FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#884381 --- 09/17/08 09:16 PM Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart
Nekoyasha Offline

Loc: NY
So, does anyone know what is going into the old Canandaigua Wal-mart? It has been repainted (in tan colors) and the parking lot has been all redone. Someone said because of the colors, it could be a Target. Someone else said they heard a Staples.
Any rumors or facts out there?

FingerLakes1.com
#884434 --- 09/17/08 11:09 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Nekoyasha]
KoDSC Offline

Loc: Here.
I've been curious about it too.

A Target wouldn't be bad, but would they put it right next to WalMart? Rumor I heard was a Sam's Club.

...As long as its not yet ANOTHER pharmacy....

There's been some activity in there lately, though. Probably will know soon who's coming in with "now hiring" signs.

#884439 --- 09/18/08 12:10 AM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: KoDSC]
Nekoyasha Offline

Yeah, a Target wouldn't be bad (another option for normal shopping). I could *probably* see them putting them near each other, as look at how close our pharmacies are (ie: Walgreens & Rite Aid) - and like you, good grief, we don't need another pharmacy! Sam's Club would make sense, but I just don't think that would fit - unless they were to add onto it somewhere in the back or to the right?
I hate when they get all these new stores ready, and nobody ever knows anything until shortly before a grand opening. Ugh, must everything be so top secret? \:\)
Wish I knew more what was coming in the new Bed, Bath & Beyond plaza.....was rumored to be a Borders, and I forget the other I heard about....

#884440 --- 09/18/08 12:32 AM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Nekoyasha]
Sovereign King Offline

Loc: Auditioning on Broadway
I would highly doubt Walmart would let a scenario happen where a Target comes in next door (in a building they used to occupy) whether they owned the property or leased it.

A Sam's club would be nice.

Loopnet lists the property as "off market" Hmmm...

http://www.loopnet.com/property/15031219/3191-County-Road-10/

Has anyone tried looking up a building permit? It might let the cat out of the bag if it says something like (whatever) Stores Inc. ;\)

#884445 --- 09/18/08 12:55 AM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Sovereign King]
Nekoyasha Offline

Thanks for sharing that link, Sovereign King!
We asked a Wal-Mart employee if they knew what was going in the old Wal-Mart.....their answer: "We have nothing to do with the old building." We said we heard a Target was coming, they said "That wouldn't be big enough for a Target."
Target is the same size, far as I can tell, as the old normal Wal-Marts. (Are there any 'super' Targets)? So I can certainly see a Target fitting there. Their first answer was kinda dumb, as it's not what we asked. \:\)
Will have to see if I can find out info on a building permit...but I'm not exactly where to look just yet.

#884447 --- 09/18/08 01:11 AM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Nekoyasha]
Sovereign King Offline

I think that space was rather small for a target Walmart... Especially how big these stores have gotten... From what I've seen it is not big enough for a target... ...but what do I know. I still don't see Walmart allowing a target to go into one of it's former locations next to a target... Then again what do I know.

Here's something to think about... That building has been empty for three years now... In that three years we have seen major corporate owned stores pass it up... Peebles built in the old P&C or was it Ames (I'm tired I can't remember), Bed Bath & Beyond and Pet(whatever) went into the new plaza... That is just 2008... The building was available but passed up for one reason or another by at least three companies (not including companies that looked that decided not to build in Canandaigua). So why did they pass it up? The age? Is the building falling apart? Are they asking to much for rent/purchase price? The location? Who knows it could be a million reasons... ...but if three good companies like that passed it, it is probably not because they didn't know about, but for a reason. So I wouldn't be surprised if you are disappointed with what decided it was suitable.

#884521 --- 09/18/08 06:50 AM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Nekoyasha]
LovInABox Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Target would be nice.. b ut why would they pain it walmart colors? The waterloo walmart just got painted in tan..

#884633 --- 09/18/08 10:02 AM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: LovInABox]
Sovereign King Offline

That building was painted tan years ago... Again I'll put my money on it not being a Target...

#884638 --- 09/18/08 10:06 AM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Sovereign King]
Sovereign King Offline

Besides how many empty lots are there advertised for sale/lease along 332 and 5&20? If Target wanted to be in Canadaigua don't you think they would be already? It's not like Target was sitting around waiting for a place they could get into in Canandaigua, so they could get into he old run down Walmart building 3 years later.

#884648 --- 09/18/08 10:40 AM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Sovereign King]
Nekoyasha Offline

That was something else the Wal-Mart employee said....that the old building needed a lot of work. Who knows I guess how much fixing up they had to/did/need to/if they do on the inside.
Sooner or later I guess we'll see what goes in there.
I wish PetSmart came rather than Petco....Petco charges asolutely ridiculous prices....trust me, I know from many years of pet shopping experience. They are terribly overpriced. Gouging I would even say.

#884710 --- 09/18/08 12:03 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Nekoyasha]
Genevan Offline

Loc: Geneva
When Walmart boxes fail or if they upgrade to super-size they tend hold onto the empty shell to ward off competition...this is how they downgrade communities in their wake. Heaven forbid a Mom and Pop store open in its place...

#884725 --- 09/18/08 12:35 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Genevan]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
Actually, the building was just recently repainted. The Waterloo Walmart (still open) has also been repainted to these colors. Knowing that they are building a new Super Walmart in Waterloo, I have no idea why they would put the money into repainting the building. There must be a plan.....

#884735 --- 09/18/08 12:59 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Greymane]
14me14u Offline

Loc: State of Mind
Is it possible that Big Lots will be moving into a better location/building? The new one in Geneva is not bad compared to the old one!

I can see the old WalMart being suitable for Big Lots. We also have to consider the other smaller chain store that are out there.

A Best Buy, Circuit City or even a Marshall's would be cool! Burlington Coat Factory?

Oooh...I can't wait to see! It's like Christmas!

#884748 --- 09/18/08 01:20 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Greymane]
Genevan Offline

Originally Posted By: Greymane
Actually, the building was just recently repainted. The Waterloo Walmart (still open) has also been repainted to these colors. Knowing that they are building a new Super Walmart in Waterloo, I have no idea why they would put the money into repainting the building. There must be a plan.....

Maybe this is exactly the impression Walmart wants to make...

#884758 --- 09/18/08 01:41 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: 14me14u]
Sovereign King Offline

Originally Posted By: 14me14u

I can see the old WalMart being suitable for Big Lots. We also have to consider the other smaller chain store that are out there.

A Best Buy, Circuit City or even a Marshall's would be cool! Burlington Coat Factory?

Oooh...I can't wait to see! It's like Christmas!

All former Walmart's:

Big Lots

Best Buy.

Burlington Coat Factory

#884763 --- 09/18/08 02:04 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Sovereign King]
Sovereign King Offline

I was thinking today that I am surprised that Walmart has not come up with some type of store theme (you know not like Walmart) like a furniture, discount clothing, or electronics, etc. type store to put into it's old buildings...

#884781 --- 09/18/08 02:37 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Nekoyasha]
lilfiretech Offline

Loc: Geneva, NY
It could possibly be the Spirit Halloween Store. Last year they were located where the new Peebles is now. And since it is only a seasonal store who knows they might temporarily be locating there. Had to through my guess in...however would love to see a Target personally.

#884795 --- 09/18/08 03:15 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: lilfiretech]
Sovereign King Offline

^^^ That sounds like the most realistic one yet.

#884798 --- 09/18/08 03:23 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: lilfiretech]
Nekoyasha Offline

A possibility, but I wouldn't think they would repaint & redo the parking lot for a temp store (unless the work was to be done anyway). I was thinking it could go into the other half of the old P&C, but probably too small now with Peebles.
Wait....I just checked the Spirit official site - look here, says it will be on Main St:

699 S Main Street
Canandaigua, NY 14424

http://www.spirithalloween.com/StoreLocation.aspx?state=NY

I'm a little confused, as the bank is there on the corner...

#884805 --- 09/18/08 03:35 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Nekoyasha]
pixiegirl1114 Offline

Loc: Fingerlakes
I just saw it the other day its in the old Wegmans plaza.

#884807 --- 09/18/08 03:47 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: pixiegirl1114]
Nekoyasha Offline

I was thinking that, but on the mapquest aerial map it was down further. Thanks! I didn't realize there was an opening in the old Wegmans (don't go by it often).

#884837 --- 09/18/08 04:48 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: pixiegirl1114]
KoDSC Offline

Loc: Here.
Yeah, Spirit's in the old bookstore in the CNB plaza by Tim Horton's. They've got their monkeyman dancing by the road already.

Another whispered possibility for the old WallyWorld was Kohls. Not big enough, though, is it?

Big Lots could use a new store, though. It'd be nice if they hopped over there.

#884958 --- 09/18/08 07:21 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: KoDSC]
Sovereign King Offline

Speaking of Walmart whats up with the new bank in it? Any good? I've been to their website when I noticed the branch in the bank about a month ago... A Kentucky company, making a massive expansion in Upstate, NY inside Walmart stores.

Anybody have any experience with them? Good? Bad?

#885135 --- 09/19/08 05:38 AM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Sovereign King]
14me14u Offline

I guess we will all have to be surprised when they announce the new store!

Then we can start a new thread about it...the good, the bad and the ugly re: the new store in Canandaigua.

Either way, Canandaigua is growing and we can only hope the new tenants coming to our area will boost the economy.

#885240 --- 09/19/08 09:18 AM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: 14me14u]
14me14u Offline

UPDATE!!

From the mouth's of babes...

My 16 year old daughter said it was in the paper. They are putting in some sort of sporting goods store in the old Canandaigua WalMart.

Dick's or Bass maybe?

Not sure if she's right but it makes sense.

#885373 --- 09/19/08 12:58 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: 14me14u]
SilverFox Offline

Loc: Waterloo
Give that girl a gold star. A teenager that reads the newspaper is special.

#885386 --- 09/19/08 01:12 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: SilverFox]
14me14u Offline

Originally Posted By: SilverFox
Give that girl a gold star. A teenager that reads the newspaper is special.

Ahh yes...I am quite proud of her! She reads everything in sight! When she gets bored, she will read food labels and tell me how bad the stuff is for me!
She collects news articles that she feels are related to the economy or the decline of our political structure! She saves articles about unfortunate deaths in our area because she said it reminds her to appreciate life even though the stories are sad.
As far as the Sporting Goods Store, she told me it would be a great addition to the Canandaigua economy so she hopes they follow through.
She is a special kid for sure!

#885419 --- 09/19/08 01:56 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: 14me14u]
Sovereign King Offline

What paper was this im and around what day. I would like to read it...

#885423 --- 09/19/08 02:00 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Sovereign King]
14me14u Offline

It must have been the Daily Messenger and it had to be on or around Tuesday or Wednesday. I don't get the paper but she read it during the school day.

#885428 --- 09/19/08 02:06 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Sovereign King]
wovensilver42 Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Originally Posted By: Sovereign King
Speaking of Walmart whats up with the new bank in it? Any good? I've been to their website when I noticed the branch in the bank about a month ago... A Kentucky company, making a massive expansion in Upstate, NY inside Walmart stores.

Anybody have any experience with them? Good? Bad?

WoodForest Bank, I opened an account there a couple weeks ago and love it so far! They send you an email daily of the transactions that have been posted, so that saves having to log into the online banking to check. No problems so far with them.

#885491 --- 09/19/08 04:37 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: wovensilver42]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Seneca Falls,NY,
I would highly doubt that a Bass shop would go in an old walmart.

#886104 --- 09/20/08 08:39 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: sassyone]
Mr. Black Offline

Loc: Canandaigua NY
The plaza where Raymour Flanigans and BigLots are located is owned by Target Corporation.

-Jesse Jackson

#909068 --- 10/31/08 03:47 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Mr. Black]
Sovereign King Offline

So what did the old Wal Mart building become?

#909078 --- 10/31/08 04:01 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Sovereign King]
wovensilver42 Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Nothing yet, they just have it up for Lease.....

#909128 --- 10/31/08 06:24 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: wovensilver42]
Sovereign King Offline

Huh guess i was right to begin with...

Edited by Sovereign King (10/31/08 06:43 PM)

#909317 --- 11/01/08 12:13 AM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Sovereign King]
paramedic268 Offline

Loc: Phelps NY
The old Wal Mart building is in pretty rough shape. I believe it used to be an old Nicoles years ago....Wal Mart (according to the tax department) still owns the property, I would highly doubt that Target will be moving there, that would be business suicide.

#909388 --- 11/01/08 07:43 AM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: paramedic268]
Judy Offline

I would LOVE to have a Target closer than 45 miles away. The Geneva Walmart could use the competition. Once KMart closed, they seemed to get sloppy, but really, I like Target so much better anyway.

#909518 --- 11/01/08 01:42 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: paramedic268]
Sovereign King Offline

Originally Posted By: paramedic268
The old Wal Mart building is in pretty rough shape. I believe it used to be an old Nicoles years ago....Wal Mart (according to the tax department) still owns the property, I would highly doubt that Target will be moving there, that would be business suicide.

I don''t if tax dept. info is accurate... Just simply going on the fact the building is not listed on Wal Mart reality... All of the former stores they used to own are listed for sale or lease including the one listed for lease in Elimra/Big FLats... I don't see why, if they handled a property they own as close as Big Flats, why they wouldn't deal with the Wal Mart building in Canandaigua... Doesn't make sense.

Anyway it doesn't matter if Wal Mart still owns the building... It's not like if it was another owner a Target would go in (not like they are fighting target off with a stick, target is obviously not interested)... It's not a bunch of dummies are handling the business. I cannot believe anyone believes Wal Mart would allow target into it's former building, right next store. It's called a clause and they put them in contracts... If Wal Mart agrees to lease a property from anyone te owner will have to agree not to lease, or sell the property to any of Wal marts competitors for X amount of time. Why would property owner agree to this? It must be like a dream to have Wal mart come on your property... Big business, that is not going out of business, one big rent check in stead of 5-10 small ones...

#909519 --- 11/01/08 01:44 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Judy]
Sovereign King Offline

Originally Posted By: Judy
I would LOVE to have a Target closer than 45 miles away. The Geneva Walmart could use the competition. Once KMart closed, they seemed to get sloppy, but really, I like Target so much better anyway.

AGAIN!?! Really the Target talk again? Face it people you are not getting a Target! If Target wanted to come to Canandaigua, they would have already. There is land for lease around Canandaigua... It's no like they are waiting to come in...

#909544 --- 11/01/08 02:44 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Sovereign King]
lotsoftrouble Offline

Loc: Geneva NY
WOW- who pee'd in your cornflakes this morning? Cranky much?

I agree that its unlikely that Target will open in place of the old Walmart purely because of its proximity to Walmart and also because Target's new business model usually has it paired up with other larger stores in one large shopping retail center.

But to say that a Target is never opening there is a tad ridiculous, considering that there have been quite a few new bigger stores opening there this last year. Peebles, BB and Beyond, Walgreens, RV/E, HomeGoods, and Panera. Better than Geneva which only sees stores closing like Steve and Barrys.

#909550 --- 11/01/08 02:56 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: lotsoftrouble]
Sovereign King Offline

I'm not cranky, but come on already with the Target, if they wanted to be here already they would... Maybe in the future, but not anytime soon... I'd put money on it...

As far as Steve and Barry's closing in Geneva... It had nothing nothing to do with Geneva it is a corporate decision after filing chapter 11 bankruptcy to close many of the new stores that popped up during it's massive expansion years ago. The company wants to operate a smaller base of stores in an attempt to "better positioning the company to reach its profitability goals." (that's from them. ) If you wanted to use an example, that was a bad one.

#909551 --- 11/01/08 02:59 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: lotsoftrouble]
Sovereign King Offline

Originally Posted By: lotsoftrouble
But to say that a Target is never opening there is a tad ridiculous, considering that there have been quite a few new bigger stores opening there this last year. Peebles, BB and Beyond, Walgreens, RV/E, HomeGoods, and Panera. Better than Geneva which only sees stores closing like Steve and Barrys.

I didn't say never getting one... I said face it you are not gettng one. It's a small but big difference... it's like when a kid keeps on saying they want a puppy and the parent says face it your not getting a puppy... Does that mean the kid is never going to get a puppy in his or her lifetime? Or is that what you say to a kid who constantly goes on and on about wanting a puppy at the time. ;\)

#909565 --- 11/01/08 03:27 PM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Sovereign King]
lotsoftrouble Offline

Loc: Geneva NY
Except that they closed the stores that were doing poorly first, but you're right it was a poor example I guess.
But its the only business that's opened up in Geneva since I moved here, thats not a pharmacy or a bank, so its all I could use.
My point is Canandaigua is growing and that anything could happen. But hey if Target ever wanted to come to Geneva... there's plenty of empty buildings for them to renovate and use.

#913609 --- 11/07/08 01:15 AM Re: Canandaigua - Old Wal-Mart [Re: Nekoyasha]
thinkitover18 Offline

Loc: New York
From what we've been told its going to be Ontario County's Show World..stupiiddd

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >