Topic Options
#1240057 --- 12/15/10 01:15 PM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: Tabbytails]
Tabbytails Offline

Loc: Here Abouts.
It was gooooooooooooooooood. \:\)

FingerLakes1.com
#1241176 --- 12/21/10 03:59 AM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: Tabbytails]
Brooklyn Offline

This is something called Quick Chicken Noodle soup and it takes only minutes to make but it is rather good and very easy to make. Your guests will think you been cooking all day.

- 4 cups water
- 1 can - small, 14 1/2oz can - chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 can - usually comes in around 10 3/4 oz can - condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh carrots (mandolin style)
- 1 small onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon reduced sodium chicken bouillion granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked egg noodles

- In a Dutch oven, combine the 1st 10 ingredient
- Bring to a boil
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until veggies are crisp tender
- Stir in the noodles
- Cook 5-7 minutes longer or until noodles and veggies are tender
- Serve

This will generally serve 5-6 guests.

Try it you will like it.

- Brooklyn

#1241181 --- 12/21/10 04:49 AM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: Brooklyn]
RedGreen Offline

Loc: Charlotte
If you want people to " think you been cooking all day", well you have to cook all day.

If you want to make chicken soup you buy a big chicken and simmer it to make your stock. You need the chicken meat anyways. Canned broth and bouillion granules don't fly with me I make everything fresh home made. I'll put my Italian Wedding soup up against anybodys, because it's all fresh home made including like 150 baby 1/2" meatballs.

There is no substitute for quality or freshness. And my recipe, though it's in my head not on paper is very different from the one posted above. I typed it out once for someone on here though. It used to be a labor of love for me it took 3 hours to make a big pot of soup. Not just cooking time but constantly chopping, dicing preparing things. But it was loved by people I cared about and was worth the effort.

#1241204 --- 12/21/10 12:16 PM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: RedGreen]
s2hphoto.com Offline

Loc: NYS
I agree..... I make it from scratch or don't bother. Also by making it from scratch you can get several meals out of it.... For my chicken noodle I buy a day old rotisserie chicken... cut the meat off.... put some in gravy for chicken and bisquits meal #1 some of the meat for lunches meal #2 and meat for the soup that I make from boiling the carcass meal #3 .... Day old rotisserie $2.99, 2 jars of chicken gravy $1.89 each, Celery $1.29, Onions, $1.99, Egg noodles $1.49, can of bisquits $1.79. So for approximately $14.00 you get 3 or more meals.

#1242048 --- 12/26/10 01:54 PM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: s2hphoto.com]
Red22 Offline

Loc: ny
I use so much chicken broth that to make it myself would be a full time job.

#1242305 --- 12/27/10 10:06 PM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: Red22]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
Ha!! Me too.

#1242432 --- 12/28/10 02:09 PM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: Della]
Red22 Offline

I just picked up a carton of the Wegman's brand Thai Culinary Stock. I used it to make quinoa, it was really good. I can't wait to make some sort of soup with it.

#1245735 --- 01/11/11 03:33 AM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: Red22]
RedGreen Offline

Italian Wedding Soup

Go to the market and buy the biggest whole chicken you can find. Try to get to know your local market butcher/meatcutter too. I know this is impossible at say WalMart. I've talked one up here at Herrema's and she gives me a big pack of free neck bones when I want them. They add an immense amount of flavor to my stock. Plus I'll tell you what neck bones and gravy with some rice and broccoli or okra is a fine meal by itself.

Take that big chicken and put it in a 6-8 quart kettle. Add just enough water to cover it. Bring to a boil, reduce heat way down low and just slow slow simmer for 2 hours. This gives you time to do all the other stuff you gotta do.

While your chicken is simmering take 1# of carrots, peel and slice about 1/4 inch thin, no fatter. I'm not fussy here I just bang em out in like 2 minutes. But they all turn out identical thickness due to my technique.
Take 6 cloves of fresh garlic and chop it very finely. You want it in the soup, but you don't want chunks of garlic to be visible. Chop finely it releases the flavor. Take 1 large or 2 small heads of Escarole , wash and tear into like 1" pieces.

Now comes the fun part. Take about 3/4# of lean ground beef and 1/2 # of ground pork. Plain ground pork no spices like sage added. You can actually sub the "meatloaf" mix some stores offer it'll work. Add to the meat mix about 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, 2tbs of basil, 2tbs of Oregano, a palm full of garlic powder that's like about a teaspoon full. A couple Tbs full of good parmesan. A teaspoon of black pepper. Mix very well, then spend the next hour making 150 little baby 1/2" meatballs. I lay mine out on the counter on wax paper while I'm making them.

Your chicken is doing great by now so you take it out of the water and put it aside to cool. You can take a break for a few here as it cools off.

When your chicken is touchable take the breast meat and shread it and put it right back into the pot. I use the white meat, and use the dark meat for chicken salad sammies.

Take a 3-4 quart saucepan and boil up about 6 cups of water. Add a good dose of salt, like 4tbs maybe I don't know I don't measure things I'm trying to post this but I just make stuff I don't follow recipes it's all in my head and from experience. When this comes to a rolling boil add half your baby meatballs. They will only need to cook like 3 minutes. By boiling them in the salt water it removes all the fat. When they start to float start to remove them. repeat with the remaining meatballs. When done add to soup pot.

OK now you got someting going. Bang in your carrots and garlic, and take a white onion and grate like half of it into the soup. Again, you want the flavor not hunks of onion. White onions are way better than yellow ones. Add 1/2 # of Acini De Pepe pasta and your escarole. Simmer another 20 minutes.

My your kitchen smells good. Maybe make up some nice crusty garlic bread to go with it that last 20 minutes.
Multa beni` enjoy

#1252148 --- 02/04/11 11:57 PM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: RedGreen]
RedGreen Offline

Well here's another soup I have made off and on for 30 years. Someone wanted my recipe recently. I don't use recipes as I've said many times I just make stuff and I don't measure things either. So I finally put this on paper and text when I made it for my son the other night. 1 week to go and he's gone UGH.
This has a lot of ingredients and requires a lot of chopping but it is so worth it.

Shrimp chowder

Ingredients:
6 slices bacon cooked crisp
1/4# salt pork cooked crisp
1 good size white onion chopped, like about a cup( here we go right? lol)
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery, like 2 stalks
3-4 cloves garlic FINELY chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine, anything you have on hand should work I like to use Sautern
2 palmfulls of basil, that's like 2 teaspoons full
1 palmfull white pepper. Many people don't know about white pepper. It's one of the Colonels 7 herbs and spices at KFC. ;\)
Small palmfull, like 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 palmfull thyme
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, or however you spell that lol
1# frozen corn. Sub like 3 cups fresh corn in season
4 large diced potatoes
1 1/2-2 quarts chicken stock. I make my own but canned will work.
1/2 cup butter.
1/2 cup flour, regular all purpose flour.
(3) half pints of heavy cream (yes this really isn't low cal but SOOOOOO good
1 half pint half and half. 8oz. milk can be subbed here.
1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
1 pound crabmeat.You can buy this canned but if you can get fresh wow go for it.
2 tablespoons bay seasoning. Not bay leaves bay seasoning it is a red powder type spice.

Place the bacon and salt pork in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove them, and reserve the grease. Allow the bacon and salt pork to cool, then crumble, and set aside with the grease.

Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent,clear, about 10 minutes. Pour in the white wine and and bring to a simmer. Season with the basil, white pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce. Add the corn and potatoes, then pour in the chicken stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
While the soup is simmering, melt 1/2 cup of butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour has turned the color of peanut butter to make a roux, about 10 minutes.

Stir the roux into the soup, and pour in the heavy cream, half-and-half cream, reserved bacon and grease, and shrimp and crab. Return to a simmer over medium-high heat, and cook until the shrimp are no longer translucent in the center, the potatoes are tender, and the soup has thickened, about 15 minutes.

It took me about as long to type this as it does to make the soup lol. Try this you will not be disappointed.

#1263614 --- 03/27/11 03:58 AM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: RedGreen]
Big Ben Offline

Loc: ney york,seneca
REDGREEN... I'm bingeing for grilling, what you got for like stuffed pork chops or stuffed chicken breast.

I don't know how .

The soup sound great.

I enhance people's lives

#1263805 --- 03/28/11 02:39 AM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: Big Ben]
RedGreen Offline

Well Ben I grill both chicken and pork often, but not stuffed. In my opinion that is better left for indoor oven cooking. Reason being your meats will take twice as long to cook and will allow the stuffing to get up to temp. As to procedure it's simple really just butterfly your meat and stuff it. Use boneless/skinless chicken breasts and start on the fat side. Don't cut deep enough where the two halves actually seperate keep all one piece of meat. For chops buy nice fat loin ones and do the same thing.

#1264058 --- 03/29/11 12:57 AM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: RedGreen]
Big Ben Offline

Loc: ney york,seneca
Got ya ! I looked on line for this,found alot.

Cook on grill alot but charcoal i like best with hickory/apple woods .

Never stuffed... and i don't know what to stuff with. THANKS.

I enhance people's lives

#1264075 --- 03/29/11 01:44 AM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: Big Ben]
RedGreen Offline

Yes I do the same thing, real charcoal and I like to add some hickory twigs also. I soak them in water first so they give off a lot of smoke, and add them after the charcoal has burned down most of the way. That's flavour country lol.

As to the stuffing heck I use stovetop and just jazz it up a bit with some extra spice(s). They make chicken and pork flavours and they're not bad at all.

#1264150 --- 03/29/11 01:55 PM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: RedGreen]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
I made greens & beans yesterday & used kale since I had it on hand. Not the same, but good enough to scratch the itch.

#1264269 --- 03/29/11 09:43 PM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: past tense]
RedGreen Offline

That sounds great, I haven't had greens-n-beans or pasta e fagiole since the '09 St. Anthonys festival. I can make it, but not like Frankie P's recipe.

#1264633 --- 03/31/11 01:38 AM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: past tense]
swfl Offline

Loc: swfl
Must be the season ;\)
I did have to go to a few places to find the escarole - so good! Kale seems easier to find but...

#1264634 --- 03/31/11 01:39 AM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: RedGreen]
swfl Offline

Loc: swfl
Haven't been there in a while but last time I was it didn't taste like his recipes - I think he took it with him \:\(

#1264835 --- 03/31/11 07:09 PM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: swfl]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Plenty of escarole at the grocery store, but not in my kitchen at the moment. Escarole is far superior, but I think the kale was better on day 2. Most soup is better on day 2 of course, but the kale took on more flavor and got a bit softer.

#1304328 --- 10/24/11 09:11 PM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: past tense]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
Bump

#1308153 --- 11/17/11 01:07 AM Re: Time for Soup! [Re: Della]
Red22 Offline

Red lentil soup with carrots, ginger, and potatoes. Topped with plain yogurt, a squeeze of lime, and some chopped cilantro. Good stuff.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >