FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#898890 --- 10/14/08 05:19 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Genevan]
Geneva_grl Offline

Loc: G-Town
It was a truck driver (not a local) that struck and killed a faculty member's wife. The faculty member is still at the Colleges. His wife, who was also an employee of the Colleges, was walking to work as she did every morning.

FingerLakes1.com
#898891 --- 10/14/08 05:22 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Taxpayer14456]
Geneva_grl Offline

Tax, it's true that the woman who was struck and killed crossing 5 & 20 on her way to work was a Colleges employee, but she was also a faculty member's wife.

#898897 --- 10/14/08 05:52 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Geneva_grl]
Genevan Offline

Loc: Geneva
I had heard it was a visiting lecturer's wife from another country but I think I'm wrong. I apologize to the faculty member for my crass description and speaking in haste. I am also deeply sorry for his loss. Perhaps my previous comments also tended to feed into the town and gown stereotype so I recant.

#898899 --- 10/14/08 05:59 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Genevan]
Geneva_grl Offline

The professor is Asian, as was his wife. In fact, they had taken a group of HWS students to China for a few weeks one summer for a program. This professor has been at HWS for a few years now.

#899191 --- 10/15/08 12:48 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: hooka420]
Lori Offline

Loc: Seneca County - Barely
You are right, Geneva Survives when these kids go home. There are still 500+ employees of the colleges working all summer drawing checks and spending them in Geneva. However the Colleges only send some of the students home. Many stay on campus and work jobs here in this community during the summer months. The Colleges run summer camps that draw thousands of kids from across the country along with their parents who stay and dine and spend money here all summer. The Colleges have dorms full of people all summer for special events that the community can't even imagine. The colleges and their students get involved in the community but I don't see the community get involved with the colleges. Take the College out of Geneva and you will have higher taxes and a lot of run down homes. They hire many contractors from the local community to maintain their buildings and property. Take all of this money and the employess who own homes and spend locally and remove it/them. What will Geneva have?

No, I don't agree with the partying that goes on, however the colleges only can control what happens on their property. Call them and report the problems. Call the police. If all of the students move back on campus, we will have an awful lot of empty apartments. How will you pay your taxes then? Let's restrict their spending to their College Store. How much will the local businesses lose? You people need to look at the broader picture.

So how independent is Geneva from the Colleges? You have few manufacuring jobs, and the hospital is the largest employer. Will 500+ jobs be created to replace the lost jobs? How will losing 2500+ students who spend money locally affect the local economy? Not to mention the jobs lost from local contractors who make a full time living off the jobs they are hired to do at the colleges.

They have a community engagement office contact them to see what can be done about community problems. Get the names of those involved. I am sure the police report will have them. Work with the colleges to make the community better. Everyone wants the problem solved, but no one is willing to start the ball rolling.

#899196 --- 10/15/08 01:21 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Lori]
tubby Offline

Loc: N.Y.
You are about 500 students to high however I definitely agree with the rest

#899209 --- 10/15/08 02:09 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: tubby]
Lori Offline

Loc: Seneca County - Barely
As far as these kids going to school on your tax money. My kids did too. They went to State Schools and are now in the process of paying back that money over the next 10 yrs. Every student in Geneva that applies to college will also be applying to recieve a piece of the pie. These kids just end up owing a lot more than the kids that go to Community Colleges/State Schools. The wealther you are the less you will recieve. One of mine owes many thousands for private loans because the Federal Loans would not cover all of the costs(We consider ourselves lower/middle class). The fact of the matter is, most kids from Geneva will probably get much more in Federal Loans/Aid than most of the kids at HWS get. Someone from the Colleges correct me, but doesn't the Colleges offer 4 students from GENEVA or DESALES complete tuition every yr? They don't offer this to the surrounding communties. Have your kid apply for one of these scholarships if you want them to attend there.

As far as the cross walks go. It is state law that you have to stop for anyone that is on your side of the road at a crosswalk. There are alternate routes around Pultney St, use one. The Colleges did ask to close that section, but the residents opposed it, along with the fire and police Dept. The college have been in it's location far longer than the residents of that area. Move across town, maybe by the high school - oh wait same problem more cross walks and kids walking in the middle of the road not even near a cross walk. It only takes an extra 30 seconds to stop - you are going to get the red light and sit anyway, so just take your time, leave earlier, save a life.

#899628 --- 10/16/08 07:02 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Lori]
countrygirl Offline

Loc: upstate, NY
Look i have not said anything but i will now. I don't care, I would not want to listen to the crap and I would turn them in everytime. You want to party, then party, BUT keep the flippen noise down cause I don't want to hear it. PERIOD I don't care if they are college kids and young and having fun I don't want it next to me. Sorry some might think i wasnt young once but i was and if i had a party i sure as heck made sure it didn't get out of hand and if it did the party ended. Because I didn't want to have trouble with or bother the neighbors. Just because these kids are hobart college kids doesn't mean we have to say oh its ok let them have their fun. Well, Bullsh*t. they should have fun but we shouldn't have to listen to it or see their trash nor pick up their trash..

