FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#895190 --- 10/06/08 08:04 PM Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids
Rexx Offline

Loc: NY
There's a post on this forum that pretty much rakes all the Hobart College kids through the mud. I am here to defend them. Even though I am not one of the students I think that Geneva should consider itself blessed that these bright young men and women have chosen to attend Hobart and William Smith Colleges.
Not only do the college kids bring intelligence with them to our city but they support our local businesses which in turn helps small business owners and boosts Geneva's economy.
So what - a lot of them like to party? If certain people have a problem with that then why don't they politely ask the college kids in their neighborhoods to keep it down a bit? Rather than post negative things here about a small fraction of the college and make the whole college look bad, why don't you just kindly ask them to not be so loud? If you take this approach and it continues or worsens, then by all means call the police. Or learn to live with it. We all have annoyances in our neighborhoods, whether it's dogs barking or someone playing music too loud or someone using power tools, etc. For crying out loud, Extreme Makeover was here not long ago and made some noise but it was for a good cause and it's all over now, right? Was it really that bad?
We should accept and embrace people who come to this city and bring their business to our community - not post things that will offend them and drive them away. My sister in law lives right near Syracuse airport and I assure you, the noise she deals with is a hell of a lot worse than anything that neighbors of Hobart College experience. She herself said she knew that when she bought the house that the noise was part of the package. So to those of you "complainers" who live close to the college - it is what it is, folks - and if you don't like it and can't or won't adapt to it, then maybe you ought to move? Just a thought...

FingerLakes1.com
#895235 --- 10/06/08 11:27 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Rexx]
SFisWonderful Offline

Loc: NEW YORK
Originally Posted By: Rexx
There's a post on this forum that pretty much rakes all the Hobart College kids through the mud. I am here to defend them. Even though I am not one of the students I think that Geneva should consider itself blessed that these bright young men and women have chosen to attend Hobart and William Smith Colleges.
Not only do the college kids bring intelligence with them to our city but they support our local businesses which in turn helps small business owners and boosts Geneva's economy.
So what - a lot of them like to party? If certain people have a problem with that then why don't they politely ask the college kids in their neighborhoods to keep it down a bit? Rather than post negative things here about a small fraction of the college and make the whole college look bad, why don't you just kindly ask them to not be so loud? If you take this approach and it continues or worsens, then by all means call the police. Or learn to live with it. We all have annoyances in our neighborhoods, whether it's dogs barking or someone playing music too loud or someone using power tools, etc. For crying out loud, Extreme Makeover was here not long ago and made some noise but it was for a good cause and it's all over now, right? Was it really that bad?
We should accept and embrace people who come to this city and bring their business to our community - not post things that will offend them and drive them away. My sister in law lives right near Syracuse airport and I assure you, the noise she deals with is a hell of a lot worse than anything that neighbors of Hobart College experience. She herself said she knew that when she bought the house that the noise was part of the package. So to those of you "complainers" who live close to the college - it is what it is, folks - and if you don't like it and can't or won't adapt to it, then maybe you ought to move? Just a thought...

The parents and students are attending this private college should know what the expectations are. Why not save everyone a lot of money if you just want to party? You can buy a lot of booze and drugs for $25,000/semester. If you want to party, stay home and drive your parents BMW/Lexus/SAAB around your own town and be a loser.

#895313 --- 10/07/08 05:26 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: SFisWonderful]
Sweetcakes Offline

Loc: Southeast of Disorder
Um wonder if its ot for the gpd to keep these parties in check?

#895352 --- 10/07/08 06:44 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Sweetcakes]
Genevan Offline

Loc: Geneva
Is it because you think what you have to say is more important than others that you replicate a thread already open on this subject?

#895413 --- 10/07/08 09:30 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Rexx]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

It's good to know that since they come here and spend money they should be entitled to a free for all.

I don't know if a study was ever done to see if the students out spend what the city loses in property tax revenue.

#895482 --- 10/07/08 11:34 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Taxpayer14456]
coffeemamma Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
It isn't just the students' money. Hundreds of people make their living at the colleges and that money also gets spent locally.

