FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#825952 --- 06/13/08 11:03 PM Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
Such a shame to see what was once a very nicely run home for woman, picked apart, disolved, and finally assets turned over to a HUD agency. HUD - not even in Seneca Falls, the $367,370 dollars will go to people outside of Seneca Falls....

The Condo's did not make it on those poor backs of woman that were booted out of their home....how sad....

Hope the people involved are proud of the outcome...

FingerLakes1.com
#825953 --- 06/13/08 11:08 PM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
racefan73 Offline

Loc: seneca-cayuga
Why should HUD get the money? I don't think that it should go to them. How about the one of nursing homes? As best of my knowledge, there aren't any nursing homes in SF, but at least the elderly could benefit some even if it went to the nursing homes in Waterloo. I too, feel bad for those ladies that were living at the Johnson Home getting booted out of there.

#825954 --- 06/13/08 11:17 PM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: racefan73]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Yep the money went to an agency that administers HUD money give-a-ways to low income people.....as well as landlords that rent to low income people.

So the s-lords now get more money to run even more operations.....

How disrespectful to the Johnson Home origninal founder and the former residents....

#825968 --- 06/14/08 03:48 AM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
seneca_lady Offline

Loc: seneca falls
i agree i feel bad for the woman that lost there home..

#825975 --- 06/14/08 04:34 AM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Ranger Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: GOD's 1/2 acre
Originally Posted By: Z Genius Lusifer
The Condo's did not make it on those poor backs of woman that were booted out of their home....how sad....

1st off, the Johnson Home closed because it couldn't meet State codes, without major renovations, and it wasn't making money enough for that.

The parnership that tried to build a dream found out, that expensive townhouses in SF was a crazy idea. Who wants to buy a $150,000 apartment? But try they did. There's just no draw to Seneca Falls for that. There's nothing here for people to want to live in that kind of a setting.

#826009 --- 06/14/08 06:58 AM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: Ranger]
Gold Member

Seneca Housing gets Johnson Home assets

By DAVID L. SHAW / Finger Lakes Times
Tuesday, June 10, 2008 10:56 AM CDT

SENECA FALLS - The legal dissolution of the Johnson Home for Indigent Females Inc., at 57 Cayuga St., has led to the transfer of its $367,370 in assets to Seneca Housing Inc.

Board members of the Johnson Home and Seneca Housing were to meet today for lunch at the Holiday Inn to celebrate the transfer.

The assets consisted primarily of proceeds from the sale of the Johnson Home property two years ago. Robert E. Kernan, president of the Johnson Home board of directors, said that under state law, the surviving assets of a dissolved not-for-profit corporation must be transferred to a not-for-profit that provides similar services to the local community.

The Johnson Home was opened Dec. 1, 1898. Successful businessman Justus B. Johnson, with the blessing of his wife, Mary Frances, provided in his will for the conversion of his private residence to a home for women in need. He also created an endowment to maintain it, dictated the institution's name and set up the first board of trustees to form the corporation to control and maintain the non-sectarian home.

Various financial factors caused the home to close in September 2005. During its existence, more than 500 women had lived at the adult care home.

Seneca Housing was established in 1972 with a mission to help provide fair and adequate housing for low-income, elderly and distressed people. The agency administers the Section 8 housing choice voucher program and other housing programs in Seneca County.

“The mission of the Johnson Home and Seneca Housing are very similar in purpose and vision,'' Kernan said.

He said he and other Johnson Home board members SueEllen Crego, Brien Rogers, Howard Scutt, Kathleen Suffredini, Abbie Gazely and Jack Riley all agreed that the transfer of assets to Seneca Housing will “help ensure the continuation of the mission and vision of the Johnson Home in supporting housing for the needy in Seneca County.''

“We are extremely gratified with the additional infusion of funds from the Johnson Home,'' said Mary McDonald, executive director of Seneca Housing. “We will now be able to expand our service base in Seneca County to include financial fitness training, foreclosure counseling, first-time homebuyer assistance, homeowner repair assistance, landlord repair assistance and related preservation and development of safe, decent and affordable housing ...”
The Johnson Home had experienced operating deficits over several years. After exploring alternatives to continuing the home, Kernan said the board reluctantly prepared a plan for its closure that was approved by the state Health Department in August 2005.

The plan allowed for a smooth transition for its residents and staff.

“The board took this action with great regret, noting the long history of service that the Johnson Home provided to the Seneca Falls and Seneca County community,'' Kernan said.

He said the state's reimbursement rate for adult care homes was not enough to ensure the long-term survival of this type of adult care facility.

“This unfortunate circumstance has accelerated the closure of many of those types of homes throughout the state, driving more needy people into more expensive nursing homes, which will ultimately increase the cost of adult care for our senior population, along with costing the state and its taxpayers millions of dollars more each year,'' Kernan said.

The property was purchased two years ago by a group called Johnson Home Development Corp., which is remodeling the building and marketing it as condominiums.

dshaw@fltimes.com

#826010 --- 06/14/08 06:59 AM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: ]
Gold Member

Lusi, was one of the JH directors involved in the condo fiasco?

#826029 --- 06/14/08 08:06 AM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: Ranger]
Teacher73 Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY, Seneca
Originally Posted By: Ranger

1st off, the Johnson Home closed because it couldn't meet State codes, without major renovations, and it wasn't making money enough for that.

The parnership that tried to build a dream found out, that expensive townhouses in SF was a crazy idea. Who wants to buy a $150,000 apartment? But try they did. There's just no draw to Seneca Falls for that. There's nothing here for people to want to live in that kind of a setting.

It is a sad truth, but there it is. The folks that served on the board were left with no alternatives. It's not like they could raise taxes to help. Tough times for a local institution started long ago by community leaders with all the best intentions. Too bad times have changed.

#826034 --- 06/14/08 08:21 AM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: ]
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
According to the condo website: http://www.1865condos.com/ :

Bill Jones, a former resident of Seneca Falls, was hired to manage its redevelopment. (Doesn't Brad Jones have a brother named Bill?)

Seneca Falls Savings Bank handles the financing. (Isn't that where Kernan, also on the board of the Johnson Home, is the CEO and President?)

Finally, the IDA gave the Condo Development group sales tax exemptions, mortgage tax exemptions, and a partial property tax exemption through a PILOT. (See August 06 minutes). At least Kernan and Jones abstained from the vote.

Harry S. Truman

#826079 --- 06/14/08 09:43 AM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: all seeing eye]
Brightday Offline

So the Seneca Housing group wants to help people in SENECA COUNTY who are in need. What's wrong with that? Isn't that what the Johnsons wanted to begin with. Specifically in their day, it was womwn. Times have changed.

#826087 --- 06/14/08 10:01 AM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: Brightday]
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
The not for profit law requires that when a charity dissolves, the assets have to go to another charity with the same or similar purpose. I don't have a problem with the assets going to help needy people with housing.

I do have a concern if the people on the board benefited from the decision.

Harry S. Truman

#826116 --- 06/14/08 11:26 AM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: all seeing eye]
Brightday Offline

Agree. But much remains to be seen.

#826124 --- 06/14/08 12:05 PM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: Brightday]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

The Johnson Home (not for profit) board of directors NEVER solicited funding from the community to continue it's local presence and betterment of the quality of life for Seneca Falls residents publically to my knowledge.

Maybe if there were fund drive or benefactor events or requests made it could have continued.

I think "GOLD" in them there hills clouded the clear thinking stewards from seeking local support.

I wonder how much that beautiful building has rotted away since physically removing those poor woman from their homes (what they thought was their last home).

#826178 --- 06/14/08 03:27 PM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: all seeing eye
According to the condo website: http://www.1865condos.com/ :

Bill Jones, a former resident of Seneca Falls, was hired to manage its redevelopment. (Doesn't Brad Jones have a brother named Bill?)

Seneca Falls Savings Bank handles the financing. (Isn't that where Kernan, also on the board of the Johnson Home, is the CEO and President?)

Finally, the IDA gave the Condo Development group sales tax exemptions, mortgage tax exemptions, and a partial property tax exemption through a PILOT. (See August 06 minutes). At least Kernan and Jones abstained from the vote.

Seneca-Cayuga Bancorp Inc.

SCAY INSIDERS ON BOARD OF DIRECTORS*

Robert Kernan Jr.
Menzo Case

Other Board Members on Board of Directors*

Bradford Jones
David Swenson
Vincent Sinicropi
August Sinicropi
Frank Nicchi
Gerald Macaluso
Herbert Holden
Marilyn Bero

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/board.asp?symbol=SCAY.OB

Edited by Festus! (06/14/08 03:29 PM)

#826219 --- 06/14/08 06:16 PM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: ]
JET Offline

Loc: south of 336
they ought to give the building to seneca housing and they can restart the johnson home.

#826344 --- 06/15/08 06:14 AM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: Ranger]
swampmonster Offline

Loc: seneca county
Originally Posted By: Ranger

Not True! They had grandfather clause for any of the building codes never had a problem with any violations on the building.
It was the ones who had big dreams of getting richer that closed the home. And the neighbor also wanted an elite neighborhood. He didnt like the little old ladies.

#826345 --- 06/15/08 06:19 AM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: racefan73]
swampmonster Offline

Loc: seneca county
Originally Posted By: racefan73
Why should HUD get the money? I don't think that it should go to them. How about the one of nursing homes? As best of my knowledge, there aren't any nursing homes in SF, but at least the elderly could benefit some even if it went to the nursing homes in Waterloo. I too, feel bad for those ladies that were living at the Johnson Home getting booted out of there.

Better Hud then the Libary and other places the Board Of Trustees were looking at. Hud at least is helping the poor as Did Mr. Johnson's Home of Ladies did. I dont think anyone is getting rich off that part anyway.

#826503 --- 06/15/08 01:07 PM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: swampmonster]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

It is a shame all that could have been done, was not done...

#826510 --- 06/15/08 01:29 PM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Denny Crane Offline

Loc: Seneca County
I never saw a real estate listing for the property - nor did I ever see a for sale sign on the property before the Johnson home board sold it to the current owners.

Was it ever listed for sale in the MLS (multiple listing service) or through a real estate broker?

#826514 --- 06/15/08 01:49 PM Re: Esteemed Johnson Home assets handed over to HUD [Re: Denny Crane]
Brightday Offline

I believe it was a private sale. Johnson Home was owned by its corporation, it was not government owned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >