FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#887407 --- 09/23/08 01:19 PM Driveway sealing question
Qwill Pen Offline

Loc: New York
I need to have my driveway sealed. since I have not lived in the house very long, I do not know who to call. I thought Shuttleworth was reliable, but I called there twice in the last week to get a price quote and no one has ever called back.

Looking in the yellow pages, there is a list of Ontario Concrete under Sealcoating. They are on East North Street. Anyone have any recommendations? This is in Geneva.

PM me if you would prefer.

Thanks for any leads you can give me.

FingerLakes1.com
#887479 --- 09/23/08 03:51 PM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: Qwill Pen]
Miatasportscar Offline

Loc: Geneva, NY
I have a 20' X 110' long driveway. I paved it in 1976, and NEVER coated it. It held up until I resurfaced it two years ago, and it still looks brand new. The estimate to coat it was between $300-$450, annually. If I had coated it for 32 years at an average cost of $350 it would have cost me $11,200 in coatings. I resurfaced it to brand new two years ago for $7000, and I now have a brand new driveway again. Also if you have light colored rugs and other light flooring in your home, you definitely do NOT want to coat your driveway! You'll soon see the markings on your floors no matter how hard you try to be careful. The coating is simply "blackening" the driveway for a short period, if you had it paved correctly in the first place it should last 25 years or more, then you simply have another inch or two put over it and it's ready for another 25 years. Any professional will tell you coating your driveway isn't necessary at all, just a waste of money and will most likely track into your house no matter what product is used. Leave it alone, save your money each year you'd spend to coat it,put it away, and in 25 years or so simply take that money and re-pave it to new! No brainer...

#887512 --- 09/23/08 04:39 PM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: Miatasportscar]
Qwill Pen Offline

Thanks for the info. I have only lived her 1 year. I don't know what previous owners did. At my age, I will not live another 25 years, for sure. However, I take your point about the floors and it is a good one. I did get one call returned anyway. Thanks.

#887526 --- 09/23/08 04:55 PM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: Qwill Pen]
Miatasportscar Offline

Listen to me, DON'T SEAL IT! Unless you want to track that stuff all over the house. I don't care whose driveway is sealed< I can ALWAYS tell it was sealed the minute I walk into the house. It is impossible not to track it all over the place, I don't care how hard you try not to. And it doesn't do a darn thing for the driveway but "paint it black" for a couple of weeks....save your money. Buy a couple cases of good wine and sit back and relax...

Edited by FL1 Mod 2 (09/24/08 07:04 AM)

#887570 --- 09/23/08 06:23 PM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: Miatasportscar]
ghost7 Offline

Loc: geneva ny
USE GILSONITE ITS OIL BASED ITS $40 FOR 5 GALLONS IT WONT TRACK ITS GOOD FOR 4 YEARS

AND DONT USE SHUTTLEWORTH UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR GRASS BLACK TOO THEY ARE SO SLOPPY

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND ALSEAL IF YOU NEED TO HIRE IT OUT

#887645 --- 09/23/08 08:17 PM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: ghost7]
Miatasportscar Offline

Professionals in the blacktop game always frown on "sealing". The product you have suggested DOES come off when walking on it. Try playing on your newly sealed driveway after a year goes by, then track on your wife's white rugs...like I said: DON'T DO IT! There isn't a product made for sealing that doesn't adhere to your sneaks and track on to the floors in your house. READ THE LABELS!!!

#887699 --- 09/23/08 09:34 PM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: Miatasportscar]
Akisma Woodchuck Offline

Loc: American Freedom Fighter
Originally Posted By: Miatasportscar
I have a 20' X 110' long driveway. I paved it in 1976, and NEVER coated it. It held up until I resurfaced it two years ago, and it still looks brand new. The estimate to coat it was between $300-$450, annually. If I had coated it for 32 years at an average cost of $350 it would have cost me $11,200 in coatings. I resurfaced it to brand new two years ago for $7000, and I now have a brand new driveway again. Also if you have light colored rugs and other light flooring in your home, you definitely do NOT want to coat your driveway! You'll soon see the markings on your floors no matter how hard you try to be careful. The coating is simply "blackening" the driveway for a short period, if you had it paved correctly in the first place it should last 25 years or more, then you simply have another inch or two put over it and it's ready for another 25 years. Any professional will tell you coating your driveway isn't necessary at all, just a waste of money and will most likely track into your house no matter what product is used. Leave it alone, save your money each year you'd spend to coat it,put it away, and in 25 years or so simply take that money and re-pave it to new! No brainer...

If you paid 7 grand to do 2200 square feet of 1-2 inch top you got taken to the cleaners. This job should have cost around 2500-2800 dollars. Someone got into your pockets real deep.

#887724 --- 09/23/08 11:24 PM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: Akisma Woodchuck]
Johnny Carson Offline

Originally Posted By: Akisma Haryaz

If you paid 7 grand to do 2200 square feet of 1-2 inch top you got taken to the cleaners. This job should have cost around 2500-2800 dollars. Someone got into your pockets real deep.

Did you have god pave your driveway?? Holycow that was expensive!!! Lifetime guarantee?? And why would you never seal your driveway? Its pretty self explanatory. Duh!!

#887831 --- 09/24/08 06:57 AM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: Miatasportscar]
ghost7 Offline

Professionals in the blacktop game always frown on "sealing". The product you have suggested DOES come off when walking on it. Try playing on your newly sealed driveway after a year goes by, then track on your wife's white rugs...like I said: DON'T DO IT! There isn't a product made for sealing that doesn't adhere to your sneaks and track on to the floors in your house. READ THE LABELS!!!

ONTARIO PAVING GUARANTEES YOUR DRIVEWAY FOR LIFE IF THEY SEAL YOUR DRIVEWAY EVERY YEAR
AND GILSONITE DOES NOT COME OFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT I GUESS YOU ARE THE EXPERT, SINCE SOMEONE IN THE BUSINESS ROCKED YOUR CHECKBOOK............ DUMMY

Edited by ghost7 (09/24/08 06:58 AM)

#887922 --- 09/24/08 11:04 AM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: Qwill Pen]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: caseyseneca
I need to have my driveway sealed. since I have not lived in the house very long, I do not know who to call. I thought Shuttleworth was reliable, but I called there twice in the last week to get a price quote and no one has ever called back.

Looking in the yellow pages, there is a list of Ontario Concrete under Sealcoating. They are on East North Street. Anyone have any recommendations? This is in Geneva.

PM me if you would prefer.

Thanks for any leads you can give me.

How wide and long is the driveway?

#887935 --- 09/24/08 11:34 AM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: Qwill Pen]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Originally Posted By: caseyseneca
Thanks for the info. I have only lived her 1 year. I don't know what previous owners did. At my age, I will not live another 25 years, for sure. However, I take your point about the floors and it is a good one. I did get one call returned anyway. Thanks.

All you really have to ask is whether they seal highways. If it really helped, they'd do it.

#888054 --- 09/24/08 03:27 PM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: VM Smith]
Miatasportscar Offline

VM:
You're right on..they don't seal highways!
One other issue not to seal a driveway is rather simple, but no one ever thinks about it. The driveway blacktop has crevices and imperfections when applied new. If you seal it, you fill in the pores. You distroy the traction quality of the initial blacktop. If your driveway has the slightest incline, you'll be slipping, sliding for lack of traction if you fill all the little pores with sealant! Only an absolute fool would seal the driveway. Talk to a REAL professional, not some clown looking to make a fast buck by spreading goop or spraying some color on your driveway. Don't ruin it, leave it alone!

#888057 --- 09/24/08 03:44 PM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: Miatasportscar]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
VM:

tar and gravel?

#888065 --- 09/24/08 04:14 PM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: Miatasportscar]
ghost7 Offline

VM:
One other issue not to seal a driveway is rather simple, but no one ever thinks about it. The driveway blacktop has crevices and imperfections when applied new. If you seal it, you fill in the pores. You distroy the traction quality of the initial blacktop. If your driveway has the slightest incline, you'll be slipping, sliding for lack of traction if you fill all the little pores with sealant! Only an absolute fool would seal the driveway. Talk to a REAL professional, not some clown looking to make a fast buck by spreading goop or spraying some color on your driveway. Don't ruin it, leave it alone!

HAHAHAHA TRACTION WHERE THE FRIG DO YOU LIVE ON TOP OF A MOUNTAIN ?????????

THOSE PORES ETC. LET WATER IN WHICH IN THE WINTER FREEZE AND CRACK HELLLLOOOOOOOO WE LIVE IN THE N.E.

#888261 --- 09/24/08 08:08 PM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: ghost7]
Akisma Woodchuck Offline

traction. LOL.

Miatasportscar got snookered on the repave job.

He does not understand freeze/thaw concepts.

I think just because he has believed it for 32 years it must be true for him. Too bad he cannot understand sealing preserves asphalt.

Oh and for the roads - they lay down at least 5 inches of top, makes for a big diffenence in the dynamics of the product versus the 1 inch most homeowner get.

#888379 --- 09/24/08 09:07 PM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: Akisma Woodchuck]
Big Freddy Offline

Loc: Ontario
Miata you need to do a little more research on blacktop. Maybe you can talk to all the fellas at Tim Hortons in the morning. and Gerry $7000 for your driveway isn't to bad. You should seal it every other year it will cost you about $200.

#888657 --- 09/25/08 10:30 AM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: Qwill Pen]
little mama Offline

Loc: seneca county
Don't pay attention to Miata. I've had my driveway sealed every other year for over 20 years. And it doesn't track in the house. We've done it ourselves for about $60 for about the same size driveway as you. We just hired Stillwells to do ours yesterday because after 20 years, its just to hard to do it ourselves anymore.

#889203 --- 09/26/08 12:11 PM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: little mama]
ghost7 Offline

IS THAT MIATA GUY, DOES HE SELL USED CARS AND LIVE IN THE TOWN OF GENEVA ON @#^LL RD.????????????????/

miata's driveway slopes to the east from the garage his whole driveway pitches to the east water does not stay on it thats how he got away with it for so long his is not a typical driveway plus it gets the sun all day if there is any in the winter

#889939 --- 09/27/08 10:26 PM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: ghost7]
Akisma Woodchuck Offline

makes sense

#890302 --- 09/28/08 05:18 PM Re: Driveway sealing question [Re: Akisma Woodchuck]
Rascal Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brewerton, NY, USA
The highways are sealed. Maybe not the whole width of the highway. But the cracks are...In order to prevent potholes.

Potholes suck at 75MPH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >