FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#910051 --- 11/02/08 12:41 PM Re: Building 12 on the Lakefront [Re: Miatasportscar]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Miatasportscar
I don't think it's any of your business why I moved here...but I will say this: "I LOVE IT!!!!Especially because of the natural beauty that surrounds me." Again, it's none of your business why I moved here. Stick to building "12" issues.....

Then should it be your business if you do not live or pay taxes in the City of Geneva?

Could one reason be that you moved from the city to the town was lower taxes?

You do not mind paying lower town taxes but still having use of the "city" lake front. Odd?

Did you protest when the town of Geneva wanted to develop any of the land along "their" waterfront?

Why not let the city of Geneva develop all 60 acres and then have the town of Geneva buy back 60 acres of lakefront in the town for public use? ----Or would your taxes go up?

Did your supervisor "alter" the tax assessment of a town property from $10 million down to $6 million? ---the newspaper article stated that is the reason the previous tax assessor left.

The city of Geneva loses money by this "deflated" lower assessment.

The town of Geneva recently lost in court regarding paying the same water/sewer rates that city residents pay. How about the town reimburse the city for the last 30 years of "deflated" water/sewer rates so the city does not have to develop the lakefront? ----- or would your taxes go up?

I ran some numbers and found that the city loses around $2 million in taxes per year with this space being "natural" but yet the town residents have every inch of their waterfront developed and are happy to collect taxes for these developed town properties. This would equal about $1,400 more per house in the town per year. Would you be willing to pay $1,400 more per year to keep it "natural"?

Should the city charge non city residents a fee to use the lake front in order to keep this view undeveloped as they do in Canandaigua lakeshore park?

or set up "toll" booths along 5/20 and charge to experience the view in order to keep this "natural".

FingerLakes1.com
#910062 --- 11/02/08 01:12 PM Re: Building 12 on the Lakefront [Re: Qwill Pen]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Loc: Geneva
Originally Posted By: caseyseneca
I am not talking about the Ramada, Taxpayer, nor do I care what you as an individual are bothered or not bothered about about.

Yes, you do care or we wouldn't be having these discussions.

I am talking about the future and those who inherit what we do - our children, grandchildren and beyond.

I do care about what the future holds for my kids. My kids will inherit the house, it will be fully paid for and if they decide to stay in the city and New York they will hopefully be able to afford to do so with a much broader tax base.

Hopefully my kids won't be still paying the debt that has been accrued due to moving Routes 5&20 to make room for devlopment like we are still doing now.

You can be as sarcastic as you like, and you seem to love being sarcastic.

Thank you and yes.

teh fact remains that with offices and with living spaces comes additional stress on the environment and the surroundings. What is tolerable now with the Ramada would increase many fold with residential area and with office buildings.

Wouldn't the so called additional stress be created on the environment no matter where new development took place? The colleges aren't going to fully support this city the way they should so there isn't really alot of options.

Look to the future. That area is a great asset to this area as a whole. Let it remain for development in a green and pleasant environmentally friendly place, i.e., gardens, nature park, etc.

I am looking towards the future. All but 5 acres will be preserved as a park, with an addition of a public beach/swimming area and marina. The walking/bicycling paths will still be maintained. We are not losing what we have now. What we have now will see a much needed enhancement of the area.

I hope for your own sake, that once in a while you have a pleasant thought, or give a smile to someone.

Please, don't worry about my sake, worry about you. I am a pleasant and positive person. Who knows, maybe our paths have crossed and I did pass along a smile. But thank you for your concern.

#910108 --- 11/02/08 02:27 PM Re: Building 12 on the Lakefront [Re: bluezone]
Miatasportscar Offline

Loc: Geneva, NY
Bluzone:
You do not know what property I own or did own both in Geneva and Town. As to why I moved here, like I said it's none of your business. Go to another subject.....stop ranting and raving, your question was "Why did you move here?" My answer is it is none of your business why I moved here.

Edited by Miatasportscar (11/02/08 02:30 PM)

#910210 --- 11/02/08 04:10 PM Re: Building 12 on the Lakefront [Re: Miatasportscar]
SFisWonderful Offline

Loc: NEW YORK
I say build it, the BIGGER the BETTER! Let the building be 60-70-80 stories high! Let the people from Watkins Glen see this monster. Every successful town or city incorporates their waterfront, not turn their back on it, as Geneva has done. As this beautiful building is being built, build a pedestrian overpass so that people can safely walk back and forth from the lake to the condos and other commercial buildings.

When the Ramada has live bands on fridays, the place is packed.

#910570 --- 11/03/08 08:26 AM Re: Building 12 on the Lakefront [Re: Miatasportscar]
Wally Offline

Loc: Ontario County
Mia... you seem to have questioned my credentials so I thought a few points from my qualifications might help. I don't know who you are, but for you to say you have been or seen more waterfronts then me is probably foolish. Having traveled and worked in the field of oceanography for most of my life, I really doubt that is a valid point, so cross that one off your list. I have seen all sorts of waterfronts (good and bad). Your point of blocking the view and destroying Geneva's lakefront is ridiculous. You act as if the lake will disappear all together. The plan calls for 95% of the lake to be left wide open and that will still give Geneva one of, if not, the largest OPEN PUBLIC city waterfronts in New York State, if not the entire country. What is proposed is a way to utilized our best asset to the best advantage of Geneva, while at the same time having the lease amount of disruption to the lakefront. The area in front of the proposed building is still public (by law). If you took the time to even consider another point of view (I don't really expect that by the way), you might realize that even if the proposed building was built (and the final building won't be anywhere near that large), you still would have most of the lake view anyways because the majority of the view is over the Ramada parking lot or behind the other buildings on Exchange St. The city has had at least 3 major studies over the past 40 years on the lakefront that have ALL stated that connecting the city to the lake is critical to the growth of Geneva's tourist trade. People talk about those plans being a "waste of money", but they will only be a waste of money if we don't listen to what the EXPERTS say. These are the people who do this for a living say! For you to think that simply keeping things as they are and the city will begin to draw tourists is foolish (it's not working now). Let's stop being the "GATEWAY" to the Finger Lakes where people drive though and start being a DESTINATION where they come and stay.

#910657 --- 11/03/08 10:22 AM Re: Building 12 on the Lakefront [Re: bluezone]
metsno1 Offline

Originally Posted By: bluezone

Should the city charge non city residents a fee to use the lake front

Absolutely 100% YES. But only with regard to a public beach. We should most definitely charge non-residents a fee, just as they do in Canandaigua.

IMO, all other areas of the lakefront should be open and free of charge.

#910876 --- 11/03/08 01:31 PM Re: Building 12 on the Lakefront [Re: metsno1]
kimmer Offline

Loc: here,there and back again
How will you charge someone a fee to use the lakefront if they come in from their boat? How about if they pay the state park fee, in Seneca Co, and walk along the bath to the "Geneva" lakefront? I'm not familiar with the charges in Canandaigua. Do you only enter the lakefront area from one place? Just curious.....

#910943 --- 11/03/08 02:22 PM Re: Building 12 on the Lakefront [Re: kimmer]
metsno1 Offline

The beach I'm referring to in Canandaigua is only accessed via a single entrance, which consists of a small brick building that houses two locker areas (I believe with showers), and an office in the center, with a walk-through that you use to access the beach itself. It's a pretty attractive building, and they charge $3.00 or so for non-residents. The beach is staffed with lifeguards and is maintained by their Recreation department. There are (fairly attractive) fences on either side of the beach area that prevent the walk-ins.

I would propose the following fee schedule for admission:

City Residents (with city issued ID)-Free

Non-Residents- $3.00 per person (maybe with a family Max of $10)

Town of Geneva Residents- $18.00 Each.

\:\) \:\) \:\)

#910970 --- 11/03/08 03:18 PM Re: Building 12 on the Lakefront [Re: metsno1]
kimmer Offline

Loc: here,there and back again
ok, thanks. It seems fair enough to charge non-residents. Would the city issued ID cost anything?

Off topic a little, but does anyone else think the picture in the google ad "who's more likely to cheat: mccain or obama?" look funny. Michelle looks she's scolding Barack, like don't you dare cheat or I'll whoop your butt and Cindy is saying Did you do it again??? Well, did you?

#911047 --- 11/03/08 04:36 PM Re: Building 12 on the Lakefront [Re: kimmer]
Redbutch Offline

Canandaigua charges residents $1.00 for a laminated photo ID that they can use the whole summer. One-time fee.

Charging the town residents...love it! I had to laugh out loud!

I think that the proposed development on the lakefront is essential to building Geneva as the destination it deserves to be. I went to college here 14 years ago and just recently moved back because of everything Geneva currently has to offer. Imagine the possibilities if we have more! And I wouldn't mind having a big building on the lakefront...anything that distracts the eye from the Ramada's parking lot. I just hope they incorporate a dog beach...my kids would be so happy!

#911133 --- 11/03/08 05:14 PM Re: Building 12 on the Lakefront [Re: Miatasportscar]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Bluzone:
You do not know what property I own or did own both in Geneva and Town.

Checked the county records and it shows you only have one property in the town.

is the 2nd number of your house a -- 1?
is the 2nd letter of the road you live on a -- U?
is the 2nd number of your recently paid tax bill a -- 9?
is the 2nd letter of your first name an -- E?

\:\) \:o

Wonder if the town will spend $11 million for their own water treatment plant?

The city of Geneva should quadruple the connection/usage fee for water/sewer for new 70 room motel that will be built between tractor supply and cole muffler in the town.

#911138 --- 11/03/08 05:16 PM Re: Building 12 on the Lakefront [Re: Miatasportscar]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Bluzone:
.... why I moved here.

Would you be willing to pay in additional $1,400 per year to keep the lakefront natural?

#911140 --- 11/03/08 05:16 PM Re: Building 12 on the Lakefront [Re: bluezone]
SFisWonderful Offline

Bluzone:
You do not know what property I own or did own both in Geneva and Town.

Checked the county records and it shows you only have one property in the town.

is the 2nd number of your house a -- 1?
is the 2nd letter of the road you live on a -- U?
is the 2nd number of your recently paid tax bill a -- 9?
is the 2nd letter of your first name an -- E?

Wonder if the town will spend $11 million for their own water treatment plant?

The city of Geneva should quadruple the connection/usage fee for water/sewer for new 70 room motel that will be built between tractor supply and cole muffler in the town.

Spooooky. and I thought halloween was all over with. or maybe bluezone is david copperfield! whats the 2nd letter of the road I live on?

#911148 --- 11/03/08 05:20 PM Re: Building 12 on the Lakefront [Re: SFisWonderful]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: SFisWonderful
:
Spooooky. and I thought halloween was all over with. or maybe bluezone is david copperfield! whats the 2nd letter of the road I live on?

Want to know the last 5 calls you made?

;\)

#911194 --- 11/03/08 05:43 PM Re: Building 12 on the Lakefront [Re: bluezone]
SFisWonderful Offline

Originally Posted By: SFisWonderful
:

Want to know the last 5 calls you made?

;\)

surre!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4