FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#895190 --- 10/06/08 08:04 PM Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids
Rexx Offline

Loc: NY
There's a post on this forum that pretty much rakes all the Hobart College kids through the mud. I am here to defend them. Even though I am not one of the students I think that Geneva should consider itself blessed that these bright young men and women have chosen to attend Hobart and William Smith Colleges.
Not only do the college kids bring intelligence with them to our city but they support our local businesses which in turn helps small business owners and boosts Geneva's economy.
So what - a lot of them like to party? If certain people have a problem with that then why don't they politely ask the college kids in their neighborhoods to keep it down a bit? Rather than post negative things here about a small fraction of the college and make the whole college look bad, why don't you just kindly ask them to not be so loud? If you take this approach and it continues or worsens, then by all means call the police. Or learn to live with it. We all have annoyances in our neighborhoods, whether it's dogs barking or someone playing music too loud or someone using power tools, etc. For crying out loud, Extreme Makeover was here not long ago and made some noise but it was for a good cause and it's all over now, right? Was it really that bad?
We should accept and embrace people who come to this city and bring their business to our community - not post things that will offend them and drive them away. My sister in law lives right near Syracuse airport and I assure you, the noise she deals with is a hell of a lot worse than anything that neighbors of Hobart College experience. She herself said she knew that when she bought the house that the noise was part of the package. So to those of you "complainers" who live close to the college - it is what it is, folks - and if you don't like it and can't or won't adapt to it, then maybe you ought to move? Just a thought...

FingerLakes1.com
#895235 --- 10/06/08 11:27 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Rexx]
SFisWonderful Offline

Loc: NEW YORK
Originally Posted By: Rexx
There's a post on this forum that pretty much rakes all the Hobart College kids through the mud. I am here to defend them. Even though I am not one of the students I think that Geneva should consider itself blessed that these bright young men and women have chosen to attend Hobart and William Smith Colleges.
Not only do the college kids bring intelligence with them to our city but they support our local businesses which in turn helps small business owners and boosts Geneva's economy.
So what - a lot of them like to party? If certain people have a problem with that then why don't they politely ask the college kids in their neighborhoods to keep it down a bit? Rather than post negative things here about a small fraction of the college and make the whole college look bad, why don't you just kindly ask them to not be so loud? If you take this approach and it continues or worsens, then by all means call the police. Or learn to live with it. We all have annoyances in our neighborhoods, whether it's dogs barking or someone playing music too loud or someone using power tools, etc. For crying out loud, Extreme Makeover was here not long ago and made some noise but it was for a good cause and it's all over now, right? Was it really that bad?
We should accept and embrace people who come to this city and bring their business to our community - not post things that will offend them and drive them away. My sister in law lives right near Syracuse airport and I assure you, the noise she deals with is a hell of a lot worse than anything that neighbors of Hobart College experience. She herself said she knew that when she bought the house that the noise was part of the package. So to those of you "complainers" who live close to the college - it is what it is, folks - and if you don't like it and can't or won't adapt to it, then maybe you ought to move? Just a thought...

The parents and students are attending this private college should know what the expectations are. Why not save everyone a lot of money if you just want to party? You can buy a lot of booze and drugs for $25,000/semester. If you want to party, stay home and drive your parents BMW/Lexus/SAAB around your own town and be a loser.

#895313 --- 10/07/08 05:26 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: SFisWonderful]
Sweetcakes Offline

Loc: Southeast of Disorder
Um wonder if its ot for the gpd to keep these parties in check?

#895352 --- 10/07/08 06:44 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Sweetcakes]
Genevan Offline

Loc: Geneva
Is it because you think what you have to say is more important than others that you replicate a thread already open on this subject?

#895413 --- 10/07/08 09:30 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Rexx]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Loc: Geneva
It's good to know that since they come here and spend money they should be entitled to a free for all.

I don't know if a study was ever done to see if the students out spend what the city loses in property tax revenue.

#895482 --- 10/07/08 11:34 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Taxpayer14456]
coffeemamma Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
It isn't just the students' money. Hundreds of people make their living at the colleges and that money also gets spent locally.

#895486 --- 10/07/08 11:38 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: coffeemamma]
Anonymous
Unregistered

let me get this straight.
because these students spend some money around town they can drink illegally, party as loudly as they like and no one should say anything?

Gee that sounds pretty fair..NOT

#895495 --- 10/07/08 11:55 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: ]
ghost7 Offline

Loc: geneva ny
LET ME CLUE YOU IN ON THESE ANGELS, I OWN A INCOME PROPERTY IN THAT AREA AND I TRAVEL THRU THE AREA TO GET TO MY HOME.........

DRIVE DOWN PULTNEY ST WHEN THESE KIDS ARE CROSSING THE STREET. I KNOW YEILD TO THE PEDESTRIAN..... THEY DONT EVEN LOOK BEFORE STEPING INTO THE CROSSWALK THEY JUST WALK NO MATTER HOW FAST YOU ARE DRIVING THEY JUST STEP OUT.

