FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#905846 --- 10/27/08 10:02 PM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: Samuel]
Ovidian Offline
Silver Member

Loc: gone
PJ has a forced air system in his house and he told me he turns off the furnace and use that to circulate the heat from his coal stove.

FingerLakes1.com
#905969 --- 10/27/08 11:51 PM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: donedirtcheap]
Rascal Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brewerton, NY, USA
Originally Posted By: donedirtcheap
I really feel bad for those poor folks who filled up their tanks with fuel oil for close to $4 a gallon in august thinking it was going to get higher and now its down to close to 2.50 a gallon....thay must be pretty PO I love the constant steady heat my stove provides...makes me forget Im living in a house that was built in 1812 And I have the drafts to prove it.

What about the folks that as recently as 6 weeks ago signed long term contracts with their energy supplier at then gas rates, heating oil rates.

I had a guy representing Niagra Mohawk walk to my house asking me if we wanted to lock in the rate at the time. I laughed at his face. He looked confused when I informed him that enery prices were cyclical. I will never, ever forget what I paid last month, used last month, to numb my next energy bill shock.

That's the exact same thing as paying the minimum payment on your next 25% credit card balance due.

The time to lock in prices is exactly when they're not soliciting your action to do so. Like now!

Edited by Rascal (10/27/08 11:53 PM)

#906526 --- 10/28/08 05:15 PM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: Ovidian]
Samuel Offline

Loc: Potter, NY
Originally Posted By: Ovidian
PJ has a forced air system in his house and he told me he turns off the furnace and use that to circulate the heat from his coal stove.

I was thinking of that. PJ How did you set it up to turn on and off?

#906683 --- 10/28/08 07:36 PM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: Samuel]
Plainjim Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
My home heating thermostat is set on AC. When the temp in the living room gets up to the set temp the blower for the furnace comes on without heat, and moves the heat around.
I was going to install central air when I built the new house but never did. I do have the heating and cooling thermostat.
When it's really cold in the dead of winter I put the furnace on and let it blow heat around. We only find it necessary to do that a couple nights each winter. We heat a new 1420 square ft. house with a 40,000 BTU Alaska coal stove.
By the way I put the coal stove in my old house in 1985, then in the new house when we built it about 5 years ago.

#908004 --- 10/30/08 10:14 AM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: Plainjim]
Samuel Offline

Originally Posted By: Plainjim
My home heating thermostat is set on AC. When the temp in the living room gets up to the set temp the blower for the furnace comes on without heat, and moves the heat around.
I was going to install central air when I built the new house but never did. I do have the heating and cooling thermostat.
When it's really cold in the dead of winter I put the furnace on and let it blow heat around. We only find it necessary to do that a couple nights each winter. We heat a new 1420 square ft. house with a 40,000 BTU Alaska coal stove.
By the way I put the coal stove in my old house in 1985, then in the new house when we built it about 5 years ago.

We put ours in last fall when the price of a gallon of fuel was $4.00. Even though that price has gone down I still think coal is the way to go. I can heat my house for 4-5 dollars a day. If the coal stove happens to go out the furnace will kick on. I enjoy the 75 degree living room.

#908234 --- 10/30/08 03:52 PM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: Samuel]
Ovidian Offline
Silver Member

I've started digging in my back yard for my own coal. I havent found any yet but I'm only down 7ft so far. I'm pretty sure there is a vein of it down there some where as I've just recently found some laying on top of the ground out back by a rabbit trail.

#908251 --- 10/30/08 04:10 PM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: Ovidian]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Southend {Mars}
I would burn what you found and see how much heat you get. If it burns hot, I have some cat box residual all ready in a bag for ya.

#908287 --- 10/30/08 05:23 PM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: Buddy]
Ovidian Offline
Silver Member

Ewwwwwwww! Why would I burn cat poop? I think your slipping a little there Buddy!

#908313 --- 10/30/08 06:07 PM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: Ovidian]
Samuel Offline

I've started digging in my back yard for my own coal. I havent found any yet but I'm only down 7ft so far. I'm pretty sure there is a vein of it down there some where as I've just recently found some laying on top of the ground out back by a rabbit trail.

I think maybe the rabbits dug up an old ash pile from years gone bye. Don't think you will hit any coal veins. But what the heck. Look at what happened to Jed Clampet.

#908339 --- 10/30/08 06:44 PM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: Ovidian]
donedirtcheap Offline

Loc: boondocks

If ya could burn shale youd of already hit paydirt....LOL

#908340 --- 10/30/08 06:44 PM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: Samuel]
Akisma Woodchuck Offline

Loc: American Freedom Fighter
how messy is it to get rid of the coal ash and how often do you have to dump it?

#908352 --- 10/30/08 06:52 PM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: Akisma Woodchuck]
Ovidian Offline
Silver Member

Its not messy and more importantly there are no lit embers when you remove the ash pan from the stove. The ash is dead before it even falls off the burn trough in to the pan. Right now I'm dumping ash every two to three days. I remember a while back someone took their ash pan from their woodstove and set it on the deck. Guess what happened next?

Edited by Ovidian (10/30/08 06:54 PM)

#908359 --- 10/30/08 06:56 PM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: Ovidian]
Akisma Woodchuck Offline

Loc: American Freedom Fighter
thanks for the info. I think I am going to do the coal stove deal.

#908363 --- 10/30/08 07:01 PM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: Akisma Woodchuck]
Samuel Offline

Originally Posted By: Akisma Haryaz
how messy is it to get rid of the coal ash and how often do you have to dump it?

It's not bad. About every three days, as Ovidian says, just open the door and slowly scoop them out into a metal pail. The draft of the fire pulls in most of the dust. For what dust you do get I say big deal. You can heat an average house for 3-4 dollars a day. I think it is well worth carrying in a bucket and scooping some ashes.

#908367 --- 10/30/08 07:07 PM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: Samuel]
Ovidian Offline
Silver Member

You don't have an ash pan for your stove? Is it a stoker? I just pull the pan and toss it in the direction the wind blows.

#908459 --- 10/30/08 08:41 PM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: Ovidian]
Samuel Offline

You don't have an ash pan for your stove? Is it a stoker? I just pull the pan and toss it in the direction the wind blows.

I do have a removable ash pan, that I removed. It was too difficult to carry it out across a new carpet. Now I have a small throw rug in front of the stove and scoop the ashes into a metal pail. Much easier to get out the door.

#909923 --- 11/02/08 07:29 AM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: Samuel]
Plainjim Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
Sam, I'm guessing you have a hand find fired stove as apposed to a stoker fed stove? Many hand fired stoves have a very shallow pan that's not easy to carry if it's very full.

The stoker stoves all have nice deep ash pans. Simply pull the full one out and slide in an empty one. It takes 20 seconds.

We spread the ashes on our gravel driveway. It's a great help for traction on snow and ice too.

#909980 --- 11/02/08 09:42 AM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: Plainjim]
Samuel Offline

Originally Posted By: Plainjim
Sam, I'm guessing you have a hand find fired stove as apposed to a stoker fed stove? Many hand fired stoves have a very shallow pan that's not easy to carry if it's very full.

The stoker stoves all have nice deep ash pans. Simply pull the full one out and slide in an empty one. It takes 20 seconds.

We spread the ashes on our gravel driveway. It's a great help for traction on snow and ice too.

It is a Hitzer coal stove. Very nice one at that. I juts tended it, shook it down and it will be good till 8 O'clock tonight. It does have a wide flat ash pan (removed). I just scooped out all the ashes and yes I spread them on my driveway for traction as well. After a while I will make an ash pile somewhere. In digging several post holes and the like I have discovered many old ash piles of days gone by.

#912069 --- 11/05/08 12:04 AM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: nycndybarman]
MSmith Offline

Loc: NY
Townley Coal, just got in a truck load. Call and leave message or be there Sat. 8-2

#912781 --- 11/05/08 07:53 PM Re: Any wood pellets for sale? [Re: Samuel]
paramedic268 Offline

Loc: Phelps NY
Wal Mart Geneva has pellets, at 300/ton. I did not have to get any this year. The new house has a pellet stove upstairs, and a wood burner downstairs, guess we will see how this winter goes before we look at alternative heating for next year

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >