FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#843134 --- 07/16/08 07:11 PM Recent Scam
Bonehead Offline

Loc: My Mind
Automated Phone message saying that the use of your bank card has been suspended. You are then directed to call a phone number at which time the person will ask for all of your personal, banking info including your PIN number(s). You know the rest of the story. You may want to beware of this scam coming to you in the form of a letter.

Edited by Bonehead (07/16/08 07:12 PM)

FingerLakes1.com
#843136 --- 07/16/08 07:14 PM Re: Recent Scam [Re: Bonehead]
donedirtcheap Offline

Loc: boondocks
I cant believe people would fall for this stuff..but unfortunatly..they do.

#843149 --- 07/16/08 07:30 PM Re: Recent Scam [Re: Bonehead]
sparky's back Offline

Loc: At Home..in the kitchen!!
Originally Posted By: Bonehead
Automated Phone message saying that the use of your bank card has been suspended. You are then directed to call a phone number at which time the person will ask for all of your personal, banking info including your PIN number(s). You know the rest of the story. You may want to beware of this scam coming to you in the form of a letter.

Wouldn't someone call their bank first?

#843152 --- 07/16/08 07:38 PM Re: Recent Scam [Re: donedirtcheap]
Bonehead Offline

One person I know of was taken by this scam without giving it a second thought. They were experiencing some hefty,financial issues and the scam came as no surprise to them. I, myself, had my entire account frozen by a Creditor and remained that way until I could resolve the issue, with my bank and then the creditor. It was a legal maneuver to get my money,and it worked. In short, persons in financial distress may very well believe this scam,as well as those that may panic because they depend on the card to meet their needs from day to day. Call YOUR Bank before taking any other action.

#843384 --- 07/17/08 07:45 AM Re: Recent Scam [Re: Bonehead]
h&tsmom Offline

Loc: NY
Both me and my husband got this phone call this morning on our CELL phones. He called me from work to tell me about it. They called me while I was on my cell phone with him. We don't even have the visa card from that bank that the call was from. I google the bank and on thier site there is a big red box saying that it is not them calling and do not call them back or give out any personal information.

#843387 --- 07/17/08 07:59 AM Re: Recent Scam [Re: h&tsmom]
Bonehead Offline

Wow...Somewhere on this forum there was a post with some info on how to opt out of solicitations coming to your cell phone. I also think there was a dead line to take advantage of the opertunity

#843391 --- 07/17/08 08:04 AM Re: Recent Scam [Re: Bonehead]
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Bonehead

No bank will ever ask for that info over the phone, ESPECIALLY your PIN.

#843392 --- 07/17/08 08:04 AM Re: Recent Scam [Re: Bonehead]
Plainjim Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
The "Do not call registry" can help with that problem too.

#843396 --- 07/17/08 08:11 AM Re: Recent Scam [Re: Plainjim]
h&tsmom Offline

Our cell phones were already added to the Don not call regeristy last year, but they called it anyways. I went to the site and did it again to make sure they are listed not to call.

#843400 --- 07/17/08 08:31 AM Re: Recent Scam [Re: ]
Bonehead Offline

I agree, when an issue truly exist,a bank will not ask for your PIN numbers and most likely,won't ask for your account numbers either. However, when a person can't afford to have anymore financial difficulties, they may tend to comply with the questions being ask in order to resolve the problem,not thinking that this is wrong or a scam,but moreso to avoid any further hardship to their already stressed, financial problems. The last thing they need is a frozen account,or bank card they think is useless.

#843481 --- 07/17/08 11:18 AM Re: Recent Scam [Re: Bonehead]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland

Auburn Police Department
Detective Bureau
Press Release

“Auburn Community Federal Credit Union Phone Scam”

The Auburn Police Department is fielding dozens of phone calls from members and non members of the Auburn Community Federal Credit Union stating that they have received an automated phone message regarding the suspension of their account. The message is asking the customer to call a given phone number and enter three pieces of information, your card number, your card expiration date and your personal identification number (PIN).

We are advising everyone that receives a similar call, DO NOT give out this information as it has been determined that this is a nationwide scam infecting different banks and their customers as far away as Alaska with implications that there is an overseas connection to this scam.

The Auburn Police Department has been advised that even non Auburn Community Federal Credit Union customers have given out their card information from other financial institutions. Banks will not ask you for this specific information via a phone call. If you are concerned about the status of your account, call your bank directly or visit the institution in person.

If you have received the suspect phone message but did not give out any information and only listened to the recording, you do not need to report this to the Police Department as your account information has not been compromised. If you have called back the given phone number and released your account information you need to first contact you financial institution and report that your account has been compromised. If it is determined that you have then suffered a financial loss from your account due to this scam and you are a resident of the City of Auburn, you can contact Det. McLoughlin at 315.255.4706 to report the loss from your account. If you live outside the City of Auburn and have been a victim of this scam you can contact either the Cayuga County Sheriff’s Department at 315.253.1222 or the New York State Police at 315.255.2766.

Prepared by: Lt. Shawn Butler / 315.255.4705

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#843538 --- 07/17/08 12:22 PM Re: Recent Scam [Re: Bonehead]
cookie Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Just got a phone call and the number was 888 203 7850, and they asked for the status of our bank acct. and then they hung up. Does this number ring a bell with anyone?

#843549 --- 07/17/08 12:45 PM Re: Recent Scam [Re: cookie]
La Revolucion Offline

Loc: Waterloo
People fall for these types of scams all the time, because people are, well, incredibly stupid.

#843790 --- 07/17/08 07:13 PM Re: Recent Scam [Re: cookie]
goingcrazyinny Offline

Originally Posted By: cookie
Just got a phone call and the number was 888 203 7850, and they asked for the status of our bank acct. and then they hung up. Does this number ring a bell with anyone?

If you google that number it appears it is Sprint/nextel's billing branch.

#843842 --- 07/17/08 08:47 PM Re: Recent Scam [Re: Bonehead]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
" In short, persons in financial distress may very well believe this scam,"

Unfortunately, the number of people in financial distress is rapidly rising, so this is a fertile scam field.

#843846 --- 07/17/08 08:54 PM Re: Recent Scam [Re: goingcrazyinny]
cookie Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Thanx for the information. Don't know why they are calling our number, we don't have sprint. maybe that's why they hung up.

Didn't know you could check 888 numbers by doing google. Thanx.