FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#887504 --- 09/23/08 04:29 PM need help with ...
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Loc: between here and there
Ok I want to recement where my back steps are, not the steps ,but the landing dug into the ground,the slabs are broken,worn,and I just want to redo them if I can. I can't break em up cause they are like 3 inches or so.
So as a first timer doing this , can you explain how its done.
and whats the difference in cement? I do have a wheelrarrow to mix if thats what ya do.

FingerLakes1.com
#887532 --- 09/23/08 05:03 PM Re: need help with ... [Re: reilley]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools

#887536 --- 09/23/08 05:16 PM Re: need help with ... [Re: reilley]
RedGreen Offline

Loc: Charlotte
Originally Posted By: reilley
Ok I want to recement where my back steps are, not the steps ,but the landing dug into the ground,the slabs are broken,worn,and I just want to redo them if I can. I can't break em up cause they are like 3 inches or so.
So as a first timer doing this , can you explain how its done.
and whats the difference in cement? I do have a wheelrarrow to mix if thats what ya do.

If you lived in SF I`d do it for you, did masonary construction work for a long time.
The right way to do it is to remove the old slab and pour new concrete .
You could use bags of redi mix, it`s like dry concrete but if the slab is of any size it`s easier and cheaper to order concrete from Robinsons they service your area.
You`d be spending all day mixing crap up in that wheelbarrow and you don`t get a good consistant mix.
That`s why people have failures like you`re having now.

Only other way to do it without removing the old slab is to form it a couple inches higher , guessing you`d need 2x6`s anyways.
Put stakes along the sides ever 2 feet and also the corners.
Make sure you add at least 2-3 inches of new material or in a couple years you`ll be right back where you are now.
This method will leave you with a pronounced risen pad, you will have to get some soil and kind of feather it down to even things off.