FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#842594 --- 07/16/08 06:27 AM Maple Grove Speedway
County Line Offline

Loc: Junius
To anyone who attended the festivities at the fairgrounds last night that honored the historical race drivers from the legendary Maple Grove Speedway, and was familiar with those in attendance, probably noticed a few, well, actually many, notable names that were missing, who should have been there. Do not get me wrong, as I thoroughly enjoyed the ceremony and it brought back some good memories, and the people who worked hard to put this together should be commended, especially the members from the Midstate Antique Racers Club, Paul Vasello, in particular...you guys did a great job. But, where was "Wee Willie" Allan, George Ely, Walt Mitchell, Johnny McArdell, who was advertised to be there, and Cliff Kotary, who "owned" this place for years. Dutch Hoag, was also advertised to be there, but they said he just had some surgery and was not able to attend. I may be wrong, and not to take anything away from Dutch, but I don't ever remember him racing at Maple Grove...still, his name is synonymous with the ones listed above, as the guys who "set the standard" for dirt track racing in New York State, in it's early years, and these names are known across the country.

Someone mentioned last night that there should be a "Hall of Fame" for Maple Grove Speedway, and I agree. I know that the DIRT organization has a Hall of Fame in Weedsport, but Waterloo Speedway, or Maple Grove Speedway, has enough history and heros to warrant it's own HOF, and it could be housed right there at the fairgrounds...does anyone agree? I spoke with with a member of the fair board last night, and he pretty much told me that from the crowd and interest that the deal drew last night, we can figure on it happening again next year, and I would guess that with more time to plan this event, it would only be better.

FingerLakes1.com
#842608 --- 07/16/08 06:53 AM Re: Maple Grove Speedway [Re: County Line]
L EE Offline

we got tired of waiting, so got up and left. 6 P M did not happen....

#843203 --- 07/16/08 08:30 PM Re: Maple Grove Speedway [Re: L EE]
Code Red Offline

Loc: Out of my mind....
I didn't go this time, but I took my dad to the last reunion they had there, when Bobby Lutz won the race. Most of the names mentioned as not being there this time were there then. Going past the fair grounds I see they have removed all of the guard rails. and most of the light poles in the infield. A nice old fashioned stock car race like they had back then would be a big draw, but they have ruined what was once one of the best short track tracks in New York state.
And I could be wrong but doesn't Poorman own the fair grounds and not Seneca County. This is what I have been told by people who should know what they are talking about.

#843206 --- 07/16/08 08:33 PM Re: Maple Grove Speedway [Re: Code Red]
Code Red Offline

Loc: Out of my mind....
And I maybe wrong but the car my dad drove at waterloo was a old Hoag car when he raced for Penn Yann Express. They bought him a new car and dad and another guy bought and raced his old car. So at least his old car ran at waterloo ( LOL).

#843777 --- 07/17/08 06:45 PM Re: Maple Grove Speedway [Re: Code Red]
racefan73 Offline

Loc: seneca-cayuga
I've heard alot of interesting stories about Maple Grove from my father and grandfather. Sure makes me feel as if I missed out on alot of great racing by never seeing a race there!

#843837 --- 07/17/08 08:36 PM Re: Maple Grove Speedway [Re: County Line]
babyblueyes Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY, US
Originally Posted By: County Line
Someone mentioned last night that there should be a "Hall of Fame" for Maple Grove Speedway, and I agree. I know that the DIRT organization has a Hall of Fame in Weedsport, but Waterloo Speedway, or Maple Grove Speedway, has enough history and heros to warrant it's own HOF, and it could be housed right there at the fairgrounds...does anyone agree?

I agree! Even though my grandfather never raced, he owned several cars and had "Wee Willie" Allen, Walt Ellison and a few others drive his cars back in the day. My grandfather, Otis Dunham, owned the #5 (tilted back) cars, aka "Naughty Marietta". He was always working on the cars in the pits with my Great Grandfather and Great Uncle Roland. His love for racing was past on through the years to his family. Grampa use to talk fondly about the races and had kept many friendships through the years. One year, before Waterloo hosted the WASCAR (sp?) annual dinners, our family put together a picnic at my Grandparent's house that included many of the drivers. Watching "The Gang" sitting there, reminiscing over pictures, telling stories, laughing and even having a few quiet moments remembering those who have past was something I'll never forget. It was such an important part of all of their lives. Racing was such a big part of this area and I think having a Hall of Fame to recognize these men would be perfect!

P.S. If pictures are needed, don't hesitate to get in touch with me. We have TONS of pictures.

#844344 --- 07/18/08 04:31 PM Re: Maple Grove Speedway [Re: babyblueyes]
racefan73 Offline

Babyblue, could you by any chance post some of your pictures on here? I'd really enjoy seeing them and I think others would too.

#844355 --- 07/18/08 05:36 PM Re: Maple Grove Speedway [Re: County Line]
rusty Offline

Loc: New York
I couldnt agree more with the HOF for the Maple Grove Raceway. Its long over due. I have two people that would be good for the HOF my Father-he's the only one to get black flag while driving the water truck and my father-in-law, he raced at Maple Grove when it first open. I was talking to Gordie Wood about driving around the ole raceway, I asked him if he had any flashbacks and he told me that he wanted to mash on the pedal coming around the fourth turn and second turn. Bobby Cain and Larry Nye misses the ole raceway too.. These three drivers along with a few others would put on the best show on dirt. These driver will always be the best drivers in dirt bare none. Oh yeah I almost forgot I use to drive in the push cart races during intermission back in '65 and '66. We some great times back then great times.

Edited by rusty (07/18/08 05:38 PM)

#844525 --- 07/18/08 09:14 PM Re: Maple Grove Speedway [Re: County Line]
doc526 Offline

Loc: Geneva,NY USA
Thank you for attending the show at Maple Grove Speedway. John McCardell was invited and didnt come. Walt Mitchell was invited and did not want to come. Wee Willie Allen is in Florida and I was unable to contact him. Dutch Hoag was invited but had recent surgery and was unable to make the trip. If you have any addresses of former drivers let me know and I will contact them for next years show. Thanks Again for yoour comments.

#844632 --- 07/19/08 06:07 AM Re: Maple Grove Speedway [Re: doc526]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
What and where was the Maple Grove Speedway?

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#844644 --- 07/19/08 06:42 AM Re: Maple Grove Speedway [Re: Gio]
kids6k Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls Village
At the county fair grounds. Was the original name of the track..

#844649 --- 07/19/08 06:52 AM Re: Maple Grove Speedway [Re: kids6k]
Ranger Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: GOD's 1/2 acre
you'll have to excuse Gio, he's only lived here all his life, and it was a very sheltered life at that, why do you think he moved to Cayuga County

#844732 --- 07/19/08 12:22 PM Re: Maple Grove Speedway [Re: racefan73]
babyblueyes Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY, US
Originally Posted By: racefan73
Babyblue, could you by any chance post some of your pictures on here? I'd really enjoy seeing them and I think others would too.

Sure thing! Give me a few days to get them gathered up and scanned. (Class Reunion this weekend.) I also have newspaper clippings from the races too if you're interested in taking a look.

#844909 --- 07/19/08 08:30 PM Re: Maple Grove Speedway [Re: babyblueyes]
racefan73 Offline

That would be great! I'd love to see the pictures and clippings as I'm sure others would too! Thanks alot!