FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#890398 --- 09/28/08 08:08 PM Infrared quartz heaters
threeputt Offline

Loc: Waterloo
I just ordered an infrared quartz heater. Anyone out there have one? And what do you think of it. Todays FLT had an ad insert for one kind they will be selling at the Ramada on Tuesday, but I did some research and ordered a different kind from Amazon....a better heater and less money.

FingerLakes1.com
#890404 --- 09/28/08 08:14 PM Re: Infrared quartz heaters [Re: threeputt]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Southend {Mars}
How much space do you plan to heat, would work in a small room or bathroom.

#890435 --- 09/28/08 08:41 PM Re: Infrared quartz heaters [Re: Buddy]
donedirtcheap Offline

Loc: boondocks
Im still old fashioned...I want the air around me warm not the furniture...and I think buddy is right..you arnt gonna heat alot of space with one either.

#890563 --- 09/29/08 04:36 AM Re: Infrared quartz heaters [Re: donedirtcheap]
Ranger Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: GOD's 1/2 acre
I wonder how much electricity they draw, compared to any other way of heating an area?

#890779 --- 09/29/08 12:49 PM Re: Infrared quartz heaters [Re: Ranger]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
They put out the same BTUs per watt as any other electric heater; the laws of physics haven't been suspended. They do sound like a nice heater, but I think they're overpriced.

They do seem to have some advantages, but the sites I've searched make the claim that they don't "take the moisture out of the air" like other types of heating devices.

Well, they don't suck in dry, outside,"makeup" air, like a vented furnace, boiler, heater, or stove, but NO electric heater does. However, ANY type of home heating device raises the air temperature, which lowers the RELATIVE humidity. That is, warm air can hold more moisture than can cool air, so it's going to be drier relative to the amount of moisture it COULD hold, compared to cool air.

It seems that with any new type of heating device, there's always a lot of flim-flam before the government has a chance to step in and stop the bogus claims.

#892263 --- 10/01/08 01:18 PM Re: Infrared quartz heaters [Re: VM Smith]
threeputt Offline

Loc: Waterloo
It'll be interesting to see if this thing is as good as I hope it will be. Remind me and I'll let the forum know in Jan!

#903123 --- 10/23/08 04:50 PM Re: Infrared quartz heaters [Re: threeputt]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: threeputt
It'll be interesting to see if this thing is as good as I hope it will be. Remind me and I'll let the forum know in Jan!

Is UPS that slow?

#903135 --- 10/23/08 05:07 PM Re: Infrared quartz heaters [Re: bluezone]
Akisma Woodchuck Offline

Loc: American Freedom Fighter
Electricity is one of the most expensive ways to heat per million BTU's generated

#903204 --- 10/23/08 06:48 PM Re: Infrared quartz heaters [Re: donedirtcheap]
Ovidian Offline
Silver Member

Loc: gone
Originally Posted By: donedirtcheap
Im still old fashioned...I want the air around me warm not the furniture...and I think buddy is right..you arnt gonna heat alot of space with one either.
I have afriend that has one of these. He says within 20 minutes it warms his living room right up. His is advertised to heat around 1000 sq ft. He hasn't seen an electric bill yet so he hasn't a comment on that yet. He and another friend were going to Binghamton to pick up another one. I'll have to let them know about the Geneva sale.