NOW THE VANDALISIM I'LL PUT MY INCOME PROPERTY UP AGAINST ANYONE'S HOME ON THIS FORUM. THEY STEAL PLANTS CHAIRS ETC.ETC. I HAD 1 HIT MY PORCH AT 30 + MPH AND DRIVE OFF.

PUT THE COLLEGE ON THE TAX ROLES AND I'LL TAKE THERE CRAP UNTIL THEN SCREW EM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#895526 --- 10/07/08 01:04 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Rexx]
shydog18 Offline

Loc: ny
rex i think you are the smartest man here who cares if they want to party people are just jelous that they dont have friends to do that with or are to old and think there s**t dont stink

#895528 --- 10/07/08 01:06 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: shydog18]
Coach64 Offline

Loc: Houghton, MI
hahahha.....you are the brightest bulb ever

#895613 --- 10/07/08 05:06 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Rexx]
Geneva_grl Offline

Loc: G-Town
I have to agree with Rexx. These kids DO spend their money here, as well as their parents. Last weekend was Family Weekend at the Colleges. The parents, I'm sure, took their child or children to dinner in town, not to mention that they stayed in local hotels. And, was anyone in Wegmans over the weekend? The parents buy their kids food and such when they are here for the weekend. Good for our local economy, right?

Not ALL HWS students are ardent partiers. Quite a number volunteer in the community: America Reads, Geneva Heroes, Days of Service, etc. Don't let a few "partiers" blur your vision of HWS students.

#895625 --- 10/07/08 05:35 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Rexx]
donedirtcheap Offline

Loc: boondocks
Yea they aint hurtin nothin..let em party your only young once..thats the time to get it out.....

#895633 --- 10/07/08 05:48 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: donedirtcheap]
Geneva_grl Offline

I'm wondering if all on here that attended college just sat in their dorm rooms or off-campus apartments and kept their noses in their books the ENTIRE time. I highly doubt that. I went to some pretty wild parties in Buffalo and Syracuse during my time in school.

#895637 --- 10/07/08 05:51 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Geneva_grl]
donedirtcheap Offline

Loc: boondocks
I accompnied a band once to a frat house at Alfred college..and let me tell ya it was one of the wildest partys Ive ever been too..was really alot like the Animal House deal to tell ya the truth...garbage can of Purple Jesus mix in the kitchen and numerous other activities I wont mention on here...but I was Impressed with it let me tell ya!!!!

#895654 --- 10/07/08 06:04 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: donedirtcheap]
Geneva_grl Offline

I remember one party at a friend's off-campus apartment. I think it was a Halloween party...hey, it was the 70s so I might have the theme of the party wrong here. But, one of the partiers lit an M80 into a trashcan,with the lid on,in the kitchen and all of a sudden ....KABOOM

#895655 --- 10/07/08 06:05 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Geneva_grl]
Sovereign King Offline

Loc: Auditioning on Broadway
...and you thought you had it bad in Geneva... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqwRVD7Ww_0

Does the lady at 1:11 post here?

#895656 --- 10/07/08 06:06 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Sovereign King]
Geneva_grl Offline

I don't think I have it bad in Geneva, at all.

#895659 --- 10/07/08 06:09 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Geneva_grl]
Sovereign King Offline

Loc: Auditioning on Broadway
...that wasn't directed to anybody in particular, just used the quick reply box...

#895732 --- 10/07/08 07:49 PM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Geneva_grl]
hooka420 Offline

Loc: NY
I don't comment a lot on these forums, but when I saw this, I HAD to post! Unlike most towns with colleges/universities in them, Geneva can survive...and does when these college students are not in the town. I went to college in a town that when we left for the summer basically shut down, it was like a ghost town. Geneva is not like that and I would even go as far as to say that we could definitely make it without them. I agree that Hobart/ William Smith does provide some of our own Genevans with jobs through housekeeping, grounds, the Scandling Center and so on. But in that same breath, I would have to say that the students that I have come in contact with have been condescending and arrogant towards people who live in this town on a regular basis, which I find to be quite atrocious. Like I said, I went to college and I would have never thought to treat the people who lived in that town with disrespect...but then again, my mommy and daddy didn't pay to send me to college (I payed for my own tuition) and I didn't have the benefit of driving my beamer to school everyday... in fact, I was lucky if I had a bike or even a pair of roller skates! \:\)

I am sure there are good, well mannered Hobart and William Smith students but the abundance of rotten apples outweigh the nice and shiny ones!

#895839 --- 10/08/08 06:40 AM Re: Let's take it easy on the Hobart kids [Re: Rexx]
colorado Offline

Loc: NY USA
Most of us have gone to college and we did not spend all our time in the library. Partying is part of the college experience for most of the college students. YES, some of the students are arogant but that is their way of life; you cannot blame them for how they act at times, that is the way they were brought up. Is it right, maybe not. Money is a wonderful thing and it affords a great life for those who have it but it can send the wrong message to those who are not as fortunate. Sooo, if the partying is too much, you either address it with the party or call the cops and hopefully they will take care of it ( until the next time). I love living in a college town, there is always something going on. I am a college graduate and I did some partying and I would not take that away from the college students, it is a part of the college experience.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >