FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#902911 --- 10/23/08 01:02 PM Re: Long John Silvers??? [Re: Geneva_grl]
Sovereign King Offline

Loc: Auditioning on Broadway
Originally Posted By: Geneva_grl
It's the economy in general that is in the toilet, not just Geneva's. Have you not read the paper or watched TV or kept up with the stock market? The entire COUNTRY is in a recession, if not yet, a depression.
LJS's was a hole anyway. I'm sure it closed from lack of business but not from the economy in Geneva. More like no one wanted to eat in a filthy restaurant. You don't see Subway, Quinzno's, Wendy's, McDonald's, the numerous pizza places or any other so-called "fast-food"-type restaurant in Geneva closing, now do you?

Jeez you are such an idiot!!!!! OMG OMG OMG it's not Geneva OMG OMG OMG...

Yes moron I follow what i going on with the economy... I know what is going on in... Yes it has an impact, but correct me if I'm wrong? Didn't places like waffle works and burger king close in Geneva close before all of us this? Ummm... Yes I think it did... ;\)

Is the same happening in other towns in your County? Nope...

Sorry you don't like to hear it, but what I said is true, Geneva's economy could not handle the food business it had and it started collapsing in on itself...

No need to freak out on because I pointed out a truth about your beloved Geneva...

If your local economy cannot handle it it does not mean every place will fail...

FingerLakes1.com
#902941 --- 10/23/08 01:15 PM Re: Long John Silvers??? [Re: Sovereign King]
Geneva_grl Offline

Loc: G-Town
That is only three (Burger King, Waffle Works, and LJS) out of more than a dozen "fast-food"-type places in Geneva to close. Not such a bad percentage. But, wait, according to you, I'm an idiot. What do I know about ratios or percentages?
How many places in your beloved Penn Yan have closed lately?

#902972 --- 10/23/08 01:42 PM Re: Long John Silvers??? [Re: Geneva_grl]
Sovereign King Offline

My beloved Penn Yan? Hahaha... Way to prove yourself to be an idiot... Penn Yan's a hole... Oh yea, but I'd rather live in Penn Yan then Geneva, I guess...

...back on topic... What do you want to know, who many businesses have closed in Penn Yan? How much business has closed in Geneva? Or fast food related busienss? If fat food, sorry fast food ... Off the top of my head Pudgies is all I can think of about 3-4 years ago when the Chinese Buffet leased the building from the Cleary's who have been in the building since something the 70's...

Now if Burger King, LJC's, and a few others opened here in the past ten years.... I would bet money on the fact that they would probably close... I would be the first to tell you that they collapsed because the economy could not support itself in this town... I wouldn't argue that loosing a couple/few fast food places isn't a bad average for having 3 pizzeria's, 3 chinese places Mc Donald's plus all the bars and gas stations that serve food... Not to mention small restaurants...

It can be predicted that not much more food related business can be supported here before it crumbles... That is why we have an empty lot that is owned by a developer that owns a chain of Wendy's (or is it Arby's I forget) We don't have one of those restaurants on that empty plot of land that he owns because he knows it would be a bad business move... You can see it here, the only difference is the developers didn't see it coming in Geneva when they those stores opened... That is also why besides Tim Horton's, what is the major chain restaurant in Geneva?

#902982 --- 10/23/08 01:55 PM Re: Long John Silvers??? [Re: Sovereign King]
Geneva_grl Offline

Major chains in Geneva beside Tim Horton's...Dunkin' Donuts, Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell, Arby's, Friendly's, Wendy's, McDonald's, Quiznos, Subway..all major chains and still going strong in Geneva. So, what exactly is your point? That Geneva cannot sustain in a bad economy? Seems that those places are sustaining very well. However, the only "chain" that I frequent is Tim Horton's. I'm not into fast-food. I prefer to cook my own meals and, occasionally, I will get a pizza or a sub (Momberger's is still the BEST for subs) from one of the local pizza parlors (not Pizza Hut).

#903018 --- 10/23/08 02:27 PM Re: Long John Silvers??? [Re: Geneva_grl]
Sovereign King Offline

So, what exactly is your point? That Geneva cannot sustain in a bad economy?

No I don't believe I said that at all... When I press submit does my post gain words on the other side of the screen?

I said nothing about Geneva being able to sustain in a bad economy... I said Geneva's economy couldn't sustain as many fast food places it had, causing some to close... Huge differnce...

Think of it as supply and demand, but in reverse...

You have X amount of people willing to spend money in these places... If you have only a limited number of people willing to patron these places, only the strong will survive...

Lets say a small office building of 30 people has 3 hot dog carts... We both own 1 cart, the 3rd by someone else... The office building is open 5 days a week and the company gives everyone a token for 1 hot dog for lunch... Each of the 3 of us has to sell 50 hot dogs in the 5 day work week to stay in business... It is feasible right? Now there is a problem with the company and 10 people get laid off, leaving 20 people in the office who each still one hot dog for lunch... The 3 of us must still sell 3 hot dogs if we want to stay in business... Can the local economy (the office) still support 3 hot dog stands? Lets now say my hot dog stand is always dirty, covered with mustard and my dogs are sub par... Lets even go on the ledge and say I am thinking of closing already, I am loosing money by staying open... Now the closes me down and gives me 3 days to clean up my cart, if my cart is clean I'm aloud to open... I say forget it, its not worth it, there is not enough people buying hotdogs in the office building, why waste my time and money... So now am closed fr good because my place was dirty or because the local economy couldn't support it?

Major chains in Geneva beside Tim Horton's...Dunkin' Donuts, Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell, Arby's, Friendly's, Wendy's, McDonald's, Quiznos, Subway..all major chains and still going strong in Geneva. So, what exactly is your point? That Geneva cannot sustain in a bad economy? Seems that those places are sustaining very well. However, the only "chain" that I frequent is Tim Horton's. I'm not into fast-food. I prefer to cook my own meals and, occasionally, I will get a pizza or a sub (Momberger's is still the BEST for subs) from one of the local pizza parlors (not Pizza Hut).

Originally Posted By: Sovereign King
If your local economy cannot handle it it does not mean every place will fail...

Edited by Sovereign King (10/23/08 02:30 PM)

#903040 --- 10/23/08 02:57 PM Re: Long John Silvers??? [Re: Sovereign King]
Geneva_grl Offline

I believe that Waffle Works and Burger King closed because the buildings were bought, as were several private homes, for the construction of the new Rite-Aid store. Waffle Works was definitely bought for that purpose. BK may have closed due to lack of business, but when you are competing with McDonald's practically next door and Wendy's across the street, someone is going to lose and that was BK. LJS, which had been in Geneva for a number of years (more than I care to remember), was most likely due to the same fate as BK. Too many other options for fast-food. If you can't compete, you lose. That's the bottom line.

#903044 --- 10/23/08 03:06 PM Re: Long John Silvers??? [Re: Geneva_grl]
Sovereign King Offline

Oh I got it, Waffle Works closed years and years ago because Rite Aid bought it? That's also the same reason BK closed how long ago? Not that Rite Aid bought two abandoned buildings? Are you listening to yourself?

Too many other options for fast-food. If you can't compete, you lose. That's the bottom line.

Wow seriously... Am I being punked? Of course too many options blah blah blah... That is what I am saying... If Geneva's local economy cannot support X number of fast food places some will cease to exist...

You are finally getting it... Amazing...

#903061 --- 10/23/08 03:23 PM Re: Long John Silvers??? [Re: Sovereign King]
Geneva_grl Offline

Are you listening to YOURself? Waffle Works closed only a couple of years ago because, yes, Rite-Aid DID buy that property from whomever owned it(in my estimation, that is not years and years ago). Perhaps you are referring to Perkins or Denny's? Rite-Aid also bought three, I believe, privately owned homes on the adjacent street (I'm sure the homeowners got more than a fair price, for which I'm happy for them).

Harvest Hill sold out to Walmart a few years ago because Walmart wanted to expand into a SuperCenter and the Harvest Hill property was adjacent to Walmart. Tell me I'm also wrong about that.

With that being said, I have better things to do than to play at sparring with you.

#903066 --- 10/23/08 03:29 PM Re: Long John Silvers??? [Re: Geneva_grl]
LovInABox Offline

Loc: Seneca County
I worked at BK for 5 yrs.. ending in 99. BK was incredibly busy..back then. the reason i believe it closed a cple years ago was because of the management and staff. I left because the managers were awfil to work for...(And i was a supervisor!) The blond bimbo who took over my spot, (who now works at the eastview mall one) ran everyone out the door. Help was coming and going.. turn over rate was high. That was 8 yrs ago! I cant imagine what it was right before it closed.. customers were sick of the attitudes and the filthy staff.. so they quit coming. Cant say I blame them.
It's too bad really.. SF is always busy.. so, I think the demand is still there.. and if they brought a BK back, with better management.. and something other then druggies and scum to work there.. they would do fine again.

#903074 --- 10/23/08 03:35 PM Re: Long John Silvers??? [Re: Geneva_grl]
Sovereign King Offline

With that being said, I have better things to do than to play at sparring with you.

Hopefully one of them is getting acquainted with common sense... Bye...

#903075 --- 10/23/08 03:35 PM Re: Long John Silvers??? [Re: Geneva_grl]
Sweetcakes Offline

Loc: Southeast of Disorder
Stats, Percentages and Ratios can always be " Adjusted to fits the needs of what they represent"

#903076 --- 10/23/08 03:36 PM Re: Long John Silvers??? [Re: LovInABox]
Sweetcakes Offline

Loc: Southeast of Disorder
I worked there when it first open...They were never from the get go the favorite here..Wonder how they lasted so long.

#903090 --- 10/23/08 03:57 PM Re: Long John Silvers??? [Re: Sweetcakes]
LovInABox Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Oh, i didnt say it was the favorite.( i choose Mickey D's over BK anyday) but it was ALOT busier then it was before it closed.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3