FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#881274 --- 09/13/08 08:24 AM "Apple Crisp" made with Zucchini
cookie Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Has anyone tried this. I hear it is awesome and tastes just like apple crisp. Like to know if anyone has done this and what your opinions are.

FingerLakes1.com
#881278 --- 09/13/08 08:52 AM Re: "Apple Crisp" made with Zucchini [Re: cookie]
donedirtcheap Offline

Loc: boondocks
I dont have the recipe but yes I have had it and at first I didnt believe it was Zucchini..it really tasted just like apples.Very good stuff.

#881289 --- 09/13/08 09:40 AM Re: "Apple Crisp" made with Zucchini [Re: cookie]
nymmamma Offline
Silver Member

Loc: at the game
Originally Posted By: cookie
Has anyone tried this. I hear it is awesome and tastes just like apple crisp. Like to know if anyone has done this and what your opinions are.

Do you have the recipe to share? I'd like to try it.

#881300 --- 09/13/08 10:27 AM Re: "Apple Crisp" made with Zucchini [Re: nymmamma]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Someplace Else
You can do this with green tomatoes, too. And green tomato "apple" pie is also quite good.

#881302 --- 09/13/08 10:46 AM Re: "Apple Crisp" made with Zucchini [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
Rick-the-Builder Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Finger Lakes USA
Mom's zucchini "apple" crisp Recipe

Ingredients:
1 large zucchini peeled, cored and sliced in apple-like chunks, about 8 cups
3/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 cups flour (1 white - 2 graham is good!)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup, 2 sticks, margarine

Instructions:
Place zucchini and lemon juice in large sauce pan. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until tender, about 15 min. Add nutmeg, 1 cup white sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Blend until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.

To prepare crust:
Combine flour, 1/2 cup white sugar, brown sugar, margarine. Pat 3/4s of mixture into 9 x 13 baking pan. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.

Pour zucchini mix over crust. It will be runny. Top with remaining crust mixture. Bake 30 - 35 minutes more.

Notes:
Great fun to serve to folks who insist they hate zucchini! No one will know this is not apple crisp if you don't tell them.

#881439 --- 09/13/08 05:38 PM Re: "Apple Crisp" made with Zucchini [Re: Rick-the-Builder]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
Just when I decided to try South Beach \:\(

#896700 --- 10/09/08 06:25 PM Re: "Apple Crisp" made with Zucchini [Re: Rick-the-Builder]
Senecamom Offline

Loc: On a journey......
Originally Posted By: Rick-the-Builder
Mom's zucchini "apple" crisp Recipe

Ingredients:
1 large zucchini peeled, cored and sliced in apple-like chunks, about 8 cups
3/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 cups flour (1 white - 2 graham is good!)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup, 2 sticks, margarine

Instructions:
Place zucchini and lemon juice in large sauce pan. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until tender, about 15 min. Add nutmeg, 1 cup white sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Blend until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.

To prepare crust:
Combine flour, 1/2 cup white sugar, brown sugar, margarine. Pat 3/4s of mixture into 9 x 13 baking pan. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.

Pour zucchini mix over crust. It will be runny. Top with remaining crust mixture. Bake 30 - 35 minutes more.

Notes:
Great fun to serve to folks who insist they hate zucchini! No one will know this is not apple crisp if you don't tell them.

I made this today and it was fantastic.

I would bet my house that no one can tell the difference, in fact my husband said he was glad I used the apples from the orchard rather than P&C---LOL!!!!

I don't have the heart to tell them its 10 cups of diced zucchini!!!

I did substitute 1 1/2 cups of flour with oatmeal. also doubled the cinnamon, and added 1 tbls of ground ginger.
Thanks for a "keeper" recipe.