answer is ignorance in part by all sides.Based on the qualifications of both candidates, Oboma & Biden gets the nod but sadly we judge not by qualifications but who identify or look the same as I do. Thankfully we had many white voters who saw beyond color and recognized the candidate best suited to remedy our Nation's problems. Racism is very alive in the United States and we as a nation just proved that point through actions(negative ads with racial conotations)Many black and white voters never sought to understand or eduacate themselves on either party's platform but chose rather to form their own ignorant opinion. The following article was published a Washington DC paper.last month.

How Racism Works

What if Barack Obama finished fifth from the bottom of his graduating class?

What if John McCain were a former president of the Harvard Law Review?

What if Obama were the candidate who left his first wife after she no longer measured up to his standards?

What if McCain were still married to the first woman to whom he said 'I do'?

What if Michelle Obama were a wife who not only became addicted to pain killers, but acquired them illegally through her charitable organization?

What if Cindy McCain graduated from Harvard?

What if Obama were a member of the Keating-5?

What if McCain were a charismatic, eloquent speaker?

If these questions reflected reality, do you really believe the election numbers would be as close as they are?

This is what racism does. It covers up, rationalizes and minimizes positive qualities in one candidate and emphasizes negative qualities in another when there is a color difference.

You are The Boss... which team would you hire With America facing historic debt, 2 wars, stumbling health care, a weakened dollar, all-time high prison population, mortgage crises, bank failures, trillion dollar Federal bailouts of private corporations, etc.

Educational Background:

Obama:

Columbia University - B.A. Political Science with a Specialization in International Relations.

Harvard - Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude

Biden:

University of Delaware - B.A. in History and B.A. in Political Science.

Syracuse University College of Law - Juris Doctor (J.D.)

vs.

McCain:

United States Naval Academy - Class rank: 894 of 899

Palin:

Hawaii Pacific University - 1 semester

North Idaho College - 2 semesters - general study

University of Idaho - 2 semesters - journalism

Matanuska-Susitna College - 1 semester

University of Idaho - 3 semesters - B.A. in Journalism
Now, which team are you going to hire
PS: What if Barack Obama had an unwed, pregnant teenage daughter....

THIS IS OUR NATION ON WHITE PRIVILEGE

By Tim Wise [A national anti-racism trainer]

For those who still can't grasp the concept of white privilege, or who are constantly looking for some easy-to-understand examples of it, perhaps this list will help.

White privilege is when you can get pregnant at seventeen like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your family is a personal matter, and that no one has a right to judge you or your parents, because 'every family has challenges,' even as black and Latino families with similar 'challenges' are regularly typified as irresponsible, pathological and arbiters of social decay.

White privilege is when you can call yourself a 'fʼʼʼʼn' redneck,' like Bristol Palin's boyfriend does, and talk about how if anyone messes with you, you'll 'kick their f_______' ass,' and talk about how you like to 'shoot sh___t' for fun, and still be viewed as a responsible, all-American boy (and a great son-in-law to be) rather than a thug.

White privilege is when you can attend four different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did (one of which you basically failed out of, then returned to after making up some coursework at a community college), and no one questions your intelligence or commitment to achievement, whereas a person of color who did this would be viewed as unfit for college, and probably someone who only got in in the first place because of affirmative action.

White privilege is when you can claim that being mayor of a town smaller than most medium-sized colleges, and then Governor of a state with about the same number of people as the lower fifth of the island of Manhattan, makes you ready to potentially be president, and people don't all piss on themselves with laughter, while being a black U.S. Senator, two-term state Senator, and constitutional law scholar, means you're 'untested.'

White privilege is being able to say that you support the words 'under God' in the pledge of allegiance because 'if it was good enough for the founding fathers, it's good enough for me,' and not be immediately disqualified from holding office--since, after all, the pledge was written in the late 1800s and the 'under God' part wasn't added until the 1950s--while believing that reading accused criminals and terrorists their rights (because, ya know, the Constitution, which you used to teach at a prestigious law school requires it), is a dangerous and silly idea only supported by mushy liberals.

White privilege is being able to be a gun enthusiast and not make people immediately scared of you.

White privilege is being able to have a husband who was a member of an extremist political party that wants your state to secede from the Union, and whose motto was 'Alaska first,' and no one questions your patriotism or that of your family, while if you're black and your spouse merely fails to come to a 9/11 memorial so she can be home with her kids on the first day of school, people immediately think she's being disrespectful.

