FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#851530 --- 07/31/08 11:06 PM man dies a week after attending K-Rock concert
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Loc: between here and there
People need to start taking responsiblity for themselves.
Sorry that he died ,but as a friend on here said ,do it at your own risk.

Westmoreland man dies a week after attending K-Rock concert
by John Stith Thursday July 31, 2008, 11:12 AM

Li-Hua Lan/The Post-Standard
The 2008 K-Rockathon drew huge crowds to the Weedsport Speedway July 19.
State police in Marcy are investigating the death of a Westmoreland man from injuries they believe he suffered while attending the K-Rockathon concert at the Weedsport Speedway July 19.
WTVH-TV Channel 5 interview
James M. Cieri, 20, suffered a fractured skull just below his left ear and died Saturday at Faxton-St. Luke's Healthcare in New Hartford after undergoing surgery to relieve pressure caused the swelling of his brain.

He was buried Wednesday in Evergreen Cemetery in Westmoreland.

Cieri's mother, Kristie Roux, of 7046 W. South St., said her son had never been at a K-rock concert before. He preferred rap to modern-rock music, she said.

Friends who attended the concert with Cieri gave her conflicting stories about how he could have been injured. Some said he fell in the bleachers and hit his head, others said he was in or around the "mosh pit," an area in front of a stage where very physical and rough dancing takes place, while still others said they saw him lying on the ground in the mosh pit.

Roux said her son complained of a headache on the way home, and collapsed after reaching a friend's home in Westmoreland early on the morning of July 20. He was taken to the hospital, where he spent a week conscious but suffering cognitive loss because of his head injury.

FingerLakes1.com
#851583 --- 08/01/08 06:53 AM Re: man dies a week after attending K-Rock concert [Re: reilley]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sunny and warm
Terrible. I never could understand that mosh crap...and I am glad niether of my kids induldged in something so stupid. I see nothing exciting about smashing into people to ultimately cause injury.

#851672 --- 08/01/08 09:42 AM Re: man dies a week after attending K-Rock concert [Re: Yetta Nother]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
the real sad thing from this is no-one will learn any lesson from what tragically happened and the moshing will continue....lord of the flys gone bad.....

#851702 --- 08/01/08 10:35 AM Re: man dies a week after attending K-Rock concert [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

It should be against the law for such things.

#851957 --- 08/01/08 07:48 PM Re: man dies a week after attending K-Rock concert [Re: Yetta Nother]
Brad ONeill Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls NY
Originally Posted By: Yetta Nother
It should be against the law for such things.

Or just stay out of the mosh pit. You cant pass laws for every little thing out there that may or may not cause injury.

Very sad story though.

#851969 --- 08/01/08 08:02 PM Re: man dies a week after attending K-Rock concert [Re: Brad ONeill]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Yetta Nother, I used to mosh but was safe about it. Until I lost out to a Scandanavian girl who outdid Yankee Stadium Upper Deck (trying to be civil). I'm very sorry for this man and his family. I do a pretty mean moonwalk, but hope that you wouldn't outlaw it. Very sorry for your recent breakfast experience, but ya' oughta' see how I scramble eggs when moonwalking. Freedom of expression is a great thing. I'm still trying to figure out the petty and sweaty parable. Have a good day.

#852010 --- 08/01/08 08:28 PM Re: man dies a week after attending K-Rock concert [Re: ]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Scandanavian girl who outdid Yankee Stadium Upper Deck (trying to be civil)

please explain this parable.....not familiar at all with the jist....

#852017 --- 08/01/08 08:33 PM Re: man dies a week after attending K-Rock concert [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well Z she was anatomically enhanced. She asked me if I liked Swedish style. And I asked her if she was from Stockholm or Goteborg. She just gave me this look and took off. People are strange. It was at Nassau Coliseum.

#852032 --- 08/01/08 08:41 PM Re: man dies a week after attending K-Rock concert [Re: ]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Oh, now it is perfectly clear, swedish style anatomically enhanced moshing is a bit more unsafe..... You did the right thing trying to clarify the style....

#859038 --- 08/13/08 08:34 AM Re: man dies a week after attending K-Rock concert [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Carerinoa Offline

Loc: New York
My daughter went to an all day concert at the State Fair last year and of course was in and around a mosh pit. Apparently they pass people over head at these concerts and while this person was being passed over peoples heads they dropped him right ontop of my daughters head. Fearing my reaction she never told me about it until the next morning when the pain was so bad she couldn't take it anymore. Needless to say off to the ER we went and after many xrays of her neck and spine she was very lucky that the injury was not a fracture. She has no idea how lucky she is to still be walking. These kids need to be made aware of the dangers. I also agree that these actions should not be tolerated and if that means raising ticket prices to cover more security so be it.

#859214 --- 08/13/08 02:39 PM Re: man dies a week after attending K-Rock concert [Re: Carerinoa]
donedirtcheap Offline

Loc: boondocks
I was at the k-rock-a-thon concert that day and right near the mosh pit(being an old timer amongst kids that day I was curious)I have to agree Im glad they didnt have that when I was going to concerts regular in the 80's or so I remember.

That is really to bad..in my opionion they need to put a stop to moshing at these festavils as I seen alot of innocent bystanders get smacked that werent even part of it.

Too much alcohol too....never thought Id say that but there was alot of underage drinking going on...at least from my point of view...maybe they were of age but they sure didnt look it.

#862056 --- 08/18/08 05:35 AM Re: man dies a week after attending K-Rock concert [Re: donedirtcheap]
Scottie2Hottie Offline
Gold Member

Loc: aka Brightside
I feel they contained the alcohol this year...they only had 2 beer tents on opposite ends of the show.... In years past they had beer tents every couple feet including 2 on the track.... If they want to limit the alcohol even more they have to crack down on the tailgating...people arrive as early as 6 am and set up pong tables, couches, ez up tents ect.... and party from 6 am till after the show starts at noon.... At 12:30 when we went to go in the show there was a girl in line that fell down drunk 4 times....the 5th time she smashed her elbow and the paramedics took her away.... she was too drunk before the show even started!

IMHO mosh pits are at your own risk.... If you can't stand the heat....get out of the kitchen IMO

#862074 --- 08/18/08 06:35 AM Re: man dies a week after attending K-Rock concert [Re: ]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Linebacker26
Hey Yetta Nother, I used to mosh but was safe about it. Until I lost out to a Scandanavian girl who outdid Yankee Stadium Upper Deck (trying to be civil). I'm very sorry for this man and his family. I do a pretty mean moonwalk, but hope that you wouldn't outlaw it. Very sorry for your recent breakfast experience, but ya' oughta' see how I scramble eggs when moonwalking. Freedom of expression is a great thing. I'm still trying to figure out the petty and sweaty parable. Have a good day.

I would like to see you scramble eggs and moonwalk.....can't say I have seen that done......I haven't returned to the breakfast spot....I will either go to Penny's or Connie's. I figured it was a nice morning to sit outside and eat breakfast since the car show was going on. There were alot of people walking around so the fatc that I got moldy toast I thought was odd. You can figure out the petty sweaty parable.....just read it...it explains itself.

#862076 --- 08/18/08 06:39 AM Re: man dies a week after attending K-Rock concert [Re: Scottie2Hottie]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Scottie2Hottie
I feel they contained the alcohol this year...they only had 2 beer tents on opposite ends of the show.... In years past they had beer tents every couple feet including 2 on the track.... If they want to limit the alcohol even more they have to crack down on the tailgating...people arrive as early as 6 am and set up pong tables, couches, ez up tents ect.... and party from 6 am till after the show starts at noon.... At 12:30 when we went to go in the show there was a girl in line that fell down drunk 4 times....the 5th time she smashed her elbow and the paramedics took her away.... she was too drunk before the show even started!

IMHO mosh pits are at your own risk.... If you can't stand the heat....get out of the kitchen IMO

You don't always have a choice. You pay for a ticket and want to get as close as you can....just to find some idiot laying on top of your head....or you are being picked up off your feet being tosses over everyone elses head. I am glad that I am too old for this kind of thing.