That is why i loved growing up in the country and will be moving back there. I don't like noise I don't like to listen kids running up and down the street screaming either or neighbors that live 4 houses apart standing on their porches in the night yelling back and forth. Geez pick up to phone or go to one anothers home. and the worst of all. I don't like neighbors either that live to close to me.

* Everyday brings us one new blessing *

#899633 --- 10/16/08 07:12 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: countrygirl]
lotsoftrouble Offline

Loc: Geneva NY
I was in the military stationed in a small town at a small post in Germany. The locals use to complain ALL the time about the rowdy Americans and a vocal minority complained that they wanted us gone. In 2006 they got their wish when the post was closed due to restructuring... over half that town lost their job, more than half rented out houses to GI's to live in and so now they sit empty, the town also lost millions of subsidies from the German and American Govt's. Now the town people are realizing that the "rowdy" Americans were actually only a few of the many productive, money spending GI's. Careful what you wish for. Does anyone know how much Hobart gives Geneva a year in taxes and also what percentage of the houses close to Hobart a rented out to the students? Just wondering

#899636 --- 10/16/08 07:18 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: lotsoftrouble]
countrygirl Offline

I don't care...still don't want to listen to it. Don't mind living next to them but keep it down is all i got to say...

#899637 --- 10/16/08 07:19 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: countrygirl]
countrygirl Offline

We are quiet for our neighbors and keep to ourselves. I expect the same out neighbors WHOEVER they may be

#899652 --- 10/16/08 08:01 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: countrygirl]
lotsoftrouble Offline

Loc: Geneva NY
I agree, I used to live on Park Ave so I completely understand but I will say that my husband used to just go over and ask them to be quiet, and after doing that a few times they got to be much more respectful.
All I am saying is talk to them during the day when they are not drinking and I bet that it might help. And where I lived, it was pretty 50/50 as to whether it was a Hobart party or just a local party.
I always thought that it would be helpful if Geneva had a bicycle cop to ride up and down the streets and help curb the noise. That way they don't have to keep getting in and out of their cars and they would also be able to hear the noise better.

#899655 --- 10/16/08 08:07 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: countrygirl]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Loc: Geneva
I think it's safe to say the colleges aren't going anyplace. One would have to figure out if the money the students spend locally is better then the loss of property tax revenues.

I think a majority of Geneva supports the college. But they don't support the nonsense.

#899667 --- 10/16/08 08:16 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: countrygirl]
tubby Offline

It sounds like you are very antisocial and should definitely move back to the country where you only have to put up with a couple loud cows or pigs.I have lived in Geneva my entire life and actually know my neighbors and call them my friends.

#899708 --- 10/16/08 09:07 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: lotsoftrouble]
thebabymaker Offline

Loc: A Happy Place
Originally Posted By: lotsoftrouble
Does anyone know how much Hobart gives Geneva a year in taxes and also what percentage of the houses close to Hobart a rented out to the students? Just wondering

Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong, but I believe that Hobart College is completely exempt from paying city taxes. I also believe the same is true with the Experiment Station.

(Not saying that our city's economy doesnt benefit financially from the college being here, though)

#899724 --- 10/16/08 09:39 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: thebabymaker]
tubby Offline

and the hospital however I believe they all pay very large water and sewer fees

#899932 --- 10/16/08 05:27 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: countrygirl]
Geneva_grl Offline

Then move back to the country if you don't like having neighbors. I love my neighbors. In the summer we sit outside on the porch, drink wine, and talk. We don't shout across the street to each other, but all gather on one porch. It's great fun. Try it, you might decide that you like having neighbors after all.

#900055 --- 10/16/08 08:33 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: countrygirl]
Geneve4072 Offline

Loc: NY
Well it's pretty naive of you to think that living in a college town will provide one with peace and quiet. I used to live very close to the colleges, and the majority of our problems came from residents of Geneva. HWS was here long before everyone who lives near the college and is complaining. It is common knowledge that if you like your quiet time and are antisocial, you should live in the country. DUH.

#900092 --- 10/16/08 10:06 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: tubby]
countrygirl Offline

Originally Posted By: tubby
It sounds like you are very antisocial and should definitely move back to the country where you only have to put up with a couple loud cows or pigs.I have lived in Geneva my entire life and actually know my neighbors and call them my friends.

i actually phrased it wrong before, my bad, we keep to ourselves as far as not screaming down the road or making trouble. but we do get along with our neighbors and have some friends but when its 10pm at night and people who live 5 houses apart are standing outside yelling back and forth as loud as can b when the rest of the neighbors are trying to sleep...

#900093 --- 10/16/08 10:08 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Geneva_grl]
countrygirl Offline

Originally Posted By: Geneva_grl
Then move back to the country if you don't like having neighbors. I love my neighbors. In the summer we sit outside on the porch, drink wine, and talk. We don't shout across the street to each other, but all gather on one porch. It's great fun. Try it, you might decide that you like having neighbors after all.

like i said i stated it wrong before, beccause we do have neighbors that are friends. but i don't like it when its 10pm at night and some neighbors that live like 5 or 6 homes away are standing on the porch screaming back and forth i just cant stand it.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >