FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#28992 --- 09/16/04 09:34 PM Re: Contractor problems
sweettart Offline

Q. Doesn't the BBB report only on its members?

No. BBBs issue reports on members and non-members alike.
BBBs, which as a matter of policy do not endorse or recommend any company, product or service, apply the same standards to reporting on companies, regardless of their BBB membership.

http://www.bbbvan.org/aboutbbb/faq.html

FingerLakes1.com
#28993 --- 09/16/04 09:34 PM Re: Contractor problems
caligirl Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Hey Ditchwitch - will you pm me and let me know who your husband is and a contact #?

I'll need some work done on my house and don't know who to get.

The last person we hired was horrible, did not do things as expected (he did the work, but it's crappy quality). He won't return calls, either. I'm not looking to fix what he did, I need other stuff done?

#28994 --- 09/17/04 09:41 AM Re: Contractor problems
Oompa Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes, NY
Thank you ST, for proving me wrong. Sorry Orion for giving incorrect info that I thought was truth. I was mistaken...

#28995 --- 09/17/04 02:59 PM Re: Contractor problems
Ditchwitch Offline

Loc: Muddy,Swampy Places in the Fin...
will do, Caligirl....booked through the winter, but he can at least give you an honest quote to work with.

#28996 --- 09/18/04 07:05 AM Re: Contractor problems
~Ellie~ Offline

Loc: FL1 Auxiliary Member 506
If a contractor does good work, word of mouth is great so it only goes to reason that the word get out on not so good contractors right? I'm looking to have some work done and would hate to get mixed up with some of the ones mentioned here. It's not unusual to hear contractor horror stories, maybe it's time we not be so shy, and hold them accountable for their poor services? jmo

#886986 --- 09/22/08 07:29 PM Re: Contractor problems [Re: orion]
Moo Cow Offline

Loc: Interstellar space portal
Saw a piece on the news this morning which might help future people looking to have work done. http://WWW.NYKNOWYOURCONTRACTOR.COM supposedly lists contractors who have had complaints/judgements against them. I took a quick look at it tonite and it appears that almost all of those listed are from Monroe County but it might be worth taking a look before you "seal the deal."

Contractor supplied "references" are, in my sight, a waste because it would take a total idiot to provide only positive references. My rule of thumb is to hire only local contractors who have been recommended by friends or neighbors. Even if it is a "small" project, I suggest getting a signed contract indicating the specific work contracted for as well as a completion date. Take into consideration factors such as weather conditions, etc. if it is an outdoor project. Just make sure that you cover all the bases in your signed agreement before you put forth a penny. A reputable contractor will not be offended by your detailed agreement.

#887000 --- 09/22/08 07:43 PM Re: Contractor problems [Re: orion]
Moo Cow Offline

Loc: Interstellar space portal
A quote is not a legally binding agreement for either the contractor or yourself. Given the details you've provided, I'd lose the contractors phone number in a hurry. If you provided any "up-front" money without a signed contract, I suspect you could file a claim in civil court but have doubts as to your success.

#887042 --- 09/22/08 08:52 PM Re: Contractor problems [Re: orion]
Bing Bong Offline

Loc: the road to hell
Originally Posted By: orion
Does a homeowner have any recourse if a contractor draws up a quote, both parties (the homeowners and the contractor) signs up the contract for work to be done, and then the contractor will not return calls for two months as to the status of the job?

Yes. You can go on the internet and make a big deal out of nothing. Or you can try to sue and get your butt thrown out of court. Either way, you lose. The contractor wins because he doesn't have to deal with you.

#887064 --- 09/22/08 09:25 PM Re: Contractor problems [Re: Bing Bong]
jayray Offline

Loc: in the woods
Put a start and completion date on the bottom of the contract. The contractor has none of your money, right? Get another contractor who will guarentee when he is starting. What is the scope of work?

#887179 --- 09/23/08 06:22 AM Re: Contractor problems [Re: jayray]
jojotaxpayer Offline

Loc: Ontario County
If there is no deposit (upfront money) I would start getting other contractors to look at it and get it done. Binding contracts are only normally used in commercial work where a lot of money and other contractors are involved. If I don't know someone I try to get a signiture on something (price and scope of the work) but I'm not sure how binding in would actually be.

Just find someone else.

#887518 --- 09/23/08 04:47 PM Re: Contractor problems [Re: jojotaxpayer]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Loc: between here and there
first of all, to make things clear with this deadbeat contractor, call him and then mail a letter,keep a copy of it and tell him that since he has not lived up to his end, contract has ended. that way no questions on who and why incase he tries to come back on you. maybe poo poo but people are stupidly sue happy.cover your butt.

#887591 --- 09/23/08 06:56 PM Re: Contractor problems [Re: orion]
tomboy Offline

Loc: NY
I have had the same problem. I just got a different contractor to do the work. The one that I was waiting for had done a lot of work for me in the past and he was paid in cash and was local. I have no idea what his problem was. I agree with the others a quote is not a binding contract. Just take a deep breath and move on.

Good Luck!!

#889115 --- 09/26/08 07:57 AM Re: Contractor problems [Re: tomboy]
Bam Offline

Loc: somewhere
most contractors are finishing the outside work, most contractors took on more than they can handle due to weather. and now some are making up for what other's couldnt do. I hope you get it done .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2