#895486 --- 10/07/08 11:38 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: coffeemamma]
Anonymous
Unregistered

let me get this straight.
because these students spend some money around town they can drink illegally, party as loudly as they like and no one should say anything?

Gee that sounds pretty fair..NOT

#895495 --- 10/07/08 11:55 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: ]
ghost7 Offline

Loc: geneva ny
LET ME CLUE YOU IN ON THESE ANGELS, I OWN A INCOME PROPERTY IN THAT AREA AND I TRAVEL THRU THE AREA TO GET TO MY HOME.........

DRIVE DOWN PULTNEY ST WHEN THESE KIDS ARE CROSSING THE STREET. I KNOW YEILD TO THE PEDESTRIAN..... THEY DONT EVEN LOOK BEFORE STEPING INTO THE CROSSWALK THEY JUST WALK NO MATTER HOW FAST YOU ARE DRIVING THEY JUST STEP OUT.

NOW THE VANDALISIM I'LL PUT MY INCOME PROPERTY UP AGAINST ANYONE'S HOME ON THIS FORUM. THEY STEAL PLANTS CHAIRS ETC.ETC. I HAD 1 HIT MY PORCH AT 30 + MPH AND DRIVE OFF.

PUT THE COLLEGE ON THE TAX ROLES AND I'LL TAKE THERE CRAP UNTIL THEN SCREW EM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#895526 --- 10/07/08 01:04 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Rexx]
shydog18 Offline

Loc: ny
rex i think you are the smartest man here who cares if they want to party people are just jelous that they dont have friends to do that with or are to old and think there s**t dont stink

#895528 --- 10/07/08 01:06 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: shydog18]
Coach64 Offline

Loc: Houghton, MI
hahahha.....you are the brightest bulb ever

#895613 --- 10/07/08 05:06 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Rexx]
Geneva_grl Offline

Loc: G-Town
I have to agree with Rexx. These kids DO spend their money here, as well as their parents. Last weekend was Family Weekend at the Colleges. The parents, I'm sure, took their child or children to dinner in town, not to mention that they stayed in local hotels. And, was anyone in Wegmans over the weekend? The parents buy their kids food and such when they are here for the weekend. Good for our local economy, right?

Not ALL HWS students are ardent partiers. Quite a number volunteer in the community: America Reads, Geneva Heroes, Days of Service, etc. Don't let a few "partiers" blur your vision of HWS students.

#895625 --- 10/07/08 05:35 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Rexx]
donedirtcheap Offline

Loc: boondocks
Yea they aint hurtin nothin..let em party your only young once..thats the time to get it out.....

#895633 --- 10/07/08 05:48 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: donedirtcheap]
Geneva_grl Offline

I'm wondering if all on here that attended college just sat in their dorm rooms or off-campus apartments and kept their noses in their books the ENTIRE time. I highly doubt that. I went to some pretty wild parties in Buffalo and Syracuse during my time in school.

#895637 --- 10/07/08 05:51 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Geneva_grl]
donedirtcheap Offline

Loc: boondocks
I accompnied a band once to a frat house at Alfred college..and let me tell ya it was one of the wildest partys Ive ever been too..was really alot like the Animal House deal to tell ya the truth...garbage can of Purple Jesus mix in the kitchen and numerous other activities I wont mention on here...but I was Impressed with it let me tell ya!!!!

#895654 --- 10/07/08 06:04 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: donedirtcheap]
Geneva_grl Offline

I remember one party at a friend's off-campus apartment. I think it was a Halloween party...hey, it was the 70s so I might have the theme of the party wrong here. But, one of the partiers lit an M80 into a trashcan,with the lid on,in the kitchen and all of a sudden ....KABOOM

#895655 --- 10/07/08 06:05 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Geneva_grl]
Sovereign King Offline

Loc: Auditioning on Broadway
...and you thought you had it bad in Geneva... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqwRVD7Ww_0

Does the lady at 1:11 post here?

#895656 --- 10/07/08 06:06 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Sovereign King]
Geneva_grl Offline

I don't think I have it bad in Geneva, at all.

#895659 --- 10/07/08 06:09 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Geneva_grl]
Sovereign King Offline

...that wasn't directed to anybody in particular, just used the quick reply box...

#895732 --- 10/07/08 07:49 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Geneva_grl]
hooka420 Offline

I don't comment a lot on these forums, but when I saw this, I HAD to post! Unlike most towns with colleges/universities in them, Geneva can survive...and does when these college students are not in the town. I went to college in a town that when we left for the summer basically shut down, it was like a ghost town. Geneva is not like that and I would even go as far as to say that we could definitely make it without them. I agree that Hobart/ William Smith does provide some of our own Genevans with jobs through housekeeping, grounds, the Scandling Center and so on. But in that same breath, I would have to say that the students that I have come in contact with have been condescending and arrogant towards people who live in this town on a regular basis, which I find to be quite atrocious. Like I said, I went to college and I would have never thought to treat the people who lived in that town with disrespect...but then again, my mommy and daddy didn't pay to send me to college (I payed for my own tuition) and I didn't have the benefit of driving my beamer to school everyday... in fact, I was lucky if I had a bike or even a pair of roller skates! \:\)

I am sure there are good, well mannered Hobart and William Smith students but the abundance of rotten apples outweigh the nice and shiny ones!

#895839 --- 10/08/08 06:40 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Rexx]
colorado Offline

Loc: NY USA
Most of us have gone to college and we did not spend all our time in the library. Partying is part of the college experience for most of the college students. YES, some of the students are arogant but that is their way of life; you cannot blame them for how they act at times, that is the way they were brought up. Is it right, maybe not. Money is a wonderful thing and it affords a great life for those who have it but it can send the wrong message to those who are not as fortunate. Sooo, if the partying is too much, you either address it with the party or call the cops and hopefully they will take care of it ( until the next time). I love living in a college town, there is always something going on. I am a college graduate and I did some partying and I would not take that away from the college students, it is a part of the college experience.

#895865 --- 10/08/08 07:56 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: colorado]
metsno1 Offline

Kids in college having parties that get out of hand?

Stunning. Completely unpredictable.

OK, they're wrong for engaging in behavior that disturbs others-and neighbors should use any means necessary to get them to comply with the laws, or even just to be decent neighbors. That's part of what's necessary in a college (ANY college) neighborhood. It's not what it should be, but it is what it is-and I highly doubt that any complaints on an anonymous forum will elicit any change in that regard.

But the ridiculous comments on this thread that make HWS students out to be this huge group of spoiled, rude, antisocial brats are way out of line. But that's typical here. People seem to think that it's OK to have some bad experiences with a small percentage of the student population and then cast them all in the same microcosmic-and invariably negative-light.

Yup, you're all correct. These HWS kids are crappy little spoiled brats who won't amount to anything because they're disrespectful little turds who only know how to survive when Mommy and Daddy give them their tuition money and a BMW.

Don't you get it? It isn't ALL students who do this. And not EVERY kid has a BMW or a silver spoon of any sort. There are an absolute ton of kids at that school who bust their a$$ in order to get a decent education, behave appropriately the vast majority of the time, and contribute positively. Most of us-if we actually took the time to meet them-would be glad to have them in our community. This group of kids is far larger than the ones who cause the problems.

But the HWS-bashers don't want to hear that. They're happier bashing the Colleges for being off the tax roles and focusing on how a few select kids have had a negative impact on them personally.

Typical Geneva myopia.

#895872 --- 10/08/08 08:16 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: metsno1]
tubby Offline

Loc: N.Y.
70% of students recieve financial aid http://www.collegeprofiles.com/hobart-will-smith.html

#895907 --- 10/08/08 10:11 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: tubby]
Sovereign King Offline

Thanks tubby, is is pretty ignorant for someone to assume because a school costs X, the kids are spoiled and mommy and daddy are paying for it.

#895945 --- 10/08/08 11:34 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: tubby]
stranger1 Offline

Loc: Easy St., Land of the Free
Originally Posted By: tubby
70% of students recieve financial aid http://www.collegeprofiles.com/hobart-will-smith.html

I think a lot of people remember the days before so many of the students received financial aid and there were a bunch of rich kids running around campus and town. I do. It really is different now and I have to say that the higher percentage of the students are also pretty well-behaved most of the time. Of course there are exceptions and, of course, there are parties. Add alcohol to any group and things can get out of hand.

I'm in contact with them daily and haven't met many that are "condescending and arrogant". No more than other "kids" in that age group as whole anyway.

One last thing (hooka420), there are many other jobs at the colleges besides housekeeping, maintenance, and food service. Not there is anything wrong with those positions, but there are many other staff and administrative positions, too. I think somewhere around 500.

#896163 --- 10/08/08 07:00 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: stranger1]
Geneva_grl Offline

I, too, work at HWS in an administrative office. I am in contact daily with our students. They are WONDERFUL! And, trust me, they are not spoiled, rich kids. Most are on financial aid and work on campus in many administrative offices, from filing to giving tours to interviewing prospective students. Sure, there are some students who drive much nicer vehicles than we do, but most HWS students work in some capacity. There was a time when HWS was know as a "rich kids" school, but that hasn't been the case in many years now.

#896246 --- 10/08/08 09:19 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Geneva_grl]
Sweetcakes Offline

Loc: Southeast of Disorder
LOL I remember that one

#897772 --- 10/12/08 01:14 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: tubby]
Laurence Offline

Loc: New York, USA

That is incredible. If you look at this site it's mostly federal money - - taxpayer money...so the public pays for the loans, and pays the 50% of the property taxes that Hobart doesn't pay. It's a pretty good deal for Hobart and the students...no so much for taxpayers.

#897776 --- 10/12/08 01:47 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Laurence]
Sovereign King Offline

...Oh jeez, it's like that with every school.... If you don't like it, you can always move to a town that doesn't have a college.... Or you can be miserable trying to preach to the college kids to respect you because, you the tax payer pay for their education... Or better yet forget about and live your life, because even all you don't think it is right, that is the way it is...

#897807 --- 10/12/08 02:56 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Laurence]
Geneva_grl Offline

You aren't the one who will be paying back their student loans. Why begrudge students who want an education and can only receive their education through financial aid, work study and student loans.

#898268 --- 10/13/08 09:34 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Geneva_grl]
Qwill Pen Offline

Loc: New York
I don't think anyone begrudges them an education when they are working hard at it. It is the ones who fake the ID's, get arrested, cause problems in neighborhoods and (dare I say it) commit felony crimes against women and cost the taxpayers hundres of thousands of dollars to prosecute them - and then more money to incarcerate them. One apple can taint the name of a barrel of apples.

I grant the majority are kids working at an education. But it is the lack of the college cracking down on the trouble makers that is costly to the taxpayer. And it should not be that way.

#898290 --- 10/13/08 10:51 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Qwill Pen]
Genevan Offline

The trend for schools (even state institutions) across the country is to contract out security, environmental & safety services to large corporations such as Sodexho so that they can reduce liability. Should it be that way? Do such trends limit transparency of the concerns you have just raised?

#898322 --- 10/13/08 11:36 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Qwill Pen]
metsno1 Offline

Originally Posted By: caseyseneca
One apple can taint the name of a barrel of apples.

Can it? Of course.

Should it? Of course not.

The whole "one bad apple" theory is perpetuated only by active choice of the person who ignorantly decides to lump everyone into the same category. That's the exact same logic that perpetuates racial stereotypes and prejudice in general.

So, while you're absolutely right that this sort of "one bad apple" thinking does permeate, you're also pointing out the possibility of changing the way we think. Perhaps-if we're going to be judgmental at all-we should actually evaluate individuals by their solitary actions rather than evaluating or characterizing a whole group by the actions of a relative few.

IMO, the problems that are being discussed here aren't really the fault of the Colleges or their student bodies in general. They're the fault of a few, immature legal adults who haven't yet learned to control their own behavior. And if they cause problems for you, you should deal with them the way you would deal with anyone else who caused you similar problems. Confront them in a mature and positive manner. If that doesn't work, get the police involved the next time without providing them with any additional warnings. If they're trying to get into your bar with a fake ID, have them arrested. And so on. You're not powerless, but sometimes you have to be a persistent pain in the a$$ to get anything accomplished. That's just the way it is. If you feel like the College administrators would be helpful in deterring future problems, then bring them into the process as well.

The fact that it costs money to prosecute these individuals and then incarcerate them has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they happen to be college students. You aren't suggesting that if the colleges weren't here that we wouldn't have any of these problems, are you? Because last I heard, outside of the Wido conviction, the most serious crimes here in Geneva were not committed by members of the College community.

#898431 --- 10/13/08 05:23 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Qwill Pen]
Geneva_grl Offline

HWS isn't the only school where these things happen. They happen on EVERY college campus (and off-campus). There is only so much that the Colleges can do, and these students (the ones that do get in some major trouble) are disciplined, either by the Deans or, in some cases, they are kicked out.

I wish all the nay-sayers on here could be around some of the students that I'm around on a daily basis. Then they would see the GOOD apples.

In the last few years, we have had a Rhodes Scholar (a William Smith woman), young men and women receiving Fulbrights and science fellowships. It's funny how a few immature students can wipe out all of the good things that happen at the Colleges. Look to the future, we will have more Rhodes Scholars, more Fulbrights and more science fellows.

#898630 --- 10/13/08 09:28 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Geneva_grl]
SFisWonderful Offline

Loc: NEW YORK
Originally Posted By: ghost7
DRIVE DOWN PULTNEY ST WHEN THESE KIDS ARE CROSSING THE STREET. I KNOW YEILD TO THE PEDESTRIAN..... THEY DONT EVEN LOOK BEFORE STEPING INTO THE CROSSWALK THEY JUST WALK NO MATTER HOW FAST YOU ARE DRIVING THEY JUST STEP OUT.

I did drive down Pultney St. They might as well make the whole street a cross walk. Every 5 ft theres a crosswalk section, god for bid you hit one of the college's moneymakers! who's at fault. YOU ARE. Pay attention! SPOILED KID X'ING AHEAD!

Why dont they just close that section off to the college.

#898663 --- 10/13/08 11:30 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: SFisWonderful]
metsno1 Offline

Originally Posted By: SFisWonderful
Every 5 ft theres a crosswalk section, god for bid you hit one of the college's moneymakers! who's at fault. YOU ARE. Pay attention! SPOILED KID X'ING AHEAD!

Why dont they just close that section off to the college.

Yeah, you're right. Giving those spoiled little brats a crosswalk is ridiculous. We should set up a toll for them to cross city streets so we can recoup all the millions of dollars the Colleges cost our community every year.

I mean, it'd be different if those Colleges created jobs, provided cultural opportunities, offered free access to a top-notch library, fielded quality sports teams that actually played here in town, filled our hotels many times a year, had students and faculty that supported local businesses, or any of those things really. But since none of that happens, let's rant about how inconvenient it is to deal with a crosswalk "every 5 ft." That'll make us feel better.

You'd almost think that the pedestrian, which is a big word for spoiled little college brat, had the right of way when they crossed the street.

Oh, wait a second.....they DO as long as they don't jump out in front of you [Section 1151, NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law]. But why let the logic of the law get in the way of a good rant, right?

#898714 --- 10/14/08 05:48 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: SFisWonderful]
Geneva_grl Offline

It is not only the kids that cross over Pulteney Street. Faculty and staff also have to cross there to get to the Post Office, the copy center, and to the dining facilities. These people are employees of the Colleges. Have we, also, no right to cross Pulteney Street? Or are we spoiled brat employees? SF unless you work or go to school there, you really have no clue.

Also, during the past year, there were extensive renovations made to the Scandling Center, which is the pulse of the campus, if you will, along with renovations to the Library. Of course,students, faculty and staff alike will be crossing Pulteney Street to get to these facilities. How else are they to get there? Fly, perhaps?

Have you ever tried to cross South Main Street, at the crosswalk, and ignorant people don't even stop? It's like taking your life in your hands every time you try to cross. These are CITY streets, they don't belong to the Colleges, and if drivers would just use the common courtesy to stop and let pedestrians cross, life would be much easier. No one is in that much of a hurry that they can't stop for a minute to let others cross these streets.

#898736 --- 10/14/08 08:08 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Geneva_grl]
Genevan Offline

Didn't a local run over a visiting scholars wife killing her at the corner of pultney 2 years ago?

#898775 --- 10/14/08 10:54 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Genevan]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Originally Posted By: Genevan
Didn't a local run over a visiting scholars wife killing her at the corner of pultney 2 years ago?

It was a truck driver who hit a college employee who was walking to work. Nice spin on things with the use of the words local and scholars wife.

#898794 --- 10/14/08 12:02 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Taxpayer14456]
Genevan Offline

What spin are you implying?

#898836 --- 10/14/08 02:18 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: SFisWonderful]
Geneve4072 Offline

First of all, not every kid that goes to Hobart and William Smith is a spoiled brat. Perhaps you are jealous that they were able to afford a better education than yourself? Anyway, it is a college, and students have to get to classes by crossing the street. This happens at colleges all over the world, and college students are not always going to look before they cross the street. This is not because they go to HWS and to imply so is simply ridiculous. If you do not work at or live in the area, then you really shouldn't complain. It's one side street. Find another one and stop being jealous of HWS. Thanks!

#898890 --- 10/14/08 05:19 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Genevan]
Geneva_grl Offline

It was a truck driver (not a local) that struck and killed a faculty member's wife. The faculty member is still at the Colleges. His wife, who was also an employee of the Colleges, was walking to work as she did every morning.

#898891 --- 10/14/08 05:22 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Taxpayer14456]
Geneva_grl Offline

Tax, it's true that the woman who was struck and killed crossing 5 & 20 on her way to work was a Colleges employee, but she was also a faculty member's wife.

#898897 --- 10/14/08 05:52 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Geneva_grl]
Genevan Offline

I had heard it was a visiting lecturer's wife from another country but I think I'm wrong. I apologize to the faculty member for my crass description and speaking in haste. I am also deeply sorry for his loss. Perhaps my previous comments also tended to feed into the town and gown stereotype so I recant.

#898899 --- 10/14/08 05:59 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Genevan]
Geneva_grl Offline

The professor is Asian, as was his wife. In fact, they had taken a group of HWS students to China for a few weeks one summer for a program. This professor has been at HWS for a few years now.

#899191 --- 10/15/08 12:48 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: hooka420]
Lori Offline

Loc: Seneca County - Barely
You are right, Geneva Survives when these kids go home. There are still 500+ employees of the colleges working all summer drawing checks and spending them in Geneva. However the Colleges only send some of the students home. Many stay on campus and work jobs here in this community during the summer months. The Colleges run summer camps that draw thousands of kids from across the country along with their parents who stay and dine and spend money here all summer. The Colleges have dorms full of people all summer for special events that the community can't even imagine. The colleges and their students get involved in the community but I don't see the community get involved with the colleges. Take the College out of Geneva and you will have higher taxes and a lot of run down homes. They hire many contractors from the local community to maintain their buildings and property. Take all of this money and the employess who own homes and spend locally and remove it/them. What will Geneva have?

No, I don't agree with the partying that goes on, however the colleges only can control what happens on their property. Call them and report the problems. Call the police. If all of the students move back on campus, we will have an awful lot of empty apartments. How will you pay your taxes then? Let's restrict their spending to their College Store. How much will the local businesses lose? You people need to look at the broader picture.

So how independent is Geneva from the Colleges? You have few manufacuring jobs, and the hospital is the largest employer. Will 500+ jobs be created to replace the lost jobs? How will losing 2500+ students who spend money locally affect the local economy? Not to mention the jobs lost from local contractors who make a full time living off the jobs they are hired to do at the colleges.

They have a community engagement office contact them to see what can be done about community problems. Get the names of those involved. I am sure the police report will have them. Work with the colleges to make the community better. Everyone wants the problem solved, but no one is willing to start the ball rolling.

#899196 --- 10/15/08 01:21 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Lori]
tubby Offline

You are about 500 students to high however I definitely agree with the rest

#899209 --- 10/15/08 02:09 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: tubby]
Lori Offline

Loc: Seneca County - Barely
As far as these kids going to school on your tax money. My kids did too. They went to State Schools and are now in the process of paying back that money over the next 10 yrs. Every student in Geneva that applies to college will also be applying to recieve a piece of the pie. These kids just end up owing a lot more than the kids that go to Community Colleges/State Schools. The wealther you are the less you will recieve. One of mine owes many thousands for private loans because the Federal Loans would not cover all of the costs(We consider ourselves lower/middle class). The fact of the matter is, most kids from Geneva will probably get much more in Federal Loans/Aid than most of the kids at HWS get. Someone from the Colleges correct me, but doesn't the Colleges offer 4 students from GENEVA or DESALES complete tuition every yr? They don't offer this to the surrounding communties. Have your kid apply for one of these scholarships if you want them to attend there.

As far as the cross walks go. It is state law that you have to stop for anyone that is on your side of the road at a crosswalk. There are alternate routes around Pultney St, use one. The Colleges did ask to close that section, but the residents opposed it, along with the fire and police Dept. The college have been in it's location far longer than the residents of that area. Move across town, maybe by the high school - oh wait same problem more cross walks and kids walking in the middle of the road not even near a cross walk. It only takes an extra 30 seconds to stop - you are going to get the red light and sit anyway, so just take your time, leave earlier, save a life.

#899628 --- 10/16/08 07:02 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Lori]
countrygirl Offline

Loc: upstate, NY
Look i have not said anything but i will now. I don't care, I would not want to listen to the crap and I would turn them in everytime. You want to party, then party, BUT keep the flippen noise down cause I don't want to hear it. PERIOD I don't care if they are college kids and young and having fun I don't want it next to me. Sorry some might think i wasnt young once but i was and if i had a party i sure as heck made sure it didn't get out of hand and if it did the party ended. Because I didn't want to have trouble with or bother the neighbors. Just because these kids are hobart college kids doesn't mean we have to say oh its ok let them have their fun. Well, Bullsh*t. they should have fun but we shouldn't have to listen to it or see their trash nor pick up their trash..

That is why i loved growing up in the country and will be moving back there. I don't like noise I don't like to listen kids running up and down the street screaming either or neighbors that live 4 houses apart standing on their porches in the night yelling back and forth. Geez pick up to phone or go to one anothers home. and the worst of all. I don't like neighbors either that live to close to me.

* Everyday brings us one new blessing *

#899633 --- 10/16/08 07:12 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: countrygirl]
lotsoftrouble Offline

Loc: Geneva NY
I was in the military stationed in a small town at a small post in Germany. The locals use to complain ALL the time about the rowdy Americans and a vocal minority complained that they wanted us gone. In 2006 they got their wish when the post was closed due to restructuring... over half that town lost their job, more than half rented out houses to GI's to live in and so now they sit empty, the town also lost millions of subsidies from the German and American Govt's. Now the town people are realizing that the "rowdy" Americans were actually only a few of the many productive, money spending GI's. Careful what you wish for. Does anyone know how much Hobart gives Geneva a year in taxes and also what percentage of the houses close to Hobart a rented out to the students? Just wondering

#899636 --- 10/16/08 07:18 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: lotsoftrouble]
countrygirl Offline

I don't care...still don't want to listen to it. Don't mind living next to them but keep it down is all i got to say...

#899637 --- 10/16/08 07:19 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: countrygirl]
countrygirl Offline

We are quiet for our neighbors and keep to ourselves. I expect the same out neighbors WHOEVER they may be

#899652 --- 10/16/08 08:01 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: countrygirl]
lotsoftrouble Offline

Loc: Geneva NY
I agree, I used to live on Park Ave so I completely understand but I will say that my husband used to just go over and ask them to be quiet, and after doing that a few times they got to be much more respectful.
All I am saying is talk to them during the day when they are not drinking and I bet that it might help. And where I lived, it was pretty 50/50 as to whether it was a Hobart party or just a local party.
I always thought that it would be helpful if Geneva had a bicycle cop to ride up and down the streets and help curb the noise. That way they don't have to keep getting in and out of their cars and they would also be able to hear the noise better.

#899655 --- 10/16/08 08:07 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: countrygirl]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

I think it's safe to say the colleges aren't going anyplace. One would have to figure out if the money the students spend locally is better then the loss of property tax revenues.

I think a majority of Geneva supports the college. But they don't support the nonsense.

#899667 --- 10/16/08 08:16 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: countrygirl]
tubby Offline

It sounds like you are very antisocial and should definitely move back to the country where you only have to put up with a couple loud cows or pigs.I have lived in Geneva my entire life and actually know my neighbors and call them my friends.

#899708 --- 10/16/08 09:07 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: lotsoftrouble]
thebabymaker Offline

Loc: A Happy Place
Originally Posted By: lotsoftrouble
Does anyone know how much Hobart gives Geneva a year in taxes and also what percentage of the houses close to Hobart a rented out to the students? Just wondering

Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong, but I believe that Hobart College is completely exempt from paying city taxes. I also believe the same is true with the Experiment Station.

(Not saying that our city's economy doesnt benefit financially from the college being here, though)

#899724 --- 10/16/08 09:39 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: thebabymaker]
tubby Offline

and the hospital however I believe they all pay very large water and sewer fees

#899932 --- 10/16/08 05:27 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: countrygirl]
Geneva_grl Offline

Then move back to the country if you don't like having neighbors. I love my neighbors. In the summer we sit outside on the porch, drink wine, and talk. We don't shout across the street to each other, but all gather on one porch. It's great fun. Try it, you might decide that you like having neighbors after all.

#900055 --- 10/16/08 08:33 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: countrygirl]
Geneve4072 Offline

Well it's pretty naive of you to think that living in a college town will provide one with peace and quiet. I used to live very close to the colleges, and the majority of our problems came from residents of Geneva. HWS was here long before everyone who lives near the college and is complaining. It is common knowledge that if you like your quiet time and are antisocial, you should live in the country. DUH.

#900092 --- 10/16/08 10:06 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: tubby]
countrygirl Offline

It sounds like you are very antisocial and should definitely move back to the country where you only have to put up with a couple loud cows or pigs.I have lived in Geneva my entire life and actually know my neighbors and call them my friends.

i actually phrased it wrong before, my bad, we keep to ourselves as far as not screaming down the road or making trouble. but we do get along with our neighbors and have some friends but when its 10pm at night and people who live 5 houses apart are standing outside yelling back and forth as loud as can b when the rest of the neighbors are trying to sleep...

#900093 --- 10/16/08 10:08 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Geneva_grl]
countrygirl Offline

Originally Posted By: Geneva_grl
Then move back to the country if you don't like having neighbors. I love my neighbors. In the summer we sit outside on the porch, drink wine, and talk. We don't shout across the street to each other, but all gather on one porch. It's great fun. Try it, you might decide that you like having neighbors after all.

like i said i stated it wrong before, beccause we do have neighbors that are friends. but i don't like it when its 10pm at night and some neighbors that live like 5 or 6 homes away are standing on the porch screaming back and forth i just cant stand it.

#900094 --- 10/16/08 10:12 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Geneve4072]
countrygirl Offline

Originally Posted By: Geneve4072
Well it's pretty naive of you to think that living in a college town will provide one with peace and quiet. I used to live very close to the colleges, and the majority of our problems came from residents of Geneva. HWS was here long before everyone who lives near the college and is complaining. It is common knowledge that if you like your quiet time and are antisocial, you should live in the country. DUH.

i do not live near the college students nor would i. all i am saying is that if i did live near one if they did not quiet down after i asked them that i would turn them in every time to the cops cause i'm not gon listen to it late at night. I am very sociable and get along great with my neighbors.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >