Shows Plans for Main St. Gas Station
Former K of C to be Rebuilt
Plan to Raise Sidewalk Level to Accommodate Cars
An indication of the proposed improvements to the site of the Old Knights of Columbus home on Main Street, opposite the Armory was given last evening when drawings of a building to be erected there were presented for the inspection of the Common Council.
K. L. Smith presented a petition to the Council for permission to erect a gasoline station on the site. In support of his petition he presented an architects drawing which revealed that the proposed station will be a pretentious affair.
One of the radical changes in the site will be the raising of the sidewalk in front of the building. At present the walk is below the street level and aldermen pointed out last evening that the raising of the sidewalk would be a long-awaited improvement in that part of the street.
The central portion of the proposed building will be set back from the sidewalk a considerable distance so that cars parking for service will not obstruct the walk. The two wings on either side of the semi-circular set-back will be used for storage purposes, it is planned. It is understood that an alley will lead from the street to the rear of the building so that cars may be taken off the street for service.
The construction of the new station will round out that section as a business block and will mark the end of the "Coursey Home", a well known landmark in this city for many years.
Geneva Daily Times, July 8, 1927
Edited by the librarian (10/09/08 09:33 AM)