White privilege is being able to make fun of community organizers and the work they do--like, among other things, fight for the right of women to vote, or for civil rights, or the 8-hour workday, or an end to child labor--and people think you're being pithy and tough, but if you merely question the experience of a small town mayor and 18-month governor with no foreign policy expertise beyond a class she took in college--you're somehow being mean, or even sexist.

White privilege is being able to convince white women who don't even agree with you on any substantive issue to vote for you and your running mate anyway, because all of a sudden your presence on the ticket has inspired confidence in these same white women, and made them give your party a 'second look.'

White privilege is being able to fire people who didn't support your political campaigns and not be accused of abusing your power or being a typical politician who engages in favoritism, while being black and merely knowing some folks from the old-line political machines in Chicago means you must be corrupt.

White privilege is being able to attend churches over the years whose pastors say that people who voted for John Kerry or merely criticize George W. Bush are going to hell, and that the U.S. is an explicitly Christian nation and the job of Christians is to bring Christian theological principles into government, and who bring in speakers who say the conflict in the Middle East is God's punishment on Jews for rejecting Jesus, and everyone can still think you're just a good church-going Christian, but if you're black and friends with a black pastor who has noted (as have Colin Powell and the U.S. Department of Defense) that terrorist attacks are often the result of U.S. foreign policy and who talks about the history of racism and its effect on black people, you're an extremist who probably hates America.

White privilege is not knowing what the Bush Doctrine is when asked by a reporter, and then people get angry at the reporter for asking you such a 'trick question,' while being black and merely refusing to give one-word answers to the queries of Bill O'Reilly means you're dodging the question, or trying to seem overly intellectual and nuanced.

White privilege is being able to claim your experience as a POW has anything at all to do with your fitness for president, while being black and experiencing racism is, as Sarah Palin has referred to it a 'light' burden.

And finally, white privilege is the only thing that could possibly allow someone to become president when he has voted with George W. Bush 90 percent of the time, even as unemployment is skyrocketing, people are losing their homes, inflation is rising, and the U.S. is increasingly isolated from world opinion, just because white voters aren't sure about that whole 'change' thing. Ya know, it's just too vague and ill-defined, unlike, say, four more years of the same, - which is very concrete and certain.

White privilege is, in short, the problem.

Edited by Papa4 (11/05/08 08:57 PM)

#912907 --- 11/06/08 05:02 AM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: P]
Mountain Man Offline

..and after all that...Obama is still not qualified ot be president, but I will support him.

#912958 --- 11/06/08 06:54 AM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: P]
NWofNYC Offline

Loc: 42.865245, -76.977403

Ah yes, Tim Wise. The self-flagellating, white male from Nashville.

He sure has found a niche market. Kinda like writing children's books or advertising jingles.

Do you, (or does he), have any footnotes or sources for this "copy/paste" extravaganza? Or did he just pick it all up from Sirius Left-Channel 146?

#913188 --- 11/06/08 12:06 PM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: NWofNYC]
woodsman Offline

Loc: Ovid/Ithaca
it's actually true- the sources are everywhere, so citing them is pointless- do a little searching of your own and you'll find it all on public record

#913401 --- 11/06/08 05:15 PM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: NWofNYC]
P Offline

Loc: Fingerlakes ny
Originally Posted By: NWofNYC

Ah yes, Tim Wise. The self-flagellating, white male from Nashville.

He sure has found a niche market. Kinda like writing children's books or advertising jingles.

Do you, (or does he), have any footnotes or sources for this "copy/paste" extravaganza? Or did he just pick it all up from Sirius Left-Channel 146?

I as yourself was somewhat reserved on the validity of this article..... so I researched it for myself. Sadly it is all accurate. You may not like it but thats the problem as I stated... ignorance to facts are more popular than learning the TRUTH. Get some education... it may help your kids!!!!!

#916364 --- 11/11/08 11:21 PM Re: Thank You Geneva for Voting [Re: P]
jello_biafra Offline

Loc: geneva ny
yeah soverign king youre exactly right. People who voted for Obama because he was black are ignorant. I am a white male 31 yrs old, I voted for him because he comes across as a great leader and a highly intellegent man. Best man for the job!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >