FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#896282 --- 10/09/08 09:09 AM Female Patient Sexually Assaulted 10/08/08
sparky's back Offline

Loc: At Home..in the kitchen!!

(WSYR-TV) Syracuse, New York (WSYR-TV) - Syracuse Police say a contract worker at Crouse Hospital sexually assaulted a 45-year-old female patient at the hospital last Thursday.

The victim was assaulted around 11 PM in her room at the hospital.

Syracuse Police say the suspect, 23-year-old Jamison Adsit of Liverpool, is not an employee of the hospital. He is a contract worker with Express Personnel, and was a “safety companion” at the hospital.

Police say “safety companions” are people who are at the hospital who sit with patients that are of a diminished mental capacity. Adsit started working for the program in early August.

Adsit was caught allegedly assaulting the patient when another employee came to the patient’s room. Police say the victim was checked into Crouse the day before the assault. Hospital officials say they have not received any other reports of incidents.

Adsit has been charged with second degree criminal sex act, and arraigned in Syracuse City Court.

A Crouse Hospital spokesperson says they're changing protocols based on this incident. From now on, male "safety companions" will only be allowed to watch male patients, and female "safety companions" will only be allowed to watch female patients.

Crouse Hospital started using Express Personnel workers in January. The hospital uses between 20 and 25 "safety companions", all of whom work on a per-diem basis.

The hospital spokesman says Adsit went through an extensive background check, and there was nothing on his record.

FingerLakes1.com
#896290 --- 10/09/08 09:31 AM Re: Female Patient Sexually Assaulted 10/08/08 [Re: sparky's back]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Someplace Else
These things make me so sad for the victim. And what were they thinking anyway? I would have thought same-sex "safety companions" would have been the standard from the beginning!

#896293 --- 10/09/08 09:33 AM Re: Female Patient Sexually Assaulted 10/08/08 [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
sparky's back Offline

Loc: At Home..in the kitchen!!
Even with a clean background..you can never be sure.

#896300 --- 10/09/08 09:39 AM Re: Female Patient Sexually Assaulted 10/08/08 [Re: sparky's back]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Exactly. It just makes sense. Not that I blame the hospital entirely, but this is definitely closing the barn door after the horse....

#896326 --- 10/09/08 10:04 AM Re: Female Patient Sexually Assaulted 10/08/08 [Re: sparky's back]
The Mask Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Hidden Harbor

I would have thought same-sex "safety companions" unless they are gay, then it is opposite sex and only children for children?

Originally Posted By: sparky's back
Even with a clean background..you can never be sure.

#896328 --- 10/09/08 10:11 AM Re: Female Patient Sexually Assaulted 10/08/08 [Re: The Mask]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Your point is well taken, Mask. But this is a very basic precaution and certainly only a first step. Nothing is fool proof but you simply don't find female "companions" or nurses aides or orderlies or whatever impregnating male clients. But I do appreciate that deviants will be deviants and no system will catch them all. Unfortunately

#896347 --- 10/09/08 10:37 AM Re: Female Patient Sexually Assaulted 10/08/08 [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
The Mask Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Hidden Harbor

I hope this case doesn't turn out to be that horrible, but I do agree with you that taking this step is better than doing nothing at all, and probable should have already been taken, looking at it as you do.

It is just to bad that one sicko can limit the power and maybe even the success of such a good program.

#896349 --- 10/09/08 10:43 AM Re: Female Patient Sexually Assaulted 10/08/08 [Re: The Mask]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Agreed.

#896366 --- 10/09/08 11:53 AM Re: Female Patient Sexually Assaulted 10/08/08 [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sunny and warm
Safety Companion? Good Lord.....yeah he was a safety companion alright. What a sicko!